Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is this some really abstract way of showing the different elevation levels of the whole planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Quit Doxxing my latest hernia examination

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is this some really abstract way of showing the different elevation levels of the whole planet?

I'm on my phone so searching by image is hard, but I believe that's an exaggerated gravity map.

Fridtjof Nansen
Jun 12, 2013

People find it difficult to resist your persuasive manner.

Sire Oblivion posted:

What the Earth would look like with no water?

Fridtjof Nansen has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jan 26, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This fight scene was shot right outside my office, I pass the church whose tree Johnny 5 drops out of every day.

bring back old gbs has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Jan 26, 2015

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Haruharuharuko has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jan 26, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

WTF am I looking at?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Fridtjof Nansen posted:

Quick cuts, fire it away from their face.

Amazingly, action movies were made before the dawn of lazy computer graphics.

Ironically, this movie does, in fact, contain some really terrible CGI. (9 second mark, and it's not the 144p bitrate, it does look that bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-40a6SB9DSU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Here's a better representation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H6vmLgJHOk

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's the Earth without water, which is a completely different thing.

The gif is a Potsdam Gravity Potato - http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap141215.html

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yeah, it's an exaggerated gravity map (the geoid), essentially a map that shows what the ocean level would be based entirely on Earth's gravity alone. Higher areas equal greater mass in the crust and below.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The best is the numerous times I've seen it in Tumblr where either the OP deliberately doesn't say it's a gravity map to troll people, or is just an idiot, and then there are a bunch of responses from more idiots along the lines of,

"OMG, I had no idea the Earth really looked like that!"

Fridtjof Nansen
Jun 12, 2013

People find it difficult to resist your persuasive manner.

Dillbag posted:

Ironically, this movie does, in fact, contain some really terrible CGI. (9 second mark, and it's not the 144p bitrate, it does look that bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-40a6SB9DSU

drat, you know your smoke effects are bad when you can spot them through 144p.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here is a cow doing that excited dog jumping thing

VVV A magnet that can snap together so hard it breaks itself? I'm sure we could weaponize this, it's exactly what the world needs

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

"gently caress all y'all."

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/01/20/11-mind-blowing-split-depth-3d-gifs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

VVV A magnet that can snap together so hard it breaks itself? I'm sure we could weaponize this, it's exactly what the world needs

It's not actually uncommon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC13_BkDieU

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

quote:

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. This video was recorded by trained professionals in a controlled environment.

Says the guy with a bandage on his finger playing with magnets.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

kinmik posted:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Did you mean to post magnets, or more cows?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This episode was weird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You do not want to gently caress around with Neodymium magnets. Those things are insane, and if they come together it's nigh-impossible to easily split the fuckers afterwards.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

kinmik posted:

Glitching video game physics.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Science gifs are cool.
White blood cells engulfing a parasite.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You do not want to gently caress around with [large] Neodymium magnets. Those things are insane, and if they come together it's nigh-impossible to easily split the fuckers afterwards.

The little ones are fun!

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jan 27, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

kinmik posted:

I wonder how expensive those magnets were..

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

sirbeefalot posted:

The little ones are fun!
You don't want to gently caress with the little ones either. Apparently there have been cases of little kids swallowing those itty-bitty neodymium magnets and having one find a magnet that was swallowed a few hours previously and sticking to it. That said magnet is in a different part of the intestines is immaterial.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

sirbeefalot posted:

The little ones are fun!

I donated to the kickstarter. They changed the magnets due to law changes in Canada and it does not do that neat trick.

It bounces once, maybe twice, and stops. Likewise the spinning does not work as well as pictured.

:(

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

Science gifs are cool.
White blood cells engulfing a parasite.

Does this actually kill the parasite?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Source?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdTsIBstV00

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

New Leaf posted:

These are a bit smaller maybe? Probably somewhere between the $130 on this site and like $200 each.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0Y0X0-N52

I got a handful of 1/2 inch cubes a few years back, and they're fun. You could probably stick a ream of paper to your fridge with them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Lavender posted:

These are a bit smaller maybe? Probably somewhere between the $130 on this site and like $200 each.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0Y0X0-N52

I got a handful of 1/2 inch cubes a few years back, and they're fun. You could probably stick a ream of paper to your fridge with them.

I know those buckyballs basically did this but you could really gently caress someone up by grinding one of those cubes into a powder and feeding it to someone

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You do not want to gently caress around with Neodymium magnets. Those things are insane, and if they come together it's nigh-impossible to easily split the fuckers afterwards.
I work a night shift job that involves handling several hundred kgs of powerful magnets (not neodymium I think). For regulation purposes they're classified as explosives. :stare:
Suffice to say I'm glad I don't have any piercings. Still can't avoid having to use magnetic tools nearby so you've gotta watch your hands.

On my first day I got to hold a thin screwdriver with my hand on the magnets. It felt like holding one of these pieces of poo poo filled with bricks:

New Leaf posted:

The ones we use are several dozen euro's a piece, also brittle as poo poo. On my first work day I already broke more than I got paid :downs:

Have a gif of the end product (the dark grey slab) Several thousand rare earth magnets creating a magnetic field for modules to levitate on in semiconductor manufacturing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

truther posted:

I donated to the kickstarter. They changed the magnets due to law changes in Canada and it does not do that neat trick.

It bounces once, maybe twice, and stops. Likewise the spinning does not work as well as pictured.

:(

I thought mine were just defective. That sucks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I know those buckyballs basically did this but you could really gently caress someone up by grinding one of those cubes into a powder and feeding it to someone
Wouldn't it just stick together in a big lump?

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wouldn't it just stick together in a big lump?

Feed them some for breakfast, then some for lunch.
They will die of internal bleeding as it crushes together and grinds their intestines open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...