Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hollismason posted:

Eh, the Reanimation Protocols are a good and a bad thing making it just another save makes it a bit faster gameplay wise, but helps in areas like assault and people not surrounding the Bargelord to make him not be able to get back up.

It'll help units like Lychguard, who are 25 points a model, and actually worth it now. Praetorians apparently are the same cost as Lychguard.

Entropic Strike is a bit weird now, 6s autoglance is actually pretty interesting.

It's another poo poo on what was once an interesting part of the necron fluff is what it is, hard to forge when they suck the narrative out of it before it gets to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Fuegan posted:

So Entropic Strike is just gauss in close combat? Good to see there's no shortage of imagination in the design team these days.

This is one of those times where the simplification of a relatively complex rule makes sense and bringing it in-line with an already accepted mechanic will make things smoother without really impacting the outcome. No more rolling buckets of dice to learn whether of not to change a normally set-in-stone number to something lower, which is then tracked to be used for future combats. I suppose one could argue that there was some level of synergy between Canoptek Scarabs and other shooting units because the Scarabs could shred the armor off and then the rest of the armor could shoot it, but generally in practice if a full unit of Scarabs made it into base contact the vehicle was doomed and if just one or two bases made it it didn't really mean much of anything. Not to mention half the army has that same Gauss property on its guns, so whether the Land Raider was AV14 or AV11 didn't make much of a difference.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
No one's telling you you can't lay your models on their sides then roll for the reanimation protocol, it's not that big a deal. Some ways it's better some ways it's worse.

It's a bit faster, less to keep track of. Helps in some areas it just being a save. Hurts in areas like the shooting phase because if you make your saves then you get to get shot at again. Helps with units like Lychguard who are assault units.

Helps with models like the Bargelord.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fuegan posted:

So Entropic Strike is just gauss in close combat? Good to see there's no shortage of imagination in the design team these days.

Cutting out yet another dice roll and its attendant book keeping is actually good design.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

No one's telling you you can't lay your models on their sides then roll for the reanimation protocol, it's not that big a deal. Some ways it's better some ways it's worse.

Just a reminder: Reanimation Protocols is no longer cancelled if your unit fails its Leadership check. This is a significant bonus.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

It certainly streamlines it (which I agree is a good thing) but it's still a shame to see a pretty fun mechanic disappear. Fun for the Necron players at least. I'm more disappointed that the Lychguard shields lost their ability to reflect stuff. Bouncing an opponent's krak missiles into their own tank was awesome.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I actually like that Reanimation Protocols is just a fake save now. It will work when a unit is wiped out, and there's no way an opponent can stop it by standing around the dead dude's body.

It was a fun mechanic, but it was also a pain in the rear end sometimes. Lots of grey areas.

MSS better be like 5 or ten points.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's also not many things in the codex that even had it, I think voidblades and Scarabs, that's it.

Disappointed that the Lychguard apparently are not going to be able to use Ghost Arks, so yes even though they've gotten a huge point reduction they still have no legit transport.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So now mindshackle scarabs pretty much just kill 1-6 orks

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hm. Thinking about it, taking the bookkeeping out of Reanimation isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hrm.

Gomo
Mar 26, 2012
Anyone going to the HH weekender that's willing to buy the IW model for me?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Did someone post where the guy was answering questions?

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/48760/new-necrons-codex?page=5

I am not surprised at all about Mind Shackle Scarabs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm A-okay with all those Necron changes. Reducing bookkeeping streamlines play, and MSS causing Fear on 3D6 is, well, not the worst thing in the world I guess. Problem is that most things that you'd use them on are Fearless or have ATSKNF so it's insanely situational. I like the idea of it reducing effectiveness of what you're fighting instead of flat out taking control away from the owning player though. That was a frustrating mechanic.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Sword & Board Lychguards are +5 points, for a total of 30. Still pretty drat meh.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SRM posted:

I'm A-okay with all those Necron changes. Reducing bookkeeping streamlines play, and MSS causing Fear on 3D6 is, well, not the worst thing in the world I guess. Problem is that most things that you'd use them on are Fearless or have ATSKNF so it's insanely situational. I like the idea of it reducing effectiveness of what you're fighting instead of flat out taking control away from the owning player though. That was a frustrating mechanic.

My thing about it is as-it-was was a frustrating experience for both sides. Most things you're attacking is going to be Ld10, meaning you're almost exactly a 50/50 between "haha you hit yourself in the face" and "aw man that didn't work and I take five AP2 hits to the face before I go why did I pay for this?! /die". Provided it's costed properly, it's a solid bonus for assaulting non-Fearless units and not the primary build for your Overlord/Lord. It's no longer a brainless decision, it's something you can put aside if you need those 5-15pts for something else.

Almost everything I've seen so far is a solid boost to the codex and some minor fixes. MSS should not be the reason why you're fielding an entire army and the new mechanic is still pretty drat solid, moreso if you're fighting a WS4+ model.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mindshackle Scarabs: The Deathroller of the Necron book.

OK that's not fair, MSS might actually affect something every now and again.

Mixed feelings about new protocols, it's easier to remember but less chance of removing a whole unit to prevent them coming back.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Sword & Board Lychguards are +5 points, for a total of 30. Still pretty drat meh.

If Warscythes stay the same, then they're pretty drat good for 25 ppm. Hopefully they'll let you mix and match.

I'm waiting on the exact rules for the Resurrection Orb if it's a one per army or a one use item.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Sounds like Living Metal got a bit of a boost with the ability to regain a hull point on the roll of a 6 each turn.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As dumb as it is, I've been hosed so hard by Fear with my Eldar on more than one occasion. It's actually pretty sweet when it works (which is not often). 3D6 makes it pretty decent though IMO.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If Warscythes stay the same, then they're pretty drat good. Hopefully they'll let you mix and match.

The way he described it seems like it's either scythes or sword & board :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I read that as well which will be disappointing, however 25 points for a hopefully 3+ 5++ T5 with 2 ST7 AP2 attacks that have armour bane is what we'll be getting. Of course we still have no transport for them, other than the Nightscythe.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 26, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I read that as well which will be disappointing, however 25 points for a hopefully 3+ 5++ T5 with 2 ST7 AP2 attacks that have armour bane is what we'll be getting. Of course we still have no transport for them, other than the Nightscythe.

You can grab Ghost Arks from the FA slot now. Not sure if they can start embarked on it though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

You can grab Ghost Arks from the FA slot now. Not sure if they can start embarked on it though.

I am holding out hope for this that the restriction is gone from Ghost Arks, that's a small price to pay to get them into a Transport.

Also, Flayed Ones got a pretty nice bonus. 13 PPM for 4 Attacks that Shred, Cause fear , Fearless, infiltrating large blocks of up to 20.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

1. Codex specifically states: "Snap Shots never cause additional hits as a result of this special rule".

2. Night Scythe is 130 points. They still have invasion beams.

3. Gauss auto wounds on a 6, and auto glances on a 6. No double strength.

4. Tomb Blades have twin linked gauss blasters. These can be exchanged with twin linked Tesla Carbines for free, or Particle Beamers for 2 points / model

5. Anrakyr is 160 points.

6. Triarch Praetorians are 140 points for a squad of 5. Their Rod of Covenant has a 12" range.

7. The Doomsday Ark is Heavy Support (again, see my earlier post about Crons not using standard Force Org though). It still has t be stationary to fire.

8. Monolith: 200 points, 14 AV all around, BS4, 4HP. Four gauss flayer arcs, Particle Whip, Eternity Gate, Deep Strike, Living Metal.

I am not a Cron player, but I think the Obelisk is new? It's like a superheavy version of the Monolith. 300 points, 14AV all around, BS4, 4HP. Four Tesla Spheres, and all enemy flyer, skimmer, jetbike, and FMCs treat terrain within 18" of the Obelisk as dangerous terrain. Zooming flyers and FMCs must also take a dangerous terrain test. The Obelisk can be "powered down" and gain 3+ invuln, but cannot move or shoot. Deep striking obelisks are always powered up. Once powered up, it cannot power down again.

9. The Spyder can add a single Canoptek Scarab base to a scarab unit within 6", at the start of the movement phase, even if it raises it past the starting amount. Roll a D6 after that, and it takes a wound on a 1.

10. Cryptek:

65 points, HQ, Infantry (character)

WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W2 Iw A1 Ld10 Sv.4+

Staff of Light, may take a chronometron (25 points), may take items from Technoarcana or Artefacts of the Aeons

Reanimation Protocols

Technomancer: This model and all models with the Reanimation Protocols rule in his unit receive +1 to Reanimation Protocol rolls (posted the rules for RP earlier in the thread)

Obelisk finally brought up to AV14, and its main gimmick got shat on. Brilliant.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Obelisk finally brought up to AV14, and its main gimmick got shat on. Brilliant.

Uh did we just lose all the Harbingers, cause that reads like there are no more Harbingers and instead everything is rolled up into being Cryptek.

The increase of +1 Reanimation Protocol is pretty good. Added in with the Reroll Failed 1s, that's not bad. 65 points though.

Also, was off by 5 points on the price increase of the Nightscythe, 130 points is still pretty good.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 26, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Uh did we just lose all the Harbingers, cause that reads like there are no more Harbingers and instead everything is rolled up into being Cryptek.

The increase of +1 Reanimation Protocol is pretty good. Added in with the Reroll Failed 1s, that's not bad. 65 points though.

Yep. Hide yo guitars, hide yo magic sticks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Yep. Hide yo guitars, hide yo magic sticks.

Yeah that sucks but only because I converted models to be very specific harbingers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Yeah, I like the Cryptek change, too. Bundles the complicated mess of Harbingers into a simple stronger model with a ton of options. Makes them feel more important and powerful.

A unit of Lychguard and a Cryptek seems pretty strong even without any other special equipment or army bonuses. 3++ and then a 4+ necward save? Okay.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They also got bumped up to 2 wounds which is nice still 65 points though, little bit pricey there.

There's no reason to really freak out we still haven't seen all those items they talk about and the Chronometron is obviously still in.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Barge stuff now.

quote:

Catacomb Command Barge - HQ, 135 points

This is taken in place of your Overlord (he sits inside the thing) WS5 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I2 A3 Ld10 Sv.3+

Catacomb Command Barge BS4, 11AV all around, HP3

Overlord has his usual stuff (staff of light, Reanimation, can buy extra wargear, etc.)

Catacomb Command Barge has a Gauss Cannon (can switch to Tesla Cannon), Quantum Shielding, and Living Metal.

Command Wave: All Necron friendlies within 12" re-roll failed morale, pinning, and fear tests. If the warlord in the barge has the Immortal Hubris trait (see earlier in thread), command wave range extends to 18".

Annihilation Barge - Heavy Support, 120 points

BS4, AV 11 all around, HP3

Gauss cannon (can switch to Tesla), Twin linked tesla destructor, Quantum shielding, Living Metal

My bad - the annihilation barge is in a formation I forgot to list. The Annihilation nexus, which has two Annihilation Barges and 1 Doomsday Ark.

Now hopefully the poster clarifies if Quantum Shielding got nerfed or not.

quote:

I see nothing in the Ghost Ark entry that says non-warriors can ride it.

Destroyers are 40 points per destroyer, and upgrade to heavy destroyers for +10 points. Fast Attack, Jet Pack Infantry

WS4 BS4 S4 T5 W2 I2 A1 Ld10 Sv.3+
(Heavy destroyers have the same Stat Line.)

Destroyers have a Gauss cannon, heavy destroyers have a heavy gauss cannon.

Preferred enemy, Reclamation Protocols, Very Bulky

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 26, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

They also got bumped up to 2 wounds which is nice still 65 points though, little bit pricey there.

There's no reason to really freak out we still haven't seen all those items they talk about and the Chronometron is obviously still in.

The Tyranid Prime got hit with a 45pt increase for literally no reason, so a 40pt bump for more powers and +1W is a good deal. It's a silly example, really, but at least you're getting something for it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I would be more upset about the Annihilation Barge point increase if it weren't for the fact that Destroyers and H. Destroyers got two wounds and pretty much stayed the same price.

Everything that's been shown so far is either " That's good" or " I am not surprised that happened".

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Barge stuff now.

Holy poo poo Barges are great. We finally get that thematic "fluffy" effect of their Lord and master urging them forward to do their will with bonuses and everything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They also got a pretty hefty reduction in price. Old base price of 170 to 135 base is pretty awesome.

Praetorians are 28 Points per model now, kind of nice.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 26, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

They also got a pretty hefty reduction in price. Old base price of 170 to 135 base is pretty awesome.

And Overlords went down by 10 points I think? Overbarges are sweet, 120 point Annibarges not so much with the tesla nerf.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah Overlords went down by ten points and got a increase in WS and BS. That's a deal. I'm not upset by Annihilation barges going up to 120, we still haven't seen what the rules for it are and what that formation bonus does.

120 seems high, but then it's like 90 is to inexpensive, plus with a over all point cost reduction across the board. That's pretty good.

Everyone knew the Tesla nerf was coming. It shouldn't have worked that way but it did because of a edition change.

Flayed ones got a bit better 4 attacks base now as they have a extra CC weapon, Cause Fear, and have Shred. Not bad for a 4+ 5++ model. Going to have to try them out being able to infiltrate a huge 20 Number strong unit.

Heavy Destroyers are 10 points cheaper as well.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 26, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Overlords getting WS5 is crucial as hell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uh do we have a gif for like a loving Necron dance party or something

quote:

The Ghost Ark has no rule saying that only warriors can ride in it. It is just a transport.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I think I'll just use my Tesseract Ark as a Doomsday Ark because my desire to build and paint yet another Ghost Ark is pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
More.

quote:

On the Doomsday Cannon:

Low Power 24", S8 AP3, Heavy, Blast

High Power 72" S10 AP1, Primary Weapon 1, Large Blast, Divert Power (must be stationary)

I don't see anything about Tomblades being able to increase armour save or jink.

Technoarcana is as follows:

Chronometron - The model and his unit have 5+ invuln. against shooting attacks

Dispersion shield - Model has 3+ invuln., cannot claim Two Weapon bonus

Fabricator Claw Array - During shooting phase, instead of shooting, a model with the claw can repair a single friendly vehicle in base contact. D6 roll: on a 4+, restore a hull point or repair weapon destroyed or immobilised result, effective immediately.

Gloom Prism - Model and all units within 12" have Adamantium Will.

Mindshackle Scarabs 10pts - During a challenge, model with the scarabs causes Fear. Ld. tests against the model are taken on 3D6.

Nebuloscope - model ignores cover when shooting

Phase Shifter 25pts - 4+ invuln. save, but only for the model and not any chariot it rides on

Phylactery 15pts - It Will Not Die, for both the model and any chariot it rides on

Resurrection Orb 25pts- Once per game, after an unsuccessful reanimation roll has been made for the model (or another model in the same unit), you can re-roll it and any other failed reanimation rolls (for the model and its unit) until end of phase.

Shadowloom - +1 cover save (6+ in the open)

Shield Vanes - 3+ armour save

Artefacts of the Aeons

Gauntlet of Conflagrator 30pts- Template, S7 AP2, Assault 1, One Use Only

Nightmare Shroud 35pts- 2+ armour save and fear. Once per game can force enemy unit within 18" to take a morale check (Fearless and Know No Fear units are immune)

Orb of Eternity 40pts- See the Resurrection Orb above, except this also gives +1 to the reanimation rolls

Solar Staff 15pts- 12", S5 AP3, Assault 3, Blind, Solar Pulse
Solar Pulse: Once per game, at the start of any turn, cancel night fighting for the turn. When activated, enemy units can only fire snap shots at the model and its unit until the staff bearer's next turn.

Veil of Darkness 25pts- Deep strike. Once per game, can remove itself and its unit from the table and immediately deep strike somewhere else (even if locked in assault)

Voidreaper 30pts- S+2 AP2, Melee, Armourbane, Fleshbane, Master Crafted, Two Handed

Anrakyr the Traveller:

160 points, Character, HQ

WS5 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I2 A3 Ld10 Sv.3+

Tachyon arrow and Warscythe

Warlord Trait is Implacable Conqueror (see earlier post in thread)

Counter-attack, Furious Charge, IC, Reanimation

Mind in the Machine: At start of shooting phase, choose an enemy vehicle within 12". On a 4+, randomly select one of that vehicle's weapons (no choosing one use weapons that have already been fired off though, or destroyed weapons) and shoot the weapon at another enemy unit. Use the vehicle's BS, unless it is stunned or shaken (then snap shots only). Tyranids laugh at this.

Pyrrhian Eternals - At start of game, before deployment, nominate one friendly unit of immortals. They have Furious charge and counter-attack.

10 points for the scary scarabs, hah.

• Locked thread