Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

You should be able to direct play content from your Plex server without the need for transcoding on your Roku TV. Is it connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EconOutlines posted:

I'm currently using PHT with a Logitech K400. It works well, but I'm looking for something more 'streamlined', like an actual remote. Anybody have a favorite method for controlling it?

Amazon Firestick and others work great for on the go, but I find PHT to be smoother, and has access to more features vs it.

Harmony smart control. The small remote works really well.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

Man, the Roku 3 I bought, really can't handle anything over 10mb 1080 streams. Some work fine, but some others will start introducing major artifacts. This is consistent with several 1080p files and among all my roku 3s. Backing down the quality to 8mb in the plex app usually fixes it.

This is a wired connection too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

Man, the Roku 3 I bought, really can't handle anything over 10mb 1080 streams. Some work fine, but some others will start introducing major artifacts. This is consistent with several 1080p files and among all my roku 3s. Backing down the quality to 8mb in the plex app usually fixes it.

That's not right at all, something is up either with your server, your Roku, or your network. When I had a Roku 3, I was able to direct play everything at full quality, no transcoding, without issue.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

teagone posted:

That's not right at all, something is up either with your server, your Roku, or your network. When I had a Roku 3, I was able to direct play everything at full quality, no transcoding, without issue.

I don't really think it's anything wrong with my server, or network. In fact, my server/network setup is probably overkill for plex in general. These same files that choke on the Roku 3 play perfectly via PHT, even on stuff like that Celeron NUC without transcoding. They're fairly high bitrate mkvs (don't know the exact, off the top of my head) though. Perhaps I have the roku 3 misconfigured, that's certainly a possibility, because I don't see that happening on any of the other plex clients I've used.

Backing down the quality so that it forces a transcode isn't really a huge deal for me. I honestly don't notice the difference too much at the 8mb 1080p setting.

But what is vastly more annoying to me, is Plexweb having the audio out of sync. I notice it's really only on video files that don't have a stereo audio stream, so it's transcoding the audio and direct playing the video, and doesn't sync them up properly. If I change it so that it's transcoding the video as well, all is in sync fine. It's annoying because when I'm at my computer, I play the vast majority of my stuff via plex web. Whenever I encounter the oos audio, I either switch the transcoding video on (not ideal) or use the windows 8 store plex app, which works perfectly fine.

I've pretty much tried Plex on everything you can run it on. And no plex client is perfect... each one is annoying in a different way from the last.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like the app dropped for US for ps3/ps4

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/apps/plex/cid=UP4544-CUSA01850_00-PLEX000000000000

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

I don't really think it's anything wrong with my server, or network. In fact, my server/network setup is probably overkill for plex in general. These same files that choke on the Roku 3 play perfectly via PHT, even on stuff like that Celeron NUC without transcoding. They're fairly high bitrate mkvs (don't know the exact, off the top of my head) though. Perhaps I have the roku 3 misconfigured, that's certainly a possibility, because I don't see that happening on any of the other plex clients I've used.

Backing down the quality so that it forces a transcode isn't really a huge deal for me. I honestly don't notice the difference too much at the 8mb 1080p setting.

But what is vastly more annoying to me, is Plexweb having the audio out of sync. I notice it's really only on video files that don't have a stereo audio stream, so it's transcoding the audio and direct playing the video, and doesn't sync them up properly. If I change it so that it's transcoding the video as well, all is in sync fine. It's annoying because when I'm at my computer, I play the vast majority of my stuff via plex web. Whenever I encounter the oos audio, I either switch the transcoding video on (not ideal) or use the windows 8 store plex app, which works perfectly fine.

I've pretty much tried Plex on everything you can run it on. And no plex client is perfect... each one is annoying in a different way from the last.

:shrug: I've never had any client playback issues with Plex in the ~3 years I've been using it. I've accessed my Plex server through Rokus, Chromecasts, Android/iOS devices, Windows/Ubuntu PCs, Macs, and Chromebooks; all handle playback just fine. I know there's a current bug with the web player in Chrome where if you resume playback, the audio gets out of sync. That's an issue with Chrome though, not Plex.

If you still have your Roku 3, go into the settings and make sure playback is set to "Direct Play" - I've direct played 30-40GB mkv files (roughly 40Mbps bitrate) on a Roku 3 served up from my Plex server without any problems.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Plex site says its limited to 720p on PS3.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Hi, I apologize for only reading the OP and a few pages in along with this one but just have a quick question.

I am a hardcore XBMC user, I use the mysql setup and use a windows htpc on my living room which I like because I can do steam streaming from my desktop to the htpc.

Does Plex have any sort of addon system like XBMC where I could put in a plugin to boot up steam big picture mode? Or am I doing it backwards and I would want the plex app as an option inside steam that would just stay on? Related, is the library function pretty similar in plex? part of why I like it is the WATCHED statuses, fanart and all that jazz.
XBMC is cool, but the new additions in the last 2 (maybe 3?) have all been things I'm not interested in like 3d movies and h265 when I'd really prefer not having to use mysql for database sharing and transcoding, things like that. :shobon:

Last question, would 5mbit upload be fast enough to share a 480p stream wherever?

Thanks all!

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
PS4 Plex is out for everybody with a pass now. I'm kind of surprised by how stuttery it is, though? I kind of expected the PS4 version to be have the smoothest transitions and browsing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah the PS3 app is a piece of poo poo. Disappointing.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Anyway to get a cheap lifetime plex pass? The current price really doesn't make sense for 5 years.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

5436 posted:

Anyway to get a cheap lifetime plex pass? The current price really doesn't make sense for 5 years.

The only way I know is go back in time when it was cheaper.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

The ps4 app is kinda weird as well, but I really like the interface.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Gyshall posted:

my PS3 and RPi running rasplex are both on wifi, connected to the same tv. The PS3 "buffered" all the time while trying to watch a movie. i gave up after a few minutes. my RPi works without issue.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cornjob posted:

my PS3 and RPi running rasplex are both on wifi, connected to the same tv. The PS3 "buffered" all the time while trying to watch a movie. i gave up after a few minutes. my RPi works without issue.

That was my experience. Still may replace the RPi with a fire stick though

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

5436 posted:

If the ps4 app is the only motivating factor here just get it for a year or go month to month. It'll be free to use eventually.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like plex has merged their apps

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/60585-plex-for-android/page-5#entry830723

NEW

- Move to a single free app, retiring "Plex for Plex Pass". Existing purchases and Plex Pass subscriptions carry over. Free app offers remote control and more, unlock with a Plex Pass or one-time purchase. Plex for Android TV remains a Plex Pass only preview.
- Browse and cast your local camera roll content to any remote player.
- Update user interface to use more modern Android styles.
- [ATV] Now supports movie extras.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Saw ATV and thought the Apple TV suddenly had an official app I knew nothing about. The Android theft cycle continues.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Hughlander posted:

That was my experience. Still may replace the RPi with a fire stick though

i have a fire stick connected to the same tv as well. ( got it for $20. ) it seems a bit more dependable than the PS3, but it still has occasional buffering. the lack of 5.1 support is the deal breaker on Fire stick. itll end up in the bedroom.

i have tried everything except the Roku. My current feeling is that RPi running PHT (aka rasplex) controlled by the iphone app is the most reliable, with the best image and sound quality. it has everything except a speedy on-your-tv interface. if youre ok using your phone browse titles, FF/RW, its rock solid.

My hope is that PHT + Openelec will work out their bugs. then you could source your own hardware to use PHT.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

How much of the content/channels do you pay for? I see that it has a ton of options, so I'm curious as to what people are actually paying for and using.

None.

All of that poo poo is garbage and the things that want money are hilariously lovely garbage.

I find myself using the TV(and by definition Roku) for 4 things:
plex, netflix, amazon and my chromecast.

teagone posted:

You should be able to direct play content from your Plex server without the need for transcoding on your Roku TV. Is it connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

Wifi, actually. I transcoded because I thought it'd save bandwidth?

fatpat268 posted:

Yeah, Roku TV is clearly using some pretty good hardware, they are not messing around. That said, I can't really tell the difference between 10mb and 20mb and I also just recently built this PC, so we're talking serious capability (i5 4690k and 16 gigs of ram). I don't even have the old MKV streaming issues I used to have with it.

It might not be your Roku which is giving you difficulty, as many people have said.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 26, 2015

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
OK Plex people, I am having some issues and am hoping to get some guidance, I will just include all information that may be relevant so this may be a little long.

I have PMS set up on my HTPC running Windows 7, it is an older gaming rig and should be plenty powerful. i5, 8GB RAM etc. Media is stored on that device on a WD 4TB RED connected via SATA. It is connected to my network via Ethernet and goes into a 8 port gigagbit switch. Inside the building I have a Roku 3 connected to my HDTV. The Roku is also connected to the network via Ethernet, into the same switch.

When watching movies (MKV) on the Roku the picture gets dropped intermittently. I am not sure I would say it is buffering, just that the display suddenly drops back to the page where you tell it to play the movie, for like a second at most, then flashes the little "loading" bar then resumes playback. This does not happen with every file, but there does not seem to be any particular pattern.

The files that I am playing are full size Blu Ray rips from my collection. I use makemkv and then do not compress at all. So, they are huge, 25-40GB generally. This problem persists when I direct play, as well as transcode at 20 and occasionally at 12. I haven't had an opportunity to really test comprehensively, but it seems to clear up as I force transcoding at lower bitrates.

Some googling around seems to imply that the Roku may not be capable of handling the incoming stream at these very high bitrates, does that sound correct? If so, would either of its competitors (Fire TV / Nexus Player) be able to handle it better? Am I fighting a losing battle trying to do this at max quality with anything other than a true HTPC? Or is there some other point of failure I am not considering? Thanks.

edit: as I write this apparently the post above seems to confirm that the Roku just cant handle it. Any thoughts on Fire TV / Nexus?

emocrat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 26, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

emocrat posted:

OK Plex people, I am having some issues and am hoping to get some guidance, I will just include all information that may be relevant so this may be a little long.

I have PMS set up on my HTPC running Windows 7, it is an older gaming rig and should be plenty powerful. i5, 8GB RAM etc. Media is stored on that device on a WD 4TB RED connected via SATA. It is connected to my network via Ethernet and goes into a 8 port gigagbit switch. Inside the building I have a Roku 3 connected to my HDTV. The Roku is also connected to the network via Ethernet, into the same switch.

When watching movies (MKV) on the Roku the picture gets dropped intermittently. I am not sure I would say it is buffering, just that the display suddenly drops back to the page where you tell it to play the movie, for like a second at most, then flashes the little "loading" bar then resumes playback. This does not happen with every file, but there does not seem to be any particular pattern.

The files that I am playing are full size Blu Ray rips from my collection. I use makemkv and then do not compress at all. So, they are huge, 25-40GB generally. This problem persists when I direct play, as well as transcode at 20 and occasionally at 12. I haven't had an opportunity to really test comprehensively, but it seems to clear up as I force transcoding at lower bitrates.

Some googling around seems to imply that the Roku may not be capable of handling the incoming stream at these very high bitrates, does that sound correct? If so, would either of its competitors (Fire TV / Nexus Player) be able to handle it better? Am I fighting a losing battle trying to do this at max quality with anything other than a true HTPC? Or is there some other point of failure I am not considering? Thanks.

edit: as I write this apparently the post above seems to confirm that the Roku just cant handle it. Any thoughts on Fire TV / Nexus?

I think you did solve your own question. Most people aren't using full blu-ray rips like you are! The transcode issue means either your CPU or Network aren't able to cope either. You need to check the CPU load & the network load in order to confirm that though. I'm assuming it's your network since you're able to watch at lower bitrate/qualities without a problem.

Direct Play means that the Roku is not capable of decoding the file on its own. I don't think the Fire TV/Nexus could handle it either because they're using the basic android build and my FireTV sometimes had issues with larger encodes & higher bitrates even when on my wired gigabit network. I think you're going to need something like the i3, maybe even i5 NUC in order to pull off full sized MKV's with direct play.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 26, 2015

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Have any of you Roku users tried RARFlix? Is it better than the official or test Plex channel?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I tried it but I couldn't really tell much difference. I was hoping it would have a more attractive interface, but it looks basically the same. I think it adds back in a few of the premium features but I couldn't find a reason to use it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

emocrat posted:

I don't have my Roku 3 anymore so I can't test, but I do remember it being able to direct play a ~30-40GB/30-40Mbps M2TS files. Maybe your network is choking on the bitrate? No idea. Actually... maybe it was my old WDTV that was able to play M2TS files. I'll grab another Roku 3 and my old WDTV this weekend to do some file testing to be sure.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

trilljester posted:

Have any of you Roku users tried RARFlix? Is it better than the official or test Plex channel?

It's better in terms of sorting features mainly which makes a big difference if you have a large collection. The official Plex channel on the Roku is awful for browsing large libraries.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

The Gunslinger posted:

It's better in terms of sorting features mainly which makes a big difference if you have a large collection. The official Plex channel on the Roku is awful for browsing large libraries.

I've got about 350 movies, and it's a pain to scroll through them. Am I missing something but is there a way to show movies as a list instead of side to side cover flow?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

I've got about 350 movies, and it's a pain to scroll through them. Am I missing something but is there a way to show movies as a list instead of side to side cover flow?

RARflix has a grid mode view that's similar to the default view in PHT from what I remember.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

RARflix has a grid mode view that's similar to the default view in PHT from what I remember.

I'd love that. Might be worth giving it a try.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the input yall. I just pulled the trigger on a Fire TV and a FLIRC. I figure ill see how I like the FIre vs the Roku, and if neither of them satisfy for Plex and my stupid compulsion for viewing gigantic files then I will just use the FLIRC on the PC with PHT.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The one channel I pay for apart from Netflix/Amazon Prime is Acorn TV. If you're the sort of nerd who watches a lot of "classic" British and Canadian drama, Acorn TV has a lot of stuff that's not on DVD or was never broadcast in the U.S., as well as the usuals.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have no idea what's going on with my Plex Media Server. I've switched over to using a TS140 with a WD Red, but I'm getting buffering problems on almost everything I do while watching inside my network. It's a Wireless N Network. I've got Windows 7 on the TS140, and watching Resource Monitor as it's buffering, absolutely nothing is amiss. Total CPU usage is under 40%, Hard Disk use is < 2MB sec (and I think most of that is accessing an external USB drive that doesn't have any of the Plex media on it), Memory is under 28% used (8GB server), and Network utilization is at 22Mbps. The computer also doubles as a download machine, however the downloads are to a completely different drive than the WD Red and the buffering still happens when I turn it off. I've turned off scanning media, figuring that since WD Reds are a bit slower that sort of indexing might be slowing me down, but it's done nothing.

All my stats are nowhere near max, or even 50% utilization, yet Plex buffers. It's not just a single device - both my Roku 3's are affected, and they're in different parts of the house and not at all next to each other.

Edit: I should say these are 720p videos

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 31, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mortanis posted:

I have no idea what's going on with my Plex Media Server. I've switched over to using a TS140 with a WD Red, but I'm getting buffering problems on almost everything I do while watching inside my network. It's a Wireless N Network. I've got Windows 7 on the TS140, and watching Resource Monitor as it's buffering, absolutely nothing is amiss. Total CPU usage is under 40%, Hard Disk use is < 2MB sec (and I think most of that is accessing an external USB drive that doesn't have any of the Plex media on it), Memory is under 28% used (8GB server), and Network utilization is at 22Mbps. The computer also doubles as a download machine, however the downloads are to a completely different drive than the WD Red and the buffering still happens when I turn it off. I've turned off scanning media, figuring that since WD Reds are a bit slower that sort of indexing might be slowing me down, but it's done nothing.

All my stats are nowhere near max, or even 50% utilization, yet Plex buffers. It's not just a single device - both my Roku 3's are affected, and they're in different parts of the house and not at all next to each other.

Sounds like the performance I got after signing in with a MyPlex account. Are you signed in? Were you always signed in? I recall a poster theorizing that, when I used MyPlex, the videos were being streamed up and down the internet, rather than just through the network. Not sure if that's the case but it would explain why my own performance went to poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plug a device in temporarily and see how it goes?

Try changing wireless channels, maybe someone around you changed a setting on theirs?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Hmm, is your Plex Server on WiFi? Or just the client devices?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
All of the devices are WiFi. I did have the PMS signed into MyPlex, however due to being tied to a VPN it couldn't ever actually bind the port and connect fully - I wonder if it was trying repeatedly and failing behind the scenes. I disconnected from MyPlex and after two shows I haven't had a recurrence of the issue, so that may have been it, knock on wood.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
RPi 2 has been announced. looking forward to trying RasPlex on this.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 3, 2015

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
It looks like the new SoC uses the same hardware accelerated video components (Broadcom VideoCore IV), but it still might be nice to have the faster CPU speed for navigating UI and stuff. And it's still $35!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My main reason for upgrading would be a faster UI. That's really the only shortcoming in my experience.

Smaller libraries are fine on the current RPi, but my library of 1500+ makes for sluggish scrolling.