Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Hackan Slash posted:

My father didn't lie when he told me that buying a house would give me a compulsion to buy tools.

I just bought a Seek Thermal. No idea what I'll use it for. But a real thermal camera! For 200! I'd be crazy not to buy it.

Anyone have any ideas for it other than seeing where my insulation sucks?

Rent it to me for a week for $50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Hackan Slash posted:

My father didn't lie when he told me that buying a house would give me a compulsion to buy tools.

I just bought a Seek Thermal. No idea what I'll use it for. But a real thermal camera! For 200! I'd be crazy not to buy it.

Detect water leaks easier, detect potentially failing parts and stuff (things running too hot, etc), check for overloaded circuits in your breaker panel, on and on and on.

Oh and see ducts and potential duct leakage.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Look for hot spots on an engine. Maybe find hot spots/cold spots in and on cooking surfaces?

I want one but my wife thinks it is a silly thing to buy. I disagree.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I want to rent one really bad

edit: my lil bro has one and he's gonna let me borrow it. hell yes.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 22, 2015

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I want one but my wife thinks it is a silly thing to buy.

This should be the new thread title.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hackan Slash posted:

Give us a trip report. I really want one now that I see they're available for Android phones too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Has anyone else had terrible luck with the Milwaukee shockwave impact drivers? Specifically the Philips #2- I've got through ~30 of them building our shop. The tips never fit/bit the screw quite right and would strip out after ~50 screws. I picked up a Makita set and haven't had a problem yet after ~200 screws. Time will tell.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

Documenting farts.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

PuTTY riot posted:

Rent it to me for a week for $50?

Exactly. I would love to rent one of these for fairly cheap to do an audit of my house.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just so you know at least in nys if you make less than 200% of your areas median income you can get a free audit.

Other cold states may also have similar programs

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

One Legged Ninja posted:

This should be the new thread title.
Agreed.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

mAlfunkti0n posted:

check for overloaded circuits in your breaker panel

And you can pick out which breaker or cable in a bundle serves a particular outlet by running a space heater from it! So much better than flipping them on and off.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Give us a trip report. I really want one now that I see they're available for Android phones too.

What do you want to know? It works, it's usable, the picture is complete poo poo compared to professional devices.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Zhentar posted:

What do you want to know? It works, it's usable, the picture is complete poo poo compared to professional devices.

You seem a little mad about thermal imaging cameras? I'd like to hear about the experience of an amateur in practical applications around the house. Reviews I've seen just point the camera in a wide shot at the kitchen and say welp, lookie there! And then proceed to rattle off all the features from the marketing literature.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
No, just being clear about the performance. It's the low end camera phone of thermal cameras, and if you're expecting better, you're going to be disappointed.

In my own house, which is fairly recent (1994) high quality construction, it's pretty much just been a fun toy. Found a wall switch for an exterior light that leaks a fair bit of air, found a couple air leaks in my rim joist. Nothing I couldn't have found much more cheaply with my bare hands or a smoke pencil. It also helped show me that my R-5 basement insulation lets out more heat than I realized, my windows aren't as good as I thought, and one of my plumbing vents isn't where I thought it was. All of which I could've figured out without it, had I tried. I've also found some minor issues (like thermal bridging from part of my fireplace) that aren't remotely cost effective to try to address. Since my insulation is fairly good (resulting in low contrast), and the field of view is fairly narrow, it's hard to tell what many of the pictures I've taken are showing after the fact.

In my parents house, which is mid quality '70s construction, it helped me find a lot of things I would not have found otherwise (for example, the ceiling between the first and second floor has two joist bays that are significantly colder than the others, and the cathedral ceiling insulation is spotty). But the final action list wasn't really any different than it would have been without the thermal camera*; air seal the basement and attic, fix the duct insulation, put some insulation on the attic hatch. Most of the interesting things I found were either more ambitious than we were willing to take on (and less important than the easy basic stuff), or difficult to fix after the fact.

*aside from the 'check out my thermal camera' starting the discussion that resulted in an action list in the first place

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I want one but my wife thinks it is a silly thing to buy. I disagree.

"Why would you buy that? It cost how much?"

Were literally the first thing she said when I told her. Remember, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hackan Slash posted:

That's a really interesting device. Could you let us know how it works out when you take it for a spin? I'll be buying a new house this Spring, and I'd be really happy if I could find an easy way to "inspect" prospective houses for leaks and insulation issues while we browse listings.

On the same note- does anyone know of a device for measuring humidity indoors?

\/ Nice! Glad to know that there are some humidity-measuring options that won't break the bank. Thanks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 24, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Lots of cheap inside/outside digital thermometers also have an inside humidity meter. I got mine in my garage atm to check the humidity there (60-70% depending).

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Does anyone have any experience with right angle drill attachments like this one: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWARA100-Right-Adapter-Attachment/dp/B00C0VSNKQ

I need to sister a few joists, and don't have clearance between them for my drill with a long bit attached. I need to drill probably 20 or so half inch holes all told, and if this thing works reasonably well it should be all I need.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I've used this exact attachment while building my decks over the summer. It's a pain in the rear end to apply proper pressure on the screws/spades but it works as advertised and seems sturdy enough. I wouldn't use it more than it is necessary but it did save me a whole lot of headaches.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Great, thanks! I figured that applying pressure would be a pain but I don't have a whole lot of options. So long as it works as advertised, it'll do.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Crotch Fruit posted:

Pics please? That sounds like an easy and cool project but I kinda suck at sewing by hand.
I searched my storage unit and could not find my latest; I tend to chuck them after I've used them for a few months. I have a crescent wrench roll bag planned next. I made a denim rifle sock using two whole pant legs also. I'll try to get pics when I visit my folks.

armorer posted:

Does anyone have any experience with right angle drill attachments like this one: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWARA100-Right-Adapter-Attachment/dp/B00C0VSNKQ

I need to sister a few joists, and don't have clearance between them for my drill with a long bit attached. I need to drill probably 20 or so half inch holes all told, and if this thing works reasonably well it should be all I need.

Also consider one that allows you to change the angle: http://amzn.com/B0006U66E8

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 25, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Cpt.Wacky posted:

You seem a little mad about thermal imaging cameras? I'd like to hear about the experience of an amateur in practical applications around the house. Reviews I've seen just point the camera in a wide shot at the kitchen and say welp, lookie there! And then proceed to rattle off all the features from the marketing literature.

Uhh, I'm an amateur and I just listed several opportunities to use one. If that's not what you want then don't buy one.

The simple idea about the camera is that it gives a visual representation of heat, so with that being in mind go "hog wild" thinking of stuff you can use it for. First and foremost for me is finding the stupid things done to my house where cold is coming in (or vise versa).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I considered taking a picture of my wife's stand-mixer with a drill bit in it. :effortless:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Username / pic combo of the year. :golfclap:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Based on the bathrobe.. these are pancakes. Still in the cake family but not a dessert cake.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tater_salad posted:

Based on the bathrobe.. these are pancakes. Still in the cake family but not a dessert cake.

No no, that's just standard workshop PPE.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gounads posted:

I considered taking a picture of my wife's stand-mixer with a drill bit in it. :effortless:

Briefly considered trying this.

Realised my mixer doesn't have a chuck.

Was disappointed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

thespaceinvader posted:

Briefly considered trying this.

Realised my mixer doesn't have a chuck.

Was disappointed.

The correct response is to determine the tape used to secure the dough hooks, and then machine your own set using your drill press, a series of files and sanding discs, and bodge together a working drill chuck using old parts from your garage.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The correct response is to determine the tape used to secure the dough hooks, and then machine your own set using your drill press, a series of files and sanding discs, and bodge together a working drill chuck using old parts from your garage.

World's worst cnc machine.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

therobit posted:

World's worst cnc machine.

The world's worst CNC machine is a speak and spell with the speaker output tones driving the X/Y/Z axis.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The world's worst CNC machine is a speak and spell with the speaker output tones driving the X/Y/Z axis.

I am really hoping this is real.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know of a good online store that carries every screw size under the sun? I need to buy some #4 wood screws in 2inch length, which seem to be pretty drat rare. Obviously they're rare because they'd be pretty fragile at that diameter and length, but I only need them from some super light duty stuff, and have to drill them lengthwise into 5mm ply. The only places I've found so far are direct from manufacturer, and they only sell in bulk thousands of screws.

I've found some british sellers on eBay selling 3mm x 50mm screws, but I'd still like to get some #4's if I can.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know of a good online store that carries every screw size under the sun? I need to buy some #4 wood screws in 2inch length, which seem to be pretty drat rare. Obviously they're rare because they'd be pretty fragile at that diameter and length, but I only need them from some super light duty stuff, and have to drill them lengthwise into 5mm ply. The only places I've found so far are direct from manufacturer, and they only sell in bulk thousands of screws.

I've found some british sellers on eBay selling 3mm x 50mm screws, but I'd still like to get some #4's if I can.

Grainger?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Without a doubt, you want McMaster-Carr. They have literally everything ever ever EVER. I would pay a good amount to be turned loose in one of their warehouses. Their prices are great, and they don't just do bulk. Worst-case scenario, you'll have to buy a box of 50 or 100 or whatever (smaller items tend to come in larger-count boxes, naturally.)

http://www.mcmaster.com

And honestly, for bits and pieces and raw materials, imho, grainger is pretty meh compared to mcmaster (and overpriced to boot.) :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 28, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've used fastenersuperstore.com and been pleased. McMaster is usually pretty good if you only want a few.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thanks for the tips!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Not that I don't like McMaster, but McFeely's has a comparable, if not better, wood screw selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Bad Munki posted:

Without a doubt, you want McMaster-Carr. They have literally everything ever ever EVER. I would pay a good amount to be turned loose in one of their warehouses. Their prices are great, and they don't just do bulk. Worst-case scenario, you'll have to buy a box of 50 or 100 or whatever (smaller items tend to come in larger-count boxes, naturally.)

http://www.mcmaster.com

And honestly, for bits and pieces and raw materials, imho, grainger is pretty meh compared to mcmaster (and overpriced to boot.) :)

I absolutely love shopping at McMaster. Best organized website there is.

Though I've struck out looking for certain hardware. No bronze, limited brass and not every combination of stainless.

Basically McMaster sizes boxes they costs between $5-$12 or so which is low compared to many places.

Another option I like, specializing in square drive screws, is McFeely's.