Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

WickedHate posted:

Miles is old enough that it's definitely not okay. Yeah, it's condascending racist bullshit to call a black teen "boy".

I'd argue that with terms that have different meanings it would definitely depend on the intent to determine if it's meant in a racist manner. friend of the family is a single definition word. Boy has a much more common use than the racist version and it's only used as a derogatory term in reference to someone over the age of 16(Wikipedia says 16-21 for coming of age) who is also a male and also black. I don't know Miles actual age but you feel its ambiguous enough to warrant the racism. However I'm not black, so if you're black and you're telling me this because you find it offensive then I wouldn't do it. If I was Marvel I wouldn't do it just because I think that's a backward step for the character, but I do think that it's not inherently racist to call a young male, who you'd refer to as a boy in all other situations, a boy; even if he's black unless you're doing it for the purposes of being explicitly racist and not as a statement of his actual age.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
If Miles was a little younger than I'd lean towards not racist (because of Superboy) but 15 is kinda pushing it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Miles had a shot but he's proved pretty boring and worthless in the main, may as well just get rid of him entirely. In fact get rid of all of them except Miguel, Spock and Porker. :colbert:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Web Jew.0 posted:

If Miles was a little younger than I'd lean towards not racist (because of Superboy) but 15 is kinda pushing it.

It feels like a setup for a MadTV sketch where the villain calls out "Spider-BOY!" in derision and the henchmen/hostages all get uncomfortable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

PaybackJack posted:

I'd argue that with terms that have different meanings it would definitely depend on the intent to determine if it's meant in a racist manner. friend of the family is a single definition word. Boy has a much more common use than the racist version and it's only used as a derogatory term in reference to someone over the age of 16(Wikipedia says 16-21 for coming of age) who is also a male and also black. I don't know Miles actual age but you feel its ambiguous enough to warrant the racism. However I'm not black, so if you're black and you're telling me this because you find it offensive then I wouldn't do it. If I was Marvel I wouldn't do it just because I think that's a backward step for the character, but I do think that it's not inherently racist to call a young male, who you'd refer to as a boy in all other situations, a boy; even if he's black unless you're doing it for the purposes of being explicitly racist and not as a statement of his actual age.

How tense where you when you wrote this post?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

WickedHate posted:

Oh my god, you might as well say it's okay to call black people negro because that just means black in Spanish. Something doesn't magically become unracist because of intent. Miles is old enough that it's definitely not okay. Yeah, it's condascending racist bullshit to call a black teen "boy".

So if there was ever a black Robin, calling him a Boy Wonder would be racist. Come the gently caress on.

The better criticism is that it's a demotion.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
When they had a black guy take on the role of Bucky that lasted for about two issues before they changed it after getting angry letters. If you really think Marvel is going to call Miles Spider-Boy you're out of your mind.

They've got two Hawkeyes running around, they can have two Spider-Men.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
All I'm hearing is that Spider-Boi is still a viable option.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

All I'm hearing is that Spider-Boi is still a viable option.

That's for when Gwen starts exploring her sexuality and gender in college.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

:yikes:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Just call him Spider-Cisgender-identifyAsMale-NotDefinedByRace-Person.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 26, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'd call him Spider-Man

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I fell behind in this thread and I'll admit that I'm taking the lazy way out and instead of reading everything from page 39 out I read the last few and did some googling but still have some probably simple questions.

1) Hickman is off the Avengers soon right? Can I drop the book or will someone else be picking up his story?

2) Is his Secret Wars the conclusion of his avengers run?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Len posted:

I fell behind in this thread and I'll admit that I'm taking the lazy way out and instead of reading everything from page 39 out I read the last few and did some googling but still have some probably simple questions.

1) Hickman is off the Avengers soon right? Can I drop the book or will someone else be picking up his story?

2) Is his Secret Wars the conclusion of his avengers run?

1) Most likely not directly

2) Yes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Senor Candle posted:

1) Most likely not directly

2) Yes

Thanks for the quick reply

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PaybackJack posted:

Both Ultimate and 616 Peter Parker were 15 when they became Spider-Man. Miles Morales has been Spider-Man for several years. You might, might have an argument if Miles was still 13 and a brand new character called Spider-Boy, but it'd still be super awkward.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't we keep regular Peter around so Slott can keep writing poo poo for him then give a good writer both Spock and Miles in a team-up book called Spider-Men?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's just bring back classic Marvel naming conventions and call him the Black Spider.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Modern Leper posted:

It feels like a setup for a MadTV sketch

The most damning indictment of all.

Rhyno posted:

Let's just bring back classic Marvel naming conventions and call him the Black Spider.

Might as well. I mean, his suit is black, so let's be real, when/if he's in 616, if he's swinging around at the same time as regular Spider-Man, all the public is going to refer to him as Black Spider-Man just because his suit is black.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Might as well. I mean, his suit is black, so let's be real, when/if he's in 616, if he's swinging around at the same time as regular Spider-Man, all the public is going to refer to him as Black Spider-Man just because his suit is black.

Kaine has a black and red suit, but everyone called him Scarlet Spider even though red was part of normal Spider-Man's outfit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

Then Flash comes back to NYC and it all becomes a confusing mess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Then Flash comes back to NYC and it all becomes a confusing mess.

Oh, wait never mind, I just realized that with a black suit, Miles can just call himself Venom and Flash can call himself Commander Shepard Thompson on his return. Problem solved.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There's always the chance they off Kaine and give Miles the Scarlet Spider name wit a new suit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sounds like a good time for Eddie to come back to the spotlight to confuse things even more.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Let's head down the thematically fitting, yet still kinda unintentionally racist road of specific spider species like Brown Recluse. He can even change his costume and everything.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Black Spider? You mean Black Widow?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Inevitable Spider-Dead

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

mr.capps posted:

How tense where you when you wrote this post?

Meh, I lived in North Carolina and stuck my foot in my mouth plenty of times when it came to racism because I grew up in Oregon in a class with literally 1 black kid. There's a long history in the south of things that are racist that we never knew about on the west coast. The racism I encountered growing up was with Mexicans not blacks. Can't speak on behalf of black people, but I really don't think my black friends would have been offended by this, but if they think it is then that's good to know and let's not do it for that reason.

Skwirl posted:

Both Ultimate and 616 Peter Parker were 15 when they became Spider-Man. Miles Morales has been Spider-Man for several years. You might, might have an argument if Miles was still 13 and a brand new character called Spider-Boy, but it'd still be super awkward.

With Miles in 616 it is an almost certainty he'd need to change his name, it's believable that if the public(in 616) saw him swinging around with Spider-Man they would call him Spider-Boy based on the size difference. You could also argue they'd call him Kid Spider, Spider-Kid, New Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, but the name change makes sense were the worlds to collide and it has nothing to do with being racist. I don't think people in the 616 would stop and go "Wait, what if he's been called 'man' before and now we're demoting him to 'boy' and what if, because he's black we're also being racist?" Clearly if this is offensive enough to a couple people in this thread, then it's probably best to not go that route specifically for those reasons as there would probably be a large outcry of negativity on it in the mainstream if they did.

It is an interesting question though of what would/will they call him when he joins 616. They really seem to hate having 2 characters with the same codename running around at the same time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slut chan posted:

Black Spider? You mean Black Widow?

Terrible Solution #2: Peter remains man-child, Miles grows up and gets married. Miles' wife is then immediately fridged so he can become the Black Widower.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Miles should just take up the Spider-Hero name and costume.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I bet they end up putting him on the Mighty Avengers team too

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

Miles should just take up the Spider-Hero name and costume.

The best case scenario. Though you forgot there is no hyphen in Spider Hero.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

The best case scenario. Though you forgot there is no hyphen in Spider Hero.

gently caress

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PaybackJack posted:

I really don't think my black friends would have been offended by this, but if they think it is then that's good to know and let's not do it for that reason.

Regardless of any disagreement between us, as non-whites, it's always good to understand people who are actually would have the final word, so good on you for having that attitude.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dacap posted:

I bet they end up putting him on the Mighty Avengers team too

Welcome to the main marvel universe where you and your :airquote:colorful:airquote: friends get your own water fountain super team

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HA! racism.

How delightful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mighty Avengers is totally bullshit. It does feel like forcing a bunch of black characters onto a seperate team of their own. It wouldn't even be so bad if it was it's own thing instead of an Avengers spin off team.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spider-Man is black?! :eyepop:

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Mighty Avengers is probably one of the best if not the best non-Hickman Avengers book around since the NOW relaunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a delicious candy bar but the wrapper is made of solid poop.

• Locked thread