Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Character sprites are pretty bad, but aren't as ridiculous as their FF5/FF6 remakes where they replaced perfectly good character sprites with minor edits to FF Dimensions sprites for no good reason. Enemy sprites are good.

Battle system is actually really drat fun and well-made if you're into the mix-and-match job systems.

Story and characterization are pretty bad even for a Final Fantasy game. They may have been going for the same sort of early '90s retro story simplicity we saw in the FF4/FF5 era (which the game kinda evokes), but my guess is that it's less of an intentional stylistic choice and more just that they couldn't write anything better. (This is, after all, the same team that made After Years.)

Having to play it with a touchscreen interface, and not having it on any platform with civilized things like controllers or even keyboard controls, can be a downer. It is for me; YMMV.

Much like 5 and 10-2, it's something where the gameplay will largely outshine the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm almost done with Lightning Returns.

The entire 13 trilogy is like the Star Wars trilogy. Only instead of starting with A New Hope and ending it with ROTJ, you watch Brazil instead of Return of the Jedi.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 26, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

Also, am I crazy, or were the DLC scenarios not supposed to be included in the PC version of XIII-2? There's nothing to the left of New Bodhum 3 AF in the Historia Crux.

Works fine for me. Don't you have to beat the game for them to become available though?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

The entire 13 trilogy is like the Star Wars trilogy. Only instead of starting with A New Hope you and ending it with ROTJ, you watch Brazil instead of Return of the Jedi.

This post is worthy of using in the OP to describe the trilogy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

begedin posted:

What's the general opinion on Final Fantasy Dimensions?

I'm enjoying it, especially after XIII.

Sure, the graphics are low-budget. It really shows they were saving money in that area. The ui could use a bit of polish to.

Everything else is pretty fun, though. The boss fights are suitably challenging, the trash mobs are hard enough you can't just stroll through a dungeon, but the auto-combat option is viable, so you can make some parts less tedious or easier to play while doing something else.

There's also a bunch of references to other games in the series (mostly made by Alba) and the story is decent.

Overall, one of the better recent Final Fantasy games.

The mechanics are solid but the writing is terribly Myspace fanfic-grade garbage. The writers are about on par with what you'd find in the Kemco RPG Maker games on mobile.

Overall the team that did FFD and the mobile remakes make decent engines but are lazy/terrible at everything else and SE likely only uses them because they're cheap (and if they aren't cheap, SE is getting ripped off).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Final Fantasy XIII-2 could have probably been a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger if they didn't feel the need to bog it down with tying everything to Final Fantasy.

Same with Lightning Returns, they could have been entirely different games and would have probably fared better. Because Lightning Returns doesn't even have the whole monster training thing that was pretty important in 13-2. Hell it was one of the secret magical powers that was granted and yet Lightning somehow loses it and it's never mentioned again. She used to be able to command entire armies of beasts, atleast God of War bothered to explain why kratos kept losing his magical poo poo all the time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Taint Reaper posted:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 could have probably been a proper sequel to Chrono Trigger if they didn't feel the need to bog it down with tying everything to Final Fantasy.

Same with Lightning Returns, they could have been entirely different games and would have probably fared better. Because Lightning Returns doesn't even have the whole monster training thing that was pretty important in 13-2. Hell it was one of the secret magical powers that was granted and yet Lightning somehow loses it and it's never mentioned again. She used to be able to command entire armies of beasts, atleast God of War bothered to explain why kratos kept losing his magical poo poo all the time.

Lightning doesn't lose it she just doesn't need it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The animal-command thing was an Etro thing. You know who is dead?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vil posted:

Battle system is actually really drat fun and well-made if you're into the mix-and-match job systems.

[...]Having to play it with a touchscreen interface, and not having it on any platform with civilized things like controllers or even keyboard controls, can be a downer. It is for me; YMMV.

Yeah, I actually really wanted to get into FFD, but the forced touchscreen controls were a big dealbreaker for me. I guess I'm just not a phonegame kinda guy.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Fister Roboto posted:

Works fine for me. Don't you have to beat the game for them to become available though?

Huh. I could've sworn they were available right off the bat in the console versions. Welp, guess I'll have to put the whoop-rear end on some purple dragon motherfucker if I want to play Chronobind :v:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

The animal-command thing was an Etro thing. You know who is dead?

That's not how Godess given powers work dude, I've played Skyrim.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Lightning doesn't lose it she just doesn't need it.

This is a good post.

Lightning Returns is probably the best Final Fantasy game in years. Game loving owns.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFD is a decent game. Story isn't awful but meh, characters are meh with the exception of a few, for better (Aigis) or worse (gently caress Alba), gameplay is good in the context of Final Fantasy's. I think I gave it a 6/10, and I'll stand by that, maybe a 5/10.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dubious posted:

This is a good post.

Lightning Returns is probably the best Final Fantasy game in years. Game loving owns.

I can't speak for the game proper but judging by the tracks on Curtain Call, it has the best music of the 13 trilogy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really hate Sazh because he has served no purpose other than to be a wet blanket in two games and to show up at the last minute in another one.

They could have entirely cut him and it would have been a net positive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I really hate Sazh because he has served no purpose other than to be a wet blanket in two games and to show up at the last minute in another one.

They could have entirely cut him and it would have been a net positive.

his role in 3 is kind of hilarious though, dude's had to deal with his kid suddenly going comatose so many times that he said gently caress it and went to live in an airplane instead

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dubious posted:

Lightning Returns is probably the best Final Fantasy game in years.

I didn't realize that the state of Final Fantasy games was that dire.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

I didn't realize that the state of Final Fantasy games was that dire.

maybe, but he's absolutely right about it :shrug:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nah, Final Fantasy 14 is better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm almost done with Lightning Returns.

The entire 13 trilogy is like the Star Wars trilogy. Only instead of starting with A New Hope and ending it with ROTJ, you watch Brazil instead of Return of the Jedi.

Nah, it's more like the prequels. Starts with a hugely anticipated disappointment, followed by a dreadful low-effort sequel, and finished off with a somewhat tolerable entry.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

That loving Sned posted:

Nah, it's more like the prequels. Starts with a hugely anticipated disappointment, followed by a dreadful low-effort sequel, and finished off with a somewhat tolerable entry.

FF13 may be dreadfully stupid, but it at least has a great battle system and some lovely visuals and music and Sazh. The Phantom Menace has no redeeming qualities.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The Phantom Menace has no redeeming qualities.

The Podracer arcade game. That is the redeeming quality of the Phantom Menace.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Watching a bunch of nerds get angry about midichlorians was the redeeming quality of the Phantom Menace.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Terper posted:

Nah, Final Fantasy 14 is better.

sorry, i thought we were talking about games instead of jobs you have to pay for

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

sorry, i thought we were talking about games instead of jobs you have to pay for

You don't have to enjoy MMOs to at least appreciate that FF XIV has pretty good FF lore and a decent main story to go with it. There is no reason to dismiss it out of MMO hate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I played several chapters of FF Dimensions before stopping. Random battles were kinda tedious, the story was dumb, and the main character was such a giant idiot that half the other characters' dialogue was about how much of an idiot the main character was.

Did they ever add the option to use controllers for Dimensions on iOS or Android? I'm pretty sure they did so for their other titles.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Devil Wears Wings posted:

FF13 may be dreadfully stupid, but it at least has a great battle system and some lovely visuals and music and Sazh. The Phantom Menace has no redeeming qualities.

The only good thing about The Phantom Menace was that it at least used some real sets, not just horribly fake-looking CGI backgrounds.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Watching a bunch of nerds get angry about midichlorians was the redeeming quality of the Phantom Menace.

Same, but replace midichlorians with Etro.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What's a midi chlorion

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

fronz posted:

What's a midi chlorion

MP

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

What's a midi chlorion

They were replaced by MP3s sometime in the 2000s.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Why doesn't Theatrythym have phantasy star music in it god

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

That loving Sned posted:

Same, but replace midichlorians with Etro.

It's stupid how well this fits

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Well if a job could involve playing Triple Triad, going Chocobo Racing, broing it out with Gilgamesh, hanging with Elf Goku, rocking out with Titan and dancing with anime catgirls, then yeah, sure I guess we are talking about that.

:gitgud:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Overbite posted:

Why doesn't Theatrythym have phantasy star music in it god

Same reason it doesn't have Skies of Arcadia music.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Instead of Dragon quest the next Theatrhythm should be just Theatrhytm: All RPGs ever edition.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

That loving Sned posted:

Same reason it doesn't have Skies of Arcadia music.

:thejoke:

Seriously, though, people said the same stuff about Smash Bros. until it started getting Solid Snake and Sonic and poo poo. Just you wait... soon every RPG will have their musical cameo in Theatrythm.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

For a dead person, Etro sure did a lot of things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

For a dead person, Etro sure did a lot of things.

She did most of it before she was dead.

Frankly the world is better off without her.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Andrast posted:

Instead of Dragon quest the next Theatrhythm should be just Theatrhytm: All RPGs ever edition.

Imagine a quest where it just plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3aEQuxQEOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g

on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Gologle posted:

FFD is a decent game. Story isn't awful but meh, characters are meh with the exception of a few, for better (Aigis) or worse (gently caress Alba), gameplay is good in the context of Final Fantasy's. I think I gave it a 6/10, and I'll stand by that, maybe a 5/10.

If it was on Vita it would probably be much more tolerable. I got through about 9 hours of it, upgraded my phone and then found out square didnt put in the ability to migrate saves :effort: