Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the spyder posted:

It's part of the reason I don't want to work on these basket cases anymore. I've got a half dozen of the things, all in various stages of WTF was the PO thinking. Everyone is broke and wants something for nothing. It's just not worth it. It's why I'm telling people I'll do what I can, but to come get their cars before the end of the year. /rant

I think a lot of "collectable" cars go through this lovely in between phase when they age. After it they either end up being priceless and sought after, usually with owners willing to pay money to restore them, or they fade away with the exception of a few die hard fans.

During the lovely phase though you've got a wide gamut of owners who want to genuinely restore the car, do something strange with it, or just have one for dick waving purposes. The first group is cool, second group can be cool if they're going to do a nice job of swapping a different engine into it or something, the last group is poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

torpedan posted:

I was thinking of getting an rx-7 and this thread has made me afraid of what I will find if I do. Not that it will stop me from buying one, just that I won't be puzzled if it runs terribly and is lucky to make it back to my house.

Get a straight rust free shell and build it up.

I am so excited, I towed my straight rust-free shell (now with engine and transmission!!!) home last night. I have to wire the engine. Probably going to just put in the basics w/ a relay switched from inside and run Jeff's DLIDFIS ignition he was bothering me to put in.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Wahoo! I have 2.5 weeks off!

First order of business. I picked up a gas tank/pump/level sender for the black FC for $40.

We bled the brakes while it was on the lift. Strangely enough the master was empty when I got it, but I can't find a leak. All the lines bled out clean, except the last, which produced this putrid mess.

And it runs! Even with ~ random gas we had laying around in it.

And then it burst into flames. God drat it. The solenoid wiring @ the ACV (air control valve) fried on the test drive. I pulled up to a stop and smelled electrical smoke. Parked it, popped the hood, and found these two wires flaming up, I blew it out and ripped the bastards out. Drove home just fine.

Picked up a red fender for the 93 R1 rebuild project.

Got the wood shop cleaned up and the new cabinet in place. Yes I know, insulation, ect.

Ohwtfbbq is this. A 1999 Forester S with 125k, single owner, new tires, and all maintenance records? My dad found a not-miata replacement car for my brother. Too bad it's an auto. Not bad for $3k. It's only got a few minor leaks. First corse of action is a full round of fluid changes.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

99 was a weird year.

Notice the twin air boxes. They transitioned from MAF to MAP and were like what should we do with the intake gently caress IT USE BOTH

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

99 was a weird year.

Notice the twin air boxes. They transitioned from MAF to MAP and were like what should we do with the intake gently caress IT USE BOTH

Two air filters too. Because who the gently caress knows.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I guess sometimes there are two filters, and sometimes there is a hollowed out filter shell like gasket in the big "torque box." Also, spin on transmission filter woohoo! This thing is a joy to work on compared to some other cars I've had. Very little corrosion anywhere and shiny cad plating on all of the engine fasteners, I guess it was garaged its whole life.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I know it's probably been posted in the thread but now that I'm looking into garages/shop building even more I'm curious if you would mind sharing your budget and actual spent on the shop? I'd love to have something like that but I'm a bit worried about the costs involved.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's going to cost more then you think. Double what ever number is in your head. I started at $20k for a 30x48x10. As soon as we started add "oh, that would be nice to do/have" items, it doubled. We went overkill on most of the stuff. I mean who needs a 6" slab with heated floors? A 4" without heated floors would have saved us $3.5k. Going 12ft vs 14ft tall would have saved another $1.5k. Using steel siding instead of Hardi Plank, another $1.5k. Not insulating or sheathing the interior walls? $3k. There's easily $15k in options we added on, and continue to do so, like the lofts/storage areas.

Here's the short/rough figures version:
$11.7k building kit
$7.5k concrete/rebar
$3k excavation/gravel/fill
$1700 permits
$3500 siding
$800 gutters
$400 drainage
$3000 heated floor and concrete slab insulation
$3000 insulation and wall coverings
$3000 24x30, 8x24, and 20x30 loft (more on this in the next few weeks.)
$3500 electrical service

All said and done, we will be just north of $40k. This is with us doing everything except concrete and excavation. Would I do it again? No. Was it worth the experience? Yes. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 18, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

the spyder posted:

It's going to cost more then you think. Double what ever number is in your head.

That is a pretty solid recommendation for all engineering, construction, and remodeling estimates, really.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Worked on two of the long term projects today. Can't wait to get them outta here.

The Montego blue car (bottom) was badly flooded.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

the spyder posted:

It's going to cost more then you think. Double what ever number is in your head. I started at $20k for a 30x48x10. As soon as we started add "oh, that would be nice to do/have" items, it doubled. We went overkill on most of the stuff. I mean who needs a 6" slab with heated floors? A 4" without heated floors would have saved us $3.5k. Going 12ft vs 14ft tall would have saved another $1.5k. Using steel siding instead of Hardi Plank, another $1.5k. Not insulating or sheathing the interior walls? $3k. There's easily $15k in options we added on, and continue to do so, like the lofts/storage areas.

Here's the short/rough figures version:
$11.7k building kit
$7.5k concrete/rebar
$3k excavation/gravel/fill
$1700 permits
$3500 siding
$800 gutters
$400 drainage
$3000 heated floor and concrete slab insulation
$3000 insulation and wall coverings
$3000 24x30, 8x24, and 20x30 loft (more on this in the next few weeks.)
$3500 electrical service

All said and done, we will be just north of $40k. This is with us doing everything except concrete and excavation. Would I do it again? No. Was it worth the experience? Yes. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
You told me you were planning on 34.5k ($24/sqft) and knew there would be a number of thousands in extras as it went. $28/sqft is not that much of an overage, especially for construction! I would say you did an exceptional job of sticking to the budget. But you also had a pretty realistic and comprehensive plan from the start.

The wood shop area is coming along nicely

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes, about 1/2 way through the planning stages, we realized $20k was unrealistic- but that was the initial "hey wouldn't a shop be neat" number. It's still 100% worth it IMO. I just calculated out the two additional loft areas ($900) and insulation/sheating ($1700). We are darn close to being what I consider "done". In reality, that will be when air lines and power drops/lighting are finished. It will definitely be complete this year, which is as quickly as I would like, but with a upcoming job change/projects/child- it's the best I can ask for. As I get older, I seem to have less patience and more money. Not something I expected, haha.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
First up, shop updates:

This week my Ubiquiti Nanostations showed up. I made a couple quick mounts from left over PVC + fittings from Home Depot. I did not have time to run the Cat6, but hopefully this week I'll get it done.

I started insulating the shop this weekend. I'll probably take a day off this week and finish up so we can install the wall covering.

Also, TopGear makes everything better.

Car related: I wrapped up a project- FINALLY. The 93 Touring/T88 car is GONE! It no longer leaks oil, starts normally, and runs better then it ever has! I'm stoked. We also swapped on some Koni Yellows and Eibach springs. Now it just needs wheels/tires/tune. The owner's going to bring it back in a few weeks for some minor fixes (fans run constantly? Thanks Mazda!)

It was unseasonably warm, which made the weekend fly by.

Oh and the exhaust fell of the loving Mini Cooper. Not really, but two of the mounts broke (like metal sheared off) and it's now held on with zip ties. gently caress this car.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nanostations are the loving poo poo, excellent choice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Danger to manifold!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Danger to manifold!

Eh, caught him on decel. Though his AF gauge needs a new sensor, the old one (50 miles) is toast thanks to non working coil packs.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

the spyder posted:

Oh and the exhaust fell of the loving Mini Cooper. Not really, but two of the mounts broke (like metal sheared off) and it's now held on with zip ties. gently caress this car.

Been there, the hangers are notorious for rusting away and disintegrating. Mine let go backing out of the driveway :downs:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

Eh, caught him on decel. Though his AF gauge needs a new sensor, the old one (50 miles) is toast thanks to non working coil packs.

That gauge doesn't fake a signal back to the OEM ecu does it? As in it still has the olde sensor for making the fuel corrections?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

the spyder posted:

Eh, caught him on decel.

Figured as much. :)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
No car related updates.

Tool update: I found this awesome old man cleaning out his closed jewellery shop on CL and bought way to much stuff from him.

First up, a 6x12 Surface Grinder with Magnetic chuck + a box of grinding wheels. $500

Plexo 24" stomp shear. $250

I almost bought this. $1500 with tooling. It's a 15x50 Clausing 1500. There's sadly a fatal faw in the variable speed design and makes it obsolete :(. Replacing it requires gutting the VSC, making a new motor mount, and finding a pulley, motor, and VFD. It's also MASSIVE compared to my 14x40 Rockwell, and as much as I love projects... I think I'm better off just fixing up what we have. I need to find someone to buy it. The issue is moving it. The garage it's in is on a steep hill.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
More shop updates:

We now have (some) insulation and wall sheathing!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Car update: This POS 2003 Mazda Protege is owned by my friends sister and "started to make a burning smell". Well we looked it over and noticed the valve cover bolts were finger tight… After we removed the valve cover, we found the timing belt soaked in oil. The worst part? The belt was ~10k old and the work was done by the dealer. Bastards. Broke the upper cover too. So $200 later in parts, it got a new belt, covers, and gaskets tonight. We also found out it needs motor mounts.

Super secrete way of holding cams. Zip ties, crescent wrenches, and clamps!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Shop progress looks great man!

GSE has decent & cheap trans jacks! No lying under a lift! :)

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 12, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm drooling over you shop, hopefully one day I can afford something comparably because :drat:

I've never used a surface grinder, I need to learn it by the end of the year so I can apply for another position. On that lathe, how come you can't use the original motor with a new vfd?

What I do to hold cams is two crescent wrenches clamped together by vise grips. Works even better if you have one of those awesome clamping adjustable wrenches that AI turned me onto.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ahh, that makes me miss my Protege5. I should dump my piece of poo poo WRX and get another one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

What I do to hold cams is two crescent wrenches clamped together by vise grips. Works even better if you have one of those awesome clamping adjustable wrenches that AI turned me onto.

That looks like what he's doing, with a bit of angle iron to boot. And yeah, it worked great when I did the timing belt on my old NB Miata.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

mafoose posted:

I'm drooling over you shop, hopefully one day I can afford something comparably because :drat:

I've never used a surface grinder, I need to learn it by the end of the year so I can apply for another position. On that lathe, how come you can't use the original motor with a new vfd?

My guess is a flaw in the CVT causes it to grenade, so you're right, the motor might just be salvageable. I'm not sure if it offers much more over the existing lathe apart from being bigger, though.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

Ahh, that makes me miss my Protege5. I should dump my piece of poo poo WRX and get another one.

I've always wanted one too. I can't imagine there are any left in good shape these days. People treat them as disposable cars. I'd love one as a DD so I keep the miles off my miata and have something useful at the same time.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mafoose posted:

Because it uses a hydraulic variable speed setup with it's own gear box, two piston pump, and motor. To retrofit it, you end up gutting the upper most casing, fitting a pulley, motor, and VFD. Would it be a great lathe? Yes. Do we already have one? Yes. I'm sure I'll regret it later on, but hopefully I will find a Monarch or Hardinge instead. :D

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

the spyder posted:

No car related updates.

Tool update: I found this awesome old man cleaning out his closed jewellery shop on CL and bought way to much stuff from him.

drat! That is a nice haul. The Clausing and the grinder are drool worthy. Personally, I would stick with the Clausing for general work. I have a Hardinge TFB-H lathe (same as the HLV-H without the threading gearbox) and the 5C nose with the oddball taper lock for a chuck is a bit of a pain. Unless you are looking at a completely different Hardinge where I would be off base.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, despite feeling like crap most the weekend I got a few small things done in the shop. With some help, we moved one of the storage shelves and I started planning out stairs for the loft. I don't have a lot of room and honestly I'm not sure how these are going to turn out.

Helped a coworker this weekend by machining a spacer/adding a retainer pin to a shaft. I told him to pay me in beer.

I also spent a few hours this week and rebuilt our sandblaster. I added a new vent, a second light, and a pressure regulator/dryer. It's working great, especially with the shop vac/cyclone connected.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 24, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Those stairs look scary steep! Awkward to carry things up, steep. Can you shuffle around some more space? Maybe make them lift up?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Drop down/pull down stairs maybe?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The answer is obviously pulleys. Just hoist a platform with the parts on it up and down. Like some sort of automotive dumb-waiter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd say an I-beam in between trusses with a chainfall and dolley on it, actually.

This may be one of my required features for my dream shop build.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I'd say an I-beam in between trusses with a chainfall and dolley on it, actually.

This may be one of my required features for my dream shop build.

I was going to say this. Chainfall hoist with a hook on it, so you only have to get yourself up and down the ladder. Equipment can go wherever via the hoist.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

Well, despite feeling like crap most the weekend I got a few small things done in the shop. With some help, we moved one of the storage shelves and I started planning out stairs for the loft. I don't have a lot of room and honestly I'm not sure how these are going to turn out.

For stairs that steep go with alternating style, normal steps will be a pain in the rear end to use at that angle. Something like this:

They take a while to get used to but once you do they are really nice, I'd recommend a hand rail.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ship stairs are cool and all, but still a pain to huck items up and down on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

For stairs that steep go with alternating style, normal steps will be a pain in the rear end to use at that angle. Something like this:

They take a while to get used to but once you do they are really nice, I'd recommend a hand rail.

We have a set at our family beach house and yes, once you get used to them it's fine (I swear I haven't broken my arm falling off them as a kid... haha), but moving anything up/down really sucks. I'm planning on putting in a cheap HF winch/platform on a doubled up truss to move the black/yellow lid storage bins I seem to have dozens of.