Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
KaiserNeko's back to doing episode breakdowns, this one for 45. I think it was announced earlier on Twitter that they're working on History of Trunks, but he mentions it in the breakdown too. So, 47 won't be out this month, but personally I'm just happy History of Trunks is next on the docket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I always did like that instant transmission battle Goku and Metal Cooler. Seriously most of the times the movies suffer from having things built up to a payoff about to happen like those armies of coolers showing up and you think were going to see some insane intense sequence only to have it end suddenly before it begun...Broly is the worst.

"Now the real fight begins" One punch kill :v: That's all folks, no build up for you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDrone posted:

"Now the real fight begins" One punch kill :v: That's all folks, no build up for you.

All he had to do was punch him harder.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WickedHate posted:

All he had to do was punch him harder.

He struck brolys pressure point.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it really is the best of the early DBZ movies(although the rest of Movies 1-4 are also really good in my opinion as well), also one of those situations where the Ocean Group dub is better than the Funimation dub

The Funimation dub never clicked for me. For so many years and episodes I grew up to appreciate the Ocean Group dub. When I heard Sean whatever his last name is voice the new Goku for Funimation I was fairly disappointed. Though I critize the American dub, I will admit at first I didnot like the music for it either. As I got older I learned to appreciate the music. WOULD have I like the original Japanese score? Yes. But with the Americanized dub, I eventually grew to like it -- but not love it. It was "acceptable" in my view. So I enjoy the music but cringe at thw dub. Just to add a note I have not seen or have heard the dub DBZ Kai episodes, like at all. Not sure if anything changed though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's kind of weird looking back how as a kid I just accepted without question Vegeta's voice got a lot less high pitched and scratchy. That's the only change I ever noticed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the kai dub is a lot better and everyone is way more comfortable in their roles, but they're all still doing the same voices

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Endorph posted:

the kai dub is a lot better and everyone is way more comfortable in their roles, but they're all still doing the same voices

Yeah that kinda makes me wish they'd go back and redub (and remaster) the movies some day.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It's kind of weird looking back how as a kid I just accepted without question Vegeta's voice got a lot less high pitched and scratchy. That's the only change I ever noticed.

Getting killed so much is just going to make a man out of you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Two Finger posted:

DBZA is coming up on one of the best moments in the entire series - Vegeta absolutely annihilating Cell. I'm really looking forward to that - he's cocky as hell in the series as is, I AM THE HYPE Vegeta is going to be turning it up to 11. Or maybe they'll have him hit him once and go 'gently caress it go get your android' or something. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play it.

Its also come up to one of the darker* moments of the series coupled by a strong reminder that Vegeta is a Grade A Egocentric Fuckup that no one should be idolizing!

I cant wait for TFS's take on Trunks reaction to his dad's assholery, and then the subsequent meltdown by Veggy over Trunks holding his own. :allears:

*Thinking on, i hope they do get around to the Buu saga, hoooly drat does that get dark for a dumb fight mans anime.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 26, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thyrork posted:

Its also come up to one of the darker* moments of the series coupled by a strong reminder that Vegeta is a Grade A Egocentric Fuckup that no one should be idolizing!

I cant wait for TFS's take on Trunks reaction to his dad's assholery, and then the subsequent meltdown by Veggy over Trunks holding his own. :allears:

*Thinking on, i hope they do get around to the Buu saga, hoooly drat does that get dark for a dumb fight mans anime.

Vegeta sacrificing himself to kill Buu would probably be played totally straight, but it doing exactly nothing makes for a great punchline.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The number of times Kaiser said "edit" or "redrew" is absurd.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Why is he putting the accent on the second syllable of Goku?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

carry on then posted:

Why is he putting the accent on the second syllable of Goku?

Because the most accurate transliteration of his name is "Gokuu" and Japanese doesn't have word stress the same way English does, but the long vowel makes it sound like the second syllable is stressed.

Basically, Kaiser is a huge huge DBZ nerd.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thyrork posted:

For that matter I'm still curious how they'll play 17 going down. I wonder if they'll throw expectations by having 16 refuse to fight Cell on the grounds that he's not Goku and 17 just disappear way earlier than expected.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Two Finger posted:

For that matter I'm still curious how they'll play 17 going down. I wonder if they'll throw expectations by having 16 refuse to fight Cell on the grounds that he's not Goku and 17 just disappear way earlier than expected.

16 will detect that Cell is part-Goku and respond appropriately.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That could actually work pretty well, since he'd keep trying to kill him even when hopelessly outclassed which could be played for laughs pretty well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

Fusion Reborn is the best because it has Gotenks vs. Hitler and Hercule vs. Zombies (and Hercule was winning).

Hercule is still one of the strongest normal people on the planet.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

In It For The Tank posted:

16 will detect that Cell is part-Goku and respond appropriately.

this is totally what they have been building up on considering Vegeta at one point yelled about 'IS THAT ME STRONGER THEN ME!? I'LL KILL ME!'

He's going to get super confused and beat the poo poo out of Cell because he thinks he's Goku.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

KoB posted:

Hercule tore a whole stack of phonebooks in half, if he wasn't it an shounen fighting anime he'd be a badass

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KoB posted:

Hercule is the champ. It's just difficult when truth is stranger than fiction as it were.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the thing about Hecules is that he is legitimately absurdly strong. He lifts trucks and poo poo. He's just less absurdly strong than anyone who can manipulate their magic fighting energy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KoB posted:

This brings up a question: if Hercule were in Dragonball, instead of Dragonball Z, would he be a bigger deal, silly and cowardly personality aside? Would he be able to fight against the main cast legitimately or would he turn out like King Chappa and be taken out in the preliminaries?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Covok posted:

This brings up a question: if Hercule were in Dragonball, instead of Dragonball Z, would he be a bigger deal, silly and cowardly personality aside? Would he be able to fight against the main cast legitimately or would he turn out like King Chappa and be taken out in the preliminaries?

ImpAtom posted:

He's just less absurdly strong than anyone who can manipulate their magic fighting energy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does Hercule have any trademark attacks? Obviously he does in the fighting games because obviously you need them, but in the show? If not I think that answers the question; He absolutely could not win in Dragonball, because you need a signature attack to be worth a drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He could probably still take Yamcha.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Presumably, so was King Chappa. That guy made it through a whole tournament without getting hit, but also didn't know about ki. As such, he got knocked out by a young Goku in one hit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Does Hercule have any trademark attacks? Obviously he does in the fighting games because obviously you need them, but in the show? If not I think that answers the question; He absolutely could not win in Dragonball, because you need a signature attack to be worth a drat.
he uses his patented Dynamite Kick on cell

Covok posted:

iirc his ~power level~ is about on par with master roshi's

he wouldn't be able to shoot beams or anything but he could keep up with them in terms of pure punching/kicking yeah

Covok
May 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

iirc his ~power level~ is about on par with master roshi's

he wouldn't be able to shoot beams or anything but he could keep up with them in terms of pure punching/kicking yeah

Well, Master Roshi was the strongest man the world knew in Dragon Ball, IIRC, so Hercule would be a big deal if they were equals in strength.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hercule is very strong. He was just unfortunately on the same planet that had people who can blow up planets at will. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

True, perhaps Hercule could successfully fight in Dragonball after all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

intensive google research has informed me that db-era roshi is around 150 when he's going all out and blowing up moons and around 90-100 when he's loving around with Jackie Chun poo poo, mercenary tao is around 110, and mark "hercule" satan is around 100

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So much Yamcha hate in this thread. Souki-Dan is a legit awesome move, and the few times we've actually seen what Wolf Fang Fist looks like, it seems pretty sweet. I liked him as a kid because he gets to wear Goku's fighting pajamas, but he has cool scars.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know how much real talent for martial arts Satan has. Most of his displays of power are little more than practiced tricks. For all we know, he just knows the basics and got by in the tournament scene with his raw strength. It definitely seems a lot more mundane in Buu Saga than it did in Dragon Ball, where you would have dinosaurs and tiger men and poo poo let alone practiced ki users.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Covok posted:

Presumably, so was King Chappa. That guy made it through a whole tournament without getting hit, but also didn't know about ki. As such, he got knocked out by a young Goku in one hit.

Don't forget Pamput. That guy was so close to breaking the superhuman threshold. Goku probably ruined that.

E: Well, Tamborine REALLY ruined him...

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well, according to the MMO he eventually opened a school of his own that worked for a while before everyone figured out that everything he was teaching was useless. Then they came at him with pitchforks and torches, when Pan stood outside his house and kung-fu'd the entire mob without actually harming a single one of them.

He was old as poo poo at that point though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rudoku posted:

Don't forget Pamput. That guy was so close to breaking the superhuman threshold. Goku probably ruined that.

E: Well, Tamborine REALLY ruined him...

I think Goku probably did more damage to his movie career. Seems rough to get a gig as an action hero if you got bodied by a little kid.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
He punched and kicked Kid Buu fast enough that you couldn't see the individual punches. That's pretty impressive.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Flytrap posted:

Well, according to the MMO he eventually opened a school of his own that worked for a while before everyone figured out that everything he was teaching was useless. Then they came at him with pitchforks and torches, when Pan stood outside his house and kung-fu'd the entire mob without actually harming a single one of them.

He was old as poo poo at that point though.

He also gave the dojo over to Pan after that incident, who took it seriously and helped people actually learn martial arts.

Also he became a movie star with hilarious cult classics that are still remembered fondly literally centuries later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stallion Cabana posted:

wasn't Cooler 2 really good in terms of fighting? the fight between Goku/Vegeta and Cooler lasted a good portion of the movie.

EDIT: Never mind. That was apparently only 11 minutes. drat.

The entire movie is only 45 minutes, though. That's a 1/4 of it and doesn't include Gohan, Piccolo, and Krillin faffing about with the cannon fodder bots. Any action feature that has literally half of it featuring fighting is pretty good, especially by Hollywood standards.

• Locked thread