Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Muslim Wookie posted:

LOL I wish it were surprising that this happened to IT workers but it's just not. 99% of y'all grew up privileged so you think this is just the way things are meant to be and won't speak up, but it's not. Name any other profession where that is a thing. Now name any single one that's not compensated for it.

Buh bow.

"Overnight? Sorry, am already doing anything but that. Specifically? Oh you think because we interact on a boss/employee level you have the right to ask that? No worries though, it's because I was planning on plowing your wife that night since your sorry rear end is to busy taking corporate dick."

But I guess I'm not a seppo so what would I know... WHeres my drat bourbon

DAF, is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Muslim Wookie posted:

LOL I wish it were surprising that this happened to IT workers but it's just not. 99% of y'all grew up privileged so you think this is just the way things are meant to be and won't speak up, but it's not. Name any other profession where that is a thing. Now name any single one that's not compensated for it.

Buh bow.

"Overnight? Sorry, am already doing anything but that. Specifically? Oh you think because we interact on a boss/employee level you have the right to ask that? No worries though, it's because I was planning on plowing your wife that night since your sorry rear end is to busy taking corporate dick."

But I guess I'm not a seppo so what would I know... WHeres my drat bourbon

wat

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Muslim Wookie posted:

What are exempt employees?

It's great to make absurd statements, but I could name a number of roles where this could happen (flight attendants, flight nurses, some doctors, sound engineers for bands on the road, etc). Most of whom would not be compensated.

Back under your bridge.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
At least one facilities dude is probably being asked to stay too.

I used to work in webhosting and I live in the south, one year back in either 04 or 05 we had a really bad ice storm and due to the number of callouts management asked a few of us 1st shift dudes who were in before the storm if we'd be willing to crash at the hotel next door if the company hooked us up.

2 per room + $100 on each room for room service. My roomie and I hit the hotel bar and got shitfaced on the company dime and then stumbled around downtown in the frozen hellscape for a bit. It was fun.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

ocall posted:

So with very little notice, I have been asked to "pack an overnight bag" and stay at the college during this blizzard. I this a reasonable request? Should I ask for additional compensation even though I'm salaried? (Could be snowed in until Wednesday)

Sure, but I'm taking the next week off comp-time.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gounads posted:

Sure, but I'm taking the next week off comp-time.

hardassthingsyoudneversaytoyourboss.txt

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ocall posted:

I talked to my immediate supervisor and voiced my concerns. He was not able to convince the CIO that this was unnecessary, so he offered to stay in my place.

I did this once when I worked at a grocery store. The forecast called for snow/ice, but the end of the week closing stuff still needed to get done no matter what. So I volunteered (along with a manager and another employee) to spend the night in the store to make sure we could both open and get all the paperwork done. In the end it ended up not snowing, but I still got in a little overtime anyway.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

At least one facilities dude is probably being asked to stay too.

I used to work in webhosting and I live in the south, one year back in either 04 or 05 we had a really bad ice storm and due to the number of callouts management asked a few of us 1st shift dudes who were in before the storm if we'd be willing to crash at the hotel next door if the company hooked us up.

2 per room + $100 on each room for room service. My roomie and I hit the hotel bar and got shitfaced on the company dime and then stumbled around downtown in the frozen hellscape for a bit. It was fun.

I think I dodged a bullet, I just saw facilities come and setup two cots in the CIO's office. It looks like my supervisor is going to have a fun 3 days with him.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ocall posted:

I think I dodged a bullet, I just saw facilities come and setup two cots in the CIO's office. It looks like my supervisor is going to have a fun 3 days with him.

Ha, holy gently caress. The worst accommodation I ever had on a blizzard overnight was a hammock I rigged off of conduit, and that was just because there was no getting home. Every time I've been asked to stay, I've at least gotten a room in an econo lodge and free reign on my expense report.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
All this blizzard talk - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USTX0327:1:US :toot:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I guess that storm is pretty bad: Louis CK canceled his MSG show. It's unrelated, but goes to show you how big that storm will be.

Waiting for the articles about datacenter in the middle of NYC are dead in the water and the tech that bring buckets of diesel fuel up to power generators.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

incoherent posted:

Waiting for the articles about datacenter in the middle of NYC are dead in the water and the tech that bring buckets of diesel fuel up to power generators.

I find it really hard to believe it's going to be this bad. 2' of snow isn't unheard of end-of-times for around here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

hardassthingsyoudneversaytoyourboss.txt

Eh, depends on the boss and where you work. I just got called into a situation over the weekend where I was "on the job" from 8pm Sat until 3:30am Sun. I just sent an email out "taking Monday as comp time".

The reply this morning (yes, I am an email obsessive) was, "OK"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

flosofl posted:

Eh, depends on the boss and where you work. I just got called into a situation over the weekend where I was "on the job" from 8pm Sat until 3:30am Sun. I just sent an email out "taking Monday as comp time".

The reply this morning (yes, I am an email obsessive) was, "OK"

Sure, that's normal. Comping time is normal. Coming in late or comping a day after you've spent a significant amount of time on off-hours work is totally expected.

Just that particular response is SH/SC internet posturing and not representative of reality.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I find it really hard to believe it's going to be this bad. 2' of snow isn't unheard of end-of-times for around here.

Meanwhile Denmark had a whopping 4" of snow, and that is busy melting away just one day later. I think that's all the snow we've had the entire winter.

Sure it's nice on the firewood consumption, but.. give us back our snow, dammit! :mad:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Crowley posted:

Meanwhile Denmark had a whopping 4" of snow, and that is busy melting away just one day later. I think that's all the snow we've had the entire winter.

Sure it's nice on the firewood consumption, but.. give us back our snow, dammit! :mad:

Danish is something that's pissing me off at the moment. I'm visiting later this year and I'm trying to learn it. drat you and your crazy moonspeak. :argh:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
It's not that* hard, and there's the bonus that once you've learnt it you've also picked up like 99% of written Swedish and Norwegian too.

*The only words I can still remember are 'thanks', the numbers that are similar to German and 'lamppost' because it sounds funny in English, but I am completely poo poo at learning languages.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

It's not that* hard, and there's the bonus that once you've learnt it you've also picked up like 99% of written Swedish and Norwegian too.

*The only words I can still remember are 'thanks', the numbers that are similar to German and 'lamppost' because it sounds funny in English, but I am completely poo poo at learning languages.

I think part of it is that I only ever learnt French (and then only to GCSE level nearly 2 decades ago) so Danish is unlike any language I've got knowledge of. Also the pronunciation is pretty mental to me as a native English speaker.

I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of "Jeg taler ikke dansk godt, undskyld" and still probably not being understood because my pronunciation will be so badly wrong. Still, it's an interesting challenge!

edit:
Yeah I'm aware of the crossover between the other languages as well, which is a bonus as I'll also be going through Sweden and Norway!

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 26, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Inspector_666 posted:

People are more worried about sustained 35-50mph winds that would make utility work impossible. Panic mode is a go in Boston

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Roargasm posted:

People are more worried about sustained 35-50mph winds that would make utility work impossible. Panic mode is a go in Boston

They're saying the big winds will only last a few hours. I'm sure we'll all survive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't really care how much it does or does not snow so long as I can get unscheduled telework. The best kind of telework.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Ynglaur posted:

They're saying the big winds will only last a few hours. I'm sure we'll all survive.

You couldn't tell that from all the doom and gloom emails going around. Meanwhile weather.com says we'll get less than inch tomorrow with wind maybe up to 25mph. Most of its gonna come overnight so late morning for me I guess.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

rolleyes posted:

Danish is something that's pissing me off at the moment. I'm visiting later this year and I'm trying to learn it. drat you and your crazy moonspeak. :argh:

Topical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Ha. Well I understood about 5% of the subtitles but I've only been going for a week.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

rolleyes posted:

If you think speaking danish is hard, try counting in danish. :v:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Inspector_666 posted:

For an area like New York (where most of the press I've seen is concentrating), that much over a day to day and a half period is quite a dumping. For most places, sustained 1" per hour is more than can be kept up with outside of main roadways, and even then they will have to be running 24/7, and this storm is being forecast for that much over 24 to 36 hours.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Koskun posted:

For an area like New York (where most of the press I've seen is concentrating), that much over a day to day and a half period is quite a dumping. For most places, sustained 1" per hour is more than can be kept up with outside of main roadways, and even then they will have to be running 24/7, and this storm is being forecast for that much over 24 to 36 hours.

I mean, it's not nothing, but it's not POWER IS OUT FOREVER MAD MAX GO stuff like people are making it out to be. "Around here" is NYC, where I live.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

ocall posted:

I talked to my immediate supervisor and voiced my concerns. He was not able to convince the CIO that this was unnecessary, so he offered to stay in my place.

So that last big snowstorm about 3 weeks ago exposed a slight problem with our 24x7 staffing situation. The base commander closed the base around 5:00am, so going by what we were told by our PM that meant we had to hand our responsibilities over to the other detachment several hundred miles away and go home since we were only mission essential.

The next day we got the rear end-chewing of a lifetime from the detachment commander, but the PM did at least do the manly thing and take responsibility for the communication gently caress-up, especially since not one single person on 1st shift came in. Later that day we all received letters informing us that we were now all base essential and there would be no such thing as an inclement weather day from here on out. So about 4am this morning when the base was closed it was business as usual. Pretty sure quite a few people from 1st shift still took sick time - by the time I'd left at 8am this morning maybe 1 in 5 had actually showed up.

I was also advised to pack a sleeping bag, cold weather gear, and some supplies in case weather got bad enough that they wouldn't let any of us leave for a day or two. gently caress that - I live 5 minutes away, and unless it's the real loving snowpocalypse I will drat well drive home regardless of the conditions.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Daylen Drazzi posted:

gently caress that - I live 5 minutes away, and unless it's the real loving snowpocalypse I will drat well drive home regardless of the conditions.

True Snowpocalypse conditions are when you call your buddy to come pick you up, the power fails shortly afterward, and you end up riding back home on the back of his snow machine. If you can still drive someplace, even if attempting to do so is retarded, bordering on suicidal, it's not a true snowpocalypse.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

rolleyes posted:

Read this (or better: listen to her podcast). In fact, just listen to the whole thing. She's funny and not afraid to poke us where it hurts. One of my favorite podcasts.

Collateral Damage posted:

If you think speaking danish is hard, try counting in danish. :v:

Relevant awesome comic although the author is a bit off. 50 ("halvtreds") sounds like it's pronounced "half sixty" (60 being "treds") but in reality it's an abbreviation of "halvtredsindstyve" which in itself is an abbreviation of "halvtredje, sinde tyve" which means "halfway to three (from the previous number) times twenty" which is indeed 50. It's all very simple really. :v:

60 = "Treds" -> "Tredsindstyve" -> Three times 20
70 = "Halvfjerds" -> "Halvfjerdsindstyve" -> Halfway to four times 20
80 = "firs" -> "Firsindstyve" -> Four times 20
90 = "Halvfems" -> "Halvfemsindstyve" -> Halfway to five times 20

Bonus deviant: 40. pronounced "fyrre" or "fyrretyve" but that's a cheater. Fyrre is an abbreviation of "fyritiughu" which is an old word for 4 times 10.

See, dead simple!

Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 27, 2015

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

rolleyes posted:

I think part of it is that I only ever learnt French (and then only to GCSE level nearly 2 decades ago) so Danish is unlike any language I've got knowledge of. Also the pronunciation is pretty mental to me as a native English speaker.

I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of "Jeg taler ikke dansk godt, undskyld" and still probably not being understood because my pronunciation will be so badly wrong. Still, it's an interesting challenge!

edit:
Yeah I'm aware of the crossover between the other languages as well, which is a bonus as I'll also be going through Sweden and Norway!

Weird. I speak native English and learned French while in my teens, and I'm currently learning Swedish. While I'm sure my pronunciation is terrible I've found it pretty easy to relate to with English and French in the general structure.

Then you ask about the similarities with Danish and you get told to "stick a potato in your mouth." :psyduck:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Crowley posted:

Halfway to five times 20

Welp.

Thanks for the other links, I'll check them out. I'm probably judging a bit too quickly considering the entire extent of my experience to date is one week on DuoLingo.

less than three posted:

Weird. I speak native English and learned French while in my teens, and I'm currently learning Swedish. While I'm sure my pronunciation is terrible I've found it pretty easy to relate to with English and French in the general structure.

Don't tell anyone, but I've never actually been very good at languages - I just like to try to make an effort if I'm visiting somewhere. I'll grant you that the sentence structure makes more sense than the little I've seen of German.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

less than three posted:

Then you ask about the similarities with Danish and you get told to "stick a potato in your mouth." :psyduck:

They're not wrong either. Spoken Danish is mutilating endings left and right, and if we don't mutilate them we end all sentences with a mumble. To Quote from howToLiveInDenmark:

quote:

Anyway, you might as well take mumbling as an advantage and mumble yourself. It makes it a lot harder for people to tell if you are making mistakes. I find it a particularly effective way of hiding my problems with adjective endings, i.e. the correct “hver dag” or the incorrect “hvere dag.” (By the way, “hverdage” (week days) does not really mean “hver dag” (every day of the week), as I found out when I tried to go to a “Åben hverdage” shop on a Sunday). At any rate, you will often be surprised to find Danes themselves differing about spelling and other points of language: Danish may be formalised in books, but in daily use it is less so, perhaps because until recently no one has had the bother of teaching it to many foreigners.

rolleyes posted:

I'm probably judging a bit too quickly
Sadly, nope.

rolleyes posted:

I just like to try to make an effort if I'm visiting somewhere.
Not that you shouldn't make an effort - it's wonderful that you do - but be prepared for everyone to swap to English the second they figure out you're not fluent in Danish. Not because they don't want to hear it spoken badly, but because they're probably virtually fluent in English any way, so why not go straight to the world's #1 International language?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Danish structure isn't that hard, and most of the time I can now guess how to pronounce a word correctly (even if I have zero clue what it means), and I can bumble my way through reading parts of the newspaper (I should be better by now), but trying to listen to what people are saying and process all of it is hopeless. I can pick out the odd word then attempt to guess. Of course, most people speak English anyway, so, eh.

Going to language school soon, though, so hopefully I won't suck. Being English doesn't prepare you very well for actually learning another language, because honestly, most language classes at school ended up being seen as irrelevant and taken with less respect than they deserved. Not that it would have helped me with Danish, since it, or a language close to it, was never an option.

Rolleyes, I would say you are welcome to stop by (if you had the time), but I highly doubt you'd be coming anywhere near where I live, the absolute rear end-end of nowhere.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

True Snowpocalypse conditions are when you call your buddy to come pick you up, the power fails shortly afterward, and you end up riding back home on the back of his snow machine. If you can still drive someplace, even if attempting to do so is retarded, bordering on suicidal, it's not a true snowpocalypse.

Snow machine. There's a word that gets under my skin. It's a snowmobile. Why would you refer to a snow mobile with a less specific word? A snow blower is also a snow machine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just say it right: Skidoo! :canada:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HalloKitty posted:

Going to language school soon, though, so hopefully I won't suck. Being English doesn't prepare you very well for actually learning another language, because honestly, most language classes at school ended up being seen as irrelevant and taken with less respect than they deserved. Not that it would have helped me with Danish, since it, or a language close to it, was never an option.

I dunno about England, but English instruction in the US has zero focus on grammar unless you take it as an elective, because reading Shakespeare will somehow teach you what past participles are.

The huge barrier to language instruction here is just how badly we understand our own language, which leaves us totally underwater when they start using terms like "dative case" and "past perfect" as you go to learn another language

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evol262 posted:

I dunno about England, but English instruction in the US has zero focus on grammar unless you take it as an elective, because reading Shakespeare will somehow teach you what past participles are.

The huge barrier to language instruction here is just how badly we understand our own language, which leaves us totally underwater when they start using terms like "dative case" and "past perfect" as you go to learn another language

Every introductory language class will teach these, though. And cases and even tenses vary in their presence of most languages.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goon in well here, need some advice.

Every job description always has the "and other duties as assigned" line in it right? Well the place I work at has 4 desktop support guys including me. Thing is, the job I do is vastly different from the other 3 guys. I have to do a more manager type role of looking after student workers and keeping an eye on the frontline helpdesk. I've done scheduling in the past and still have a hand in training. However, all four of us have the same job description according to HR. Brought this up to my associate director and the director of the department and they point to the "and other duties as assigned" and an internal reorganization of the department back in 2010. However, as far as I can tell, with this reorganization nothing was done with hr as far as job titles, job descriptions, etc.

I know the response is YOTJ and I've been trying on and off for two years but in the meantime I want to make my stay here better and more beneficial to me. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Rolleyes, I would say you are welcome to stop by (if you had the time), but I highly doubt you'd be coming anywhere near where I live, the absolute rear end-end of nowhere.

Yeah unfortunately it's a big ole road trip through a few countries, so not really any time for detours!

By the sounds of it I should give up all hope of speaking Danish and just concentrate on trying to read menus and road signs.