Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nastyman posted:

I'm looking to get a new rom for my Galaxy S2 i9100, I've been using cyanogenmod but it started acting up a while ago. Stability issues, losing network connection for no reason, randomly generating thousands of log files that instantly fill up the internal memory and have to be cleaned out by command line, random shutdowns, losing entire chunks of battery power, etc. Part of the problem is probably my phone, it's getting to be a few years old now and has had a few rough encounters with the floor but I can't afford to get a new one yet.

I installed SlimKat two days ago and it seemed really good for the first few hours, but quickly turned out to be even worse. About 50% of the time either individual apps will freeze permanently and require several reboots to start working again, or the whole launcher will become unresponsive.

I don't really have much choice but to keep looking for something that will at least let me use the drat thing, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations for a good, lightweight rom. I just need something stable that's not too much of a strain on the battery and processor. And yes, I realize it's probably going to be a gamble either way considering the state my phone is in.

Have you tried the Lollipop CM12 betas on that thing? I put it on my old S2 and it seems fine. Then again that phone is not my ~daily driver~ so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

nimper posted:

Have you tried the Lollipop CM12 betas on that thing? I put it on my old S2 and it seems fine. Then again that phone is not my ~daily driver~ so YMMV.

I haven't, I was under the impression that the S2 couldn't go past CM10. Guess I was mistaken. I'll have a look and see how it works out.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I bought a HTC One M7 to mess around with outside my daily phone. It has some version of CM on it, what would I need to do to remove CM and install the GPE rom on it? can I just flash away?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

thebushcommander posted:

I bought a HTC One M7 to mess around with outside my daily phone. It has some version of CM on it, what would I need to do to remove CM and install the GPE rom on it? can I just flash away?

This should work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2358781

Not sure if the M7 GPE uses different partition sizes from the regular one like the M8 does but I don't think that matters when you do the whole RUU thing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I have an AT&T HTC One M8 that I've converted to a GPE. I just used the OTA update to get Lollipop. I no longer have root access. Is there no way to achieve this without wiping the current data on the phone? If I have to wipe everything I will probably just live without root.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I have an AT&T HTC One M8 that I've converted to a GPE. I just used the OTA update to get Lollipop. I no longer have root access. Is there no way to achieve this without wiping the current data on the phone? If I have to wipe everything I will probably just live without root.
Doesn't root on GPE devices work the same as it does on Nexuses? I'm pretty sure it did on the GPE Moto G I rooted.

If so just flash what you need in fastboot.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Doesn't root on GPE devices work the same as it does on Nexuses? I'm pretty sure it did on the GPE Moto G I rooted.

If so just flash what you need in fastboot.

From my experience (my S4 is a flashed GPE, not a stock one) with a friend's S4 GPE is that you can use the exact same method as any other Galaxy S, Odin. And from what I've read, HTC GPE devices are rooted the same way as the normal ones.

If you have an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery just flash your fancy SuperSU and you're set. TWRP normally checks for root before rebooting so you may try with that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

thebushcommander posted:

If you want the Sense version of Lollipop instead of the default Google one, you might want to wait a few day's because they said they'll release it this month (the one for the M8 is already out).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to convert Titanium Backup backups to something compatible with Helium? If I need to get a new phone that I can't (Moto Maxx) or wouldn't want to (Z3 Compact) root, I'd like to be able to restore some stuff that doesn't get saved well, e.g. game saves.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Is there a way to convert Titanium Backup backups to something compatible with Helium? If I need to get a new phone that I can't (Moto Maxx) or wouldn't want to (Z3 Compact) root, I'd like to be able to restore some stuff that doesn't get saved well, e.g. game saves.
No you can't, but what you could do is restore it to someone else's or your backup rooted device then take those saves off with Helium.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

someone else's or your backup rooted device

If I had such a thing :negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

If I had such a thing :negative:
Treat yourself, it's tax refund time. If you're really hard up for a device I'm sure my wife would sell her GPe Moto G or her Nexus 4 for cheap although let's face it, the N7 is the better deal here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for the offer, but it's back to working now, and we'll be using our refund for a new phone for me (much to my wife's chagrin).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So I put kitkat on my s3 last night, it's good but I decided I'm over all the samsung bullshit bloat. I really miss the galaxy nexus UI, is it a possibility to do that?

I've not rooted the phone before so I'm assuming it'd be that and a custom rom or something ,yes? Anywhere someone can point me where to read what to do or have any advice?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Matthew Beet posted:

So I put kitkat on my s3 last night, it's good but I decided I'm over all the samsung bullshit bloat. I really miss the galaxy nexus UI, is it a possibility to do that?

I've not rooted the phone before so I'm assuming it'd be that and a custom rom or something ,yes? Anywhere someone can point me where to read what to do or have any advice?

You can install the Google Now launcher to get a more stock feel without rooting.

It won't change any of the system menus or status bar but it would be something different I guess??

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The S III is almost three years old. I still use one, it does CM11 weeklies surprisingly okay, but I recognize that most of both of those is inertia (and TouchWiz before the Note 4 being worse than CyanogenMod :stare:); there's no AOSP ROM that I could comfortably recommend to someone else, and TouchWiz ROMs are half stuff made for the maintainer themselves and released as an afterthought and half stuff made for older firmware versions of the S III that could easily de-radio, brick, or straight-up kill your phone, because Samsung and carriers do everything in their power and more to prevent downgrades, because ... I don't know, partly security stuff (like preventing subsidy unlocks and shilling the impotent KNOX thing that got superseded by Lollipop's native security) but I'm guessing mostly out of spite.

Also replacement batteries are almost as old because the official supply is mostly old stock at this point and good luck finding a third-party one with a working NFC element.

Seriously, get a Moto X and make your Samsung someone else's problem.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 25, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

If you have an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery just flash your fancy SuperSU and you're set. TWRP normally checks for root before rebooting so you may try with that.

I tried the TWRP thing but it didn't ask me if I wanted to root. Can I just install the superSU binary from TWRP? If so, what binary do I want?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Yes.

You want whatever the latest stable version at download.chainfire.eu/supersu is.

Note that even if you unroot AND uninstall SuperSU on Android 5.0 or later, you might still not get OTAs working again. This is why we recommend you have a device where the manufacturer supplies factory images, and where old ones won't clobber your phone.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 25, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yes.

You want whatever the latest stable version at download.chainfire.eu/supersu is.

Note that even if you unroot AND uninstall SuperSU on Android 5.0 or later, you might still not get OTAs working again. This is why we recommend you have a device where the manufacturer supplies factory images, and where old ones won't clobber your phone.

Wow, that was simple. Thanks.

I did this before you edited your post so I guess I'll have to watch out for OTAs. Heh.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

EDIT: And like I said in the other thread, Xposed isn't exactly a long-term plan right now. What do you need from it that only it can do, and are you the kind of person who can abandon it when Lollipop rolls around?
The only thing I feel like is a huge loss going to a N6 is xprivacy. It's pretty inexcusable that Android doesn't have better permission management than all or nothing at this point and xprivacy filled in that need.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

The only thing I feel like is a huge loss going to a N6 is xprivacy. It's pretty inexcusable that Android doesn't have better permission management than all or nothing at this point and xprivacy filled in that need.
On the one hand I can see your point but on the other I figure you knew the deal when signed up for Facebook or downloaded that app. If you don't like terms, don't use the service.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LastInLine posted:

On the one hand I can see your point but on the other I figure you knew the deal when signed up for Facebook or downloaded that app. If you don't like terms, don't use the service.

With Facebook I don't really see the need for a dedicated app; just use the Web site. It has everything I want, anyway.

revolther
May 27, 2008
CM12 has a permission/privacy manager, functional volume panel, improvements to the mess that is quick settings; the cm team is actually really improving upon lollipop.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

nimper posted:

You can install the Google Now launcher to get a more stock feel without rooting.

It won't change any of the system menus or status bar but it would be something different I guess??

This did the trick. Cheers.

It's a work phone and I'm waiting on them to upgrade me soon anyhow so there's no point in me buying anything, though they have asked what I'd prefer next . I Might look at the nexus 6

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

revolther posted:

CM12 has a permission/privacy manager, functional volume panel, improvements to the mess that is quick settings; the cm team is actually really improving upon lollipop.

It's the one thing I miss from running CM11 on my last phone. I'm considering trying CM12 on my N6 when it hits stable but I'm not sure. It wasn't very stable on my S4, especially with connectivity... Though I'm not sure if that was more Sprint being poo poo...

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shai-Hulud posted:

This should work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2358781

Not sure if the M7 GPE uses different partition sizes from the regular one like the M8 does but I don't think that matters when you do the whole RUU thing.

Can't seem to get S-OFF have tried 3 different ways and just keep coming up with errors >< Tried using the Revone method from that thread and it gives me some framebuffer device error and rumrunner just hangs after it reboots the phone waiting for ADB...Was hoping that it was off already since it was unlocked/rooted for CM, but NOPE!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Can't seem to get S-OFF have tried 3 different ways and just keep coming up with errors >< Tried using the Revone method from that thread and it gives me some framebuffer device error and rumrunner just hangs after it reboots the phone waiting for ADB...Was hoping that it was off already since it was unlocked/rooted for CM, but NOPE!

Sunshine works 100% of the time. Install app, pay $25 (yeah, I know) click the button and it's done.

My time is worth $25, IMO.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fuzz posted:

About to reroot my phone and wipe to a new ROM, but I just got a new 64 got SD card for it that I want to swap to. I have Titty Backup and all that, but I kinda wanna clean out all the poo poo, both on the internal and external card, and only keep the handful of backup SMSes (have Save and Restore) and Titty Backup stuff. Any easy and clean way to do this? Is my assumption that both programs hopefully save to a single file or directory even remotely correct?

You shouldn't have to worry about doing these things. A phone is not a computer.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

hotsauce posted:

Sunshine works 100% of the time. Install app, pay $25 (yeah, I know) click the button and it's done.

My time is worth $25, IMO.

Yeah, I'm just confused as the general errors I am getting are from it not being rooted. Like with Firewater I can't SU once i get into adb shell on the phone it tells me permission is denied. Revone does the same thing basically and rumrunner goes through all it's crap and gives me and error saying im not rooted. Then when I go to run the tool to root the phone it says i'm already rooted.

Edit: This S-OFF poo poo is annoying and I don't want to pay $25 dollars for something that might not work, but also requires I have a stock rom on the device. Sounds like I need to go back to stock from CM and then proceed for there if I want I guess.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 26, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Matthew Beet posted:

This did the trick. Cheers.

It's a work phone and I'm waiting on them to upgrade me soon anyhow so there's no point in me buying anything, though they have asked what I'd prefer next . I Might look at the nexus 6

This would have been good to know.

If it's a work-assigned phone (and it sounds like it is) you don't want to root it because of the whole 'tampering with company property' thing.

If it's a BYOD phone then your company deserves whatever they get for imposing a BYOD policy.

Citizen Tayne posted:

You shouldn't have to worry about doing these things. A phone is not a computer.

And you are not a constructive poster.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 26, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Edit: This S-OFF poo poo is annoying and I don't want to pay $25 dollars for something that might not work, but also requires I have a stock rom on the device. Sounds like I need to go back to stock from CM and then proceed for there if I want I guess.

I'm not defending them at all, but you should know their program runs first to determine if it will work on your phone. If it won't work, it will tell you and you won't even get to the point of being asked to pay.

Just a suggestion. Give it a whirl. I was shocked at how easy the whole process was. Click, compatible, pay, runs, reboot. S-Off. No data loss. Pretty amazing, IMO.

I did the whole firewater thing years ago and it was a mini-fiasco that I somehow got to work. As I understand, firewater doesn't work anymore (on the M8, that is).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

This would have been good to know.

If it's a work-assigned phone (and it sounds like it is) you don't want to root it because of the whole 'tampering with company property' thing.

If it's a BYOD phone then your company deserves whatever they get for imposing a BYOD policy.

If it's a small place probably no one cares.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I completely understand what you're saying, but I'm a selfish rear end in a top hat and the kind of person who root s a phone the kind of cognitive dissonance that comes with using apps like Facebook.

With Facebook I don't really see the need for a dedicated app; just use the Web site. It has everything I want, anyway.
The app is better for browsing, the website is better for posting (or I'm incompetent and have never figured out how to get the app to thumbnail preview photos for photo or website links.)

revolther posted:

I don't see myself installing CM unless I suffer a traumatic brain injury that erases my memory of the last time I installed a "stable" build on a phone. I'd prefer to pretend that all of the times I installed nightlies never happened.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GWBBQ posted:

The app is better for browsing, the website is better for posting

That's interesting, because I've found that the website is poo poo for posting if you don't want to tell it where you are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I don't see myself installing CM unless I suffer a traumatic brain injury that erases my memory of the last time I installed a "stable" build on a phone. I'd prefer to pretend that all of the times I installed nightlies never happened.
This right here is the loving truth and a half. I mean, I rationalize it by saying most of that was back in the Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread days where it worked reasonably well and got you some decent benefit but now looking back I'd never do it again.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

And you are not a constructive poster.

I posted the only constructive response he received.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

I posted the only constructive response he received.

You shouldn't have to worry about any of this, because you are not a poster.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

This right here is the loving truth and a half. I mean, I rationalize it by saying most of that was back in the Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread days where it worked reasonably well and got you some decent benefit but now looking back I'd never do it again.

I've tried plenty, and I mean A LOT of CM builds and the last one that worked flawlessly for months was CM 10.2.1 (android 4.3 for those non familiar) on my Galaxy S4. Hell, when I use my Lumia 925 and leave my S4 for sperging, I don't even bother to check CM builds anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
CM 11 has been working flawlessly for my AT&T Galaxy S 4 for several months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know then. Since they merged all the jflte (mine was jfltexx) not even snapshots wich are considered "stable" from what I know, work properly. Unless you want an specific feature, flashing it with one of the google edition roms is better in my opinion.