Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Remember those people who watched James Cameron's Avatar and got suicidal because they wished they could live on Pandora?
That's how I'd feel watching Al Gore's America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cliff Racer posted:

Lets not beat around the bush here, if McCain won in 08 it wouldn't have mattered what his health was like because there's no way he'd have won in 12. But then there was no way he was going to win 2008 either so...

He could have won in 2008 if he'd campaigned the way he did 2000. Sometimes I seriously think that the GOP really doesn't want the White House. It's easier to sit back and throw stones than to actually have the responsibility of fixing things.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its been said that the first trillionaire will be the person that cheaply produces left-handed sugar.

What?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think he's referring to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagatose
or molecules like it -- sugar isomers (may be wrong word, I only took intro chemistry)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Like many other molecules and larger objects in the universe, sugar is chiral (that is to say, asymmetric) in the right-handed direction. So we have evolved to deal with right-handed sugar. Presumably a left-handed sugar-like molecule would not interact the same way with our bodies, likely just passing through for the most part without being absorbed into tissue.

If one could make a left-handed sugar, it could very well taste like sugar while having minimal physiological impact. Which means the John Galt of sugar would print money until the end of time.

Have a swiped image:

Edit: Sorry, I forgot this wasn't the chat thread. This is a bit of a derail.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 26, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mercury_Storm posted:

And yet Palin was almost a heart-attack away from being POTUS. How the gently caress would that have even worked?

"Uh Mrs. President, we need your input on how to handle the Ukraine incident."

*rambling gibberish*

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."

Is there even an outside chance that she would have gotten better instead of worse had she had not to resort to Tea Party nonsense?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its been said that the first trillionaire will be the person that cheaply produces left-handed sugar. I have no doubt the first zillionaire will be the person that lets you watch multiverse outcomes like cable tv channels.

I would watch the poo poo out of Palin's America. And Steve Forbes America. And the Unineted States of Herman Cain's America.

edit: Perot America would be like HBO and cost extra.

My idea of Heaven is God with an intergalactic holodeck that you can program with whatever alt-history you want so you can watch it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there even an outside chance that she would have gotten better instead of worse had she had not to resort to Tea Party nonsense?

She was one of the proto-tea party types, she was never not in 'tea party nonsense', she just didn't have a name for it at the time.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

mdemone posted:

Like many other molecules and larger objects in the universe, sugar is chiral (that is to say, asymmetric) in the right-handed direction. So we have evolved to deal with right-handed sugar. Presumably a left-handed sugar-like molecule would not interact the same way with our bodies, likely just passing through for the most part without being absorbed into tissue.

If one could make a left-handed sugar, it could very well taste like sugar while having minimal physiological impact. Which means the John Galt of sugar would print money until the end of time.

Have a swiped image:

Edit: Sorry, I forgot this wasn't the chat thread. This is a bit of a derail.

If it doesn't interact with our body enzymes, mightn't it have no taste at all?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheBalor posted:

That is a chemical possibility but we've made it before and know that humans can taste it.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

TheBalor posted:

It does interact with the taste bud but not the enzyme that would break it down for energy. Unfortunately the effect of eating a lot of left handed sugar would be basically the same as you get from http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/dp/B008JELLCA If it can't be digested it still has to go somewhere.

e: awful app messing with my url tags

Grapeshot fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 26, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

And yet Palin was almost a heart-attack away from being POTUS. How the gently caress would that have even worked?

*rambling gibberish*

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."

I would like to suggest the documentary Iron Skies for their take on this scenario.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grapeshot posted:

It does interact with the taste bud but not the enzyme that would break it down for energy. Unfortunately the effect of eating a lot of left handed sugar would be basically the same as you get from http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-Free-Gummy-Bears/dp/B008JELLCA If it can't be digested it still has to go somewhere.

Luckily L-glucose typically has a laxative effect. :)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Mercury_Storm posted:

*rambling gibberish*

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."

She wouldn't have been directly involved in any serious policy issues. A Palin presidency would have all the actual governing farmed out to advisors and aids. The only thing Palin would directly involve herself in would be taking petty retribution against everyone she perceives as having slighted her.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Good Citizen posted:

She wouldn't have been directly involved in any serious policy issues. A Palin presidency would have all the actual governing farmed out to advisers and aids. The only thing Palin would directly involve herself in would be taking petty retribution against everyone she perceives as having slighted her.
You'd either have a Dubya-esque cabal of advisers pushing things behind the scenes, or a series of Saturday Night Massacres until Palin's purged the unbelievers from her immediate bubble.

Plus a lot of hilarious, hilarious overreaches of power because she was too stupid to know better.
"Whaddya mean I can't fire all the Dummycrats in the Senate. I'M THE PRESIDENT! I'M THEIR BOSS!"

And, oh god, the potential for foreign policy disasters with that woman as diplomat in chief. Like, sombreros and the macarena playing to meet with Guatamalan dignitaries and poo poo.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

A quick glance at Wiki informs me that in 2014 two Americans were beheaded by ISIS.

Staggering numbers, I'm terrified by this massive threat to American lives.

There was also that workplace violence incident the other month.
I tried looking up beheading on the CDC's death report, but I'm not sure that's the right place to find that info.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

She wouldn't have been directly involved in any serious policy issues. A Palin presidency would have all the actual governing farmed out to advisors and aids. The only thing Palin would directly involve herself in would be taking petty retribution against everyone she perceives as having slighted her.

One of the key skills is knowing who your advisors should be. Palin would be making decisions about who she delegated decisions to. That's what made Bush's presidency such a disaster - his own poor decisions were bad enough, but his habit of listening to idiots and putting them in charge was what really did the damage.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
President Palin: The missiles are flying. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

evilweasel posted:

One of the key skills is knowing who your advisors should be. Palin would be making decisions about who she delegated decisions to. That's what made Bush's presidency such a disaster - his own poor decisions were bad enough, but his habit of listening to idiots and putting them in charge was what really did the damage.

Pailin/Brownie 2016

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
:getin: (while you can)

quote:

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie took steps toward entering the Republican primary for the 2016 presidential race, forming a political action committee and hiring staff for a campaign.

Christie, a second-term Republican, filed paperwork on Jan. 23 with the Federal Election Commission establishing the Leadership Matters For America PAC, according to Michael DuHaime, a political adviser. The PAC, which created a website listing Christie as honorary chairman, is a multi-candidate organization allowing him to use the money to support other candidates, cover travel costs and form a staff, DuHaime said.

“This committee was formed to support candidates who tackle tough problems and make tough decisions,” DuHaime said in an interview. “That’s something that’s missing at all levels right now.”

The PAC allows Christie, 52, to begin raising money immediately to increase his national visibility. DuHaime said Leadership Matters has already hired Matt Mowers, a former Christie staff member in Trenton who recently resigned as Republican chairman in early-voting New Hampshire. Fundraising has already begun, and events are planned in 10 states in February and March, he said.

‘Leadership Matters’
The governor, who has said he was considering higher office, has been under pressure to announce his plans since former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and 2012 Republican nominee for president Mitt Romney made moves toward entering the race.

Christie’s move to set up a fundraising apparatus puts him closer to joining a crowded Republican field of potential candidates. Along with Bush and Romney, those who have expressed interest include U.S. senators Marco Rubio of Florida and Rand Paul of Kentucky, as well as governors Scott Walker of Wisconsin and Rick Perry of Texas.

A November Bloomberg Politics/Saint Anselm New Hampshire poll showed Romney leading the pack in that state with support from 30 percent of likely Republican voters when he was included. Christie and Paul tied at 16 percent for the lead when Romney was withdrawn from the roster, the survey found.

“He really can’t wait any longer because there are all these prominent candidates who are getting into the race,” said Julian Zelizer, who teaches history and public affairs at Princeton University. “He’s shown he’s good at raising money for the party, but the question is whether he can turn those donors his own way when he’s the candidate.”

Record Raised
Christie barnstormed the U.S. last year for the midterm elections as chairman of the Republican Governors Association, Republican victories bolstered Christie’s standing after he helped raise a record $102 million for party hopefuls.

“America has been a nation that has always controlled events and yet today events control us,” the PAC said in a mission statement on its website. “Why? Because leadership matters.”

The statement echoes comments Christie made in his State of the State address to New Jersey lawmakers this month. During that speech, he talked about a nation “beset by anxiety.”

Over the weekend, Christie gave a speech to conservative activists at the Iowa Freedom Summit, where he criticized President Barack Obama’s leadership and argued that his success in a Democratic-leaning state shows his party’s opposition to abortion isn’t a detriment.

Economic Recovery
Christie, the first Republican elected New Jersey governor since 1997, ousted Democrat Jon Corzine in 2009 amid voter discontent with high taxes and the economic crisis. He became a national Republican figure after his spars with labor unions and his calls for smaller government.

In 2011, he turned down pleas from some Republican leaders and corporate executives, including Home Depot Inc. (HD) founder Kenneth Langone, to run against Obama. After campaigning for Romney, Christie angered some within his own party when he praised the president and the two embraced on a tarmac after Hurricane Sandy devastated New Jersey’s coastline.

When Christie ran for re-election in November 2013, he touted his ability to work with Democrats who control the legislature, and said it was a lesson for Washington. He beat his Democratic challenger, state Senator Barbara Buono, by 22 percentage points.

Two months later, Christie’s popularity began to slide after e-mails revealed that an aide and an ally arranged traffic jams in September 2013 at the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, where the Democratic mayor didn’t endorse the governor for re-election. Federal and state investigations are ongoing.

Travel Plans
Christie has tried to move past the bridge affair with public appearances, including stumping across the country for Republican candidates and traveling to Mexico and Canada for trade missions. Back home, he has struggled with New Jersey’s budget as revenue falls short of projections and pension, benefit and debt costs eat up more of annual spending.

New Jersey’s lagging economic growth and swelling pension obligations have contributed to eight credit-rating downgrades under Christie, a record for a chief executive of the state.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, told reporters ahead of his speech in Iowa that Christie is “not ready for prime-time.”

“This is a person who doesn’t have his priorities straight,” she said.

http://bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-26/christie-said-to-form-2016-political-action-committee.html

Who else big does that leave to make the first step? I know Rubio recently told staffers to prepare themselves, now Christie is making moves. Has Rand Paul done anything this month?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good Citizen posted:

Well, she is a backwoods racist and almost certainly a raging homophobe, but I wouldn't grant her the credibility or the competence to actually weaponize HIV.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

William Bear posted:

:getin: (while you can)

http://bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-26/christie-said-to-form-2016-political-action-committee.html

Who else big does that leave to make the first step? I know Rubio recently told staffers to prepare themselves, now Christie is making moves. Has Rand Paul done anything this month?

Ironically Christie might be enough of a belligerent rear end in a top hat to survive the primaries without going crazy right wing. I could see him going ape-poo poo on anyone trying to call him a Rino. He could stake our a center-right position and just defend it like a rabid dog.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I hear a lot of people hating Jeb Bush on conservative side(common core and immigration) and saying they refuse to vote for him. Would republicans just not vote for him or is this just empty comments

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Republicans will vote for whoever the Republican nominee is.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hear a lot of people hating Jeb Bush on conservative side(common core and immigration) and saying they refuse to vote for him. Would republicans just not vote for him or is this just empty comments

Freep's admin was banning anyone who said they supported Romney for months, but they all shut up and got in line once he had the nomination.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bpower posted:

Ironically Christie might be enough of a belligerent rear end in a top hat to survive the primaries without going crazy right wing. I could see him going ape-poo poo on anyone trying to call him a Rino. He could stake our a center-right position and just defend it like a rabid dog.

That might backfire because he has an obnoxious kind of fire to him. Obama kind of opened up on Romney over the Benghazi commentary in the second or third debate (can't remember which) and it was that kind of restrained white-hot seething anger that is enough to seem legitimate while not a chair-throwing display. Christie, owing to his accent or manner, would come off like a total shitlord, calling people names, mocking them, etc. It's a tough act to play when you've been "the hothead" for years.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bpower posted:

the right likes his unhinged angry dog shtick when directed against liberals, they won't like it directed against them

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

About the Christie Obama hug, would that have been spontaneous or do things like that get arraigned beforehand?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Freep's admin was banning anyone who said they supported Romney for months, but they all shut up and got in line once he had the nomination.

Hilariously, jimrob (the admin, for those of you wise enough not to bathe in the vitriol that thread presents) then turned around and started banning people who mentioned the earlier bans of Romney supporters. It was one of the most Orwellian things I've ever seen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Christie is lucky if he stays out of prison at this point, there are a dozen serious investigations into his administration from local to federal, his best case in all of them is coming out being incompetent with no idea about what is going on in his administration.

He will probably avoid any serious run as to not bring any more attention to his dysfunctional/corrupt as gently caress administration until a few years from now in the event that he is personally cleared.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
So is it even possible for a Rep candidate to win the nomination without loving themselves in the general? How do you thread that needle? Maybe having 3 "serious moderates" this time will draw a distinct line between them and the crazies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

bpower posted:

So is it even possible for a Rep candidate to win the nomination without loving themselves in the general? How do you thread that needle? Maybe having 3 "serious moderates" this time will draw a distinct line between them and the crazies.

Yes, Romney still got 47% of the vote. All you need is a year with one of the following:

1) Bad turnout among Democrats
2) A candidate that attracts voters who typically vote Democratic
3) A candidate that increases turnout among the Republican base at a higher rate than he motivates Democrats to turn out to oppose him.
4) A recession or act of terrorism shortly before the election.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Missed this Huckabee jewel

"Not to diminish anything about the climate at all,” Huckabee said, “but Mr. President, I believe that most of us would think that a beheading is a far greater threat to an American than a sunburn.”
Hey Huckabee, maybe you should pay more attention to what's actually happening in the Middle East and spend less time in the Fox News bubble. Because if you did, you'd know that ISIL just got their loving asses handed to them in Kobani.

quote:

Kurdish forces have driven Islamic State (IS) militants from Kobane, officials say, ending a four-month battle for the northern Syrian town. Fighters from the Popular Protection Units (YPG) were said to have entered outlying areas in the east of the town after the jihadists retreated.

Photographs posted on social media on Monday afternoon showed the YPG flag being flown around Kobane, and male and female fighters shaking hands. As night fell, celebratory gunfire echoed across the town.

YPG spokesman Polat Jan meanwhile declared on Twitter: "Congratulations to humanity, Kurdistan, and the people of Kobane on the liberation of Kobane." Anwar Muslim, the president of the self-declared Syrian Kurdish canton of Kobane, told the BBC that the town was fully under the control of the YPG and Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga fighters who were deployed in October. However, he added that the situation in the eastern outskirts was still "a little tense", with YPG fighters carrying out "the final clean-up" and besieging areas they believed IS leaders might be hiding.

A US defence department spokesman refrained from saying the battle for Kobane had been won. "The battle continues. But as of now, friendly forces... I believe, have the momentum," Col Steve Warren told the Reuters news agency. The advance by Kurdish forces came after several days of heavy aerial bombardment by coalition aircraft.
But please, keep bleating about how much of a threat ISIL is to Americans, you're just going to end up reminding Americans that Obama's strategy to "degrade and ultimately destroy" ISIL is actually working.:allears:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

bpower posted:

Certainly. Charisma is way more important than actual issues when it comes to presidential politics. The changing demographics of America may eventually put the presidency completely out of reach for the current incarnation of the GOP but we're not quite there yet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, Romney still got 47% of the vote. All you need is a year with one of the following:

1) Bad turnout among Democrats
2) A candidate that attracts voters who typically vote Democratic
3) A candidate that increases turnout among the Republican base at a higher rate than he motivates Democrats to turn out to oppose him.
4) A recession or act of terrorism shortly before the election.

Saying Romney got 47% of the vote is a little misleading about what it takes for him to win - he did, but because Democrats have an edge in the current layout of the electoral college he probably would have lost at like 50.5%.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!

evilweasel posted:

Saying Romney got 47% of the vote is a little misleading about what it takes for him to win - he did, but because Democrats have an edge in the current layout of the electoral college he probably would have lost at like 50.5%.

I know, but my point was that even with the fundamentals stacked against him, Romney still ended up close enough that a one of the other events I listed before could have won it for the Republicans. Some people seem to take "the Democrats have a structural edge in Presidential elections" to mean "the Republican nominee is screwed forever for ideological reasons."

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

bpower posted:

I think you do it by staying in at least until Super Tuesday, no matter your outcome in the early states. The three moderates are going to be drawing from a different income stream than you are, you're the guy (prove me wrong Palin) who the base is clamoring for but the elites justifiably won't touch. Pick one of the serious candidates each debate and hammer them on every single departure from Republican orthodoxy. Don't worry about consistency, the people voting for you in the primary are going to vote for you because you aren't one of those limp-dicks not because you have an actual plan for the future.

Now you've got to win the general. Open with a complete repudiation of all the dumb bullshit you just said. Buy entire hours of ads to explain how the Democrats are the tool of Wall Street and the one percent. Betray every single one of your backers, you've already got their money and any clawback attempts are going to make you look good. Don't profess new beliefs, just go out of your way to push Hillary (or whoever but Hillary) right. Talk about a guaranteed minimum income, while holding up a sign that says "I believe none of this." Claim every position simultaneously. Get elected by a wave of people who appreciate performance art, the twenty percent of Americans who will vote Republican even if Jesus is running as a Democrat, and generally confused voters. Bask in your new found power.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

Now you've got to win the general. Open with a complete repudiation of all the dumb bullshit you just said. Buy entire hours of ads to explain how the Democrats are the tool of Wall Street and the one percent. Betray every single one of your backers, you've already got their money and any clawback attempts are going to make you look good. Don't profess new beliefs, just go out of your way to push Hillary (or whoever but Hillary) right. Talk about a guaranteed minimum income, while holding up a sign that says "I believe none of this." Claim every position simultaneously. Get elected by a wave of people who appreciate performance art, the twenty percent of Americans who will vote Republican even if Jesus is running as a Democrat, and generally confused voters. Bask in your new found power.

loving lmao, that might actually work.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This new candidate could win southern conservatives if it runs

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 26, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

Someone threw up a map in the chat thread that showed Hilary winning even if Illinois, Nevada, Colorado and Florida flipped to republican.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

This new candidate could win southern conservatives if it runs

:negative: it would. it would, dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Someone threw up a map in the chat thread that showed Hilary winning even if Illinois, Nevada, Colorado and Florida flipped to republican.

Issue: It has IL going red while WI stays blue. That just seems absurd

• Locked thread