Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
More FIFA sponsors have decided not to renew their contracts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rning-body.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Jose posted:

i like how they're calling FIFA the Sepp Blatter regime.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Jose posted:

Excellent. Now if only all the existing FA's from countries that matter would leave FIFA and start a new organization

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mino Raiola is now going to run for FIFA prez: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...presidency.html

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Troy Queef posted:

Mino Raiola is now going to run for FIFA prez: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...presidency.html

Might as well make it official I guess

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

It doesn't actually matter because apparently they're just going to replace them with Russian and Qatari sponsors according to an article I read.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I suppose when most of their money comes from Russian and Qatari masters the anti-racism campaigns will come to an end

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

vyelkin posted:

It doesn't actually matter because apparently they're just going to replace them with Russian and Qatari sponsors according to an article I read.

If the western sponsors are out, I imagine it becomes easier for the European FAs to maybe leave one day but I'm sure that's wishful thinking.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Puseklepp posted:

If the western sponsors are out, I imagine it becomes easier for the European FAs to maybe leave one day but I'm sure that's wishful thinking.

Well not all the Western sponsors have left. Apparently Adidas recently signed a contract extension until 2030 and they're aggressively courting Samsung and Pepsi (I think) to replace Sony and Coca-Cola.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30992935

Michael van Praag, the head of the Dutch FA, is going to stand against Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
I hope everyone who runs against Blatter mysteriously commits suicide in a series of unrelated deaths

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
How long into that Bin-Hammam guy's candidacy did Sepp drop the dime on him?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
All these Euros are going to get about 10 votes each while Sepp washes them out with hundreds from Asia and Africa.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

vyelkin posted:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30992935

Michael van Praag, the head of the Dutch FA, is going to stand against Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

At this point I'm convinced these runs are all paid for by Blatter to dilute the vote of people who are against him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Classic salami strategy, he gets to purge all of his political opponents while claiming to have a democratic mandate

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Blatter must have some mega dirt on Platini if he isn't running

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

julian assflange posted:

Blatter must have some mega dirt on Platini if he isn't running

Good. Would you really want the guy who wants to introduce white cards to run for the head office? He's a loving nutjob. White cards. Trust a Frenchman to come up with that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Platini was also a huge supporter of Qatar 2022, so he's not exactly going to run on a campaign of rooting out corruption in FIFA.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Platini would be worse than Blatter and it's only because people mistakenly think he'd be pro-UEFA that he gets support.
I think the plan is a zerg of nobodies cause Blatter to stand down and Platini sails in on a wave of Qatari money to "steady the ship"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

The parliamentary assembly of the Council of Europe has called on Fifa to rerun the vote to host the 2022 World Cup, claiming in a report that the original process was “radically flawed” due to bribery and corruption.

The report, following a series of hearings last year, claims that large sums of money that were paid to more than 30 African football officials by the Qatari former Fifa vice-president Mohammed bin Hammam helped secure the votes of the Confederation of African Football.

Before last summer’s World Cup, the Sunday Times published claims that Bin Hammam had distributed more than $5m in cash gifts, expenses and legal fees to officials. Qatar 2022 has “vehemently denied” wrongdoing and insisted the alleged payments were designed to build goodwill for Bin Hammam’s campaign to dethrone Sepp Blatter as Fifa president rather than win votes for its World Cup bid. It has claimed that Bin Hammam played no “official or unofficial role” in the bid.

But the report’s author, Michael Connarty, having examined the documents obtained by the Sunday Times, said he was convinced they provided evidence of corruption. “Given the structured action of this scale and the sums involved, there can be no doubt that there was a direct correlation between these flagrant irregularities and the outcome of the vote,” he said.

As well as examining the documents provided by the Sunday Times and questioning one of the journalists involved, Heidi Blake, the parliamentarians also heard from Fifa representatives.

Connarty said he had concluded “beyond all reasonable doubt” that the payments from Bin Hammam were designed to win the votes of the African members on the executive committee, thus allowing Qatar to eliminate two rival Asian bids – Australia and Japan/South Korea – in the early rounds of bidding.

“In these circumstances, Fifa cannot evade the obligation to hold a new vote under its new rules on the allocation of major events including the World Cup,” said the report. “The claim that Qatar does not have direct responsibility for Mr Bin Hammam’s dealings should not be allowed to validate a procedure so fundamentally undermined by illegality.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/27/world-cup-2022-qatar-fifa-vote-rerun-council-of-europe

:pram:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
They probably have more to lose with a jilted Qatar selling everyone out after 2022 is taken away at this point.

If they have a revote at all (increasingly unlikely) they will just re-elect Qatar and point to how transparent they were.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Figo is now also running for FIFA presidency

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Divide And Conquer: Sepp Blatter Edition

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seriously, these guys are gonna get 10 votes each and Blatter will ride to victory on the back of 200 votes from places like Micronesia and St. Kitts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Figo, Ginola and Raiola probably aren't eligible anyway so its meaningless

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, the two big challengers are probably the Jordanian prince and the Dutch FA president (don't remember their names), since they actually went to the trouble of getting backers from each continent like you're supposed to, before announcing their candidacy. I don't know if Jerome Champaigne is even still running.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, the two big challengers are probably the Jordanian prince and the Dutch FA president (don't remember their names), since they actually went to the trouble of getting backers from each continent like you're supposed to, before announcing their candidacy. I don't know if Jerome Champaigne is even still running.

what is this rear end backwards electoral system

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FIFA changed the rules after the last election so that not just anyone who run. You need to have 3 of the previous 5 years working in football administration and have the backing of a few member nations from different the federations

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Oh yeah that'll help combat systemic corruption

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dex_sda posted:

what is this rear end backwards electoral system

It's almost like a rigged system designed to make sure the same small circle of super corrupt old dudes gets to stay in power in perpetuity and at best the chairs are shuffled around every couple of years.

But that'd be crazy.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
You'd think a radical idea like using the billions of dollars that FIFA has in reserve to improve the quality of FAs across the world might be a good platform for someone to challenge Blatter, but I guess that's why I'm not running for the presidency.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shoren posted:

You'd think a radical idea like using the billions of dollars that FIFA has in reserve to improve the quality of FAs across the world might be a good platform for someone to challenge Blatter, but I guess that's why I'm not running for the presidency.

It's not as good a platform as using FIFA's billions of dollars to fatten the wallets of the people who get to vote, unfortunately.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

It's almost like a rigged system designed to make sure the same small circle of super corrupt old dudes gets to stay in power in perpetuity and at best the chairs are shuffled around every couple of years.

But that'd be crazy.

I'm just curious to know how they sold the voting system changes in interviews and the press. That's bound to be a PR comedy goldmine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

It's not as good a platform as using FIFA's billions of dollars to fatten the wallets of the people who get to vote, unfortunately.

They've got so much money that they don't even use much of it on this. Its crazy how much they're sitting on doing absolutely nothing with

dex_sda posted:

I'm just curious to know how they sold the voting system changes in interviews and the press. That's bound to be a PR comedy goldmine

Presumably the Ex-Co members can make the change themselves. If not all the FA heads and such will not want outsiders able to run so it can't have been hard

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I'm glad that I have not been contributing to FIFA's largesse by sticking to watching my football on illegal Chinese streams. All those of you who actually go to matches to watch them live should be very ashamed of yourselves.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

Presumably the Ex-Co members can make the change themselves. If not all the FA heads and such will not want outsiders able to run so it can't have been hard

I understand that, I just mean what happened after? Surely someone from the press asked Blatter in an interview 'what the gently caress, man' (in so many words)? I wanna see the response to that

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

I'm glad that I have not been contributing to FIFA's largesse by sticking to watching my football on illegal Chinese streams. All those of you who actually go to matches to watch them live should be very ashamed of yourselves.

Ive grown accustomed to my favorite announcer, Anwar Faatin Jafari Shaqeeq Rehman Bakar Saber. Who could forget such classic lines such as" "وسجل ليفربول هدفا التي كانت جيدة. الموت في الغرب.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

tbp posted:

Ive grown accustomed to my favorite announcer, Anwar Faatin Jafari Shaqeeq Rehman Bakar Saber. Who could forget such classic lines such as" "وسجل ليفربول هدفا التي كانت جيدة. الموت في الغرب.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

lmao potm

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

tbp posted:

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tbp posted:

Ahahahahaha