Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Flameingblack posted:

I've seen him play really good Supertanks like Mundo, but the issue is that he's the Doublelift of top lane, and now CLG basically has two doublelifts that will fight one another on the chance to split push all game and attempt to carry completely on their own.

I guess Mundo is still... (technically) a hyper-scaling melee carry.

Pro Top lane is very unique right now. You have to play team supporting champions with extremely difficult timings and it's almost all decision-making (when/where to teleport, timing/engaging with Gnar/Liss/Rumble ult). Zion has never seemed like a player that excelled at any of those things to me. Maybe I'm wrong and he's about to dust off some major play and push CLG over the hump they've never been able to cross, but I doubt both him and the team they have built for this split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Savage Cracker posted:

(Hopefully) better communication is the only thing I think Zion is going to add to CLG compared to Seraph unless toplane hyper carries make a return.
Duke looks great in Korea right now playing Lissandra, Rumble, and Gnar, but GE is a little more rounded of a team than CLG is. CLG just has bad shotcalling and communication.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Libertine posted:

I guess Mundo is still... (technically) a hyper-scaling melee carry.

Pro Top lane is very unique right now. You have to play team supporting champions with extremely difficult timings and it's almost all decision-making (when/where to teleport, timing/engaging with Gnar/Liss/Rumble ult). Zion has never seemed like a player that excelled at any of those things to me. Maybe I'm wrong and he's about to dust off some major play and push CLG over the hump they've never been able to cross, but I doubt both him and the team they have built for this split.

Yet Irelia is also presently a meta top laner as a counter to Gnar and she's exactly the kind of melee super carry Zion is good at. If he's any good at Lissandra CLG could theoretically force bans on one or both of those champions and get more freedom to draft not-LeBlanc for Link and an ADC with actual range for Doublelift.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lightning Knight posted:

Yet Irelia is also presently a meta top laner as a counter to Gnar and she's exactly the kind of melee super carry Zion is good at. If he's any good at Lissandra CLG could theoretically force bans on one or both of those champions and get more freedom to draft not-LeBlanc for Link and an ADC with actual range for Doublelift.

Yeah I'm assuming if you sign Zion to play for your team, you want him on Jax / Irelia type champions every game and you want to build teams around that. That's what I expect from CLG, but with the added issue of Doublelift's constant stubborness, who knows what their P/B phases will look like.

Top laners who are carry mains just seem to struggle in extended pro play. EG kind of showed with Innox (and Zion showed with his own previous teams), that if you can ban the strong(est) carry or two against them and force them onto less powerful individual champions those kind of players don't seem to be able to adapt.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
if you're ever talking about clg and say 'if [thing] happens they will be really good' - thing will never happen and you should feel embarrassed and ashamed for thinking it will

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Watching C9 - Gravity now:

Wow, Hai looks baaaaad. Not sure what is going on with him, but I haven't seen him look this bad since C9 was in challenger under a different name.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Sexpansion posted:

Wow, Hai looks baaaaad. Not sure what is going on with him, but I haven't seen him look this bad since C9 was in challenger under a different name.

Obviously his lung collapsed again and stole his skill. :v:

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Sexpansion posted:

That game was way more troubling than the tsm game in terms of upsets b/c in my opinion c9 had the better comp and played the early game way better (despite balls insanely dumb death) and then just lost anyways because ???

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

That game was way more troubling than the tsm game in terms of upsets b/c in my opinion c9 had the better comp and played the early game way better (despite balls insanely dumb death) and then just lost anyways because ???

Totally agree. They had a way better teamcomp, then proceeded to teamfight horribly over and over and over again.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Mostly because Sion was a bad choice for the tank I think. Against Kass Zed Vi somebody that immobile is no good. Maokai woulda been way better for instance. As it was, C9 effectively had no frontline, just a bunch of shields for Kog.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think c9 will bounce back, they did last split after going 0-2 to COMPLEXITY.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Now that coaches part of the p&b phase rather than just being a C9 strength because they researched it, what else do they have going for them at that point? Just Hai's shot calling?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flipswitch posted:

Now that coaches part of the p&b phase rather than just being a C9 strength because they researched it, what else do they have going for them at that point? Just Hai's shot calling?

Hai's Talon

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Hai's Talon

And his earring.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Savage Cracker posted:

And his earring.

came to post this

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flipswitch posted:

They used to have good teamfighting but their teamfighting looked awful this weekend. I honestly think that we're not really seeing C9 is bad (though they looked out of practice), we're seeing the rest of NA having picked up enough of what made C9 so good that their weaknesses are much more pronounced. After a year and a half and bad luck with Hai's Lung C9 came back last summer to find everyone learning all their tricks and they were accordingly no longer as dominant.

This doesn't explain why TSM is still bad and lost to Team 8 though, other than maybe Santorin is really bad. :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Huh, that's true, lemon's pb phase has always been a major strength.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Sneaky being a god, mostly. I...gotta be honest, C9 never really impressed me at the playmaking level besides him. People always say Balls is good, but every time I look at him he performs like crap. Something about C9 feels ready to get exposed, and though I don't wanna see them lose I can't shake off the feeling that they're gonna tumble hard this split.

Lightning Knight posted:

They used to have good teamfighting but their teamfighting looked awful this weekend. I honestly think that we're not really seeing C9 is bad (though they looked out of practice), we're seeing the rest of NA having picked up enough of what made C9 so good that their weaknesses are much more pronounced. After a year and a half and bad luck with Hai's Lung C9 came back last summer to find everyone learning all their tricks and they were accordingly no longer as dominant.

This doesn't explain why TSM is still bad and lost to Team 8 though, other than maybe Santorin is really bad. :v:

Bad PB mostly. Loco must have spent all his time researching C9 instead of prepping for Team 8 as well.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
C9 played like rear end in the teamfights on day 2 they did poo poo like where the 0 damage frontline dove while the damage stayed back because they got zoned, almost like they had no communication.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Okay Xspecial solo-killing a half-health xsmithie was pretty hilarious.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'm under the impression that leblanc is an incredibly risky blind pick for competitive right now. I know her mobility is the best out of all the midlaners, but I don't think she's super effective against coordinated teams. What do you guys think?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I think Curse/Liquid is the only NA team that actually took the off-season to correct all of their issues and build a better team and they might win this split because of it.

Cloud 9 is basically the same team, but worse, out of practice, not having the same advantages they used to because other teams stepping up their planning, their lack of vision and off-kilter games really will haunt them all split probably.
TSM blamed Amazing for all of their problems and then went out and down-graded their jungler.
Dignitas said gently caress it let's shoot for the bottom, got rid of their good players, kept their bad ones, and rolled the dice on some Koreans just because.
CLG still has Link and Doublelift (the problems), they just brought in two new guys to shift the blame to.

TIP built a whole new team from scratch so I don't think they can really be compared here. They are basically like the new Challenger tier of teams but they have an insanely high ceiling if they put it together and get communication right.

None of this year's challenger teams are free wins or push-overs. They all blend experienced players with extremely high ELO challenger players. There's not much to say that they are on paper any worse than any of the old guard.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Y'all are blowing this way out of proportion; exactly like the people who thought Summer Split was the end of C9. They'll pick up by playoffs, and while neither first or second place is guaranteed for them, they're still going to be top 3.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

TSM struggles to deal with sudden situation changes (totally ripped this from a thoorin vid) is what I'll go with. I dunno TSM are one of those teams that play like utter retards when it calls for it but tends to bring it around when it counts.

Savage Cracker posted:

And his earring.
Lol, it looks pretty bad.

Transient People posted:

Sneaky being a god, mostly. I...gotta be honest, C9 never really impressed me at the playmaking level besides him. People always say Balls is good, but every time I look at him he performs like crap. Something about C9 feels ready to get exposed, and though I don't wanna see them lose I can't shake off the feeling that they're gonna tumble hard this split.
The only things I've ever heard of C9 is "Lemons Notebook, Sneaky is underrated and they're the team that's been together the longest in NA". The first is basically now done for every team, the second one is basically a meme at this point and the third isn't even remotely relevant. I don't actually follow the team well enough to make a call but I think they'll lose their edge this split against other teams. That's just my not very well informed opinion on C9 though, I find them void of any charisma and thus don't give a poo poo about them. :shrug:

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Another thing is because the season is only 18 games for each team each loss counts for more and it likely wont take many more losses to make a top 2 finish difficult.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
c9 played lacked communication in teamfights and they banned loving rumble and lissandra every game like you are supposed to vs them.

I think santorin is better than amazing because he has the confidence to actually throw his weight around which is a must when playing the jungle role. Amazing didnt want anyone to blame him if things went wrong in any of his games so he just played like "uh guys im not feeding i must be doing great right?"

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Savage Cracker posted:

Another thing is because the season is only 18 games for each team each loss counts for more and it likely wont take many more losses to make a top 2 finish difficult.

I think you'll start seeing desperate teams make roster changes after Week 2/3. That happened last split IIRC. We'll see how the teams differentiate in the standings, but yeah lack of games will make late-season rallies really difficult.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Welp, this week confirms that the worst things about watching competitive league are still Phreak and Riv. I don't even know that I'm going to tune in to a single EU match without Joe and Deman. At least LPL has Pastrytime!

Can someone direct me to the competitive thread that doesn't have any fantasy stuff in it? I can't find it.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
phreak was so terrible it was amazing to watch him find the most awkward poo poo possible to say it was almost like he was doing it on purpose or something

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
ESEX wrote a piece about HTC and the NALCS

Badfinger posted:

Welp, this week confirms that the worst things about watching competitive league are still Phreak and Riv. I don't even know that I'm going to tune in to a single EU match without Joe and Deman. At least LPL has Pastrytime!

I'm hoping PIra will turn into a decent caster on the EU side. He's already tolerable and better than Riv.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Badfinger posted:

Can someone direct me to the competitive thread that doesn't have any fantasy stuff in it? I can't find it.

I put forth a suggestion that we keep our Fantasy discussions in the post framework on the Fantasy Esports website. I'm not sure if people are cool with that or not, but it seems like a good compromise. Other people have added that the fantasy stuff usually dies out really hard after a few weeks.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

I put forth a suggestion that we keep our Fantasy discussions in the post framework on the Fantasy Esports website. I'm not sure if people are cool with that or not, but it seems like a good compromise. Other people have added that the fantasy stuff usually dies out really hard after a few weeks.
In two or three more weeks people won't post about their fantasy teams until the season's over, it's the same thing that happened last time. We're still discussing individual players and teams, it's still all on topic.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Flameingblack posted:

In two or three more weeks people won't post about their fantasy teams until the season's over, it's the same thing that happened last time. We're still discussing individual players and teams, it's still all on topic.

It's a hard rule in SAS to not post fantasy stuff in discussion threads, and it's one of the best rules ever made.

I wish the NA broadcast team was just Jatt and Kobe, talking about junglers forever.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Libertine posted:

That'd be really cool, how about y'all try it out. I think we're pretty close to the seven people Flameingblack set as the official requirement of fantasy talk non-wanters, and considering that number was probably meticulously calculated to indicate a sufficient consensus on how the thread should be steered, it looks like we don't want fantasy LCS here.

In other news, Ocelote (along with Dexter) seems to be booked for the IEM Taipei gig as an analyst. With G2 being an endless pit of (whose?) money, maybe it's high time to look for a real job :xd:

The strangeness a "talent line-up" announcement being about commentators is not entirely lost on me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Amazing left TSM, it wasn't like TSM kicked him out. Amazing being home sick and wanting to go back to EU put TSM in a bad spot this offseason since it was going to be hard for them to do anything at jungler.

I think Santorin is probably a decent prospect, and might develop into a top class jungler, but I think its more likely TSM goes full Yankees and dumps him for a big talent around summer split. Maybe Meteos when C9 disbands.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

This makes it really hard to discuss inter-league stuff with other people though. If we have to find another place, it should be its own thread.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
C9 really needed a Maokai (was disabled for week 1 I assume), a Lulu or a Kayle for that comp to work. Zed and Kassadin don't give a poo poo about Sion or Rek'sai, they can just blink right past him to blow up Hai and Sneaky. Not that Hai/Balls/Meteos played well at all, but that comp seemed doomed to begin with.

C9 really needed to replace Hai in the offseason - even without Balls/Meteos playing like garbage, Hai (playing as he has since the start of the summer split) is outclassed by every other NA mid except possibly Slooshie.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 26, 2015

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Firebert posted:

C9 really needed a Maokai (was disabled for week 1 I assume), a Lulu or a Kayle for that comp to work. Zed and Kassadin don't give a poo poo about Sion or Rek'sai, they can just blink right past him to blow up Hai and Sneaky. Not that Hai/Balls/Meteos played well at all, but that comp seemed doomed to begin with.

C9 really needed to replace Hai in the offseason - even without Balls/Meteos playing like garbage, Hai (playing as he has since the start of the summer split) is outclassed by every other NA mid except possibly Slooshie.

Hai was very much outclassed by Slooshie. They played the same champions. Hai couldn't give his team what was required. Slooshie owned it. Hai needs to be outthinking the enemy team or he is completely worthless to the team.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

I think Santorin is probably a decent prospect, and might develop into a top class jungler, but I think its more likely TSM goes full Yankees and dumps him for a big talent around summer split. Maybe Meteos when C9 disbands.

Is Meteos really an upgrade? I feel like it's been a while since there was a game where I really went "Yeah Meteos kicked rear end!" like it used to be back in earlier seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Here's the new fantasy thread for this season. If it doesn't get a lot of attention then next season we're keeping them in one thread and you'll just have to deal w/ it since there's no reason to have a fantasy thread for the 5 people who post about it.

• Locked thread