Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

zolthorg posted:

No? They have to take several months to make Mewtwo because they finished and shipped the game. And then went "OH poo poo, people EXPECTED DLC?" "What's DLC?!". Mewtwo's development is literally starting from square 1 because of Japanese development house ignorance of the western market. And they've outright stated Mewtwo is a test and will probably be the only DLC.

Except they've had other games with DLC people bought a shitload of?

Nintendo is not a stranger to DLC anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nintendo didn't develop Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not Sora LTD or Bandai Namco on the Wii U and especially not Sakurai who clearly doesn't want to add any paid content to the game. There is no company wide push at Nintendo to ensure games have DLC in them. There is only a company wide push to use the new Amiibo feature like so many Wii games and DS games with horrible control schemes finagled into them before. And a clear company push toward match 3 free to play garbage.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unsubstantiated nothing, we'll be getting a shitload of DLC within a year, guaranteed

Who's hyped for Dr. Luigi? :getin:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SilverSupernova posted:

This but unironically.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

SilverSupernova posted:

At least he finished medical school, unlike his layabout brother.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

We're probably going to get paid DLC character skins, I mean that's like printing money really. I'd be surprised if they didn't do this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

zolthorg posted:

No? They have to take several months to make Mewtwo because they finished and shipped the game. And then went "OH poo poo, people EXPECTED DLC?" "What's DLC?!". Mewtwo's development is literally starting from square 1 because of Japanese development house ignorance of the western market. And they've outright stated Mewtwo is a test and will probably be the only DLC.

If you think Mewtwo will be the only Smash DLC and that Mewtwo will be the only real addition in that DLC, well I think you are wrong sir

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Reiley posted:

We're probably going to get paid DLC character skins, I mean that's like printing money really. I'd be surprised if they didn't do this.

I can see them doing DLC skins more than I see them doing full characters, easier way to milk the Smash teat and keep the Amiibos rolling out.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Macaluso posted:

If you think Mewtwo will be the only Smash DLC and that Mewtwo will be the only real addition in that DLC, well I think you are wrong sir

Well Duh!
We're getting Mewtwo AND the Miiverse stage.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Macaluso posted:

As good Ser Pat would say. Being a cynic is the best. Because if you're right you're right. If you're wrong, and it turns out to be more then you cynically hypothesised, then that's awesome.

All i'm expecting out of Smash Bros DLC is the Miiverse stage and a few 'clone character's that are based off another character (Lucas = Ness, Roy = Lucina, Mewtwo = Lucario) With their own set of that character's custom B moves / some new ones (not a full choice of 4 for each direction, just one set) As an extra 'slot' on the character select screen with their own portrait.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I still don't get the Lucario = Mewtwo thing. Like is Samus a clone of WiiFitTrainer because their neutral b moves are similar?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I still don't get the Lucario = Mewtwo thing. Like is Samus a clone of WiiFitTrainer because their neutral b moves are similar?
Samus and Wii Fit Trainer both occupy the same niche: hilarious punching bag.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm assuming Aura Sphere is similar to Shadow Ball and they both had non-damaging Up Bs. Plus they were pokemon with movies names after them where they fight Mew.
That's my guess. Keep in mind at one point, this community called the Duck Hunt Dog a clone of Snake.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm assuming Aura Sphere is similar to Shadow Ball and they both had non-damaging Up Bs. Plus they were pokemon with movies names after them where they fight Mew.
That's my guess. Keep in mind at one point, this community called the Duck Hunt Dog a clone of Snake.

The Villager is actually a Snake clone. No one would argue with you that Luigi or Villager didn't deserve their own portrait slot on the select screen.

Also in Brawl Lucario was closer to Mewtwo, the issue is that they built upon the character for 2 successive games, and basically everything about Mewtwo was garbage so only a little remains. Its like the simultaneous development of Captain and Ganon and only Captain ended up as a remotely usable extreme.

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 27, 2015

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

zolthorg posted:

Its like the simultaneous development of Captain and Ganon and only Captain ended up as a remotely usable extreme.

Captain Falcon was developed in the N64 game and Ganon was developed in Melee.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

Captain Falcon was developed in the N64 game and Ganon was developed in Melee.

Captain Falcon has changed slightly in every game. Ganondorf has changed significantly in every game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zolthorg posted:

Captain Falcon has changed slightly in every game. Ganondorf has changed significantly in every game

Other than getting a new Forward+B in Brawl what else changed?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He can taunt with his sword

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Ganondorf was actually a legitimate character in Melee. In Brawl he was lovely (http://www.ssbwiki.com/Ganondorf_(SSBB)) . He's returned to being like, actually playable in Smash 4 (http://www.ssbwiki.com/Ganondorf_%28SSB4%29) - basically overall more powerful, moves faster and much less lag.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Ganondorf and Falcon are extremely, extremely different and both are viable, especially in competitive Melee.

Falcon is a rushdown character, whereas Ganon is entirely punishment based. Ganon is becoming less viable due to techskill becoming much more unified across the player base (Making options for punishment much, much less common) but he is still very functional.

Ganondorf has changed a lot between the games. In Melee, he has his predictable but very powerful recovery tools, whereas his recovery and airgame got completely nerfed to poo poo in both Brawl and Smash 4. The properties of Wizard's foot have changed in every game (not a spike anymore), and his overall speed nerf changed a lot of how he played. His range was considerably reduced as well, making his spacing much more difficult due to a lack of strong movement options compared to his already poor movement in Melee. I'm not sure if this is a Brawl thing as well, but in Smash 4 he can't ledgehop, which also limits his recovery options.

His overB changing is obvious, and its KO potential on the stage is also worse than Gerudo Dragon. Essentially, Ganondorf went from being a punishment oriented character with extremely good chaingrab combo and aerial strength into... a slow powerful grappler that profits mostly on single moves and pushing the opponent into shield.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In Brawl, Lucario was developed to supercede Mewtwo -- Who was originally intended to be in the game but got cut for Lucario as he was the image character at the time. They have very similar movement and aside from neutral B being a very good recovery option for Mewtwo in Melee, have very similar mindgames based around grab + uthrow for kills and mixup combos. They also were succeptible to most of the same tactics, mainly gimping and uthrow due to their weight. Mewtwo was considerably lighter than Lucario but due to the physics it didn't make a huge difference.

Lucario in PM and Smash 4 are very different from Melee Mewtwo, so anyone who says that they are similar are objectively wrong, especially considering how rage and aura now work to make Lucario an ultra aggressive, long-living character.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mewtwo is psychic type, and Lucario is fighting/steel

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I never got how Lucario is supposed to be Steel-type. Is it just the three spikes?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's totally just that, yeah. They have quite similar neutral-b's so it doesn't matter that literally the entire rest of their movesets are totally different

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Until Lucario can hold items with his mind, Mewtwo will always be superior.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

RyokoTK posted:

I never got how Lucario is supposed to be Steel-type. Is it just the three spikes?
I always felt sorry for Lucario, he can never hug anyone.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

laplace posted:

Ganondorf and Falcon are extremely, extremely different and both are viable, especially in competitive Melee.

Falcon is a rushdown character, whereas Ganon is entirely punishment based. Ganon is becoming less viable due to techskill becoming much more unified across the player base (Making options for punishment much, much less common) but he is still very functional.

Ganondorf has changed a lot between the games. In Melee, he has his predictable but very powerful recovery tools, whereas his recovery and airgame got completely nerfed to poo poo in both Brawl and Smash 4. The properties of Wizard's foot have changed in every game (not a spike anymore), and his overall speed nerf changed a lot of how he played. His range was considerably reduced as well, making his spacing much more difficult due to a lack of strong movement options compared to his already poor movement in Melee. I'm not sure if this is a Brawl thing as well, but in Smash 4 he can't ledgehop, which also limits his recovery options.

What do people mean that he can't ledgehop in Smash 4, because I've heard it a few times now? You can definitely drop the ledge, use your second jump and then forward air onto the stage, it just requires more precise timing than other characters. Am I missing something about what ledgehop means?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Mewtwo is psychic type, and Lucario is fighting/steel

It's worth noting that with the power of Mega Evolution, Mewtwo can potentially gain the Fighting type. It can never be Steel, however.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SilverSupernova posted:

You might as well say that Palutena = Melee Mewtwo since they're both tall, light, floaty, and share Warp Teleport.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lucario has steel bones, like Wolverine. It's why they fight and never give up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reiley posted:

Lucario has steel bones, like Wolverine. It's why they fight and never give up.

Except Lucario can beat his magnetic nemesis where Wolverine gets clowned hilariously

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Forward tilt, down tilt, up-smash, and up-throw are now different in addition to jab and forward air (and technically up tilt too), and Warlock Punch and Dark Dive have been altered, making them more like variants of the originals. He also gets different custom specials than Captain Falcon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RyokoTK posted:

I think it just came out during a phase where Gamefreak was enamored with Steel types (and psychic, but that arguably never ended). Jirachi is steel, and that makes even less sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

I think it just came out during a phase where Gamefreak was enamored with Steel types (and psychic, but that arguably never ended). Jirachi is steel, and that makes even less sense.

Mew, the first secret Pokémon was Psychic.

Celebi, the second secret Pokémon was Grass/Psychic.

Jirachi, the third secret Pokémon was Steel/Rock.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mew, the first secret Pokémon was Psychic.

Celebi, the second secret Pokémon was Grass/Psychic.

Jirachi, the third secret Pokémon was Steel/Rock.

Jirachi is Steel/Psychic, unless something's going over my head.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mycot posted:

Jirachi is Steel/Psychic, unless something's going over my head.

No, you're right. Jirachi is Steel/Psychic. (Or Psychic/Steel or whatever.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reiley posted:

"We added Chrom!"

As a costume for Marth

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

"We added Chrom!"

As a costume for Marth

It would be about as accurate to do so as it was for Lucina, considering they have the same attack style in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chrom should be an alt for Ike, his attacks are more brute force while Lucina carries hers in a more rapier-way. Hell, Chrom swings rapiers like a club and sticks them in the ground afterwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Duck Hunt with a little dog bandanna... that would be very cute

• Locked thread