Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wiping server instances sure, but wiping actual cosmetics for players would be pretty lovely. Its not like theres normal "progression" in this game.

That would mean that money spent on airdrops is literally just dropping it down a hole with nothing to show for it though. Maybe this game is actually an artistic statement about microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

BR servers fill up so fast that it's ridiculous. Waited for a little bit until a BR server popped up, very low population, go to join and immediately I am put in queue as 68 with a hour long wait, so I say gently caress that and look at the server browser; it's already "high" on the population level.

Edit: Also cancelling a queue disallows you from joining other servers until you restart your game.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Is there a trick to actually getting rewards from BR? I played 5-6 rounds last night placing anywhere from 30th to 4th, but didn't get any rewards. I know they're buggy, so I wasn't expecting to get them for every match...one or two mystery bags would have been swell, though.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

M2tt posted:

Is there a trick to actually getting rewards from BR? I played 5-6 rounds last night placing anywhere from 30th to 4th, but didn't get any rewards. I know they're buggy, so I wasn't expecting to get them for every match...one or two mystery bags would have been swell, though.

I died almost immediately in the two rounds I played and got a bag both times. Are you sure they aren't in your account inventory? Mine show up when I join another game afterwards.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dvsilverwing posted:

I died almost immediately in the two rounds I played and got a bag both times. Are you sure they aren't in your account inventory? Mine show up when I join another game afterwards.

Yep, they're definitely not there. I'll try again tonight and just hope it was a string of bad luck I guess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That would mean that money spent on airdrops is literally just dropping it down a hole with nothing to show for it though. Maybe this game is actually an artistic statement about microtransactions.

Getting a bullet to the head before you even get to the airdrop is mostly the same.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

So many games have done the whole 'charge people for poo poo before the end of alpha/beta wipe' and the usual practice is to either refund the fake money spent on those things, or return the things purchased.

I know this is :soe: we're talking about, but not even Funcom was so fundamentally stupid as to not do this.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

M2tt posted:

Yep, they're definitely not there. I'll try again tonight and just hope it was a string of bad luck I guess.

Not passing judgment or anything but you are looking at the bottom left area of your inventory, correct?

I've definitely not gotten rewards before, but have always gotten at least 1 per 2 games played. I'd estimate I miss 1 out of 5, and I've even gotten one for dying in 195th place. BR gets pretty insane and dumb with 200 people.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Knightmare posted:

Not passing judgment or anything but you are looking at the bottom left area of your inventory, correct?

No worries, and yeah, listed among my 3 event tickets, 0 everything else, and already unlocked cosmetics there's a distinct lack of mystery bags. I've also lost 3 characters to that log in to a CTD bug too though, so my track record is pretty terrible so far. I'll check in tonight after I give it another shot, though.

Edit: tried again, same deal

more edits:

8th time's the charm

M2tt fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 27, 2015

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So I wonder what will be in the patch tonight. Just got in some dudes cop car and forced them to carry me around. They thought they would scare me by shooting the car, while they were out in the middle of no where. Then I got disconnected :sad:.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

forge posted:

So I wonder what will be in the patch tonight. Just got in some dudes cop car and forced them to carry me around. They thought they would scare me by shooting the car, while they were out in the middle of no where. Then I got disconnected :sad:.

Curious as well, it could be something super mundane like more loot adjustment.

Or maybe a surprise, like the crossbow that someone found hidden in the game files

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Planning on getting this soon, but I have a Dumb question- I've never actually played with other goons on an mmo; how will I find all y'all? Will I just know?

Follow the path of chaos and dead pubbies? I've not played many fps's, but this looks like a good way to relieve stress and murder people. :kimchi:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Freakbox posted:

Planning on getting this soon, but I have a Dumb question- I've never actually played with other goons on an mmo; how will I find all y'all? Will I just know?

Follow the path of chaos and dead pubbies? I've not played many fps's, but this looks like a good way to relieve stress and murder people. :kimchi:

We operate on the basis of if you aren't in Mumble and making an effort to make yourself known then you're fair game.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Righto- I can do mumble. :3: that's not at all complicated. I'm glad I got new gaming headphones for yule.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I really hope they make metal scrap more common because it's so drat important yet so scarce. Make wrecked cars generate it at set intervals like rabbit traps or something.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

I really hope they make metal scrap more common because it's so drat important yet so scarce. Make wrecked cars generate it at set intervals like rabbit traps or something.

Its funny cause once you get 3-4 pieces you are set for a while. That's enough to make a backpack frame, spear and hatchet with some left over.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Are we taking bets that loot is actually fixed this time?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Free spawning loot was working this morning. No idea about containers yet, was raiding RV's.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers

M2tt posted:

I played 5-6 rounds last night

How does joining a BR match work? I join the server and get down to spot 1-2 within 15min and then get stuck there. Maybe queue times are just super long? I've been stuck on spot 2 for about an hour and a half.

EDIT: Yeah guess i just had to wait, finally got in. Got to final 20 and died to gas.

Rearden fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 27, 2015

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

They've definitely fixed something with loot. I've been finding tons of scrap metal on cars and most containers have something now.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
If loot is fixed, then the next step is clearly fuckloads more random zombies/ roaming zombie hordes/ zombies spawning inside houses/ child zombies/ a ton more zombie models. Among other things, of course!

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Overdrift posted:

They've definitely fixed something with loot. I've been finding tons of scrap metal on cars and most containers have something now.

That's been the case for a few patches now. The problem is with the loot not respawning once its picked up for the first time. After a fresh server restart there is tons of loot all over the place, but then none of it respawns aside from some goggles and water bottles.

To be fair, the devs said a while ago that loot spawning would be very hard to tune so it feels correct. They are trying to put systems in place that read the servers and spawn the more 'needed' type of loot. If you have 200 fresh spawn players with sticks and bows the server is supposed to spawn a higher number of guns and ammo, and then once more and more players get geared up with weapons the server is supposed to tone down the number of gun spawns. It sounds like an interesting system in theory, but a bitch to get working correctly.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 27, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Freakbox posted:

Righto- I can do mumble. :3: that's not at all complicated. I'm glad I got new gaming headphones for yule.

your av owns

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Prophecy120 posted:

That's been the case for a few patches now. The problem is with the loot not respawning once its picked up for the first time. After a fresh server restart there is tons of loot all over the place, but then none of it respawns aside from some goggles and water bottles.

I've been hanging around a campsite and running back and forth between cranberry, the loot is definitely respawning, and there's a lot of it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone wanna get some H1Z1 in today? Message me on Steam @ Verisimilidude.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Smedley I know you and Higby are goons even if you don't regularly read this thread

all I want to say is that if you ban people for duping in your early access game you are legit being dumb lmao, just work on fixing the duping instead of inevitably doing one of your ban waves that catches some innocent people

quote:

@ChrisJoordan @Kalyper doubt it. There's just no need. we have good logs and reports. dupers will be banned. simple as that.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Overdrift posted:

Yep! I hadn't found any scrap metal in ~20+ hours on one server. Now within a few minutes I found a dozen metal scrap and a M1911. It's like a different game,

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Loot will probably be adjusted to the lower side again. Apparently the vocal minority that play this game want a game where you have to search for 24 hours real time to find anything worthwhile.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuicideSnowman posted:

Loot will probably be adjusted to the lower side again. Apparently the vocal minority that play this game want a game where you have to search for 24 hours real time to find anything worthwhile.

the community for these types of games is completely awful

If they find loot, they totally bootstrapped their way up, but if someone else has loot its bullshit that loot is turned up this high or there are dupers

if they kill someone: yea I totally poo poo on this fuckin idiot, if they die: fuckin hackers god drat pieces of poo poo

i get that this is kind of every gaming community, but the zombie mmo community is particularly lovely and dumb

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

SuicideSnowman posted:

instead of fixing the duping, they are playing whack a mole with loot spawn timers. meanwhile i guess a shitload of alt f4 users are going to get banned. :laffo:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty classic SOE right there

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how hard it is to prevent people from doing the alt + f4 thing, like really

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I haven't played the new patch but I know that some people were saying loot was fine BEFORE this patch. If that was considered "fine" I'm not sure this is the type of game for me. I can only run around looking in every container and every building finding empty water bottles for so long before I want to shoot myself in the face.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
they could probs turn down ammo and gun spawn but everything else is perfect. all those nerds on reddit and twitter are idiots.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I wonder how hard it is to prevent people from doing the alt + f4 thing, like really

It's clear this game trusts the client way too much. Speed hacks, teleporting, inventory duping. I can kinda get the inventory duping it's probably a bit more complicated than the others, but the fact that the server is trusting the client as far as where the client is located in the world is a pretty big no no to pretty much anybody developing an online FPS game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuicideSnowman posted:

I haven't played the new patch but I know that some people were saying loot was fine BEFORE this patch. If that was considered "fine" I'm not sure this is the type of game for me. I can only run around looking in every container and every building finding empty water bottles for so long before I want to shoot myself in the face.

I think what they meant is loot is "fine" when the server comes up and you can find stuff by looking through containers and scavenging

but stuff actually just doesn't spawn correctly after that, and only the grognardiest of nerds think its ok

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rearden posted:

How does joining a BR match work? I join the server and get down to spot 1-2 within 15min and then get stuck there. Maybe queue times are just super long? I've been stuck on spot 2 for about an hour and a half.

EDIT: Yeah guess i just had to wait, finally got in. Got to final 20 and died to gas.

I don't bother waiting in queues, basically at that point the game has already started and you're probably waiting for the game to finish before it lets you into the server. I just leave the server select screen staring at Batter/Belgrade and wait for a server to pop up...usually every ~5 min or so, but you'll miss a few. It'll hopefully get better when they add the "Battle Royale" button they're talking about.

That said, played another 6 or so rounds last night and got rewards every time, so whatever was going on there seems to have fixed itself. The only difference seemed to be that I was consistently getting the "Exit Match" button when I died last night, whereas the night before it kept asking me to respawn.

So many maroon trucker hats.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Blazing Zero posted:

they could probs turn down ammo and gun spawn but everything else is perfect. all those nerds on reddit and twitter are idiots.

The thing that always annoys me about these kind of games is that mundane loot seems to be pretty rare. If I'm in the bedroom of a house, the dressers should be full of clothes to turn into rags. Scrap metal should be pretty easy to come by from all kinds of random junk, and things like water bottles should come by the dozens in a dumpster. I understand things like guns and medicine being rarer, but a lot of normal junk should be easy to find in the city. You should be able to gear up yourself as some kind of hobo warrior pretty easily, though I could see running around in mil-spec gear more of an accomplishment. I'd still want to be able to find some sort of gun if I look hard enough though, because, fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

imperialparadox posted:

The thing that always annoys me about these kind of games is that mundane loot seems to be pretty rare. If I'm in the bedroom of a house, the dressers should be full of clothes to turn into rags. Scrap metal should be pretty easy to come by from all kinds of random junk, and things like water bottles should come by the dozens in a dumpster. I understand things like guns and medicine being rarer, but a lot of normal junk should be easy to find in the city. You should be able to gear up yourself as some kind of hobo warrior pretty easily, though I could see running around in mil-spec gear more of an accomplishment. I'd still want to be able to find some sort of gun if I look hard enough though, because, fun.

Agreed

have clothes, scrap metal, etc everywhere

change up the recipes if you have to, no reason not to

why would every armoire in multiple cities just have literally no clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Game takes place in a former nudist/goggle collector colony

• Locked thread