Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

cthulhoo posted:

that was peak linux on the desktop

loving around with fvwm, ah the halcyon days of my youth

also, i just found out that cheapbytes.com is dead. r.i.p. cheapbytes (and walnut creek/cdrom.com, for that matter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

found this in shameful_shit/2003 folder

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cthulhoo posted:

found this in shameful_shit/2003 folder

this is really not all that shameful

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I remember using yakuake and feeling real proud of it

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Symbolic Butt posted:

I thought that was some weird japanese thing.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Windowmaker unironically and ironically owns

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

yakuake is good on a laptop

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I thought that was some weird japanese thing.

Yet Another Quake™ Console

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 26, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

nextstep was a bad unix but the nextstep ui was awesome

osx ruined the dock

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Pimp up your Terminal with Guake and Yakuake

If you're wondering whether Guake and Yakuake are Polynesian happy mushrooms, you're a bit off mark. These are Linux command line terminals, modified to behave like the console in the popular First Person Shooter (FPS) Quake. Hence, the funny names.

Guake and Yakuake are good-looking and fun - and most importantly - they will help you increase your productivity. So start using them, today. Happy Linuxing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i still use yakuake now

the reason it is so good is that it just re-uses the kde term emulator component. so it is the best term emu inside of a more useful UI on a laptop

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osx ruined the dock

i kinda disagree but dock magnification is so jobsian it's loving ridiculous. "oh cool, make everything a non-fixed target that moves even as you do? sweet, ship it"

edit: and its still loving there as an option

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pram posted:

WindowMaker was my wm in the noughts but Gnome was OK enough to use in the past few years.

I'm getting used to Gnome 3 but it's the same attitude I took with Windows 8 - might as well get used to it now, even though the old mechanism is much better.

I'd use WindowMaker more but I need that networkmanager and volume manager integration or else I have to figure out how to do it in the command line and I don't want to touch command line networkmanager until I'm good and ready.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Does anyone else think that the new debian "resolvconf" thing is a bunch of steaming crap? How do you ask it what its current configuration is? I'd be OK with systemd booting it to the curb.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

celeron 300a posted:

I don't want to touch command line networkmanager until I'm good and ready.
oh, is there a cli now? last I checked it was basically GUI only with the response to people who wanted cli being " just use dbus, don't ask us how just rtfm" and then you try to rtfm and whoops it just refers you a web page that's literally useless because the only reason you'd ever want to look at it would be if you couldn't access web pages

and you realise you've been owned by linux again.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

oh, is there a cli now? last I checked it was basically GUI only with the response to people who wanted cli being " just use dbus, don't ask us how just rtfm" and then you try to rtfm and whoops it just refers you a web page that's literally useless because the only reason you'd ever want to look at it would be if you couldn't access web pages

and you realise you've been owned by linux again.

they have fixed up the cli extensively

unfortunately it still provides no way to provide "secrets" so you either have to use a kde/gnome app, or write all your wpa keys/usernames/passwords into config files

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

WindowMaker was my wm in the noughts but Gnome was OK enough to use in the past few years.

I'm getting used to Gnome 3 but it's the same attitude I took with Windows 8 - might as well get used to it now, even though the old mechanism is much better.

I'd use WindowMaker more but I need that networkmanager and volume manager integration or else I have to figure out how to do it in the command line and I don't want to touch command line networkmanager until I'm good and ready.

kde exists and is not a featureless tablet-optimized pile of weird

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I used FVWM for a while :spergin:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It may have been during Arch 0.5ish when you could actually install it without any sort of pain. I don't remember exactly.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
last time i seriously used desktop linux (2003) i was using blackbox and rox-filer lol

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i installed linux for the first time in 7 years and found that my touchpad was not supported and needed a kernel boot parameter to work in ps2 emulation mode

war, war never changes

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde exists and is not a featureless tablet-optimized pile of weird

I've never seriously considered the KDE desktop because of the trillions of additional dependencies and the tendency to duplicate everything that gnome desktop already provides. But this is from using it over a decade ago, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kde/qt is literal garbage and i am deeply surprised its still used/developed

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

celeron 300a posted:

I've never seriously considered the KDE desktop because of the trillions of additional dependencies and the tendency to duplicate everything that gnome desktop already provides. But this is from using it over a decade ago, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

if you decide on or the other but find you'd like just one app with any dependency on the other you need to install so much you'd be as well just installing the whole loving lot anyway. this is especially true if you want the alien app to look anything even vaguely like the environment of your choice. also the font rendering will always be mildly hosed, no matter how hard you sperg out on it. i mean not windows 10 level of hosed where you don't need to do anything for it be broken, but pretty hosed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

trillions of dependencies, taking up a whole 500 megabytes of disk space

i didn't worry about this poo poo on a 9 gb scsi drive, 10+ years ago. i have no idea why cheeto-beards worry about it now

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

pram posted:

same but windows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
though i guess windoiws 10 is taking care of that

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Lysidas posted:

same but windows

The start bar, much like the mcrib, is back.

With a few changes, of course.

Maybe windows 11 will kill it again and replace it with the start screen and windows 12 will bring it back, but with yet another twist, like having it appear on a nearby surface with AR and you have to select your application by pointing at your desk instead of just using the mouse and keyboard like the good old days.

And Gnome will continue to pander to touch screens in 2016 even though the only linux based computers with touchscreens at that time would be smartphones and android tablets.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Do you remember when bluetooth headsets first came out and people seemed to be yelling at no one in particular and you thought they were crazy?

Imagine what the office is gonna look like in 2020 when you need to point to an error in a document but you're looking at the document in google glass or that microsoft thing and you don't have the integration set-up working with your co-worker and the two of you are pointing everywhere in mid-air trying to fix settings and a third party is just "smdh why is everyone crazy"

I guess in google glass you just point your pupils every which way and tap your head, which may or may not be worse, I dunno.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's why we have modern new redesigned offices with private spaces ala Google.

:lol: 79 pages, find your "personal harbour"

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 27, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what are the odds of lunix on the tablet can we have a thread for that

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I used FVWM for a while :spergin:

i used ctwm back in grad school and in a lot of ways it was a better environment than whatever this ubuntu machine work gave me is

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MrMoo posted:

That's why we have modern new redesigned offices with private spaces ala Google.

:lol: 79 pages, find your "personal harbour"

looks like hell

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

celeron 300a posted:

duplicate everything that gnome desktop already provides

Seems like the entire point.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not only is this hideously ugly it was also rly slow

mly

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

qt is good though :confused:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you want to get persnickety about it, kde predates gnome by a considerable measure

gnome chose to (poorly) duplicate some of the services provided by kde

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pram posted:

looks like hell

each "quadrant" has a different colour, each corner is a group meeting space, the centre is group-hug space, it is an over-designed mess; room numbers are not consecutive walking around the floor.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Offices are hell. this design reminds you of that. It encourages you to leave. Go outside. Remain.

mlg3 (much like gnome 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Offices are hell. this design reminds you of that. It encourages you to leave. Go outside. Remain.

mlg3 (much like gnome 3).

this is not a place of honor