Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sagebrush posted:

my grandpa had one of these while i was growing up and it was the first car i ever drove.

1989 ranger short wheelbase 2-door 4wd. the perfect little truck. :3:

seriously just keep making that, it'd be the first new car i ever bought

god help you if it was a stick, the transmission and clutch in those things were evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

god help you if it was a stick, the transmission and clutch in those things were evil

it was

i credit it for my ability to drive a stick in san francisco like it's nbd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they already made the Explorer XUV or wahtever the gently caress it was why are they doing it again

global ranger is a good bit bigger and more expensive than the old explorer platform

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
in tech news delivery just sent out an email reminding everyone to be gracious with their tipping through the storm which is kind of nice :unsmith:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Necc0 posted:

in tech news delivery just sent out an email reminding everyone to be gracious with their tipping through the storm which is kind of nice :unsmith:

meanwhile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/2tqwz6/so_my_company_just_sent_out_this_email_about_the/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NAME
AND
SHAME

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the gym will be closed

well not actually closed but you can't use it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol thats literally illegal

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

then you can get your rear end fired and use all your income as an unemployed person to Sue

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I expect the company to blindly go ahead with this stupid bullshit despite that and some great lawsuits this summer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

then you can get your rear end fired and use all your income as an unemployed person to Sue

just forward the email to the state's AG and local media and watch the fireworks

maybe

probably not

gently caress america

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

NAME
AND
SHAME

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

the gym will be closed

lol @ "no showers for non-executive employees"

literally the scene in $lots_of_movies where the joe schmoe gets promoted and gets the key to the gold-plated marble toilet

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

qirex posted:

the gym will be closed

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't know if you guys get to experience this, but down in Dixie it's a big dick-swingin' thing to just ramp your truck forward over the parking spot block instead of backing out

hahaha that is awesome

also i rented a uhaul truck for a move one time... never again. I was seconds away from complete destruction from the second I left my house until the second i brought it back.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

congress did the same thing during the shutdown, they "closed" the gym in the capitol building but congresspeople could still use it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Phoning It In posted:

that ranger can gently caress right off my dick

get a pre-2011 while you can because they're never coming back

the factory here in saint paul is being torn down. it's very sad. :(

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

my grandpa had one of these while i was growing up and it was the first car i ever drove.

1989 ranger short wheelbase 2-door 4wd. the perfect little truck. :3:

seriously just keep making that, it'd be the first new car i ever bought

i learned to drive a manual transmission in my grandpa's early 90s ford ranger.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

quote:

2Ivan[S] 6 points 2 hours ago

Unfortunately that's not entirely true (see http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...907dcedff66646e). There is an exception for private sector services for the production of commodities.

apparently not

'murica bithc

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

1989 ranger short wheelbase 2-door 4wd.

loving WOULD

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

i learned to drive a manual transmission in my grandpa's early 90s ford ranger.

I learned to drive in my dad's 1983 Chevrolet S-10 with the power steering pump pulled, manual brakes, etc.

at one point I was doing 60mph on the highway and pushed the gearshift into reversal. it let out a massive *BANG*, and coasted to the side of the road.

put it in park, cranked it, and drove off like it was nothing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my dad paid $400 for that truck and drove it for eight years and taught four kids to drive on it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Citizen Tayne posted:

my dad paid $400 for that truck and drove it for eight years and taught four kids to drive on it.

you probably should have taught them to drive in it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

you probably should have taught them to drive in it

pussy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a hot mormon blonde with big bazingas taught me how to drive stick

true story

im beavis

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

also i rented a uhaul truck for a move one time... never again. I was seconds away from complete destruction from the second I left my house until the second i brought it back.

during our last move we rented 2 trucks, it was a big stupid effort and im p. sure i broke a law blowing past a weight checkin. penske was so much better than uhaul, who cancelled my reservation and signed me up for a multi-thousand dollar replacement without bothering to tell me about the swap

but what i really enjoyed about both of them was the information that was present in the rearview and printed on the visible side of the truck in both side mirrors

what information do you want the renter to have available very quickly in an emergency situation? so much so that you'd print it out 5 different places?
height of the vehicle

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JawnV6 posted:

height of the vehicle
oldie but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm a little surprised there's not a tech bubble 1099-type moving service

techies move about every five minutes when they get priced out of apartments

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Why isn't this poo poo being sent to the police or local news stations? They'd have a field day with this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what are they gonna move? a fuckin ipad? some ikea poo poo?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

Why isn't this poo poo being sent to the police or local news stations? They'd have a field day with this.

:patriot:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how many "AREA MAN HASNT MISSED A DAY OF WORK IN 57 YEARS" nose-to-the-grindstone stories is this gonna gently caress up?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7878239/comcast-twc-fcc-merger-letters-politicians-ghostwritten

quote:

Neither Wood nor anyone representing Roswell’s residents wrote his letter to the FCC. Instead, a vice president of external affairs at Comcast authored the missive word for word in Mayor Wood's voice.

crapcastic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

comcast is simply supplying speech to these politicians. green, rectangle-y speech

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

that's like that really ugly subaru

im the jersey plate being driven out to some shithole out west to be posed for a photo shoot

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

computer parts posted:

that's like that really ugly subaru

like a fat girl wearing jodhpurs

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i believe paying cash for day labor is somewhat attractive for employers since they can just say they paid some guy and they dont have to check if they are allowed to work or whatnot.

in the case of moving crews, i think they have a hard enough time finding reliable people, so even if the crews are made up of contractors itll tend to be the same guys.

like, sure maybe someone could code an app that puts out a bid for every 5am moving job, but (im having trouble making a joke here so ill just say it) the people ok with randomly showing up for work on that basis will be on drugs and break and steal things. much better for them to get a few trusty illegal immigrants, and plus there's all the traditional methods of abuse available there already. they already have the leverage to ask people to standby, 'we'll call you if we need you'.

the critical feature of the tech bubble 1099 stuff seems to be the apps, so people go climbing all over each other for the tiniest amount of work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sorry to disappoint, but clearly you haven't heard of the hottest and most creative tech startup in the valley

New couch doesn’t fit in your car? Get Lugg — it’s like Uber for moving stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shouldn't the doj or ftc be concerned agencies, not the fcc? fcc just regulates what services need to provided and how, bell lasted for decades under fcc regulation, it was a doj lawsuit that broke them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny 290 posted:

what are they gonna move? a fuckin ipad? some ikea poo poo?

i'd imagine they'd go for furnished anyway

• Locked thread