Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kekekela posted:

Judo because you can throw one attacker into the other, thus incapacitating both

Holy poo poo dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Novum posted:

Holy poo poo dude

I did this all the time in Streets of Rage.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

VulgarandStupid posted:

I did this all the time in Streets of Rage.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Last time I fought two enemies I had to literally beat the other into submission before I could throw the other guy over a fence.

I need to learn this Judo thing!

Also pretty weird week here, I've seen a lot of late night fights just walking home. The last one at a local bar I use to grab a beer and read the paper while waiting for a bus, two fat assholes were trying to theaten and then fight the doorman over some imagined slight that happened over a year ago - when the guy wasn't even working there :D Assholes did not have a good night. Still, Judo would have rocked.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Crossposting from the grappling thread, BJJ Euro Opens are being livestreamed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEoEAGHlQrw.

Been watching now for a couple hours and have seen some pretty great matches with Galvao etc

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can anyone suggest a Kung Fu/Wing Chun school in NYC? Looking to give someone the gift of violence, and I'm afraid of searching on my own since there are many McDojos in the city.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I would like to know which of the kung fu animal styles is most deadly.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Verisimilidude posted:

Can anyone suggest a Kung Fu/Wing Chun school in NYC? Looking to give someone the gift of violence, and I'm afraid of searching on my own since there are many McDojos in the city.

http://www.williamccchen.com/

The sanshou coach there trains at my sambo club, he's a cool guy and great fighter.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Novum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0gDsL247e8

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Novum posted:

Crab.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Crab Maga

What is it about grappling in TMA's that always has lovely armlocks like the one in the video?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

So I survived my first Judo training camp on Saturday with a sore and bruised body Sunday. At least my recovery time is improving in the year I been doing it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Is there anyone else who does striking and posts here who intentionally leaves his forehand (in my case; left) extended after punches or just otherwise waves it in front to push or confuse opponents with a shorter reach? The basic rule of throwing a punch is immediately returning it to your jawline, but I've found out that intentionally not doing that but using the forehand as an instrument of deflecting punches or pushing someone is quite effective.

As long as you are stronger than the person of course. Against some 240lbs monster you can bet any punch I throw immediately teleports to the from of my face, using the shoterst route possible.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

Is there anyone else who does striking and posts here who intentionally leaves his forehand (in my case; left) extended after punches or just otherwise waves it in front to push or confuse opponents with a shorter reach? The basic rule of throwing a punch is immediately returning it to your jawline, but I've found out that intentionally not doing that but using the forehand as an instrument of deflecting punches or pushing someone is quite effective.

As long as you are stronger than the person of course. Against some 240lbs monster you can bet any punch I throw immediately teleports to the from of my face, using the shoterst route possible.

Jon Jones does this all day, with the occasional eye poke or elbow. Lyoto does it too with some differences.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Now THIS GUY is a martial artist. Crazy! Insane! Didn't check any sources if true though but God drat.

Xguard86 posted:

Jon Jones does this all day, with the occasional eye poke or elbow. Lyoto does it too with some differences.

Now that you mention it yeah. I just do it with boxing gloves right now so I can't eyepoke or grab and pull so well, but the long arm, blocking or pushing, or used to help with hand fighting still deflects a lot of incoming poo poo you don't want to deal with. I'm sure I've seen some legendary boxer also use the lead hand like this on occasion but just can't figure out who it was.

Also very specific situational technique: if you have a guy with more or less the same strength, reach, and skill, or more of either one of those than you have, I wouldn't probably tell anyone to try it and except it to be a huge success. There are boxers 60lbs lighter than me (including women, though they are national champ level) who will laugh at that and just slip the arm and punish my body or jaw because the arm and elbow isn't there to protect them. The investigation continues.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 27, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Jack Slack wrote an article about this and mentioned several boxers who would grab or pull with a lead hand. I just looked but cannot find it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

At my gym we are taught that it depends on range, ie. short range we keep the lead hand tucked but long range we can wave it around like we just don't care

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Ligur posted:

Now THIS GUY is a martial artist. Crazy! Insane! Didn't check any sources if true though but God drat.

As far as I know (from friends who do historical and modern archery) it's legit, though some people were questioning the pull of the bow he uses. Holding arrows in the draw hand makes so much sense that it boggles my mind how people kinda "forgot" how to do it. That's the nature of historical martial arts though.

But seriously. The dude shoots an arrow flying towards him in half with his own arrow.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Verisimilidude posted:

As far as I know (from friends who do historical and modern archery) it's legit, though some people were questioning the pull of the bow he uses. Holding arrows in the draw hand makes so much sense that it boggles my mind how people kinda "forgot" how to do it. That's the nature of historical martial arts though.

A dissenting opinion: http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

But seriously. The dude shoots an arrow flying towards him in half with his own arrow.

People never forgot anything, the guy just never talked to a person who practises mounted archery. The historical archers I know are slightly annoyed at this guy for misrepresenting them all. He just became a really skilful archer all by himself instead working with an existing historical archery group that could've shown him all this supposedly "forgotten" stuff. It's impressive for sure but if you're rich enough to have mounted archery as a hobby then you've been taught to run and jump around shooting targets as fast as you can while holding arrows on your hand.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Having run this "cardio" fitness boxing class for two years, more or less once a week at least, with no technical teaching included (not my choice, and luckily not my only class) with variable bagwork and calisthenics themes I got so bored I gave the group a NARRATIVE to support the bagwork and make it less boring (for me)!

First they attack the bag (opponent) stepping with a jab jab cross, then add a tight left hook. He is on the ropes! Backhand uppercut to exploit the opening given by the hook! Then forehand! Two more! Oh no! He's not dropping, he's like "Pablo" (a Finnish boxer in the early to mid 80s known for his face forward style and never getting dropped; kinda like a 2006 Chris Leben in MMA, name changed), he just growls and starts staggering at you winging punches: step back and counter with a right! He's still coming! Add a stiff jab to hold him off, oh no nothing stops him! And so on up to a 12+ punch combination.

We eventually ended having the mother of the opponent jump into the ring and attack you with a shoe (for those not unaware of the reference this happened) whom you had to hold back with single jabs and blocks and an post-fight party gone awry, as a huge fight erupts between the fighters entourages and finally using these sort of shrimping abs to safely get to the taxi station, after having a too many in post fight celebration.

Happy I wasn't the only one laughing.

Waiting a call from my boss.

That's one very angry archer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

That's one very angry archer.

Yeah it reeks like sour graps but imagine if you dedicated your life to something and some half-truthy video goes viral

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

It's funny how increasingly venomous some people get in the comments.

Enlil Smith posted:

Got anything besides ad hominem attacks, unsupported assertions, and one dubious academic reference? Oh, and by the way, I’m a professional historian and archaeologist, so gently caress you, pal.

Enlil Smith posted:

Interesting to learn that there are just as many pathetic, intellectually substandard, and willfully ignorant cunts in the field of archery as anywhere else, “John Blernt.”

Enlil Smith posted:

Jesus Christ, are all you anti-science, anti-history mouth-breathers in junior high school? “That dumb trained professional archery instructor can’t jump like the all-holy Lars, so he’s just dumb! And totally dumb!”

Time for your beds, little minds.

Enlil Smith posted:

What thin-skinned little ninnies all you amateur archers are! I just want to give you all big hugs because I can tell what deservedly low self esteems you all have.

Calling out self-aggrandizing puffery and historical fabrication is what happens when us professional historians and academics need to put down ignorant little trolls. If you don’t have the tools (aka facts) to fight back, then curl up in a ball, piss yourself, and shut the gently caress up, you child.

Oh :v:

Enlil Smith posted:

Stop attacking my dad’s article. I’m crying now. I hope you are all happy.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What, people get really upset on the internet over things they are interested in? I would never...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFM-xRKbSec

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If the guy in that archery video is a piece of poo poo, I suddenly want to learn archery.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well now I know every judo. Jeez that poo poo was simple what's the big deal?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
If the arrow guy sucks and doesn't know poo poo, but you could still do what he does, and then learned the secret skills of modern (horse) archers too, you could just pull on a cape and become a superhero!

That said I did read a few books on horse archery a decade or two ago, including one from and/or about this East European guy (couldn't find the book even though I tried, it was relatively obscure even back then) who was testing, re-learning, and teaching about the tradition: the rapid fire shooting and hitting several targets while on the move in quick succession wasn't something I had not heard about.

One of the books had pretty terrifying implications of what expert, "Hi, I learned to ride when 5 years old" composite bow horse archers could do to what at the time was regular infantry. Perhaps fighting out of a Cantabrian circle, but worse yet, IIRC what was supposedly a Mongol tactic, a "charging column", wherein a force of horse archers would gallop at the enemy in a rather tight, long, and square or wedge formation.

They would release arrows on the way, then fire directly in front of the enemy (already easily puncturing something like chain mail but further made more effective by the forward charge and close range) and then split; the other half of the force would peel to the left, the other to the right (while the rest of the unit behind them was still shredding the original point of impact!): the archers who peel left and right would rapidly fire a couple of arrows while riding along the enemy formation (like that Danish fake!) and turn back and fire more arrows while riding away behind them until out of range.

After the whole unit was finished with the charge/turn/fire behind maneuver, they would reform and repeat. It was like thousands of high powered, armor piercing projectiles hitting a very narrow section of the front for a couple of seconds, leaving behind terrible carnage (imagine using a Maxim on a front of Zulu's) and *poof* they were out of your range. They would do this time and time again, and you couldn't touch them if you didn't have your own archers of equal lethality and concentrated power, which armies at the time rarely had.

And that was my essay on scary horse archery, a thing I only vaguely remember learning about. But that machine gun arrow charge I remember very well.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 27, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

While we're on the topic, I have always loved this chart.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Except you can't shoot an arrow to the right when you're riding a horse

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

http://www.williamccchen.com/

The sanshou coach there trains at my sambo club, he's a cool guy and great fighter.

You're not the first person to suggest that school! I'm gonna go today and speak with them, see what they're all about.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

While we're on the topic, I have always loved this chart.

Guys. Cain kills Abel. 25% of the population dies. Equivalent to 1.75 billion today.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Competition!

There is an upcoming local one and initially I didn't even consider it because I'm such a newb and really no have strategies or game plans or anything really right now. I get lost often and just don't think I have enough of a foundation to do well in any sort of competition.

However...I've also recently started thinking "gently caress it, why not". I have nothing to lose, no ego to get bruised because I know I suck right now, and it might be good just for the experience, even if I get tapped in my first match after 30 seconds. I also have this occasional fantasy where I'm only 1 of 3 in my weight class and so I get on the podium anyway, but I don't REALLY care about winning.

Is this a...valid line of thinking? I'll of course check with our head instructor, I wouldn't want to do this if he doesn't think it's a good idea for the reasons I stated.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TollTheHounds posted:

Competition!

There is an upcoming local one and initially I didn't even consider it because I'm such a newb and really no have strategies or game plans or anything really right now. I get lost often and just don't think I have enough of a foundation to do well in any sort of competition.

However...I've also recently started thinking "gently caress it, why not". I have nothing to lose, no ego to get bruised because I know I suck right now, and it might be good just for the experience, even if I get tapped in my first match after 30 seconds. I also have this occasional fantasy where I'm only 1 of 3 in my weight class and so I get on the podium anyway, but I don't REALLY care about winning.

Is this a...valid line of thinking? I'll of course check with our head instructor, I wouldn't want to do this if he doesn't think it's a good idea for the reasons I stated.

Just so you know, most competitions don't give medals for last place. If it's a three-man division, there is no bronze.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just so you know, most competitions don't give medals for last place. If it's a three-man division, there is no bronze.

Noted! I was exaggerating - it's really not about getting a medal or a "participation" ribbon or anything in the first place, more about just seeing what the experience is like. I think I'd be happy regardless of how badly I fail, I've just heard of that happening and it would be funny to get some sort of award for being in last place.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

A lot of instructors are happy for beginners to compete asap because you learn a lot and it gets you reps competing which like a whole separate group of skills.

I think it was renzo who said that a big advantage to Brazil the north east and California is that you can compete almost every weekend, and they encourage beginners to do just that because being in peak shape / going for the gold doesn't matter at white belt, but getting very comfortable in competition will set up a strong base for the future.

The limit would be if it's safe for you to get out there, which can only really be answered by you and your coach.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
First pad day of the year for me: we did between 15-20 rounds me hitting the mitts without pause, just chaining loose four or six strike combos and immediately restarting from the beginning.

I can't feel my shoulders or my arms now :(

Also Mongols are cool. Huhu. Huhuhu. Huhu.

FIRE, FIRE!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Rabhadh posted:

Except you can't shoot an arrow to the right when you're riding a horse

Not unless you've learned the forgotten technique of switching the hands you hold the bow with, at least. :ssh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

Competition!

I'd recommend to anyone to try at least one competition.

There are a lot of cool things that come form going to comps as far as helping your training along, but also a bunch in terms of meeting a bunch of cool people and hopefully getting some good exciting matches.

(also, contrary to mecha's experience, most of the lovely local tourneys I've been in will give out silvers in a 2 man division, so your dream could become reality...but you're probably gonna do a lot better than you think anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Work on your takedowns. No one at comps have good takedowns, except wrestlers who may be sand bagging to get in your division. We're talking BJJ, right?

• Locked thread