Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Buried alive posted:

What's the image that's being put forward here? I mean I get a vague sense of middle class, white house wives who turn super patriotic because they married a soldier-boy and then that patriotism leads them down the usual "rah-rah America can do no wrong" road which winds up fighting anything further left than simply not cutting taxes and will generally fight even that and since it's mostly them drat liberals pushing medical care for all and that includes vaccines why then that means they have to fight vaccines as well and..I forgot where I was going with this, but is that about how it looks?

In my experience, it's pretty much the same mindset as every other suburban housewife anti-vaxer with too much free time and internet access, and not enough knowledge of basic ideas like the tragedy of the commons. Their kid is a special snowflake, so they think the chances of their kid ever meeting a kid with a serious disease like malaria or pertussis are practically non-existent. Then they hang out with all the other mothers who also think the same way, then are shocked when nobody else bothered to vaccinate their kids. The fact that their husbands serve in the military doesn't make much difference.

While they might be more socially conservative than an outspoken former nude model who married one of the New Kids on the Block, it comes from the same basic and often forceful ignorance. The concept that some diseases, like autism and schizophrenia, are mostly genetic, and there's not a whole lot you can really do about it is anathema to them.

But they have to rage against the machine, even when the machine extends life.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Vaccinations are good

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not trying to jump down your throat by any means, but that said, I gotta admit, I was talking DSM generally- Caplan, Spitzer, etc. I understand the documents are necessary, and the standard of proof can't be as high for the purposes of developing care standards for mental illness, given the empirical obstacles, but at the same time the field generally needs to develop better institutional barriers to abuse, and recognize that "in the DSM" and "a disorder that we have treatment and procedures for" aren't synonymous with "thing that actually exists".

Yeah and you'll find a lot of these 'institutional barriers' exist with the American Psychiatric Association which looooooves money, amongst other things and this isn't a dig because I'm studying Psychology or anything. This'll basically be the last derail post I make, but in short I agree with you on certain points, but disagree with you on others.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Yeah and you'll find a lot of these 'institutional barriers' exist with the American Psychiatric Association which looooooves money, amongst other things and this isn't a dig because I'm studying Psychology or anything. This'll basically be the last derail post I make, but in short I agree with you on certain points, but disagree with you on others.

Hey, when was the last time you saw somebody self-diagnosed with a Bipolar disorder? That was all the rage back when I was growing up.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

thrakkorzog posted:

Hey, when was the last time you saw somebody self-diagnosed with a Bipolar disorder? That was all the rage back when I was growing up.

Why the gently caress would you self-diagnose as 'Bipolar' for lulz? That's like self-diagnosing as an rear end in a top hat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

Why the gently caress would you self-diagnose as 'Bipolar' for lulz? That's like self-diagnosing as an rear end in a top hat.

I think you mean "quirky and misunderstood".

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
And "not wholly to blame for moody outbursts". It's kind of a "silver linings playbook", if you will.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ratoslov posted:

I know I certainly have weeks when I have more energy and drive, and weeks where I have less, for example, so it's easy to see someone with limited understanding of what the disease actually is imagine that it's just a very mild form of bipolar instead of something that (I assume) everyone experiences to some degree. Just a guess, though.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

thrakkorzog posted:

It got replaced by borderline\assburgers for girls and boys respectively.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
My favorite is "ODD."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Buried alive posted:

What's the image that's being put forward here? I mean I get a vague sense of middle class, white house wives who turn super patriotic because they married a soldier-boy and then that patriotism leads them down the usual "rah-rah America can do no wrong" road which winds up fighting anything further left than simply not cutting taxes and will generally fight even that and since it's mostly them drat liberals pushing medical care for all and that includes vaccines why then that means they have to fight vaccines as well and..I forgot where I was going with this, but is that about how it looks?

Well, here you go...35 stereotypes that military spouses want you to know are NOT TRUE DAMNIT!

http://militaryspouse.com/articles/35-negative-military-spouse-stereotypes/?pageNum=1

(except they kind of are...ok, ok fine. they don't all sell scentsy or Mary Kay...some of them are into Pampered Chef)

And here's a rebuttal by duffleblog (think the onion for military news)

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/10/military-spouses-host-anti-stereotyping-meeting-base-strip-club/

Also, there's a big divide between officer wives and enlisted wives insofar as socioeconomic background. But across the spectrum, you basically have a bunch of people who can't really have careers of their own unless they have something that's portable (for example, my husband is a reservist, so it works out fine for us, but if he were still active duty, passing a new bar every 2-4 years would be a major pain in the dick). Some women really like being stay at home mothers and can adapt better to it. Others get bored and destructive like an unsupervised rottweiller puppy. Too much free time. Too much access to internet to become "experts" in everything. There's also some cultural differences among the service branches. You will see more hardcore 'MURICA out of the Marine community, more Evangelicals in the Air Force etc. etc. Really, it's all rather complex. But I generally find other military wives really loving annoying, and yes, they really do all seem to be into Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, PAmpered Chef or some other bullshit MLM.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ActusRhesus posted:

Really, it's all rather complex. But I generally find other military wives really loving annoying, and yes, they really do all seem to be into Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, PAmpered Chef or some other bullshit MLM.

This isn't limited to the wives. My sister is military and she was hassling me to buy pampered chef. She was also very truth is in the middle and don't trust the government's statistics about diseases and viruses because she knew a guy in place once who said this thing.

Now that she works in the medical industry she is a million times better. I have no clue what the hell they were teaching her in the Air Force. It makes me think there's this uncanny valley of people who start learning to think for themselves so they start "researching" ie - reading blogs. They've got to get over the hump and then learn what information is trust worthy.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Tigntink posted:

Now that she works in the medical industry she is a million times better. I have no clue what the hell they were teaching her in the Air Force. It makes me think there's this uncanny valley of people who start learning to think for themselves so they start "researching" ie - reading blogs. They've got to get over the hump and then learn what information is trust worthy.

The Air Force has a lot of evangelicals and home schoolers. plus more bases in "the heartland." The minor saving grace of the Navy is that navy generally requires water, so most bases are either coastal or overseas. However, there's still enough batshit to go around.

My first run in with a real-live birther was a Navy wife of one of my co-workers. She made me aware of Obama's illegitimate claim to the throne within the first five minutes of meeting her. And yes...she sold Pampered Chef.

And to get back to vacccines, a friend of mine has suddenly gone all "the truth is in the middle" re: vaccines. I don't understand it...she's an intelligent woman. She went to Georgetown. I hope she's just doing it to be contrarian.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 26, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have a good friend about to have her first child who almost got suckered into this poo poo. She's a sweet person but she's kinda naive about poo poo so I guess she got linked some poo poo or whatever and started doing a bunch of facebook 'wow guys did you hear about this girl who got a shot and can only walk backwards now...' kinda poo poo. She wasn't explicitly anti-vax but she was for sure drifting to 'well we just don't know what these things do' stuff, and of course had other friends talking to her about DID YOU KNOW MERCURY IS IN THERE AND BABIES SCREAM AND CRY WHEN THEY GET SHOTS BECAUSE THEY KNOW.

Thankfully she had many more friends going 'what, no, medicine is probably a good thing to give your baby.'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

BABIES SCREAM AND CRY WHEN THEY GET SHOTS BECAUSE THEY KNOW.

I would love to see that logic applied universally :allears:

From a safe distance, at least.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Others get bored and destructive like an unsupervised rottweiller puppy. Too much free time. Too much access to internet to become "experts" in everything. There's also some cultural differences among the service branches. You will see more hardcore 'MURICA out of the Marine community, more Evangelicals in the Air Force etc. etc. Really, it's all rather complex. But I generally find other military wives really loving annoying, and yes, they really do all seem to be into Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, PAmpered Chef or some other bullshit MLM.

I was roommates with a shipmate and his wife, probably one of the worst decisions I've ever made. She wasn't employed and spent all of her free time reading naturalnews and astrology articles. He decided to put her in charge of the budget for some reason but she just smoked pot all day and slowly turned the house into a new-age commune. I'd work for 12-18 hours straight and when I got home she would yell at me for not contributing my psychic energy to "the community." Every time we went underway she'd have new people in the house who weren't paying rent but were somehow contributing to the "healing space."

They were predominately against modern medicine, including vaccinations.

I eventually got out of my lease and do everything in my power to avoid anyone in the new age movement.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 26, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Elderbean posted:

He decided to put her in charge of the budget for some reason...

so many of my more interesting Navy Legal Assistance stories start this way. or "well, we met at...uh...a club...."

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

SedanChair posted:

My favorite is "ODD."

Why, there are many on this very board who suffer from Obsessive-Discursive Disorder.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

ActusRhesus posted:

so many of my more interesting Navy Legal Assistance stories start this way. or "well, we met at...uh...a club...."

How many also involve an explanation of compound interest and/or that a loan is a legally binding contract?

Legal Question:

Service members are required to have vaccinations. Would it be possible for them to opt out for religious reasons?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Alien Arcana posted:

Why, there are many on this very board who suffer from Obsessive-Discursive Disorder.

no there aren't ~

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Laphroaig posted:

Legal Question:
Service members are required to have vaccinations. Would it be possible for them to opt out for religious reasons?

With the caveat that I Am Not a Lawyer, they probably can't opt out. The only sources discussing opting out are, of course, anti-vaccination websites, so while they say there is a religious belief exemption, there probably isn't in this case. Try here for more information.

edit: with additional research, the religious opt-out may be available, but probably only if you make that request before you enter active service. If accurate, this would be an effective bar under almost all circumstances- you'd have to know the policies in advance to opt out. This is far outside my area of knowledge, though- ActusRhesus?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 26, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

With the caveat that I Am Not a Lawyer, they probably can't opt out. The only sources discussing opting out are, of course, anti-vaccination websites, so while they say there is a religious belief exemption, there probably isn't in this case. Try here for more information.

edit: with additional research, the religious opt-out may be available, but probably only if you make that request before you enter active service. This is far outside my area of knowledge, though- ActusRhesus?

Religious Exemption for Vaccines in the DoD is actually pretty rare, IIRC. The Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force can 'override' your exemption to meet the needs of the mission.

ActusRhesus?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Religious Exemption for Vaccines in the DoD is actually pretty rare, IIRC. The Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force can 'override' your exemption to meet the needs of the mission.

ActusRhesus?

If I recall correctly, the military on paper allows religious exemptions if declared before enlistment in theory. However in practice, not being vaccinated would impact your worldwide deployability status and be grounds for an administrative separation. Also, lying about it can be grounds for fraudulent enlistment and refusing to get them if you don't have a documented exemption is grounds for orders violation charges. A coast guard officer challenged the hepatitis vaccine successfully because the vaccine was allegedly derived from aborted fetal tissue, but I am not sure what the aftermath of that was. I imagine the issue doesn't come up often because most religions that are anti medicine are also anti military. And the military frowns upon lying about religion to get special treatment.

So yeah,they can't forcibly vaccinate you, but they can say your religious beliefs are not compatible with the needs of the military and generally DoD gets a lot deference when doing things that would otherwise be unconstitutional.

Edit: they are generally no joke come vaccine time. I recall having to pretty much.threaten physical violence to get out of the "line em up and stick the flu mist up their nose" day. I have no problem getting a flu shot. I have adverse reactions to the live virus nasal mist so I prefer the needle.

Please forgive typos. Using tablet with toddler "helping"

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 27, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ActusRhesus posted:

Please forgive typos. Using tablet with toddler "helping"

I can't believe you let your child use one of those things. Don't you know what's on them?!?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't believe you let your child use one of those things. Don't you know what's on them?!?

Look, after the whole cry it out debate I think we've already established I'm the world's worst parent. Today thanks to the Snowpocalypse I let her help me play mass effect. Tyke's got a knack for.headshots.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Another parent letting screen time take the place of the natural bonding between mother and child.

Edit: Nice to see you have them starting young! :D

Also, I hate it every time I hear some neo-luddite complain about the evils of "screen time". They whine and moan about tvs being left on in the house (regardless of what people are doing while the tv is on), how some people spend 8 or more hours a day looking at a computer screen and how it doesn't matter what you're actually doing, because it's all screen time and it's all as intellectually stimulating as playing nintendo and you're all addicted because you could never go a year without your "screens" (yes, I'd be fired, rear end in a top hat) and on and on and on.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Mass effect is great bonding. Just ask the lawyer thread about my eensy weensy sniper song.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
My four-year-old loves spaceships which makes EVE Online the clear winner for our shared screen time. My wife and I failed at CIO, so we set that parental success bar pretty low.

In other news, it is estimated that the U.S. has now topped 100 cases and a case has been reported in Michigan. Per the CDC's website, there were 68 cases reported as of the 23rd, so I do not know how accurate the triple digit estimate is.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Try kerbal space program. That's a good one for kids.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What's next? Saints Row? LoL?!? Won't someone think of the children????

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

torpedan posted:

My four-year-old loves spaceships which makes EVE Online the clear winner for our shared screen time.

I don't think that's a good idea, your child will either grow up to become a basement dwelling sperglord or a sociopath, or both

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That kid's gonna grow up thinking spreadsheets are toys, that's a hosed up thing to do to a kid.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
But STEM is all the rage! Spreadsheets are a vital tool and I am setting him up for success.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

torpedan posted:

Spreadsheets are a vital tool

As a person with some experience in the wondrous field of data entry, no

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As a person with some experience in the wondrous field of data entry, no

As a person who programs a CRM for a bunch of government sales people, yes

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
I use spreadsheets every day at work ,so it's only natural i involve them in my home life.

The LA reported 87 confirmed cases as a total yesterday so the 100 number might have been some generous rounding. They also reported that 30 infants have been placed under home isolation after possible exposure to measles. Going off that number I would speculate that some own brought and infected kid to a daycare.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ActusRhesus posted:

Mass effect is great bonding. Just ask the lawyer thread about my eensy weensy sniper song.

My son preffers Kerbal and Dishonored.

But he watches Skyrim too and demands dragons.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

torpedan posted:

I use spreadsheets every day at work ,so it's only natural i involve them in my home life.

The LA reported 87 confirmed cases as a total yesterday so the 100 number might have been some generous rounding. They also reported that 30 infants have been placed under home isolation after possible exposure to measles. Going off that number I would speculate that some own brought and infected kid to a daycare.

So glad our daycare is mandatory vaccines

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

torpedan posted:

But STEM is all the rage! Spreadsheets are a vital tool and I am setting him up for success.

Not in most STEM, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was linked a pretty good vaccine infographic page

http://teamvaccine.com/2013/08/16/top-10-vaccine-infographics/

The fourth one is really interesting; it strongly suggests that the side effects that very few people get when they are injected with the HPV vaccine are actually just a response from getting an injection.

• Locked thread