Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone with zeta armor bends know the bolt size off the top of their head for the part that secures the inner portion of the hand guard to the bars?

Big one on the right there. My DRZ ejected one while I was riding... need to replace it and order some loctite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

Anyone with zeta armor bends know the bolt size off the top of their head for the part that secures the inner portion of the hand guard to the bars?

Big one on the right there. My DRZ ejected one while I was riding... need to replace it and order some loctite

I just lost one changing my grips :smith:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Order loctite? Just get a bigass thing of it at home depot/lowes/harbor freight/walmart/target/a local gas station.

If nobody posts a size by the time I get back from work then I'll measure one of mine.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Welp, the tard just quit on my commute to work. No pressure in the kick starter with no decompression lever... I think, perhaps, it needs new valves (keep having to adjust lash for it to make compression).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Welp, the tard just quit on my commute to work. No pressure in the kick starter with no decompression lever... I think, perhaps, it needs new valves (keep having to adjust lash for it to make compression).

......or valve seats, which is a bigger deal

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Marxalot posted:

Order loctite? Just get a bigass thing of it at home depot/lowes/harbor freight/walmart/target/a local gas station.

If nobody posts a size by the time I get back from work then I'll measure one of mine.

I'm good, I found it out... M6 for the smaller one, M8 for the bigger one that goes to the clamp.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Razzled posted:

I'm good, I found it out... M6 for the smaller one, M8 for the bigger one that goes to the clamp.

Should be M8 x 1.25 and M6 x 1.00. You can always steal the one out of the opposite side to match the bolt.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Anyone know of some good street-use brake pads for a DRZ? I'm using some lovely bikemasters right now. They work, but they fade quick and have very little bite.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

Anyone know of some good street-use brake pads for a DRZ? I'm using some lovely bikemasters right now. They work, but they fade quick and have very little bite.

Ebc mx pads. The DRZ uses the same pads as the yz450, rmz, kx, etc. so it has plenty of pad options.

The ebc mx's give up some initial bite for better braking force out to max braking force. The stock pads bite hard and are pretty wooden through the rest of the travel.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone know what the gently caress that big hose fitting (#87) on the FCR 39 that KTM used on the 525 is for? The KTM part number is 59031040300. According to some cursory googling it might be some weird crank case vent connector and can be interchanged with #85 which is a plug. My roommate put an FCR 39 on the XR500 he's building and he's trying to figure out if it's important or not.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 20, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a vacuum nipple? Whatever it is its unique to the ktm version

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well, it's also on the OEM FCR 39 variant used on the Polaris Outlaw, which is how he got a $100 carb. Based on that fiche it seems to me it can either be plugged or run to the appropriate vent. The passage leads into the carb mouth upstream of the slide plate.

It's actually a pretty large 10mm brass nipple with a barb for a hose.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Hot start port?

edit: Nevermind, that's the wrong side of the carb. The fiche calls #87 HOSE CONNECTOR KEIHIN, but it seems you already know that. I'll try to get a pic of one, but it probably won't be until the end of the week. Probably just a breather/emissions stuff. I think it may be a weird breather tube that combines into the crankcase breather via a "T" joint.

velocross fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Any of you guys ever see one of these? Thought it was funny to see show up at my local dealer.

2006 Honda XR400M - "Japanese Domestic Market XR400 Supermoto"

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That looks like a fantastic way to wake up every day of your life wishing you'd bought a DRZ. How heavy is it? Somehow that frame is paper thin but the engine is pretty beefy looking.

e: 320lbs from my google-fu. I guess that's not so bad. Probably way down on power compared to a DRZ though. I'd skip it for sure, especially at that insane price.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 26, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I didn't even know those existed. It's like an aircooled honda DRZ with even less power for more money :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

That looks like a fantastic way to wake up every day of your life wishing you'd bought a DRZ. How heavy is it? Somehow that frame is paper thin but the engine is pretty beefy looking.

e: 320lbs from my google-fu. I guess that's not so bad. Probably way down on power compared to a DRZ though. I'd skip it for sure, especially at that insane price.

That's odd. Maybe next time make sure the bike is turned on first.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Chichevache posted:

That's odd. Maybe next time make sure the bike is turned on first.

What? You think this air cooled 1983 400 makes more than a DRZ or..?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

What? You think this air cooled 1983 400 makes more than a DRZ or..?

I'm joking that the DRZ is so anemic that the only way anything could be less powerful was if it wasn't turned on. I'm frustrated by my inability to hit triple digits. :sigh:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Plenty of ways to fix that up. FCR, exhaust, big bore, cams, etc. Blow as much money as you feel appropriate.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Plenty of ways to fix that up. FCR, exhaust, big bore, cams, etc. Blow as much money as you feel appropriate.

I'm hesitant about any conversions atm. It is my only vehicle and I ride it pretty much daily.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

At the end of all that, you should have bought a 690. You can bore all you want, but you can never get a 6th gear.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Spiffness posted:

You can bore all you want, but you can never get a 6th gear.

Or the self respect back that you lose from riding a Suzuki :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

At the end of all that, you should have bought a 690. You can bore all you want, but you can never get a 6th gear.

I went through this whole song and dance with DRZs, bore kits, and bullshit, and yeah, this is pretty much the reality. The only question is how much money you spend before you realize.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty happy with my FCR'd/Yosh'd DRZ. I live in the city, so it's not like I need a 6th gear for anything.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Akion posted:

I'm pretty happy with my FCR'd/Yosh'd DRZ. I live in the city, so it's not like I need a 6th gear for anything.

Don't ever ride anything more powerful or this feeling can never return.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

What can I do to solve my speed problem? :unsmigghh:

And yeah, bore kits and what not seem ridiculous to me. I'm considering a bigger carb at most, when I need more power I need a new bike.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I rode a WR450. It was nice but not "$3500 more" nice.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

dreesemonkey posted:

Any of you guys ever see one of these? Thought it was funny to see show up at my local dealer.

2006 Honda XR400M - "Japanese Domestic Market XR400 Supermoto"

A couple of my friends use these for ADV bikes after adding bigger tanks and luggage racks. A little less powerful than the DRZ but seriously tough little motorcycles and very easy to work on. Never seen a SM version that wasn't a converted enduro though, interesting.

EDIT: This page has a stats comparison between DRZ / XR
http://rideexpeditions.com/honda-xr-400-vs-suzuki-drz-400-which-is-better/

Pretty much identical.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

What can I do to solve my speed problem? :unsmigghh:

And yeah, bore kits and what not seem ridiculous to me. I'm considering a bigger carb at most, when I need more power I need a new bike.

Ride something that's not a supermoto? None of them are actually fast, they're just varying degrees of quick.

Also lol at missing the point of a supermoto completely by wanting to go 100mph

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ride something that's not a supermoto? None of them are actually fast, they're just varying degrees of quick.

Also lol at missing the point of a supermoto completely by wanting to go 100mph

Just because I ride a super moto doesn't mean I can't want to go 100+. I bought it specifically so I couldn't do it. It was an informed purchase.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

EDIT: This page has a stats comparison between DRZ / XR
http://rideexpeditions.com/honda-xr-400-vs-suzuki-drz-400-which-is-better/

Pretty much identical.

It's worth noting that's comparing them from an enduro perspective and the suspension on the S, E and K DRZ models isn't the same as the SM, which has better, (albeit comically mismatched front-rear) suspension than the XR.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Just because I ride a super moto doesn't mean I can't want to go 100+. I bought it specifically so I couldn't do it. It was an informed purchase.

You should be able to hit 100 on a 690, I remember my 690SM making about 150km/h but it got a little light at that speed too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ya around 120 would be the theoretical top speed if you had enough space. Takes awhile to get much over 105 though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

In my experience you'll stop wanting to do >100mph when you actually try to ride a sumo that fast and realize it's kind of unnerving to be wringing a bike out that far.. Maybe it was just me though.

Note the above is absolutely not true on the track and you'll be pissed that you're easily railing corners and then parking it on the straights. You'll forget about that by the time the next corner arrives though.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Unless you ride it on the interstate every day or something stupid just gear it down.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I took my DRZ to the gas station yesterday because it was above 45 and the gas was from October or something. I loving love that bike. It started up after sitting at least a month (I know, I'm neglectful) and ran perfectly. And it's only two or three blocks but the ride was still the most fun thing I've done all winter.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
If any of you goons wants a really nice KTM 530 exc in the Seattle area, check out the CA classifieds.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
So I just relocated to Denver and am shopping dual sports because I have a weird wanna-be outdoorsman fantasy of riding cool places offroad. Not really interested in jumps and fast riding, but I would like a small bike for learning offroad skills.

I've been shopping for WR250r and WR250xs. 6 speeds, fuel injection, and modern looks and tech interest me. The bike is also fairly small and light. A guy offered me this one for 3600

Its mostly stock with the bag, power socket, and 6k miles. Can't really see the rear tire wear much from pics.

His garage looks like it is in good order, though. You can tell a lot about a man by his garage.

What's the goon consensus on if its a good deal? Also, will this bike be reasonably capable offroad with more dual sporty tires?

*edited because I am dumb

TEASE MY NECKBEARD fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's reasonable, yeah - the bikes are pretty uncommon so price can vary heavily, but that seems like a decent midpoint.

You'll be fine on it doing reasonable offroading stuff (ie, no mud or poo poo like that). You can also just get a set of dirt rims and swap them on if you want the full dirt experience.

• Locked thread