Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That just reminds me of my long term comedy plan of building a drift Blazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Fucknag posted:

That just reminds me of my long term comedy plan of building a drift Blazer.

Do it with a 2 door, late 90's / early 2000's model so I can live vicariously through you :allears:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

T1g4h posted:

Do it with a 2 door, late 90's / early 2000's model so I can live vicariously through you :allears:

This is probably a good idea. You don't need to roll any more vehicles off a mountain. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SRT Caravan to troll autocrosses. Like the one on youtube that does the best burnout I've ever seen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

SRT Caravan to troll autocrosses. Like the one on youtube that does the best burnout I've ever seen.

You mentioned it, it must be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgk_6QMjVdQ

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

I'd love to see him dump the clutch on a gixxer like he does when driving his car

I would pay to watch this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Yeeeeeeessssssss

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Extra posted:

Results from the stock AWD class at the rallyx, first and last column are times in seconds. A bunch of japanese cars got spanked by an S10 driver because spoilers the driver is the most important part of a car not an idiotic fetish for hanzo steel folded 1000 times.

Also a Ford R2 Fiesta was 4th overall in rally of the tall pines 2014. Maybe brute statistics will somehow prove to yon sperglord or some other weeb domestic vehicles are quite capable. Though we are talking to someone who generalizes vehicles based on location of the brand.

The autocrosses here were dominated for a long time by a guy in a stock Dodge Omni GLH-S.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Fucknag posted:

related videos save the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOVYcqZgJEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5P2hAU1PY

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Fucknag posted:

That fuckin spool.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
When this thread was in it's early stages, I felt sympathy for you, as a fellow person who ended up getting way over their loving head on a crazy project that was beyond their skill set. Well, my project is a lot more ambitious than just loving changing some goddamn battery cables, and I'm sane enough to have gotten a daily driver when I realized how loving insane I was (and losing all my project money for a while in the process). You're the worst kind of car forum poster, and I eagerly await when your pretentious, rehashed monologues from a shittier alternate universe version of Initial D end up motivating you to kill yourself by smashing your rusty shitbucket of a car into a tree. Just please don't take anyone else with you, you utterly incompetent man with awful pants.

Edit: After rereading this, I realized that I seem way too goddamn pissed off at this. I just read like fifteen pages of this thread in one sitting, and... jesus. Not good for my sanity in large doses.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

The autocrosses here were dominated for a long time by a guy in a stock Dodge Omni GLH-S.

loving Omni's are a blast. I never did experience the GLH models, but my buddy had one in high school and it was an absolute blast to hoon around in.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I had a GLH that I found on Craigslist for $800. Ended up selling it because my dad was tired of it always taking up his garage while I was at college. Regret it every god drat day.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
From what I know, they were pretty tunable. Nothing exciting, but it was a fairly lightweight car.

I have always wanted a Spirit R/T, the Turbo 3 was a kick rear end motor.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

BrokenKnucklez posted:

loving Omni's are a blast. I never did experience the GLH models, but my buddy had one in high school and it was an absolute blast to hoon around in.

I test drove one a few years ago and it blew the turbo on the test drive. It was a pretty awesome 15 minutes.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
You know I started out as someone who thought you got a lot of "AI smarmyness" from people who forgot that we all used to know nothing about cars. I also even sympathized with your 80s jap car fanboyism. gently caress man I own a wrx now mostly because of fanboyness when I was a broke college student made me really want to make it happen when I had money. All my highschool projects were things that i got in way over my head in and I learned alot from loving things up.

After that rant however, I think you might need to see the VA about some help. Also if your cheif was shouting at you about LIFE ADVICE chances are you needed it. Also from experience, E1s are generally in need of some life pro tips. I think a mod challenge would be awesome. Please do it IOC.

Also quit drinking.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Whatcha need is a car that runs pretty well. You want to be happy with the thing at least 90% of the time. When something breaks, THEN you have a project that will teach you something about auto repair. While it's running well you get to do the fun stuff, like replacing the stereo and speakers, doing fluid changes, adding that little cigarette lighter with the pot leaf that lights up, etc.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

Also quit drinking.

Quit suggesting such blasphemy. His most recent posts are intelligent, refreshing, and thought-provoking.

I just caught up on this thread and as a proud owner of a 1992 240sx SE 5speed coupe in my parents back yard with tires rotting into the ground, OP, I beg you, live the nippon dream . (i'm poor ok?)

Just kidding sell this loving thing while you might still get out from under it because you're lazy and unwilling to take on the most basic responsibilities of car maintenance. You don't even need a car right now and you need to do a little bit of personal development before you own a beater in my honest opinion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A 240SX with the horrible truck engine also would have been a better choice. As for the OP in general, it's hard to believe people like him exist, unless this is an elaborate ruse by sigtrap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What you say:

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I dunno if this'll make much sense because I'm about halfway into a bottle of scotch or not, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

It's about the American Dream. The idea that a young man can take a lovely-rear end car from far before he was born and turn it into something awesome, that driving fast isn't a sin, but an expression of that underlying heart and desire to do something worthwhile, to burn at the max capacity, that truly defines a person, rather than their willingness to just settle for second best or to just do the safe option.

I'm tired of doing the safe option, I'm tired of being the responsible young adult making all the safe and society-accepted choices as to the car I drive and how I drive it. I had enough of that poo poo in the Navy, every single day I was told, "DON'T DO THIS OR ELSE YOUR LIFE WILL FALL APART". I want to go fast. I want to swing around corners like a madman, and I want people to question my sanity every time I get into my car. I want to run at full power until I can't anymore, and then, maybe then, I'll get the car that's the safe option. Then, I'll get the lovely Honda Civic or other such option that lies in my future. For now, I want to make decisions that won't affect me too greatly in the future, because goddammit, now is the time to make them, rather than 10 years down the line when I have a family at stake, and I won't be able to make them.

Now's the time, or else I'm not gonna be able to anymore.

What you do: :effort:

There is a disconnect here. A very large one.

... that's just hail damage on the subframe rails, right? You should make some LED interior lights for this sweet machine. :haw:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

kastein posted:

... that's just hail damage on the subframe rails, right? You should make some LED interior lights for this sweet machine. :haw:

oof.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

AcidRonin posted:

people who forgot that we all used to know nothing about cars.

I started reading C&D and R&T around age 8 and helped do my first engine swap (moving a 16v engine from a rusted out Scirocco to a cleaner one) as a freshman in high school and my first car was a second gen Camaro I did a bunch of body and interior work on myself so I have no idea what you're talking about. :colbert:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yeah you still don't know what the gently caress you're talking about

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I didn't know how to change my own oil in 2006 when I registered this account

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Quite honestly, a lot of people have the wrong idea, and lemme clear this up.

Euphoria is experienced most firmly at the state of a curve at 80+mph and you don't know if you're gonna end up at the end of the turn safe or not.

The Foxbody Mustangs are neat, and lemme make this clear, very very neat, but I dunno how they handle on a high speed curve without for sure spinning out and killing me.

As much as you might recommend me a nice neat Honda Civic or a Saturn Shitbody (I dunno), I really don't want any of those. I want something that is a bad decision that I can drive like a madman and swing around corners, because I know for a fact that the next 20+ years of my life is gonna be a miserable experience of marriage, dealing with it, and loving about with silly cars whose handling I am going to hate and am going to wish was better just for the sake of getting around a corner at 60+mph. I know what I am getting into, because I expect having a silly car project for the rest of my life. Because if I accepted anything else, I'd be selling myself short. I know that I can handle getting a solid car up and running around spring time, and if any of you have any doubts as to that, shove it up your drat arse.

I want a bad decision now so I don't make one later when I want to go fast and I don't know how much work goes into it.
You went full retard. Never go full retard

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

It's about the American Dream. The idea that a young man can take a lovely-rear end car from far before he was born and turn it into something awesome

The Foxbody Mustangs are neat, and lemme make this clear, very very neat, but

What? Does not compute.

Instead of trolling or making fun of you I'm going to take a second and point out how the mustang is exactly the car you should be buying. Rather than seeing it as a car that goes fast in a straight line and handles like poo poo, you should see it as a car that's fast enough for your needs from the gate without a turbo you could never hope to properly maintain & can be cheaply modified to handle as well as all the 80's weaboo boxes you think you want to own but probably couldn't handle ownership of. Mustangs are dead simple and most of the modifications you would want to make (subframe reinforcements, chassis stiffening, suspension) are the kind of thing you'd pay a shop to do for you anyways so it's not like your lack of car knowledge is holding you back from your redneck mustang american dream. Plus when you inevitably slam it into a wall taking a corner at 60 on a public road (don't do this,) it's not like it would be a huge loss, it's just another mustang. And it probably won't kill you, a lot of the cars you're looking at don't have airbags or basic safety equipment.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 26, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My dad bought an '84 Corvette, it was a basket case. Once he got it running pretty well and wearing a nice new shiny red paint job, he spun into a wall on a wet freeway on-ramp. With the insurance payout he bought an '85 corvette, it was also a basket case. Once he got it up to snuff, kind of, it got totaled by an old lady that didn't see it (this one was gold, harder to see apparently). I thought we'd have a pretty sweet Corvette in about 20 years if the cycle continued, but he quit after two.

Whatever you do in the future, never buy a dirt cheap corvette.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
The mod challenge should be a NIPPON SUPER DORIFTO DUCK TAPE BATTLE.

The judges will be your local dope feinds.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

HEY VAPER posted:

What? Does not compute.

Dude you put way too much effort into this post.

HE CAN'T GRASP CLUTCHING. how the gently caress is he going to understand the driving dynamics between an asian car and something built stateside?

A halfass good driver could hand him his rear end with a lima powered mustang or even a 302 (nonHO) continental.

E: Fwiw: I've owned two fox based vehicles. I'm not biased by any means.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

cursedshitbox posted:

Dude you put way too much effort into this post.

HE CAN'T GRASP CLUTCHING. how the gently caress is he going to understand the driving dynamics between an asian car and something built stateside?

A halfass good driver could hand him his rear end with a lima powered mustang or even a 302 (nonHO) continental.

E: Fwiw: I've owned two fox based vehicles. I'm not biased by any means.

I don't expect him to understand the differences in driving dynamics, I was just trying to get the point across that he shouldn't write off the mustang because of the common but incorrect notion that mustangs are only good for driving in a straight line. I think its the perfect fit for him: naturally aspirated, simple as poo poo, fun, and dirt cheap parts.

There's only one way to learn clutching, and that's repetition. If a manual car is his only way of getting around, he will learn eventually. Ok sure you guys have me on the whole "he can't even change a battery cable without an internet person showing up at his house and forcing him to do it" but you could say the same thing about the majority of mustang owners and they're all doing fine because mustangs are simple as poo poo. If he can manage to gently caress up a v8 mustang he's not going to be any better off in an appliance car, so the only valid alternative is to suggest OP doesn't own a car. He obviously doesn't care about fuel economy and a 90's camry would be arguably just-as-if-not-more expensive to maintain than a 90s mustang.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 27, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bear in mind, we've told him repeatedly of ways to help learn how to get the feel for the clutch, and all for nothing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Bear in mind, we've told him repeatedly of ways to help learn how to get the feel for the clutch, and all for nothing.

If nobody had actually met him I'd be positive he was a parachute.

But then, I know quite a few guys like this in the navy. He's a stereotype that gets bounced out for good reason.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

I was loving terrible when I bought my first manual car despite reading everything I could on the internet, taking it to 5th without accelerating, etc. A few months and many embarrassing hill stalls later it became second nature. There really isn't any substitute for muscle memory.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Just so everyone knows our words of wisdom are still doing gently caress ALL. He just sent me this in a PM

"gently caress yes, someone said they're really interested in buying it, came out, drove it, and was pretty drat impressed by it.

AND HE DIDN'T NOTICE THE RUST."

WTF......he is the opitomy of a PO :psyboom:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
As long as he doesn't lie about the condition, I wouldn't feel bad about him simply not disclosing it. Someone will end up holding the bag for it, at some point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Eh, you can't blame SF for not seeing the rust his PO didn't tell him about, and then moan about him not telling his buyer when they didn't spot it. Right or wrong on either side, you have to be consistent.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

SouthsideSaint posted:

Just so everyone knows our words of wisdom are still doing gently caress ALL. He just sent me this in a PM

"gently caress yes, someone said they're really interested in buying it, came out, drove it, and was pretty drat impressed by it.

AND HE DIDN'T NOTICE THE RUST."

WTF......he is the opitomy of a PO :psyboom:

You just described literally every single human being who has ever sold a used car and you're expecting us to get outraged? It's up to the buyer to evaluate what they're buying.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, no, that's just getting upset that he's selling a used car in Chicago. I'm literally not surprised that this is happening because, well, Sperg didn't check for rust when he bought the drat thing so he's just playing the part of the guy that sold him the car in the first place.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 27, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

I dunno if this'll make much sense because I'm about halfway into a bottle of scotch or not, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

It's about the American Dream. The idea that a young man can take a lovely-rear end car from far before he was born and turn it into something awesome, that driving fast isn't a sin, but an expression of that underlying heart and desire to do something worthwhile, to burn at the max capacity, that truly defines a person, rather than their willingness to just settle for second best or to just do the safe option.

Now's the time, or else I'm not gonna be able to anymore.

But you cant make it awsome dude, you cant even swap battery cables. Working on cars is not hard, but you have to learn it. If you have a mechanical incling you can do a lot with some youtube, a service manual and a sixpack of beer. But if you are completly without skill or experiance, your are much better of with a simple, well running machine that you can hone your skills on by doing the preventative maintenance and finally, when you have hosed up the clutch you can try to replace it before having it towed to a garage to do i for you.If you get a RX7 or 928 it will end up as my left testicle; cold,alone,ridden with cancer and removed

and by the way, shouldent you be spending money on moving out from your moms place rather then buying sweet JDM specials?

I dont intend to sound mean, but im kinda a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

fjelltorsk posted:

and by the way, shouldent you be spending money on moving out from your moms place rather then buying sweet JDM specials?

I dont intend to sound mean, but im kinda a dick

Counterpoint: living at moms house with minimal expenses is the ideal time and place to own a sweet JDM ricerocket.

• Locked thread