Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
You mean twitch? Or Hulu? I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Fisticuffs posted:

I have an idea to put together a streaming platform accessible by mobile and standard computing devices but I have no idea where to start as I am not technologically gifted. But I want to do this and it is pretty much all I've been thinking about for the last two weeks or so... but I have no idea where to start... any advice? I know that's vague but the idea is pretty simple I just don't think anyone is doing it right now.
Your idea would have to be a mind blowing revelation, because pretty much every kind of data can be streamed over the internet already.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Your idea would have to be a mind blowing revelation, because pretty much every kind of data can be streamed over the internet already.

It's not a revelation in terms of the technology at least. And data streaming is already really popular as you said. Basically the distinction is the delivery model and the businesses that I'd target to get onto the platform. I think I'd be approaching the market in a somewhat novel fashion and probably approaching some vendors that have not been courted or at least in this fashion.

E: tbh if someone could point me towards something where I could learn how to set up something similar to ESPN3 I would appreciate it. I think if I understood well enough how that functioned I could modify it*

*Pay someone else to build it for me most likely

Fisticuffs fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 29, 2014

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Fisticuffs posted:

It's not a revelation in terms of the technology at least. And data streaming is already really popular as you said. Basically the distinction is the delivery model and the businesses that I'd target to get onto the platform. I think I'd be approaching the market in a somewhat novel fashion and probably approaching some vendors that have not been courted or at least in this fashion.

E: tbh if someone could point me towards something where I could learn how to set up something similar to ESPN3 I would appreciate it. I think if I understood well enough how that functioned I could modify it*

You need to first identify what you yourself are able to accomplish. If you are not technical and cannot build a prototype yourself, begin with writing out the idea and business plan first. If you are really serious about it, writing a 5-10 page plan won't be that hard. Google business plan examples to get an idea. Once you have something written out, show it to people and get their feedback. Ask someone who is in the industry to look at it and see what they think. You need people to poke holes in your idea to make sure it will hold up. If you can convince others the idea is good, then the next step will be to convince a technical cofounder to join you and help build the prototype.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
I've written business plans before(I'm actually involved with another project that is self-funded but we may seek investors eventually) so I should've thought of that. This project will cost waaaaaay more at every stage so yeah I need to get on that. Thank you.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fisticuffs posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_video_platform

Unless you have a shitload of money in the pipeline, I'd suggest looking for a different idea. It's a very expensive space to get into these days.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
And by more money you mean multiple millions of dollars? Not possible without internal tech

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Fisticuffs posted:

If your primary differentiation is business model/sales then I would not recommend building tech from scratch; it is seriously non-trivial. Instead look into paying for a platform like Ustream and then get some quick proof points that your novel idea is legit

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson
I'm in the midst of starting up a home bakery, under the WA state Cottage Food Law. I applied for a sole proprietorship license, but I'm wondering if I should have gone LLC. My thinking is that SP is less expensive, and the Cottage Food permit is over $200. I'll see if I get any sort of success, then I can convert to LLC. I read that it's best to do that at the beginning of the year to avoid weird tax issues.

Anyone else in WA who has successfully navigated the Cottage Food laws? Any other bakery entrepreneurs with advice? Anyone want to affirm my fears that I am insane because there are 40845689 bakeries and what if I fail?

I'm planning to use gofundme to get the monies for the permit application/health inspection/some new equipment. Luckily I don't need much since I've been baking and building up my collection of baking paraphernalia for a couple years now. I figure I will offer some basic rewards for various donation levels, like Kickstarter... a voucher for a dozen free cookies, reusable grocery bags (required in Seattle) with my logo (still in design stages)... any other ideas/advice?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Knowing nothing about your business, WA laws, or the food business in general, I'd imagine that selling things that people put into their mouths probably necessitates at least some liability protection.

Do you have any assets or anything else someone might be able to get from you in a lawsuit? If so, go LLC.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Knowing nothing about your business, WA laws, or the food business in general, I'd imagine that selling things that people put into their mouths probably necessitates at least some liability protection.

Do you have any assets or anything else someone might be able to get from you in a lawsuit? If so, go LLC.

The limited liability from LLCs is about financial liability. It means that the owners are not personally liable for any of the debts of the company, other than the value of their investment in the company (which is where the "limited" comes from).

The liability protection you are referring to is usually acquired via insurance.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

baxxy posted:

I'm in the midst of starting up a home bakery, under the WA state Cottage Food Law. I applied for a sole proprietorship license, but I'm wondering if I should have gone LLC. My thinking is that SP is less expensive, and the Cottage Food permit is over $200. I'll see if I get any sort of success, then I can convert to LLC. I read that it's best to do that at the beginning of the year to avoid weird tax issues.

Anyone else in WA who has successfully navigated the Cottage Food laws? Any other bakery entrepreneurs with advice? Anyone want to affirm my fears that I am insane because there are 40845689 bakeries and what if I fail?

I'm planning to use gofundme to get the monies for the permit application/health inspection/some new equipment. Luckily I don't need much since I've been baking and building up my collection of baking paraphernalia for a couple years now. I figure I will offer some basic rewards for various donation levels, like Kickstarter... a voucher for a dozen free cookies, reusable grocery bags (required in Seattle) with my logo (still in design stages)... any other ideas/advice?

If you are going to be operating under the cottage industry law then there's really no need for an llc. If you are worried about product liability then FLIP is an excellent program and I think it's available in all 50 states. The only piece of advice I have is know your food and time costs backwards and forwards.

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001

The most sensible thing to do would be launch the startup now as cheaply as you can and then quit your day job once you're making "enough" money at the startup.

This is exactly what my short term goal is. I want to start a b2b sales platform that has live inventory updates , where one company can view the others in real time and buy or sell inventory to each other, the users would also be the ones udating inventory and prices .I would either charge a subscription for providing the service, or take a percentage on each transaction as they happen or maybe a mixture of both.

Ive worked for many of the big players in my industry, which is located in the biggest market for the industry .The system that exists now is all stressful paper work and last minute phone calls, the biggest competitor is an old fashioned paper process.

Now i have a good number of contacts spread over many companies, and with a little foot work i would be able to sign on a good number of managers who would be relieved of the stress. The problem is I have no idea how or where to begin the website development process especially on a shoe string budget. I started teaching my self rails a few weeks ago, and I don't think I'm at the point where I could build it. Any suggestions?

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

Leroy Diplowski posted:

If you are going to be operating under the cottage industry law then there's really no need for an llc. If you are worried about product liability then FLIP is an excellent program and I think it's available in all 50 states. The only piece of advice I have is know your food and time costs backwards and forwards.

Thanks, I will definitely look into FLIP. At this point I feel like I won't have all my permits and such until 2015 (I still need the city license, and the cottage food permit can take weeks to process), but since I already have the state business license I think that means I need to file taxes anyway. I suppose I can just file that I didn't make any money yet, right? I mean, technically I'm a business with the state, but I'm not an operating business yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Danger Slut posted:

and I don't think I'm at the point where I could build it. Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jv47_VIBOQ

Build a wordpress site, come up with business plan, and solicit bored techies. With a prototype, you can solicit investment to build the drat thing.

What you need to know is how much $ and time you'll need. There are no shortcuts for research.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Hi again thread! Just wanted to report on progress, get advice, and maybe connections??

As a refresher I'm doing https://www.nanaya.co . Romantic decision analysis for people like us.

So thing have been interesting in the past few months. I've definitely refined my business plan quite a bit. In general, the concept of 'end-user decision analysis' is novel: building a free webapp for everyone that can help make life decisions. Freeish, I guess. I'll give away high level results (see webpage for some, I gotta redo the copy a bit soon) but we'll sell premium reports. I'm planning other products as well.

The change now is that it's a platform for capturing data that no one else can get from consumers. What they want out of their lives as reported by them (e.g. where people want to live, settle down, how they are planning kids, etc). Across more products, a lot more value in the data set. In essence it constrains forecast errors on existing big data analytics if you get the stats right (which is a matter of doing). It's also a good way to do targeted market analysis (I know who is taking my test and can feed extra questions somewhat unobtrusively).

I've won a few pitch competitions in town and we're finalists for a $50k competition hosted by my uni (I put little weight in that). I've mentioned I have advisors in town now.

Big problem is that this town, St Louis, has no one else in big data that's in a position to help. My advisors don't know anyone else. Companies are privately held, it's still relatively new, so I have major risks when it comes to selling a B2B product once I even have the data for it. Funding is still hard because I haven't launched and have 0 metrics on the B2C side which generates value for me.

But launch is around the corner. I'm following what OKC did for Spark. We'll be doing personality testing for a bit to get metrics thanks to our partner's at Traitify. I did a video of me dancing with my cat who later uses Nanaya to decide to come back to me, I will be writing an academic paper on the process (my patent attny will review it before I put it on arxiv), and I'll be getting a PR firm. I want around 10k people to go through and take the personality test(s) by end of January which should give me enough for an MVP. As I build that 10k users, I'll be doing OKC-like blog posts. I've already started going over some math and psych behind relationships: blog.nanaya.co

I'm pretty proud to say development side, everything has been pretty much nailed on the schedule.

So now I'm in a bit of limbo as far as how far my money will go. I should be ok unless it's a viral success (which would be a blessing anyway).

My two big goals are:
-finding people who are simply connected to the big data world that can help me form partnerships, find customers, and investment.
-after launch, I'll need to do everything in my power to drive up people taking a personality test. I'll be pushing my own network and doing the above - but I don't know what suggestions people here may have.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

So many words. So very many words. If you would cut the word count on the landing page down to about 10% of what's there now, that would help a lot. I think the most valuable graphic is the "LoveCast" - that actually conveys things in the most appealing way. Your site doesn't feature any messaging, photos, and is not a dating network, so I found myself going "get to the punchline". Most people will not make it through all the text and actually sign up.

Edit: The thing that I don't get about your concept is how you plan to actually monetize it. If I understand correctly, each user is basically a one time visitor (unless they come back to review stuff later), with no networking or personal info to harvest. A million "members" who sign up and then visit only once is just not that appealing IMO. Just my two cents anyway.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 26, 2014

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Yeah, I'll be working on cutting the copy down significantly in the next week or two before we launch.

quote:

Edit: The thing that I don't get about your concept is how you plan to actually monetize it. If I understand correctly, each user is basically a one time visitor (unless they come back to review stuff later), with no networking or personal info to harvest. A million "members" who sign up and then visit only once is just not that appealing IMO. Just my two cents anyway.

Well, I did write a little bit about that in the post. Your last observation is something I am struggling with.

That said, the data product doesn't directly benefit from people staying (actually, it makes cleaning the data a little harder) but CAC takes a hit. I can try to mitigate it with content generation & referral program. So long as there's people going through relationship & life question dilemmas, there'll be that consumer dataset and it's fresh data points that maintain the value of the dataset in time. Naively, the real value comes with throughput & "spatial"/demographic resolution of the dataset. Trying to understand that balance and how to structure the data product is an active question. I'm curious if anyone is in that line of data work so I can get some advice on structure and requirements.

I'll be spending December finding connections to potential customers as I start getting metrics.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
Do you expect your site to actual inform a romantic decision which is basically binary of 'do I stay with this person or not?'.

If yes, how do you justify an online app can make such a qualitative decision?

If no, what is the point of it / who would pay for it?

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.
Data collection is great, but it's usually in the form of accessory data collected along some normal product path. Mortgage lenders resell household income, ecommerce sites resell purchase history. Your site provides only a thin veneer of product usefulness, and mostly is just "tell me things that I can resell." if you can make the core product useful enough that people either stick around or come through in sufficient volumes, sure, data is a monetization strategy. I think you've got work to do on that front though.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

As much as I appreciate the value judgements and repetition of my own concerns

DukAmok posted:

Mortgage lenders resell household income, ecommerce sites resell purchase history.

...is the knowledge beyond what's colloquial that I need.

Do you/others have any resources on the actual practice of this and who aggregates it? So in the case of ecommmerce, it'd be marketing companies but which and how? Because it's awfully dark (e.g. link even the full report is pretty much devoid of that info) and if I don't want to have only a "thin veneer" of usefulness I need to know the data science to play around with (there's a lot of cross-correlating even within the dataset, or ideally with customer-side data) or at least how to package/structure the data set such that licensing or distribution can be done.

Of course that's personal data vs non-personal, aggregate data which has its own value in a different market, which again, I'm in the dark about.

That's why I'm posting - asking if anyone is in that line of work. If I missed something in all my research and someone points it out, that's great. I'll be happy to take that, too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Some of that data from the relationship/future plans/housing/savings lifestyle "Thing" Nanaya would be doing would probably be useful in the actuarial business. You might have a small potential future revenue stream from insurance or some of the lifecycle mutual fund markets.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

^I talked to an actuary friend about that. He was a little dubious on the value of the exact data for what he does (mainly health insurance portfolio design for employers but also life insurance). It's something I'll be thinking about in the future, though.

FWIW, after realizing I was going well over the heads of some advisors (and potential investors) I realized I had to find the nerdiest people I could in business. I checked out my bschool directory and got in touch with a few marketing analytics profs who gave me what should be some solid leads. Unfortunately, it's the holidays.

I should have a solid role out model of a pre-product using a mix of OKC and Facebook as a means to build a model. Hopefully you'll hear about it elsewhere toward the end of January. As I've learned, at least locally, no one invests in products - just sales (as a strategic planner, absurdly myopic but c'est la vie) - my pre-product should get me some sales as well. We'll see.

e: No, the webpage hasn't been updated before someone tells me about it. It'll be updated with a quiet launch as we prepare to work with partners for the real pre-product launch.

On a personal level, I think I'm working 16 hour days straight on this when other obligations aren't taking my time away.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 13, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

You really shouldn't be taking it to angels in St. Louis, man. This is a Silicon Valley style startup. I doubt there's very many there who have dealt with data analytics businesses before so they probably don't know how to value it. Not sure how I'd value it, either, I still think it's in a weird niche where it consumers won't pay for it but neither does it serve the needs of the platforms that would. Nonetheless, I think it'd probably be better received by investors out here: there's a better appetite for risk and a better understanding of data-based business models, and if you're looking for the sorts of people who would know how to monetize something like this, they all work out here.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

e: nm, agreed.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hey, startup question here since it seems like we've got a lot of startup goons in here.

I've got multiple small businesses but for the first time I'm working on shutting one down. The issue is that it's an LLC partnership where my partner is leaving the company, is working to dissolve the entity, and all that jazz, but I still have a bill I'm collecting on. He signed away his involvement and stake in the company so he is not looking to collect on it.

Does anyone know the steps I should be taking to secure this debt if we are dissolving the company? Do I need to put the breaks on this process, or can I transfer the debt to myself without losing the ability to collect on it?

Thanks for any suggestions on where to get started here, this has been perplexing me for a while and I've gotten different answers from different sources.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 17, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I think that is something that depends on the state you're incorporated in.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
It's in Texas, land of broken dreams.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I just acquired a rental income property in the Philly area and it's zoned for Res/Office/light manufacturing. I know it's the wrong area for startups, but how would I go about offering free rent for an equity piece of a startup? It's a decent size and has three bedrooms and a laundry so it the people could live there too.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

I Love You! posted:

Does anyone know the steps I should be taking to secure this debt if we are dissolving the company? Do I need to put the breaks on this process, or can I transfer the debt to myself without losing the ability to collect on it?

Sounds like a question that could be answered by a lawyer for the price of his time on a phone call. I'm in Texas; PM me if you need a guy.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I uploaded our theory white paper to ArXiv as we prepare for launch. If anyone has trouble sleeping you should check it out: http://arxiv.org/abs/1501.00637. Also had an interview with a major publication. Site should be live by Friday with PR going out next week.

e: I'll make some announcements here about news but I probably won't be talking too much about the business side of things. As a last update: I spent 6 days straight, 16 hrs a day writing my business plan and doing market studies & my own revenue model. It felt really good to have all the thoughts finally coalesce into something written: 96 very dense pages (except revenue charts. Two very different revenue models, one my parametric/stochastic leviathan & another an advisor's simple model, that converged very well). My main advisor (3 exits) said it's Series A & B-level due diligence and very solid. I was just doing what I knew how from writing NASA grant proposals and my cost model tools in that life...we'll see what happens come end of Feb.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just started reading the tail end of this thread but guidoanselmi have you tried engaging SixThirty / CultivationCapital? Lots of connections and potential there, SixThirty itself is more Financially focused but these same people (or the chamber of commerce itself) may be able to put you in touch with the right people. Maybe you've tried that, it's just my first thought upon reading.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I've talked a fair bit to one of the partners at Cultivation but I'll just say that Baby Babbeh hit the nail on the head. I'll be at the Olin Cup event this week (we're finalists and all the jazz) and will be applying to ArchGrants. SixThirty is definitely fintech which we're not touching...yet.

Now I have no idea what metrics are considered good for startup models that depend on consumer/user engagement, but so far this is going far better than anticipated - especially considering we haven't submitted a press release and had our basic site up for two weeks. I hope to have this hitting major US headlines in the next week or so but we've already hit major headlines in Spain & Greece!

e: If you're bored, come and take a personality test @ https://www.nanaya.co

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 27, 2015

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

e: If you're bored, come and take a personality test @ https://www.nanaya.co

My test hit the nail on the head. The results read like a Myers-Briggs test. I wonder how it would help the love life..

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

snagger posted:

My test hit the nail on the head. The results read like a Myers-Briggs test. I wonder how it would help the love life..

Glad to hear you say that. I spent a lot of time going over the pros and cons of this test (via Traitify.com) and applymagicsauce.com. I decided on the former for what could/should be some obvious reasons. An early article covering us reviewed both as New Scientist covered the Cambridge group of ApplyMagicSauce and thought our assessment was more accurate.

The romantic personality test has yet to be built.

The psychometrics & metadata will populate the database that the algorithm uses. Wonky details on how that data is useful are here.

I'm essentially bootstrapping my way to the dataset that online dating sites (eHarmony & Chemistry, at least. OKC's personality assessment is not really psychometrics and more of a "List of Values"). Once the DB is sufficiently populated* I can run the algorithm.

*Dataset density is pretty much what drives a lot of the product & model. There's some fun methodologies and data studies that can let us make generalizations, ironically some using the work of the folks that made ApplyMagicSauce!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Hey thread. Last night I signed up for a Washington State business license, along with a nursery license because I intend to sell plants.

My business' main focus will be selling live plants and seeds of carnivorous plants like Venus fly traps and North American pitcher plants. I also plan to dabble in Pacific NW native shade perennials like sword ferns and bleeding hearts. I'm going to start selling at farmer's markets and then do online sales, which the nursery license should allow me to do. My online shop will be through Big Cartel and I'm going to design and host my own website from a home server.

I live in a city that requires me to get a home business license. Part of the stipulation is that no business materials be stored outside, but all these plants I'm growing are going to be outside in my garden. Does that count?

I already paid for the licenses even though I don't expect to have anything sell-able for at least a year. I suppose I did it in case I have some seeds to sell this season. If I don't actually end up selling anything, next year do I have to fill out a tax form and claim I made $0?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I swear I'm not trying to harp against Nanaya - but one thing just jumps out and is driving me nuts:

Nanaya Landing Page posted:

Take the personality test!
Nanaya is not a personality quiz.
I don't even

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Lacrosse posted:

Hey thread. Last night I signed up for a Washington State business license, along with a nursery license because I intend to sell plants.

My business' main focus will be selling live plants and seeds of carnivorous plants like Venus fly traps and North American pitcher plants. I also plan to dabble in Pacific NW native shade perennials like sword ferns and bleeding hearts. I'm going to start selling at farmer's markets and then do online sales, which the nursery license should allow me to do. My online shop will be through Big Cartel and I'm going to design and host my own website from a home server.

I live in a city that requires me to get a home business license. Part of the stipulation is that no business materials be stored outside, but all these plants I'm growing are going to be outside in my garden. Does that count?

I already paid for the licenses even though I don't expect to have anything sell-able for at least a year. I suppose I did it in case I have some seeds to sell this season. If I don't actually end up selling anything, next year do I have to fill out a tax form and claim I made $0?

That's a lot of words for "Hey guys, I'm joining Tuyop in growing BASIL"

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

guidoanselmi posted:

Glad to hear you say that. I spent a lot of time going over the pros and cons of this test (via Traitify.com) and applymagicsauce.com. I decided on the former for what could/should be some obvious reasons. An early article covering us reviewed both as New Scientist covered the Cambridge group of ApplyMagicSauce and thought our assessment was more accurate.

The romantic personality test has yet to be built.

The psychometrics & metadata will populate the database that the algorithm uses. Wonky details on how that data is useful are here.

I'm essentially bootstrapping my way to the dataset that online dating sites (eHarmony & Chemistry, at least. OKC's personality assessment is not really psychometrics and more of a "List of Values"). Once the DB is sufficiently populated* I can run the algorithm.

*Dataset density is pretty much what drives a lot of the product & model. There's some fun methodologies and data studies that can let us make generalizations, ironically some using the work of the folks that made ApplyMagicSauce!

One way to get a good chuck of data is develop some facebook app/questionnaire. One of those things you see people constantly linking saying "What personality type are you?" These things are pretty much clickbait, but a lot of people click them apparently.

Are you open to any additional invetstment? You should do a private Goon round of funding. You might find some of us here willing to throw our hats in the ring with you. As a bonus, it is a great learning experience for goons wanting to learn about private investing. Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

So I haven't promoted this yet but: Which Nation is the Best Lover?

Over 16k users (~5k actually made an account), partnership with a few uni papers, and a lot of international press coverage/traction. Haven't done too much on my part for all of that.

I swear I'm not trying to harp against Nanaya - but one thing just jumps out and is driving me nuts:

I don't even

hahaha, oh, I know. Kinda hard to bootstrap a dataset I need without a personality test, though. The ultimately Nanaya app UX is an adaptive questionnaire + personality test. The results are like what's shown on the page. e: There's a bunch of stuff I do have in mind but product development is pretty far away mentally as I am juggling two other jobs.

So the app will be ready/available for places that have the highest data density (non-geographic segmentation should be okish at this point). Wanted to work with college papers as a platform for surveys but that didn't work as well as expected for a bunch of reasons (in short, no clear chain of command at uni papers. no one wants to commit to something new, even if it's free and super easy for them). For the universities that are working for us, the 'lite' version of the algorithm for predicting finding a long-term SO would be available soonest.

The whole site needs a reboot, but between time/money that's out of the question at the moment.

lunatikfringe posted:

One way to get a good chuck of data is develop some facebook app/questionnaire. One of those things you see people constantly linking saying "What personality type are you?" These things are pretty much clickbait, but a lot of people click them apparently.

The personality test results are sharable. Should be buttons by high level results.

I know there's annoyance for filling out the demographic info but it's necessary for everything to work later.

quote:

Are you open to any additional invetstment? You should do a private Goon round of funding. You might find some of us here willing to throw our hats in the ring with you. As a bonus, it is a great learning experience for goons wanting to learn about private investing. Just a thought.

I'm looking for investment and can't really build very much without it at the moment. I'm working on a few potential deals at the moment but nothing really clear yet. I'm not really promoting Nanaya on the forums much because, well, it's SA. I have all equity and wouldn't mind giving some away if there's a well-positioned CEO or talented dev who can help me. I wrote earlier in the thread about doing kickstarter and between responses here and elsewhere I was dissuaded. If you're curious about what my goal is in all of this, feel free to ping me at info at nanaya dot co.

There's a lot I could write about my experiences in STL, maybe one day. Baby Babbeh hit the nail on the head, entirely.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread