Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

The Robin situation in the new 52 is ridiculous. They should've committed to a fresh start and scrapped at least two of them. Either that or they shouldn't have stuck to the arbitrary 5 year Batman time line where he burned through a Robin every 6 months.

Tim is my favourite Robin but there's no place for him in the current universe.
To be fair, they did technically get rid of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dacap posted:

The Robin situation in the new 52 is ridiculous. They should've committed to a fresh start and scrapped at least two of them. Either that or they shouldn't have stuck to the arbitrary 5 year Batman time line where he burned through a Robin every 6 months.

Tim is my favourite Robin but there's no place for him in the current universe.

Simple: Damian and Jason. The idea that Bruce would continue being Batman after having a son really clashes with the (better) interpretation of his character. The driving force behind Batman is the trauma of losing his parents to criminals, putting his son into the same position doesn't really makes sense to me. There is also that actually giving Talia and Bruce a kid appears really fanwanky to me.

And Jason simply works better as cenotaph than as a character. Not that he had one to begin with. Maybe the idea of a gun toting, villain killing Batman is just too much of a symbol of an age were not killing is actually seen as a weakness, but I always found the the Red Hood just really lame. Also, the entire "Robin who got sick of Batman poo poo" is, ironically, still incredible derivative of Dick, only that he eventually matured enough to grow past it and reconcile with Bruce.

Fundamentally, they just should have left Bruce dead, even if his death was really dumb. Or, better, go with my idea from above and having him actually retire, passing the mantel to Dick and Damian, because that actually worked really, really well.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

e X posted:

. Or, better, go with my idea from above and having him actually retire, passing the mantel to Dick and Damian, because that actually worked really, really well.

I loved Dick/Damian too, it was a nice play on the traditional Batman/Robin relationship to have a team with the personalities reversed.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I thought the Under the Red Hood movie was excellent and it was definitely the best story Jason Todd had probably ever been in. The problem with Todd is that he stuck around after that story line, which kinds of takes all of the power away from it. Jason Todd literally coming back from the grave to haunt Bruce about his failure only to die again would have been amazing. Him sticking around and being part of the Bat family is just plain weird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought the Under the Red Hood movie was excellent and it was definitely the best story Jason Todd had probably ever been in. The problem with Todd is that he stuck around after that story line, which kinds of takes all of the power away from it. Jason Todd literally coming back from the grave to haunt Bruce about his failure only to die again would have been amazing. Him sticking around and being part of the Bat family is just plain weird.

*DINGDINGDING* We have a winner!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Funny your complaints about the Robins, considering that there's no sign of Jason and Tim existing on the animated N52. Only Dick and Damian.

Speaking of, Throne of Atlantis is fantastic. Lots of great character moments, a very effective take on the original story (I think is way better than the comic), some neat nods ("OUTRAGEOUS!")here and there. And definitely a big step up over JL:War.

Considering the stinger, next animated feature will either be a very loose adaptation of Forever Evil or an original story.

I found hilarious that is basically Hulk's stinger but with bad guys :haw:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Considering the stinger, next animated feature will either be a very loose adaptation of Forever Evil or an original story.

Given DC's policy of "gently caress anything that's not the New 52", I'd say that guarantees Forever Evil.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Call me old fasioned, but I'll never get used to Clark and Diana's relationship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hiddenriverninja posted:

Call me old fasioned, but I'll never get used to Clark and Diana's relationship.

Yeah I can't stand it. It just does not feel right.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have always hated Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple. Justice League is the only time Wonder Woman wanting to gently caress a hero made sense and it was because it was Batman and he was the big dumb dork in the relationship.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

It has nothing to do with nostalgia anyway; it was always someone's fresh idea and they shot it down because it's terrible for thematic and character-driven reasons for both of them. Clark and Diana are both demigods who need regular humans in their personal lives to keep them connected with humanity; them getting together puts them above us in their most intimate hearts and minds. Everything they have in common makes them great friends and working partners but terrible lovers and romantic partners.

Beef Waifu posted:

I have always hated Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple. Justice League is the only time Wonder Woman wanting to gently caress a hero made sense and it was because it was Batman and he was the big dumb dork in the relationship.

Exactly. Bats/WW is amusing and interesting for all the juxtapositions in personality and power dynamics going on, there's actually something to work with there. Supes/WW is just "you two are gods, go be gods together."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That minute-long scene in the episode of Justice League where they're turned into kids is all you need to understand the Bruce/Diana/Clark triangle, and why it should be Bruce/Diana if you even have to pair them up at all.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Diana/Clark only works in the Injustice series, where Clark and Diana are both raging assholes.

Also, whatever happened to that animated Justice League series DC announced a while back?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Probably got pre-emptively cancelled by Cartoon Network because they read the synopsis and it mentioned a woman in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

McSpanky posted:

It has nothing to do with nostalgia anyway; it was always someone's fresh idea and they shot it down because it's terrible for thematic and character-driven reasons for both of them. Clark and Diana are both demigods who need regular humans in their personal lives to keep them connected with humanity; them getting together puts them above us in their most intimate hearts and minds. Everything they have in common makes them great friends and working partners but terrible lovers and romantic partners.

Exactly. Bats/WW is amusing and interesting for all the juxtapositions in personality and power dynamics going on, there's actually something to work with there. Supes/WW is just "you two are gods, go be gods together."

Its Lois and Clark not Superman and Wonder Woman :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Diana/Clark only works in the Injustice series, where Clark and Diana are both raging assholes.

That relationship is incredibly one-sided, anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Constantine web Claynimation series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjw4Goo8i-4

Pretty drat awesome.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any idea if/when YJ season two hits Netflix? Usually they do seasons by year but I think it's been a year since it first came on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe never. Netflix has become extremely unreliable for that sort of thing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Netflix was the pioneer for streaming services, but now, with other providing coming to the market, there are probably pretty long licensing negotiations going on behind the scenes, especially because a lot of the bigger networks and media companies are interested launching there own services.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Clark and Diana are both demigods who need regular humans in their personal lives to keep them connected with humanity;
I actually disagree with this. Lois being a normal person isn't about connecting Superman with humanity. Lois being a normal person is to show that you don't have to have superpowers to stand for the things Superman stands for. She's about truth and justice just as much as Clark is, just in a different and mundane way. And that's what ultimately matters for both characters. That's what's beautiful about their relationship. There isn't a power imbalance. To Superman, Lois is the strongest woman in the world.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually disagree with this. Lois being a normal person isn't about connecting Superman with humanity. Lois being a normal person is to show that you don't have to have superpowers to stand for the things Superman stands for. She's about truth and justice just as much as Clark is, just in a different and mundane way. And that's what ultimately matters for both characters. That's what's beautiful about their relationship. There isn't a power imbalance. To Superman, Lois is the strongest woman in the world.

I can't remember who said it but my favorite quote about Lois isn't that she's the only woman who can keep up with Superman but that Superman is the only man who can keep up with Lois.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree but I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Many future Superman stories have had him slowly drifting away from his humanity after Lois dies/gets killed and otherwise strongly suggested that their relationship is one his anchors to mortality, which I don't think is absolutely inevitable but it's certainly a long-running theme.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well yeah, but I think you just described some of the most important themes of "what it is to be human".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Throne of Atlantis extra: Nightwing and Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YktnQhk16Y

Awesome

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They keep airing commercials for that new DC animated movie and Aquaman sure has stupid hair.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Son of Batman was on tv tonight, and I liked how they basically changed Black Widows hair to brown and called her Talia.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My housemate and I just finished marathoning Young Justice the past couple of nights. I'm a longtime DC animation fan but like a lot of people, I stopped watching towards the end of season one because of the awful timeslot, awkward episode breaks, and the infamous "Everything According To Plan" bullshit. But watching them all in a row was actually really enjoyable and now I'm disappointed it got torpedoed by Cartoon Network.

The Brain waving around chainsaws and lasers in the second to last episode was amazing.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Throne of Atlantis extra: Nightwing and Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YktnQhk16Y

Awesome

Was that guy supposed to be scarecrow, because that's one of the lamest versions of him I've seen animated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

goldenoreos posted:

Was that guy supposed to be scarecrow, because that's one of the lamest versions of him I've seen animated.

No need for a qualifier.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"We can't afford any kind of fear drug effects, so here are some guns"

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
He might have been more intimidating if he made even the slightest effort to actually shoot those guns instead of standing still and doing nothing for ten seconds.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Skwirl posted:

No need for a qualifier.

Nah I think this New 52 Scarecrow is worse.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The 3rd Diniverse redesign was the best. Undead western preacher with a noose around his neck voiced by Combs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ompmqE_B-k

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Which part exactly?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

Which part exactly?

Damian and Dick fighting together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The 3rd Diniverse redesign was the best. Undead western preacher with a noose around his neck voiced by Combs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ompmqE_B-k

People love that version but I don't see it. Scarecrow should be scrawny to me. That just looks like the Undertaker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

People love that version but I don't see it. Scarecrow should be scrawny to me. That just looks like the Undertaker.

Well, Bane is basically Brock Lesnar in a lucha mask.

What I'm saying is that Scarecrow should be beaten up by Bane.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I mean, Batman's rogue gallery are defined by being mentally ill people, so switching them up with wrestlers seems appropriate. Iron Sheik would be an excellent Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I mean, Batman's rogue gallery are defined by being mentally ill people, so switching them up with wrestlers seems appropriate. Iron Sheik Dean Ambrose would be an excellent Joker.

• Locked thread