Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Maybe to attach your super reflective orange/yellow vest too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Yeah, looks like it is for the hi-viz vest.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 23, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Ah ha, you're right. It's the hi-viz vest connector.

Never gonna wear that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I've got $250 to spend on gear post-Christmas (most of it in Cycle gear gift cards), and what I need is some cold/wet/dark weather upper body gear. Any recommendations for something that would work for 30-60 F and possibly be water resistant?

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Firstgear Kilimanjaro http://www.cyclegear.com/FIRSTGEAR-Kilimanjaro-Textile-Motorcycle-Jacket is around that price range and a decent jacket. Waterproofing is on the external shell so it won't get waterlogged, which i far prefer to a zip in waterproof layer under the shell. Pretty warm with the liner in.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah my mom has a Kilimanjaro, loves it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I just picked up a Tourmaster Transition III jacket as a winter/rain jacket and so far it's worked great. Nice and warm, waterproof layer is built into the outer shell, and fits me nicely (lots of adjustable bits which are always nice). We get a whole lotta rain here in the PNW so if it's good enough to keep me dry in our monsoons, then it should work well anywhere.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-transition-3-jacket?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CI357uen48ICFVIIvAodJpcAUA

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yoinked this off slickdeals, I like scorpion helmets and I think this design looks pretty nice to boot.

Scorpion EXO-500 Heritage Street Helmet (various colors) on sale for $64.95. Shipping is free.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...&WT.MC_ID=54006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
poo poo I love that red/white/blue paintjob.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Okay, what are the absolute best cold weather gloves? Mine aren't cutting it below 30 degrees ambient on the highway (I have no wind protection), and I tried utilizing some geartector ATV style over the handlebar mitts but that just isn't working. Without turning towards wired in heated grips, what are the best cold weather gloves I can buy that will keep me from having frozen hands while cruising on the highway at 70 for an hour at a time when it's 15 degrees out or below?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Maybe one of those over-sized arctic mittens would work, but I'd go for handlebar muffs before I would ever consider turning myself in to a grown toddler.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Just get some Rukka Lobsters.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-3-finger-gore-tex-gloves?gclid=CMjlxuTI6cICFQgJvAod_4QAGQ

Goon tested and approved (I laughed out loud when I checked the reviews just now and saw the first one at the top was fellow PDX goon Lynza).

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
If you don't want to dick around with replacing your grips you can get heated glove liners. It's got a bit of a price as barrier to entry but well worth it. In that temperature range, probably not much else is going to cut it anyway.

I use this setup:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-heated-glove-liners
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-heated-jacket-liner (mine is the 90 watt version)
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-dual-portable-heat-troller

If you just want to use the gloves without a jacket to feed them, you'll also need a Y cable to connect the gloves to the controller.

I think glove liners make more sense than heated grips because there's less waste, you're heating the exact thing you want heated. I also wasn't impressed with the protection on most of the heated gloves I found, these let me use real gloves. They also take up FAR less space. If it's a borderline day and I'll be out for a while and i'm not sure I'll need heat, but want to be prepared, these and the Y-cable and controller all fits in a pocket.

The only wiring is the pigtail connected to the battery which dangles out from under the seat. When I stand up and walk away, the plug gets pulled, no more power drain, no risk of leaving heated grips running for 8 hours on battery. No work to install other than popping off seat, putting the leads on, and hanging the pigtail out where I wanted it.

I went with the firstgear because the glove liners are thinner than the gerbings ones. Their jacket also heats all the way down the arms and up the neck as well, I think some others don't. They fit pretty easily under my normal insulated gloves without squeezing my fingers or costing too much feel. You do lose some dexterity and feel for having the extra layer but its less than you lose when you can't feel your fingers. I don't even use the gloves until probably the upper 20s, just throw on the jacket and crank it up a bit more. Less hassle. Just riding around even in the low 40s with the heated jacket is so nice, you feel so much more comfortable and don't need to gently caress around with all the layering and insulation and it's just pleasant.

I have ridden with that setup and my normal gear plus thermal pants down to 15 degrees. Normally I'll just get dressed for work, toss on a fleece, then put the jacket on over it, then aerostich and go. For really cold days, I put the jacket on UNDER the fleece or sweater and just laugh my rear end off at all the fools shivering in their SUVs praying for the heaters to kick in. The heated gear comes to temp in about 3 seconds.

I do want to remind you of the fact I observed after the coldest ride I've done (15) - the rated temperature range for the 10w40 oil in my bike starts at 14 in my owners manual. Keep that in mind for extreme weather riding as well. Also try to check the capacity of your bike's electrical system - that jacket and gloves ends up as a 112W power drain and you want to be sure you're not sucking more than your generator can make, to ensure your battery stays charged while you're riding. Getting stranded in fuckoff nowhere in the cold with a dead bike would suck. In my case it looks like I'm just about walking the line on estimated capacity IF I'm running with high beams constantly, which I don't tend to do because if i'm riding while maxing out the gear, it's probably to get to work, which is an urban commute.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Weird, I was just coming to ask about heated vests.

The under jacket you linked there suggests it only goes as low 109f/42c, is that just down to the controller that comes with that model? If I got a separate controller, would it be able to go lower, or do these things dislike being undervolted too much? (I can't imagine why they would, but you never know)

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
The controller is just an analog dial. I don't know the temp range on it but it goes from just barely there to cooking. Same with the gloves. If its a mild day you can turn them down so you don't even notice they're there, you just aren't getting cold. The lights for each of the two channels blink at a rate depending on what the setting is so i would guess that it controls temp by pulsing power based on the selection. I'm pretty sure the lower temp range is not that hot.

I should also add the heated gear works much better if it's well fitting, and firstgear stuff tends to run "american" sized. I'm 5'10 170 and most of my shirts are Medium, but in firstgear I'm a small. My heated jacket is a medium because thats the smallest the shop had and i needed it asap, and it fits like a normal street jacket might, but for heated gear it's definitely an efficiency loss without a layer over it to press it in a bit or under it to make more direct contact.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Another slickdeals yoink, Scorpion EXO-R410 helmets for $55 & free shipping.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

If you don't want to dick around with replacing your grips you can get heated glove liners. It's got a bit of a price as barrier to entry but well worth it. In that temperature range, probably not much else is going to cut it anyway.

I use this setup:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-heated-glove-liners
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-heated-jacket-liner (mine is the 90 watt version)
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-dual-portable-heat-troller

If you just want to use the gloves without a jacket to feed them, you'll also need a Y cable to connect the gloves to the controller.

I think glove liners make more sense than heated grips because there's less waste, you're heating the exact thing you want heated. I also wasn't impressed with the protection on most of the heated gloves I found, these let me use real gloves. They also take up FAR less space. If it's a borderline day and I'll be out for a while and i'm not sure I'll need heat, but want to be prepared, these and the Y-cable and controller all fits in a pocket.

The only wiring is the pigtail connected to the battery which dangles out from under the seat. When I stand up and walk away, the plug gets pulled, no more power drain, no risk of leaving heated grips running for 8 hours on battery. No work to install other than popping off seat, putting the leads on, and hanging the pigtail out where I wanted it.

I went with the firstgear because the glove liners are thinner than the gerbings ones. Their jacket also heats all the way down the arms and up the neck as well, I think some others don't. They fit pretty easily under my normal insulated gloves without squeezing my fingers or costing too much feel. You do lose some dexterity and feel for having the extra layer but its less than you lose when you can't feel your fingers. I don't even use the gloves until probably the upper 20s, just throw on the jacket and crank it up a bit more. Less hassle. Just riding around even in the low 40s with the heated jacket is so nice, you feel so much more comfortable and don't need to gently caress around with all the layering and insulation and it's just pleasant.

I have ridden with that setup and my normal gear plus thermal pants down to 15 degrees. Normally I'll just get dressed for work, toss on a fleece, then put the jacket on over it, then aerostich and go. For really cold days, I put the jacket on UNDER the fleece or sweater and just laugh my rear end off at all the fools shivering in their SUVs praying for the heaters to kick in. The heated gear comes to temp in about 3 seconds.

I do want to remind you of the fact I observed after the coldest ride I've done (15) - the rated temperature range for the 10w40 oil in my bike starts at 14 in my owners manual. Keep that in mind for extreme weather riding as well. Also try to check the capacity of your bike's electrical system - that jacket and gloves ends up as a 112W power drain and you want to be sure you're not sucking more than your generator can make, to ensure your battery stays charged while you're riding. Getting stranded in fuckoff nowhere in the cold with a dead bike would suck. In my case it looks like I'm just about walking the line on estimated capacity IF I'm running with high beams constantly, which I don't tend to do because if i'm riding while maxing out the gear, it's probably to get to work, which is an urban commute.

Good info, thanks.

The reviews of the lobster gloves above don't look like they're much better than what I've already got, since they're leaving people numb when they're riding in the 20s.

Well, I guess maybe I'll have to see about heated gloves.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Yay posts about heated gear! I've got the powerlet branded jacket liner and glove liners and they're pretty much identical to the firstgear stuff. I like the glove liners but found them a bit too fiddly so I went out and got some firstgear heated gloves instead. If you're interested in the glove liners let me know and I'll give you a really good price on them. They're these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-rapidfire-heated-glove-liners-wout-temp-controller

Huge fan of the heated stuff, and probably the best gear purchase I've made since I ditched my HJC and bought a shoei rf-1100. Get a wireless controller and mount it somewhere on your bike instead of keeping it in your pocket, it's far easier to deal with then.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Motorcyclegear.com is having a last-minute sale on Tourmaster Synergy heated gear until the 1st, I think. Looks like it's reasonably priced. I don't know about the quality, but I can't complain about the Tourmaster stuff I have, so it's a good bet it'll do fine for you.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Nevermind... I just answered my own question.

On a related note, any suggestions for a good helmet for a passenger? Obviously I want the same certifications as mine (and more), but should I be looking for anything in particular?

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 31, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Jebus posted:

Nevermind... I just answered my own question.

On a related note, any suggestions for a good helmet for a passenger? Obviously I want the same certifications as mine (and more), but should I be looking for anything in particular?

Can't beat $55:

Minty Swagger posted:

Another slickdeals yoink, Scorpion EXO-R410 helmets for $55 & free shipping.

(my wife has one, fantastic deal at that price for a Snell rated helmet).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's the opinion on fieldsheer? I'm slowly assembling colder weather gear, found a closeout on pants that seem pretty sweet.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

M42 posted:

What's the opinion on fieldsheer? I'm slowly assembling colder weather gear, found a closeout on pants that seem pretty sweet.

My fieldsheer mesh jacket and matching pants keep me pretty warm with the liners in and strech-thermals/normal street clothes beneath, good to about 40 or so. One of the liner retaining zippers on a sleeve has already given up though, less than 600 miles later.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Alright guys. Can anyone kindly explain to me what the hell these are?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-associate-vest

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-strength-rage-with-the-machine-jacket

fakeedit: And please don't say "A $400 vest and a weird almost mad-max thing that belongs at the closest gaybar's leather night". That much is obvious.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Marxalot posted:

fakeedit: And please don't say "A $400 vest and a weird almost mad-max thing that belongs at the closest gaybar's leather night". That much is obvious.

It's so when your body is cold but you need your arms free for punching.

The second is just hilarious: Rage WITH the machine!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

I got a Fieldsheer mesh jacket, fairly cheap one, had it since like 2007. Got more miles on it than any other piece of gear I own and it's still in great shape. Only problem is a slightly blown seam on the cuff of one of the liner sleeves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Honestly, if you removed the dumb patches I would probably wear the second one in green (with sleeves of course). It looks pretty cool.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I got a Fieldsheer mesh jacket, fairly cheap one, had it since like 2007. Got more miles on it than any other piece of gear I own and it's still in great shape. Only problem is a slightly blown seam on the cuff of one of the liner sleeves.

Oh hey, right or left? :V I need to drop mine off at a tailors because it'll be quicker than shipping it off to Fieldsheer for a repair.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

I can't speak to their winter gear, but my race suit is a Fieldsheer Perforated one and it's very nice and well put-together.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Another MotorcycleGear.com almost free deal - this one is a little less "almost free" but it looks like a great jacket. I've had great luck with FirstGear.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/almost_free!/kenya_jacket_2013.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The SF Dainese store is having a big sale, so I got some $280 gore-tex pants for $165. They're awesome and fit much better than the Alpinestars (non-waterproof) ones I had before. :toot:

With my gloves and jacket, by my estimates I am now 60% of the way to a full Dainese Space Lord.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Sagebrush posted:

The SF Dainese store is having a big sale, so I got some $280 gore-tex pants for $165. They're awesome and fit much better than the Alpinestars (non-waterproof) ones I had before. :toot:

With my gloves and jacket, by my estimates I am now 60% of the way to a full Dainese Space Lord.

I think you'll find that its D-bag, not Space Lord :colbert:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So I've just ordered a pair of the Joe Rocket Burner gloves after doing a lot more thinking and deciding I really didn't want to be wired in. I will review them when I get them and start using them in the cold morning.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Anyone have any thoughts on the Icon Airframe (or Airmada, even) vs. Shark S700?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Icon Airframe (or Airmada, even) vs. Shark S700?

I got the Airmada a month ago and I loving love it. Light and really well made. The field of view is excellent, my peripheral vision is several degrees better than my first helmet. It is more race oriented, so if you're totally upright you might want to look at something different (the Airframe?). I'd highly recommend it, though it is only my second helmet.

Check the revzilla review for more info, they had a great breakdown in the video.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

I've never handled an Icon of any kind but I've seen/worn the S700 and I wasn't particularly impressed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I've never handled an Icon of any kind but I've seen/worn the S700 and I wasn't particularly impressed.

That settles it. You should absolutely buy an Icon Airmada Sensory.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chichevache posted:

That settles it. You should absolutely buy an Icon Airmada Sensory.

I can't believe that doesn't come with a mohawk built-in.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not to be a hater, but everything Icon I've had I've been really disappointed by from a build quality perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not to be a hater, but everything Icon I've had I've been really disappointed by from a build quality perspective.

My helmet and over pants are fine. What did you have trouble with?