Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Hospitals are great places to donate. I donated some yarn and needles to the inpatient eating disorders unit in the hospital where I work, which has a great art therapy program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Cool, thanks. It'll be awhile before I can afford to pay off my dyakcraft, but they'll hold them for me. I just figured I'd look around and pay it forward as I can.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I DON'T need to cast anything else on... already got one double-knitting scarf OTN as it is... but...

Victorian Raffia

:hawaaaafap:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

I DON'T need to cast anything else on... already got one double-knitting scarf OTN as it is... but...

Victorian Raffia

Ohhhh, shiiiiiit.

I think I favorited the prototype for that ages ago.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
^ that scarf is gorgeous. I love the colour shifts especially.

Several inches in to Merewether and I was finally able to confirm that I had the correct stitch count. Quite a relief.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Sex Hobbit posted:

Victorian Raffia

Absolutely beautiful pattern. How difficult is double-knitting?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

a friendly penguin posted:

Double knitting is basically just 1x1 ribbing, only a little fancy. You either slip the purls with the yarn in front, when you're working one yarn at a time, or you can knit with two yarns at once.

This particular pattern also has increasing and decreasing going on at the same time. That, I haven't done so I can't really speak to the difficulty.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

a friendly penguin posted:

It's more tedious than it is hard.

Also, don't make my mistake and use any sort of fuzzy yarn to make a fiddly color-shifting pattern like this. The fuzziness will obscure the pattern and all your hard work :( See for yourself.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In your example, I don't think it's the halo as much as it is the similar colors. Sorry, it sucks to waste the effort either way :(

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

In your example, I don't think it's the halo as much as it is the similar colors. Sorry, it sucks to waste the effort either way :(

The skeins looked TOTALLY different, but yeah I realized my error about two repeats in.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009
Five rows from the end of an aran weight shawlette (Black Death) and I am now both in awe of those people who knit those huge lace weight shawls and convinced that they are utterly insane. Same for people who make stockinette sweaters.

I picked the pattern because I only had two skeins of the most luscious yarn I've ever knit with but now I'm really thankful I don't have more. In the skein it feels almost like cotton and not that great but while knitting it feels like yummy, plush, marshmellowy goodness. It's for my mom but I don't want to hand it over (I will).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

wwjebusdo posted:

Five rows from the end of an aran weight shawlette (Black Death) and I am now both in awe of those people who knit those huge lace weight shawls and convinced that they are utterly insane. Same for people who make stockinette sweaters.

I picked the pattern because I only had two skeins of the most luscious yarn I've ever knit with but now I'm really thankful I don't have more. In the skein it feels almost like cotton and not that great but while knitting it feels like yummy, plush, marshmellowy goodness. It's for my mom but I don't want to hand it over (I will).

Oh, that's going to be gorgeous and squishy and warm when it's finished!

Keep at it! The first laceweight scarf I made took me forever to finish just 400yds of knitting. The boost I got from finishing it made me love knitting lace, and I've had a second lace scarf since, plus plans for more...

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fionnoula posted:

We live in California where the single-use plastic bag ban goes into effect January 1. My kid's teachers are all receiving a market bag as their holiday gift this year. Shoulder straps look short, but they'll stretch with use.

Here's one with a twin size blanket shoved in it:

Well I did it, I posted it for sale, for $3.00. OH GOD, I'm all flopsweaty.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hulk-goes-to-market-bag

For the record, I gave it a shot with two colors, one for the bottom and handles and one for the mesh body. The 120yd skeins are NOT big enough for the entire mesh part, but the 200ish yard skeins work out nicely with leftovers. For the bottom and handles, the 120yard skein works well.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Fionnoula posted:

For the record, I gave it a shot with two colors, one for the bottom and handles and one for the mesh body. The 120yd skeins are NOT big enough for the entire mesh part, but the 200ish yard skeins work out nicely with leftovers. For the bottom and handles, the 120yard skein works well.

You should post a link in this topic:

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/2976571/2051-2075#2075

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

I've got a few spare balls AND a cone hanging around, so this is right up my alley! Sounds like some good summer knitting.. :)

I made some socks! (Ravelry link)

Sherbet Socks by effika, on Flickr

(It was 37°F outside when I modeled these-- positively warm considering the weather lately!)

Sherbet Socks by effika, on Flickr

The heel is too small-- I tried a slipstich heel, and it's tighter than I'm used to. If I can't live with it I'm going to try replacing it as if it were a worn out heel. The idea of cutting out perfectly sound knitting that I just finished is both exhilarating and terrifying!

Fleegle's symmetrical short rows are magic, by the way. My socks barely have any short row holes!

effika fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Those look great! I used the Fleegle short row/heel method on some socks I knit for my husband and it's amazing. No gaps, perfect fit, and stupidly easy. I had a lot of trouble getting these to fit right and had to rip out one of the heels twice. The Fleegle method totally saved this project, because I might not have finished them otherwise. His feet are actually about 12" long, so it was a lot of knitting, even on US3 needles. Poor guy felt guilty every time I had him try them on and something didn't fit right, but I figure if I'm going to spend that much goddamn time on something, I'm going to make sure it goddamn fits right. :colbert:

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pic, but it's the only one I got before giving them to him, since he practically lives in these socks now.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Very nice!

I actually just finished a pair of socks for my dad that I've been working on for 3 years. Pics to follow once they are dry after their washing! Pattern is Casadh, you can find on Rav (I'm on my phone, links is hard yo... And I be lazy).

I immediately cast on a pair of vanilla socks for me using that needle, and godDAMN the first few rows of two socks on one circ are *fiddly*.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mizufusion posted:

Those look great! I used the Fleegle short row/heel method on some socks I knit for my husband and it's amazing. No gaps, perfect fit, and stupidly easy. I had a lot of trouble getting these to fit right and had to rip out one of the heels twice. The Fleegle method totally saved this project, because I might not have finished them otherwise. His feet are actually about 12" long, so it was a lot of knitting, even on US3 needles. Poor guy felt guilty every time I had him try them on and something didn't fit right, but I figure if I'm going to spend that much goddamn time on something, I'm going to make sure it goddamn fits right. :colbert:

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pic, but it's the only one I got before giving them to him, since he practically lives in these socks now.

Thanks! I've used a different short row method each heel, and Fleegle's is definitely the easiest and least gappy.

I think being worn so much there's few pictures of them is a good sign for a pair of socks. Those look cozy!

Phishi posted:

Very nice!

I actually just finished a pair of socks for my dad that I've been working on for 3 years. Pics to follow once they are dry after their washing! Pattern is Casadh, you can find on Rav (I'm on my phone, links is hard yo... And I be lazy).

I immediately cast on a pair of vanilla socks for me using that needle, and godDAMN the first few rows of two socks on one circ are *fiddly*.

Thanks! Yeah, the first two rows always make me question my needle size, but then I get to knitting a few more rounds and it's all good. So little room to work with the stitches.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I made the Cat Hoodie for my brother's terrier, and with some fox ears and cloth buttons it kind of reminds me of Batman for some reason.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

So my tension is probably all sorts of terrible but here's my first ever sweater I'm working on. I've crocheted for a long time and always wanted to learn knitting, but I always got frustrated and quit. I decided to sign up for a beginning sweater class at my LYS to force myself to finish the project. So...just wanted to share. :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ms. Happiness posted:

So my tension is probably all sorts of terrible but here's my first ever sweater I'm working on. I've crocheted for a long time and always wanted to learn knitting, but I always got frustrated and quit. I decided to sign up for a beginning sweater class at my LYS to force myself to finish the project. So...just wanted to share. :)

I think it looks awesome!! My first sweater didn't look that good, for sure.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Looks great so far! I love the tweediness of that yarn.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Don't feel intimidated by sweaters. Though they are a lot of work, in the end, when you put them on, everything looks pretty good. I hope it becomes your favorite thing to wear.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Just finished this scarf for a friend who's a Seahawks fan. Hopefully the colors are good.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I made a hat!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It's so cute!! :3: I love the pompom and cable work is fantastic.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

For those who make little toys, what are the smallest needle sizes you've worked with? I'm so tempted to get some size 0000 dpns for a herd of small jellyfishes. :allears: and I think I can justify buying them to make cute things for my new fox friend from nonesuch gardens. I have enough laceweight scraps for them and more, anyhow. No pics of it blocking but I've recently finished a very small blanket for the fox. Because clearly a stuffed toy needs a blanket ;) and a tiny vest, but I've recently tore it off the needles. I cant figure out the proper gauge. I might be knitting too loose and tight.

The fox in question.
A scarf for said fox from the same artist costs about 18 bucks alone. Its laceweight yarn, garter stitch, about a foot and a half. Deer lord.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Ohhh that fox is super cute, I bet a tiny vest and scarf would be lovely!
I've made toy stuff on size 1 and 2, haven't really gone smaller. I think if you would like to do it then you should!!

My most recently finished project, the Polar Opposites cowl:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cable hats have a special place in my heart because my first real project was a cable hat that I still wear.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wedemeyer posted:

For those who make little toys, what are the smallest needle sizes you've worked with? I'm so tempted to get some size 0000 dpns for a herd of small jellyfishes.

........jellyfish, you say?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Mad Hamish posted:

........jellyfish, you say?

My sea critter pattern book has a jellyfish or two in it, it's pretty neat. 75 Seashells, Fish, Coral & Colorful Marine Life to Knit & Crochet is the title. I quite like it, and have been making little sea weeds to assemble for my sea weed scarf. I may even incorporate some invertebrates into it. Or a couple of fishes.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Have a fetish for hawt men wearing your knitted accessories? WELL YOU'RE IN LUCK! There's a Men in Knitwear 2015 Calendar just waiting for you!

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009

wwjebusdo posted:

Five rows from the end of an aran weight shawlette (Black Death) ...

So uh...I made three shawls in a month and have one 60% done on needles now and another started.

First one! Done for my mama. She's worn it so much that it already needs to be washed again.

Technically this was the third one I started, but for the second one I chose the most boring pattern ever so it's taking forever. This is a rather modified Elk Tooth. Modeled by my oh-so-wonderful godmother. The yarn is actually this beautiful glimmering gold color but imgur wouldn't upload the pic that showed it so eh.

This is a hate-knit, if there is such a thing. I was trying to stash-bust and nothing I tried to do with this yarn was working. After frogging four or five projects I was feeling like the stuff was antagonizing me on purpose so just turned it into the first shawl pattern I found that fit the yarn and yardage wasn't an issue. Blocking made the yarn go skinny and flat and distorted the stitches, rather than the poofy yet consistent stitches I had before. I think it's ugly as sin but it does feel amazing when worn, so there is that.

I'm a bit addicted.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wwjebusdo posted:

So uh...I made three shawls in a month and have one 60% done on needles now and another started.

I'm a bit addicted.

Maybe, but these are gorgeous!

quote:

This is a hate-knit, if there is such a thing.

I love that it wouldn't behave during blocking, too. Figures.

I'm currently hate-knitting on a lengthwise linen stitch Koigu PPPM scarf. I was given the yarn (yay!) but it's in colors I will never, ever wear (boo!) and I don't have a recipient in mind yet to gift it to. You know how sometimes you'll see a retired woman's first forays into dying wool felt, or watercolor, and it's got All of the Colors and the dominant color is brown-ish grey because everything ran together? That's what this scarf is like. It's an art project, commentary on growing older and learning curves... at least that's what I'm telling myself. Maybe I can enter it in an exhibition somewhere and it'll sell and I won't have to look at it any more.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009

effika posted:

Maybe, but these are gorgeous!

Thanks! They've gotten me a ridiculous amount of compliments when out and about so I'm determined to make shawls the next hip thing. Like, most people won't necessarily comment on the shawl itself, but they'll come up and tell me how great my outfit is when really I'm just wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket, but with a big ol' shawl scarf on top.

effika posted:

brown-ish grey because everything ran together?

That is my jam. Your hate-knit is going to come out as something wonderful. I posted a picture on Facebook of my stash and several friends mentioned that maybe I need to expand my color palette.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I haven't done any real knitting for several years due to some serious hand pain issues that ended up being pronator syndrome. After spending over $1000 on an MRI and six weeks of therapy last summer getting that resolved, I decided now that my hands don't hurt anymore, I should start knitting again, and the best way to do that was to buy $150 worth of yarn, sign up for a cable knit sweater class and knit a sweater in four weeks.

And so after 11 days, I have the back finished (currently in the middle of blocking). There are a ton of little mistakes because I decided I'd just have to accept them or I'd never get finished in time if I kept unkitting and reknitting. The class has now been switched to every other week instead of weekly, as the instructor "hadn't intended on forming a sweatshop." I have 12 days to finish the front, and I'm totally going to get it done (and hopefully not make as many mistakes, since I've had plenty of practice now).

Also, I learned how to do a Russian join, which is cool.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Anyone from the Bay Area going to Stitches West? I'm planning to go Saturday to the market all drat day long and participate in the stitch marker swap. I have an irrational love of stitch markers, although I only use like one kind ever on my actual projects.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I'm going to Stitches West Fri and Sat afternoon, I have a sock class and a sweater shaping class.

Oh Princess Animal in the Mission is closing at end of the month so get your books at 30% off and everything else 40% off! I snagged a sweater quantity of Madeline Tosh socks and a couple of other things. Figured I should save more of the yarn money for Stitches West, haha.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

jomiel posted:

I'm going to Stitches West Fri and Sat afternoon, I have a sock class and a sweater shaping class.

Oh Princess Animal in the Mission is closing at end of the month so get your books at 30% off and everything else 40% off! I snagged a sweater quantity of Madeline Tosh socks and a couple of other things. Figured I should save more of the yarn money for Stitches West, haha.

Oh drat, that's really sad! I liked Princess Animal a lot. It always felt a little lower key than the other big yarn shops in the area. Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

jomiel posted:

If you bought the skeins of Madeline Tosh sock that I have been eyeing, I am gonna cry.

Because I really need more yarn.... (no).

Also, Princess Animal kraft-ins are continuing, at least.