Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Select your neck to get chopped in the new protestant American crusade, maybe

They aint got the balls to do it hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Whatever, when it comes down to it I'll be the first to put on my 21st century neo templar tabard to renew the fight for Jesus

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know that "I know what's best for me and my family and I'll fight to the death to protect them" mentality that leads to Bible-based homeschooling, preppers and mumps being a thing in the 21st century? She's the political embodiment of that attitude.

Preppers?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Whatever, when it comes down to it I'll be the first to put on my 21st century neo templar tabard to renew the fight for Jesus

I have a feeling it will wind up like this

e: you know what I would be 100% ok with warhammer 40k being the future.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Ugh. We have friends who have gone this route. I really want to tell them that there is more to education than singing songs about Jesus.

They'll have a bright future as editors for Conservapedia.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

doomsday preppers

people who stock up on ammo and drinking water and wait for their chance to die when their canned beans expire in their basement bomb shelter

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
You guys remember when Russia (pretty much) shot down that airliner and got away with it... Heh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They straight up shot down a civilian airliner and all that came of it was the Netherlands begging them to send the bodies home

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You'd be amazed what you can get away with if you're an oil supplier. Just look at the Saudis!

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

They straight up shot down a civilian airliner and all that came of it was the Netherlands begging them to send the bodies home

And identity theft from the victims as the russkies pillaged the dead's belongings.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Untagged posted:

You guys remember when Russia (pretty much) shot down that airliner and got away with it... Heh.

That was pretty crazy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Untagged posted:

Do you mean the one from 1983 or 2014? :nsa:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

Do you have any non-crazy friends?

e: wrong thread

To be fair, really more my husband's friends.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbf to the US it would seem hypocritical if they didn't let someone else get away with shooting down a civilian airliner just one time

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

orange juche posted:

I'm sorry, unfortunately it is Darwinism at work pretty much. Idiots will self-select themselves out of the population.

Selection doesn't work like that. If they have kids and you don't then they are more reproductively fit, concretely. Scary, isn't it?

I know so many people who are like 'lol darwin awards' and also never having kids, effectively being so smart they are no longer the 'fittest'. Life is weird.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Selection doesn't work like that. If they have kids and you don't then they are more reproductively fit, concretely. Scary, isn't it?

I know so many people who are like 'lol darwin awards' and also never having kids, effectively being so smart they are no longer the 'fittest'. Life is weird.

that was pretty much the plot of idiocracy

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yeah. They have more kids than I do. And aren't done yet.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Whose fault is that though really

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If anything this country needs fewer people reproducing, like Japan or Denmark.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's why I've always supported 27% apr mustangs and driving to the bar with no plan to get home. It helps even out the numbers a bit.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

psydude posted:

If anything this country needs fewer people mouth-breathers reproducing, like Japan or Denmark.

I'm doing my part to out-breed the rabble.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

psydude posted:

If anything this country needs fewer people reproducing, like Japan or Denmark.

And yet, everyone gets upset when you talk about deliberately limiting the reproduction of the members of the population that are only able to thrive due to the artificial conditions created by 21st century technology while contributing nothing to maintaining those conditions...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'm doing my part to out-breed the rabble.

butt babies don't live, dude

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dead Reckoning posted:

And yet, everyone gets upset when you talk about deliberately limiting the reproduction

Rightfully so.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The world doesn't need any more Palins.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Whelp, I guess some goon on the net thinks that overpopulation isn't a problem. Someone inform the UN, case is closed.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

tbf to the US it would seem hypocritical if they didn't let someone else get away with shooting down a civilian airliner just one time

Russia's on like...at least airliner # 3 or #4, maybe more depending on how you define airliner and how far back you go, also if you count taking a shot at a 707 but only killing a couple people because the pilot was able to put it down on a frozen lake.

We just had that one time where the Vincennes went robo-cruiser had a crew who were idiots and ignored everything the system was telling them.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The world doesn't need any more Palins.

lol

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

WarpedNaba posted:

Whelp, I guess some goon on the net thinks that overpopulation isn't a problem. Someone inform the UN, case is closed.

Overpopulation isnt a problem and hasn't been for some time. Its tapering off and we'll top out around 11-12 billion. The UN knows all about it. Its a localized issue at best.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Where did you hear that?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

WarpedNaba posted:

1-I don't believe I said that.

2-People have been ringing the bell warning of overpopulation since Carthagenian times and, most famously, Thomas Malthus in the 19th century. Nonetheless, by a variety of indicators, we are probably approaching the limit of the planet to support additional humans. While you have to consider the ideological bent of the people advocating these beliefs, I don't think think that it would be too bold to say that the population growth we are experiencing is unsustainable. However, population limit tribunals, where only certain people in 1st world countries are allowed to reproduce(especially when one considers the declining fertility rates in 1st world countries) will not be sufficient to prevent or delay in any meaningful way actual human overpopulation and the conflict that would result. Instead, those efforts might be better focused in addressing issues specific to regions that experience high fertility rates. In the 1st world, effort might be better spent to reduce careless consumption and encourage conservation efforts.

Go back to adtrw you loving dork.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

WarpedNaba posted:

The UN still uses Malthus' "resources increase linearly while population increases exponentially" which doesn't take into account resource extraction and production technology.

A good example is food. An acre could only feed X amount of people a hundred years ago, Y amount 50 years ago, and now, Z. The number goes up via fertilizer, agricultural machinery, better seeds.

Another good example is shale oil. In the 1970's shale oil was considered to be worthless. Too expensive to extract, now, it's par for the course due to resource extraction technology improvements.

The problem hits with nations that do not upgrade, or upgrade properly.

Actually, I'll shut the hell up before I start sperging out about soil depletion/reclaimation and everything else.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Richard Bong posted:

Where did you hear that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation#Projections_of_population_growth

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Population drop also occurs when you no longer need 12 children to work the farm/factory/poo poo stirring business in order to keep the family afloat, as well as having 18 to ensure those 12 made it to 5 years old.

Birth control is a big help with population expansion, but not just in the straight "now loving don't mean more kids", but in the fact that you don't have parents having more kids to take care of kids to take care of them.

Easy access to clean water, good housing, nutrition laden food, and entertainment also slows down population expansion.

It takes a generation or two in non-farming communities for the population to drop, since that is a cultural thing. It's like how great grandma and great grandpa has 15 loving kids, grandpa and grandma had 7 kids, your parents had 4 kids, and you and your wife had 1-3 kids.

Without environmental and/or social pressures, it "appears" that standard family size is roughly 1.5 children. down from 2.5 during the 1950's, in First World and Second World countries.

Many countries are actually at a negative birthrate/population expansion if you remove immigration. Then you have the "gray bombs" waiting, where population graphs look like wine glasses, and that's another disaster waiting to happen, which often has the panic response of trying to buff up the numbers by encouraging breeding, but that's been largely mitigated by global immigration.

But holy poo poo, I could go on and on about this poo poo for days. Best set of classes I ever took.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Do you mean the one from 1983 or 2014? :nsa:

This needs more love.

:golfclap:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Overpopulation isnt a problem and hasn't been for some time. Its tapering off and we'll top out around 11-12 billion. The UN knows all about it. Its a localized issue at best.
On the other side of the coin, a billion Chinese people rapidly moving themselves from an agrarian society to a late 20th century industrial one has constituted one of the greatest ecological disasters in the history of the planet, and between desertification, ocean acidification and climate change, the biosphere probably can't handle the rest of the world's underdeveloped populations doing the same.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Dead Reckoning posted:

On the other side of the coin, a billion Chinese people rapidly moving themselves from an agrarian society to a late 20th century industrial one has constituted one of the greatest ecological disasters in the history of the planet, and between desertification, ocean acidification and climate change, the biosphere probably can't handle the rest of the world's underdeveloped populations doing the same.

It has and is. Chinas got a huge pollution problem from its factories which is in the long term perfectly reversible. The biosphere will be just fine. Climate change has been overblown and all the models predicting death and destruction, flooding out, have been dead wrong and climate scientists dont believe it anymore. (still an issue but not a mass die off issue).

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 27, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

It has and is. Chinas got a huge pollution problem from its factories which is in the long term perfectly reversible. The biosphere will be just fine. Climate change has been overblown and all the models predicting death and destruction, flooding out, have been dead wrong and climate scientists dont believe it anymore. (still an issue but not a mass die off issue).

lol ok

Exceptionally minor changes in climate have significant impacts in parts of the world where the line between having enough food and famine is really narrow. Unsurprisingly those parts of the world also tend to already be rather unstable for various reasons, so I'm sure adding in food and/or water shortages will make things 1000% better.

"not going to be the literal end of the human race" isn't really that comforting when the follow on is "but will still cause even more unrest and conflict in the developing world, because there's not enough there already."

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

That is one of the problems. We covered that whole thing for like 2 weeks, and all of the solutions just caused more problems. Like the US had serious growing pains in the past 150 years (the Army firing on striking coal miners, strike breakers, the Dust Bowl, tons of other stuff) China is going to have their own. Pollution can be cleared up (Lake Eerie once caught on loving fire) but at the cost of billions of dollars, which China is going to have to do. Then you have the "ghost cities" problems, which is tons of problems down the road as those cities decay and pollutants enter the ground water.

What's hosed up, is the solution is obvious, but WILL NOT loving HAPPEN, because of human nature. The Green Revolution (the real one, not that hosed up one about "Going Green" that everyone thinks is part of it) did a lot for ensuring food crops (which did everything from new farming techniques to using war-time chemical/fabric/vehicle/explosives manufacturing for resource expansion) and the like.

Goddamn it, I said I was going to stop.

Anyway, with climate change added in, China might be facing a serious dust-bowl issue, the rising water will cause salination of coastal farming areas, and a lot of other problems. There will be a lot of 'lost land' happening, till it reverses down the line, which will cause additional problems.

The thing is, the population problem is there, there's a lot of problems that could be fixed if we pullled together or humans were rational actors (neither will ever happen), but overpopulation is less "there's nowhere to put everyone!" and more "resources are being allocated improperly, food is less an issue of production and more an issue of transportation and profit, and water is now considered a luxury" that are coming down.

It's a complex issue, and I seriously considered changing my major, but the VA doesn't let you jump stream in the 2nd year.

Goddamn it, I'm gonna go play C:BE and stream it and be an rear end in a top hat instead of going into lecture mode. This isn't Thursday loving Training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Geography courses?

• Locked thread