Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Englishman alone posted:

My masters was 15,000 (10% either way)Kings collage london on a war studies. So 10k is within an expected length for a diss in the uk(besides when doing a diss keeping it in the word count is far greater than getting it to the count as least for me and my mates)

Behold, The King's Collage, it's not dry yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

unpacked robinhood posted:

Behold, The King's Collage, it's not dry yet.

That was pretty short for a diss.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Englishman alone posted:

My masters was 15,000 (10% either way)Kings collage london on a war studies. So 10k is within an expected length for a diss in the uk(besides when doing a diss keeping it in the word count is far greater than getting it to the count as least for me and my mates)

Maybe it's a matter of terminology then. When I hear “dissertation”, I think doctoral, not Masters or below — those are theses. Yes, 10–15k is what I expect for a thesis, but even then, bare minimum is still something I'd label as “very short” (but then, if he spent another 10k+ on “appendix and bibliography” at that point, he'd be 1) badly organised, and 2) out of bounds on the length, and fail anyway).

Tippis has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 24, 2015

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Englishman alone posted:

My PhD was around 33,000 words, though that was an article collection so it contained around the same number of words extra for previously published papers, and that's in CS, which is not necessarily the epitome of conciseness, nor was my thesis the shortest ever to be published. All in all, 10k is not ridiculously short. Not BIG as the Kickstarter alludes to.

Speaking of… IndieGogo apparently has some quality control. I set up a crowdfunder to invade a smaller African country, and it got taken down after only one week and my account shut down. I did get to keep the $5 I had earned (flexible funding, of course).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

klafbang posted:

Speaking of… IndieGogo apparently has some quality control. I set up a crowdfunder to invade a smaller African country, and it got taken down after only one week and my account shut down. I did get to keep the $5 I had earned (flexible funding, of course).

So when does the invasion start?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zybourne Clock posted:

Remember that Battle-armor Barbie Kickstarter from a few months ago? Well, its creator has returned with a follow up project that is every bit as crazy as the original. I don't see why anyone would buy the product, but at least he sells something unique and his presentation is entertaining.

At least he's also admitting that this isn't really for the Barbie's Cat Chariot, but upgrading his workshop to mass produce his work. The Cat Chariot is already largely made and he will eventually distribute the files on Thingiverse, like he did with the battle armor. It's just that he's offering the Cat Chariot and other tchockies as incentive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bad Munki posted:

So when does the invasion start?

Come on - flexible funding, and you expect to get anything out of it?

(Plus, the goal was $10.)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

Come on - flexible funding, and you expect to get anything out of it?

Hey, we were in talks with the bank to provide financing of an aircraft carrier. For some reason they didn't take us particularly seriously. They also didn't subscribe to our conviction that repayment would be no issue, because as soon as we'd get a multi-billion loan, we'd get an aircraft carrier and then we wouldn't have to pay back as we would be able to defend ourselves against any loan collectors using the power of an aircraft carrier.

Our next project was "biorhythm calibration," which is a technique where we use radiation from your computer monitor to influence your biorhythms thereby tuning you for, say, a job interview or a date. It came complete with fake testimonials, $10 free certificates, and even more fake biorhythms we didn't just steal from the internet but made up ourselves. Unfortunately, we were too lazy to set up even a no-effort flexible funding IGG. That and too much of a conscience to try and pull it off straight-faced.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

klafbang posted:

Our next project was "biorhythm calibration," which is a technique where we use radiation from your computer monitor to influence your biorhythms thereby tuning you for, say, a job interview or a date.

Um this is stupid, everyone knows that biorhythm calibration can only be achieved with a combination of healing crystals, de-ionized water and magnets.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lorn Wayne posted:

Um this is stupid, everyone knows that biorhythm calibration can only be achieved with a combination of healing crystals, de-ionized water and magnets.

Dammit you reminded me of that dumb alkaline water Kickstarter :argh:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
*Pushes face into camera and whispers "I'm going for the bonus question"* This "MTV of the Internet" will stay on the air for however long it takes the first contestant to pull down his pants.

I want to make a Kickstarter video but the kids at school make fun of my acne and high-pitched voice. But with the help of this tiger mask and Microsoft's Text-to-Speech software, I can move past those insecurities.

My idea for a website is so amazing that I cannot share it with you today. Yeah, I was all too happy to share it with a bunch of companies, but they're surely not going to steal it. Just give me ten grand already so I can hire some programmers, OK?

Energy relativity method determine and predict value and cores, it avoid uncertainty and build perfect relationship within minutes.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

quote:

Gary Chen
Fremont, CA
Ancient Asian energy reader for person
Feng Shui Master
Computer H/W BDM.

With credentials like that, we can be assured he knows his stuff!

edit: also that pitch is weird, at first it reads like some sort of Autists Guide to Humans app, but then his bio talks about this sort of new-age philosophical stuff. :psyduck:

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Jan 26, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zybourne Clock posted:

My idea for a website is so amazing that I cannot share it with you today. Yeah, I was all too happy to share it with a bunch of companies, but they're surely not going to steal it. Just give me ten grand already so I can hire some programmers, OK?

We have reached peak Original Idea Do Not Steal.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Need help sleeping? Here, spray this melatonin on yourself and maybe something will happen?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sprayable-sleep-sleep-you-spray-on-your-skin

100k+ raised

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

ce gars posted:

Need help sleeping? Here, spray this melatonin on yourself and maybe something will happen?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sprayable-sleep-sleep-you-spray-on-your-skin

100k+ raised

quote:

Imagine if you could fall asleep at the push of a button. If you could stay asleep as long as you needed, and fall back asleep easily even if awoken in the middle of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chbFc4KqT6Y&t=198s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What a lovely idea, that is of course doing well because nobody thinks it through. Sprayable sleep? Sounds great, take my money!

Except you're just spraying melatonin, which isn't exactly sleep-in-a-can to begin with. Taking high strength melatonin will only sometimes help you sleep at all, depending upon why you can't get to sleep it may not address the root issue whatsoever. And taking melatonin every day is pretty useless, your body gets used to having more. Plus having too much melatoin in your system can make it really hard to get to sleep, and if you're just spraying the poo poo all over yourself are you really measuring it and waiting for it to kick in?

Wait, it probably doesn't even get absorbed through your skin properly.

quote:

Sprayable Sleep is the world’s first topical melatonin spray – which helps you get to sleep when you need to – without harsh, addictive chemicals, or ineffective gimmicks.

:ironicat:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"help fund a vasectomy for this fuckhead", the Kickstarter says. He'll film the whole procedure and for $20 you get to see it.

I need 5000 Swedish crowns to recreate all of Kramer's wierd business ideas. 350 SEK (~$42) gets you my first creation: a statue made of pasta. Wacky.

Uncle Charly likes to grill when it's cold outside. But how do you keep the grill warm when it's freezing? With a loving blanket, of course. None of the reward tiers will actually get you the advertised product. Instead you get a bottle of hot sauce.

No, this isn't your first game. You've made two kickstarters before, one of which was little more than a render of a gourd.

You know what would be cool? A simulation game in which you get to play as a police officer doing his regular day job. He's got nothing to show us yet besides a watermarked picture of a police car, but don't worry: his buddy is going to help him make this game.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I need another game where I cut down motherfucking trees!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zybourne Clock posted:

I need 5000 Swedish crowns to recreate all of Kramer's wierd business ideas. 350 SEK (~$42) gets you my first creation: a statue made of pasta. Wacky.

Where the hell is a pizzeria where customers make their own pizzas? If you go Kramer, go full Kramer. :colbert:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Paladinus posted:

Where the hell is a pizzeria where customers make their own pizzas? If you go Kramer, go full Kramer. :colbert:

That's basically what Pie Five already does, though. You pick your crust, sauce, cheese, meats, vegetables, and then watch as your pie is carried on a conveyor belt through an oven.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

That's basically what Pie Five already does, though. You pick your crust, sauce, cheese, meats, vegetables, and then watch as your pie is carried on a conveyor belt through an oven.

Well, America, you've done it again. Dreams come true and captains of industry are awarded for their hard work.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Well, America, you've done it again. Dreams come true and captains of industry are awarded for their hard work.

They aren't the only make your own pizza chain in the U.S. either. Blaze pizza is drat good. Some days you just want red sauce, cream sauce, pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, applewood bacon, grilled chicken, basil, and garlic pizza. The only problem is it too easy to add so many things that you can make your pizza not cook as well. They do it a subway style where you go along the line and people add whatever you want. I don't care how fat I sound, I love the place.

http://www.blazepizza.com/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shwqa posted:

They aren't the only make your own pizza chain in the U.S. either. Blaze pizza is drat good. Some days you just want red sauce, cream sauce, pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, applewood bacon, grilled chicken, basil, and garlic pizza. The only problem is it too easy to add so many things that you can make your pizza not cook as well. They do it a subway style where you go along the line and people add whatever you want. I don't care how fat I sound, I love the place.

http://www.blazepizza.com/

I'm a huge fan of places like this because a lot of restaurants add stuff that I don't like to otherwise really awesome meals, and it gets awkward when you want to remove two or three items off a burger or something during the order to make it perfect for your tastes. So the idea is really quite sound for the most part.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm a huge fan of places like this because a lot of restaurants add stuff that I don't like to otherwise really awesome meals, and it gets awkward when you want to remove two or three items off a burger or something during the order to make it perfect for your tastes. So the idea is really quite sound for the most part.

Most pizza places let you do a build your own. I can't think of one I've been to that doesn't except for maybe like places where you order by the slice out of a warmer. So it doesn't seem like it adds much more than the experience of watching your pizza be put together.

The counterpoint to build-your-own places is Subway. They often defer to you so much that you don't even know what the gently caress to ask for to make a sandwich that's similar to what you're looking at in the picture of the tasty sandwich you're looking at on the menu. It's this weird thing where they're almost expecting YOU to know how to make all the sandwiches on the menu. I'm not a guy who's real big on control, though. I kind of want someone to say, "this is a great combination of ingredients, loving eat it," and that's why I like Jimmy John's. I can't tell you all of the ingredients of their veggie sandwich or the italian night club. However, I can tell you they are both loving fantastic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ErIog posted:

Most pizza places let you do a build your own. I can't think of one I've been to that doesn't except for maybe like places where you order by the slice out of a warmer. So it doesn't seem like it adds much more than the experience of watching your pizza be put together.

The counterpoint to build-your-own places is Subway. They often defer to you so much that you don't even know what the gently caress to ask for to make a sandwich that's similar to what you're looking at in the picture of the tasty sandwich you're looking at on the menu. It's this weird thing where they're almost expecting YOU to know how to make all the sandwiches on the menu. I'm not a guy who's real big on control, though. I kind of want someone to say, "this is a great combination of ingredients, loving eat it," and that's why I like Jimmy John's. I can't tell you all of the ingredients of their veggie sandwich or the italian night club. However, I can tell you they are both loving fantastic.

We need to get a "build a burger" place here in Orlando. There's spots where you can even choose your exact meat, to say nothing of toppings and degree of cooking.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zybourne Clock posted:

"help fund a vasectomy for this fuckhead", the Kickstarter says. He'll film the whole procedure and for $20 you get to see it.

He'd have a much easier time getting the money if he instead offered to have himself filmed being tied up and castrated by a dominatrix

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You guys don't understand Kramer's pizza idea. They give you the dough, the sauce, the cheese... you pound it, slap it, you flip it up into the air... you put your toppings on and you slide it into the oven! It looks like all of those places have workers make your pizza.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

wa27 posted:

You guys don't understand Kramer's pizza idea. They give you the dough, the sauce, the cheese... you pound it, slap it, you flip it up into the air... you put your toppings on and you slide it into the oven! It looks like all of those places have workers make your pizza.

So it is like buying pizza dough, pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings at the store, but way more expensive?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well of course you don't have a pizza oven. :smug:

That's how they make the pizza taste so good.

That and cornmeal.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well of course you don't have a pizza oven. :smug:

That's how they make the pizza taste so good.

That and cornmeal.

Jokes on you. I do use corn meal :smug:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

chitoryu12 posted:

Sarpino's in Austin is awesome for build-your-own pizza, they've got all the normal ingredients and then like 5-6 additional sauces, all sorts of odd veggies and meats (shrimp and gyro meat come to mind) and 8-9 different cheeses. You can pile as much as you want on a pizza and it'll end up being $17 for a personal but dammit it's exactly how you wanted it

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

it gets awkward when you want to remove two or three items off a burger or something during the order to make it perfect for your tastes.
What is wrong with you?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

chitoryu12 posted:

You can ask them not to put pickles on your hamburger or something. What kind of weird restaurants are you going to?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Elysiume posted:

You can ask them not to put pickles on your hamburger or something. What kind of weird restaurants are you going to?

Ot is perfectly reasonable to imagine a situation where you would want to, say, order the double cheddar angus burger but without onions and tomato slices and with ketchup instead of the bbq sauce. This is awkward because from experience you know half the time the waiter will get it wrong.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eat the burger you babies.

e: my favorite memory from my trip to the us was this fat kid removing the one invisible salad leaf from his greasy burger with a disgusted expression. loving salad :barf:

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jan 27, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kickstarting my nazi hookup app. It's called Hitlr. I can't tell you the specifics except I'm not a programmer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm kickstarting my nazi hookup app. It's called Hitlr. I can't tell you the specifics except I'm not a programmer

You're very very late to this party

https://hitlrblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/29/what-is-hitlr/

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zybourne Clock posted:

You know what would be cool? A simulation game in which you get to play as a police officer doing his regular day job. He's got nothing to show us yet besides a watermarked picture of a police car, but don't worry: his buddy is going to help him make this game.

quote:

This is a very infant idea as I just thought of this.

I have decided that the driving physics will be superb

you will have a fuel gage that you will have to periodically fill up

My friend is also interested in this project and will be glad to help out so at least I'm not alone

feature many little details this will make it super realistic and have great graphics

am not in the know with any major software cooperations such as Rockstar. I would like to know how I am going to be able to learn how to build the game itself.

I have an OK knowledge of how to program apps with Alice software on PC.

In addition the the fre game and spot on the credits, you can opt to be an extra in the game itself!

loving lol. If it wasn't for the picture of the hipster douchebag I would swear this was written by a ten year old.

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Jan 27, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I googled it before posting because it seemed obvious but it isn't on page 1 so it doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LORE's half of Manandtaur and one leg of HATE TROLL TIM inspired more confidence.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Ironically, a better Kickstarter about being a bad cop: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43328422/this-is-the-police