Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
DiPallo podcast treads some of the same old poo poo. Fallon Fox, feminists, DMT, etc but its pretty worthwhile overall. Good rapport and finding out about Jones live.

Brian Stann on today too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Magnus and Alex is a must listen if you are a car guy. Especially if you are a Porsche guy. Ari and Joey were good as always. I don't like Duncan, so I'm not a good judge of the recent Ari/Duncan one.

Katy Bowman was a really interesting listen as far as her philosophy on movement and the body. Joe gets hung up on her kids not being sick ever, and I think she isn't being completely straightforward with Joe about that, but besides the derail there an interesting listen with some half baked pseudoscience behind what she's preaching.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I saw on twitter last night Dave Foley, Maura Tierney, Andy Dick, Stephen Root, Khandi Alexander and a producer/writer for NewsRadio are having a 20th anniversary show in San Francisco later this year but Joe's name isn't on the list. Possibly because of Andy Dick, I wonder? Barring scheduling difficulties of course.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

beep by grandpa posted:

I saw on twitter last night Dave Foley, Maura Tierney, Andy Dick, Stephen Root, Khandi Alexander and a producer/writer for NewsRadio are having a 20th anniversary show in San Francisco later this year but Joe's name isn't on the list. Possibly because of Andy Dick, I wonder? Barring scheduling difficulties of course.

That's weird, when he was on the Nerdist, Joe said that he was going to that. He also said he would probably cry for sure.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

That's weird, when he was on the Nerdist, Joe said that he was going to that. He also said he would probably cry for sure.

It's actually at SF SketchFest, and it's tonight. He's not there because he's in Sweden to call the Gustafsson fight.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I thought Rogan patched things up with Andy Duck? He was on the podcast but how wouldn't tell Andy his address or something?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Viper_3000 posted:

Katy Bowman was a really interesting listen as far as her philosophy on movement and the body. Joe gets hung up on her kids not being sick ever, and I think she isn't being completely straightforward with Joe about that, but besides the derail there an interesting listen with some half baked pseudoscience behind what she's preaching.

I listen in 30 minutes bursts on my commute, just got to the part where she claims her kids don't get sick because "they move constantly" and "moving filters your lymphatic system". When he grilled her about how she watches Netflix/writes her books it killed me. She's all :smug: "oh, I sit on the floor or lay on my stomach blah blah you see I keep changing positions, I keep moving, which is a type of exercise." I'm like bitch everybody does that, nobody sits in the same exact position for a long period of time unless they're really old and they have to pay someone to come flip you over so you don't get bedsores. Chick is definitely a little bit nuts. I was intrigued at first but now she sounds like a delusional future cult leader. He energy and language use reminded me a lot of a politician or a snake oil salesperson. I mean saying doing this one particular thing that NO ONE ELSE does BOOSTS your immune system...yeah, just stop talking because you're full of poo poo. And buy a couch, moron, what are you gonna tell grandma when she comes to visit?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Omglosser posted:

I listen in 30 minutes bursts on my commute, just got to the part where she claims her kids don't get sick because "they move constantly" and "moving filters your lymphatic system". When he grilled her about how she watches Netflix/writes her books it killed me. She's all :smug: "oh, I sit on the floor or lay on my stomach blah blah you see I keep changing positions, I keep moving, which is a type of exercise." I'm like bitch everybody does that, nobody sits in the same exact position for a long period of time unless they're really old and they have to pay someone to come flip you over so you don't get bedsores. Chick is definitely a little bit nuts. I was intrigued at first but now she sounds like a delusional future cult leader. He energy and language use reminded me a lot of a politician or a snake oil salesperson. I mean saying doing this one particular thing that NO ONE ELSE does BOOSTS your immune system...yeah, just stop talking because you're full of poo poo. And buy a couch, moron, what are you gonna tell grandma when she comes to visit?

I mean, it's semi-true. Your lymphatic system has no central pump and most lymphatic vessels are positioned next to skeletal muscles, using their contractions to move lymph throughout your body. Getting me to believe that not having furniture makes my immune system 30x better or whatever it is she's claiming is ridiculous, and I still think her kids get sick and she isn't being honest, but I can let that slide for entertainment.

EDIT: And loving Vaccinate your kids you god drat moron. Jesus, when she gets to that part I lose it. Especially considering that she has a loving doctorate in science. I learned this poo poo in my basic Microbiology class in undergrad.

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006

Smeed posted:

I thought Rogan patched things up with Andy Duck? He was on the podcast but how wouldn't tell Andy his address or something?

They had a podcast together years ago when he started the podcast and had to do it at Redban's house because Joe didn't want Andy at his place. Redban remarked that they were like The Odd Couple.

Here is a vid of the aftermath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpEifRwi0s

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
the shane smith podcast is loving insane. The cancer segment just blew my god drat dick off

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

ChristianDB posted:

the shane smith podcast is loving insane. The cancer segment just blew my god drat dick off

Same here. Hearing that episode made me want to go work for Vice.

Viper_3000 posted:

I mean, it's semi-true. Your lymphatic system has no central pump and most lymphatic vessels are positioned next to skeletal muscles, using their contractions to move lymph throughout your body. Getting me to believe that not having furniture makes my immune system 30x better or whatever it is she's claiming is ridiculous, and I still think her kids get sick and she isn't being honest, but I can let that slide for entertainment.

EDIT: And loving Vaccinate your kids you god drat moron. Jesus, when she gets to that part I lose it. Especially considering that she has a loving doctorate in science. I learned this poo poo in my basic Microbiology class in undergrad.

Yeah her logic gets effed up there, she claims her kids don't get sick so why vaccinate? :smug: "Vaccination is really to benefit the weaker members of the population." Even if that were true, she travels the world picking up and dropping off all kinds of fun communicable diseases. Then she has the nads to drop the most unbelievable poo poo after saying all that: "my son has only had a fever like two times in his life"

Plus she's big on this concept of "casts", which is a smart and innovative idea, yes. But I think she misses the point that she's not immune to it. Carrying her kids everywhere is in of itself a "cast". She needs to refine or better communicate this idea. Or just remove her ego from it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Omglosser posted:

Same here. Hearing that episode made me want to go work for Vice.

Yeah her logic gets effed up there, she claims her kids don't get sick so why vaccinate? :smug: "Vaccination is really to benefit the weaker members of the population." Even if that were true, she travels the world picking up and dropping off all kinds of fun communicable diseases. Then she has the nads to drop the most unbelievable poo poo after saying all that: "my son has only had a fever like two times in his life"

Plus she's big on this concept of "casts", which is a smart and innovative idea, yes. But I think she misses the point that she's not immune to it. Carrying her kids everywhere is in of itself a "cast". She needs to refine or better communicate this idea. Or just remove her ego from it.

It's gonna be like twelve hours of content before I get to that episode, so can you expand on what you mean by casts?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

It's gonna be like twelve hours of content before I get to that episode, so can you expand on what you mean by casts?

She defines it as any kind of "limited" action with your body is a cast, comparing it to when you break your arm you wear a cast, and while in that cast, your muscles atrophy and you lose strength, flexibility, and range of motion. So one of her examples is that we have a "cast" on our eyes in the form of staring at screens all day. Most people spend most of their 'seeing' time looking at our phones, computer/television screens, the walls in our house, the bumper ahead of us on the road, etc, mostly within a 20 ft radius. She argues that there are health benefits to be had spending time looking at things far, far away to balance out the overwhelming near-sight we experience. That also translates into any other physical part of our body, like if you spend 90% of your day sitting that is a cast on your hips, legs, heart, etc. Even if you go to the gym, doing the same lifting exercises all the time is a type of cast in that other muscles go unused/unchallenged. She also calls shoes a cast on our feet, wants you to think about the possibilities of a lifestyle without these types of casts, as though we were still living like our tribal hunter/gatherer ancestors.

I like the idea, her conceitedness kind of turns me off though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Omglosser posted:

She defines it as any kind of "limited" action with your body is a cast, comparing it to when you break your arm you wear a cast, and while in that cast, your muscles atrophy and you lose strength, flexibility, and range of motion. So one of her examples is that we have a "cast" on our eyes in the form of staring at screens all day. Most people spend most of their 'seeing' time looking at our phones, computer/television screens, the walls in our house, the bumper ahead of us on the road, etc, mostly within a 20 ft radius. She argues that there are health benefits to be had spending time looking at things far, far away to balance out the overwhelming near-sight we experience. That also translates into any other physical part of our body, like if you spend 90% of your day sitting that is a cast on your hips, legs, heart, etc. Even if you go to the gym, doing the same lifting exercises all the time is a type of cast in that other muscles go unused/unchallenged. She also calls shoes a cast on our feet, wants you to think about the possibilities of a lifestyle without these types of casts, as though we were still living like our tribal hunter/gatherer ancestors.

I like the idea, her conceitedness kind of turns me off though.

If only she wasn't loving retarded in regards to how mammal's immune systems functions.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is Rogan's stand-up any good? I really like Norm Mcdonald and Bill Burr if that can help size the kinds of humor I like seeing on stage.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I saw him on tour a year or two ago doing material from his last special and it seemed to me like it was just stuff he talked about on his podcast. My wife didn't think it was funny. I was impressed with Ari though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Odddzy posted:

Is Rogan's stand-up any good? I really like Norm Mcdonald and Bill Burr if that can help size the kinds of humor I like seeing on stage.

It's not really all that funny. It's really just a podcast condensed down into a set and without a guest. It's not bad, but it's not really going to make you laugh.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Aren't those called "Spoken Word" rather than "Stand Up" tho?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kunster posted:

Aren't those called "Spoken Word" rather than "Stand Up" tho?

He's telling jokes and doing bits, it's just that they're all things you're going to hear on the podcast in a less concentrated form. It's by no means bad or anything, just not really haha funny. Not if you're more into Norm McDonald and Bill Burr.

Edit: It's the type of thing where you listen and you'll smile because it's amusing, not laugh because it's funny. With the obvious caveat that everyone finds different things funny and what has you rolling on the floor won't necessarily do the same to me.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 1, 2015

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I thought his last special was decent. I wouldn't group him in with the greats but I think he's solid. I agree it's all podcast stuff though. It's strange but I enjoy all the deathsquad guys on their podcasts more than their actual stand up. Except Brian though, he's just bad all the time.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Odddzy posted:

Joe is garbage compared to those 2

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Skip My Posts posted:

Joe is garbage compared to those 2

Thanks, I wont lose my time then.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
If you're judging every other comedian to Burr's latest special, you're most likely going to come up short.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JGdmn posted:

If you're judging every other comedian to Burr's latest special, you're most likely going to come up short.

Short, but not Joe Rogan short, hes not even in their level

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His most recent special is definitely better than Live at the Tabernacle, but it's still not that great. Having his shows filled with nothing but podcast fans who'll laugh regardless of what he's saying has really hurt his comedy, not that it was amazing to begin with.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I loved his latest special.. I guess I'm a mouth breather, so what is good comedy these days? Bill Burr? Ill check him out, in the meantime let's keep hating Rogan in this dedicated thread

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I liked Shiny Happy Jihad and Talking Monkeys in Space a surprising amount (I had never heard his comedy or his podcast at the time and only knew him from FF and his color commentary). Live at the Tabernacle was okay, but was too much of his podcast topics delivered to podcast fans. Haven't gotten around to his latest, but I'm looking forward to it.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

XIII posted:

I liked Shiny Happy Jihad and Talking Monkeys in Space a surprising amount (I had never heard his comedy or his podcast at the time and only knew him from FF and his color commentary). Live at the Tabernacle was okay, but was too much of his podcast topics delivered to podcast fans. Haven't gotten around to his latest, but I'm looking forward to it.

when you do watch the audience. The fake applause and cheering is really something.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 2, 2015

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dhrusis posted:

I loved his latest special.. I guess I'm a mouth breather,

Another mouth breather here. I've always enjoyed his material and delivery.

Evil Agita posted:

when you do watch the audience. The fake applause and cheering is really something.

Don't they edit the audience in comedy specials from multiple nights of taping or at least edit reactions taken from different parts of the show?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

dhrusis posted:

I loved his latest special.. I guess I'm a mouth breather, so what is good comedy these days? Bill Burr? Ill check him out, in the meantime let's keep hating Rogan in this dedicated thread

This is the dedicated Joe Rogan podcast thread not the Joe Rogan stand-up thread. I haven't seen anyone say they hate him either, all that's been said is his stand-up is kind of weak.

If you don't like it when people criticize the things you like then I've got some bad news for you about the internet...

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

beep by grandpa posted:

This is the dedicated Joe Rogan podcast thread not the Joe Rogan stand-up thread. I haven't seen anyone say they hate him either, all that's been said is his stand-up is kind of weak.

If you don't like it when people criticize the things you like then I've got some bad news for you about the internet...

O rly? No seriously I'm not butthurt about it but I do think it's p humorous that this thread tends to have a real critical vibe, but yeah, :internet:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

dhrusis posted:

I loved his latest special.. I guess I'm a mouth breather
Hmmm let's see...

dhrusis posted:

O rly? No seriously I'm not butthurt about it but I do think it's p humorous that this thread tends to have a real critical vibe, but yeah, :internet:
Yea, sounds about right.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
If the thread seems critical, its because when this podcast is good, its one of the best, and when its bad it loving blows.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

hot sauce posted:

Another mouth breather here. I've always enjoyed his material and delivery.

Don't they edit the audience in comedy specials from multiple nights of taping or at least edit reactions taken from different parts of the show?

Sure I understand they do that, his new special just does a terrible job at it. They'll do an audience shot with with mad cheering and applause but the visual of the audience group shot just shows silence and some clapping. Check it out, if it wasn't super easy to notice I wouldn't have mentioned it. Reminds me of the fake cheers they used to do in old school boxing.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

dhrusis posted:

You're a pretty cool dude

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

You're a pretty cool dude

He should do comedy, he'd be really good at it, he's one of the funniest people I know. He should do his own podcast too, he'd have so much poo poo to talk about, and is so funny. Just don't let Social Justice Warriors derail any attempts. Actually, you can't say "social justice warrior" anymore, you're not allowed, they get upset.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bill burr is one of the best and norm is the funniest man alive so it's a tough comparison

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

always be closing posted:

If the thread seems critical, its because when this podcast is good, its one of the best, and when its bad it loving blows.

this is the only reason why I come back ..seems like the good ones are less common once you get a hold of the central themes, so yeah I understand the vibe

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Honestly dude there is not a single thread on Something Awful about any work of media that is 100% positive except for maybe the UYD thread (which it deserves ofc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

beep by grandpa posted:

Honestly dude there is not a single thread on Something Awful about any work of media that is 100% positive except for maybe the UYD thread (which it deserves ofc).

Even then there were a couple of pages where they got worked up about Jonathan saying human being

Also the MBMBAM thread, that one's a monolithic pile of hugs