Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I'm kind of getting that feeling. It's a bit more jumpy, it doesn't flow as well. The latest update was a lot better than most of the previous ones in this chapter, because people actually stopped to talk to each other for a bit, let some world- and character-building happen, and generally stopped (physically) fighting all the drat time.

Still leagues ahead of any other long-form web fiction I've read though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Taking a month off at a time is the way to go.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Another decent-ish chapter but I hope Fayzal isn't really the big bad guy because that would be completely out of nowhere.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So they burn through Mara's friendship with the local spirits that she cultivated for twenty six thousand years with only a handful of lies? This universe is loving brutal.

Anyway, regarding the ending; Faysal was originally send out to stop Johannes from claiming such a gigantic domain right? Could be that was his intention all along, and now sinking Johannes domain into the Abyss would probably qualify as 'taken care of'.

e. Also, I don't recall Mara swearing anything, let alone forswearing herself. Are we supposed to assume this happened between chapters while they were working on her house etc?

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 27, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Well, it looks like this is pretty much the start of the climax. Wildbow says there are only 20 updates or so left.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Bad dog. :mad:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei has been right all along.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

So we finally have the long-awaited Johannes Histories. He seems like a pretty cool guy. If I read the ending correctly; Faysal knows that Johannes would have failed in the end, so he possesses Johannes to ensure he can complete the demesnes ritual and be able to fulfill his long-term plan for Barbatorem in the long run? I'm beginning to doubt whether I'm just being a dumb-dumb about this series or whether it is not always clearly written what is going on.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

So we finally have the long-awaited Johannes Histories. He seems like a pretty cool guy. If I read the ending correctly; Faysal knows that Johannes would have failed in the end, so he possesses Johannes to ensure he can complete the demesnes ritual and be able to fulfill his long-term plan for Barbatorem in the long run? I'm beginning to doubt whether I'm just being a dumb-dumb about this series or whether it is not always clearly written what is going on.

Nah. Faysal predicts the long term outcome of johannes's plan and decided it suits his purpose, so he becomes his familiar to keep a close and ensure it goes the way he wants. I'm not sure what it is he wants exactly, though. The possession was in the current time line, with them all in the Abyss.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh man this arc name puts all sorts of amazing ideas into my head.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, kathryn broke fast

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip johannes. some would say you flew too close to the sun, but i think the sun can go gently caress itself.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Dude was kind of a hero, in his own way, too bad the dog took notice of him really.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Looks like all kinds of plans are about to start unraveling fast. From Johannes' Demesne ritual: "This demesne is forfeit when I have passed from this mortal coil."

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Is Johannes dead, though? The Barber is a demon of ruination, and he's been making his own minions. I could imagine him keeping Johannes alive as a mindless, crippled servant.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one can hope he died in the fall.

what the gently caress is that thing in the pillar though anyway

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
That was probably the best chapter in months. Finally a slow down in the nutty action and some dialogue and neat world building.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's time for the ultimate showdown. :toot:

Edit: Also, there's totally an implied "nine tenths of the law" joke in the arc title. :haw:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 17, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Seems to me what Rose and Blake really need is some sort of soul glue.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now's a good time to catch up if you've fallen behind, it's getting good again as we approach the finale.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
odds that there's some twist yet to be found in this scene?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

110%.

Also, Blake is going Full Taylor.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Faysal never specifically says on whose side he is; his statements can be interpreted either way.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Faysal never specifically says on whose side he is; his statements can be interpreted either way.

I'm basically 100% sure that "these pests" means the motes regardless. They're a way higher-priority target than the ragged band of heroes.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Well, that was put to rest easily (no spoilers because they are the very first lines of the next chapter);

quote:

“When you say pests, or ‘help’, you wouldn’t mean, say, those imp things being pests and you helping us?” Peter asked.

“No,” Faysal said.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I really like that rather than some sort of great cosmic opposites angels and demons are rather just opposite sides of the same coin. That "coin" being stagnation through lack of change.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Whelp, looks like everything's hosed. Time for someone to drop it all in the Abyss and evacuate reality.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Man these last few chapters have been really great, it is too bad pact was so much non stop action instead of character interaction and world building.

There was no real ramping up, Blake was just constantly in over his head and never really did anything all that clever with magic. He has always brute forced things for the most part with a few exceptions.

I guess since he never had a chance to truly learn magic/how to be a practitioner it was the best we could get. I would have really preferred some magic training arcs and cool magic stuff happening more.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Chekhov's Bazooka! :neckbeard:

Also, I wish we'd gotten more time before now in Rose's head.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Chekhov's Bazooka! :neckbeard:

Yeah, I was just thinking that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So is Rose pretty much the protagonist now? It seems like Blake is getting absorbed into Rose.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think blake is just doing his best to avoid messing with rose's flow, so he's largely experiencing her experiences as a third person narrator :v:

they can't merge back together, the way barbatorem cut ross up means that the ragged edges would tear them to pieces if they tried

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I get the feeling that Blake is gradually surrendering himself to help Rose win. But I'm not sure.

But what i can say is I'm REALLY liking Pact at the moment. now that we've got a bit more into people and plot and worldbuilding and a bit less RUNFIGHTRUNFIGHTRUNFIGHTABYSSFIGHTRUNRUNFIGHT stuff, it's knocking along nicely.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

One voice broke the silence.

“Penis!” a small goblin cried out. “Peeeenissssssss! Penispenispenis-”

this is the best example i've seen regarding what separates goblins from demons in the pact universe. i'm not even joking.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It doesn't feel like there's enough time to wrap things up nicely if we're only 1-2 arcs from the end.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

thespaceinvader posted:

I get the feeling that Blake is gradually surrendering himself to help Rose win. But I'm not sure.

But what i can say is I'm REALLY liking Pact at the moment. now that we've got a bit more into people and plot and worldbuilding and a bit less RUNFIGHTRUNFIGHTRUNFIGHTABYSSFIGHTRUNRUNFIGHT stuff, it's knocking along nicely.

Yeah. :3: He recognised what his problems were a couple of arcs ago and is writing a lot better as a result, I'm checking and looking forward to each chapter of this again.

I agree it would have been cool to have a more Harry Potter-ish view of the magic though, even as a side story. We never really got to see what it could do and some proper lessons in the basic fundamentals rather than just Blake having to work it out as he went along would have been cool.

Also RIP Blake. :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I was hoping for more conversation in the new chapter, but at least Evan gets something very important to him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hope evan can phoenix his way out of this :ohdear:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was hoping for more conversation in the new chapter, but at least Evan gets something very important to him.

I grinned so hard. It had to happen, it paid off nicely, then in true wildbow style, it went to poo poo sooo fast when it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I found out Wildbow has insight in low screentime characters and his writing process scattered around the internet. Mostly for Worm. Apparently there was a realistic chance Taylor would have died during Leviathan, as he rolled dice to determine survival for his mass extinction scenarios. His original choice was to have continued on as Aegis, but we see how that worked out.

• Locked thread