Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Cole posted:

Its free money. I'll be as hooah as Audie fuckin Murphy for a few grand.

Zeris posted:

Idiot this is the highest ratio of time invested to money earned you will ever face in your lifetime.

All right, fine, you sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oneday for Life posted:

So if I decided to join the Reserves the day after I end Active Duty in order to continue to get health insurance and $350 extra bucks a month, do I still count as being in the military or do I count as Veteran? Will I be able to claim full 9/11 benefits or will it be as if I was still in the military?

Also, I'm guessing I won't be able to claim unemployment if I'm in the Reserves, so would it be better to just skip the Reserves and get free gov money for a short period of time (26 weeks in Texas?), or should I go with the guaranteed option of a smaller amount but cheap benefits for however long I decide to be in the Reserves?

When it comes to taxes in 2016, will I be able to even get a grant since I technically will have made a decent amount of money this year? I think BAH for here is like $1600, which is nice, but I'm kind of worried about making ends meet during breaks and poo poo. I'd love to get all the free disability money and poo poo people are telling me to get, but unfortunately I didn't get shot or anything. I broke my finger once, but that doesn't even qualify for 10%. I'm going for an engineering degree, so I'd realllly like to work as little as possible while I'm in school and still be able to live a semi-comfortable life.

You count as a veteran and in the military for whichever purposes you need, with a few exceptions. You can get full GI Bill and you also get a real CAC card for discounts and base access.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Got my free money notification in the mail today. Don't even owe any more time on my current service obligation.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I was just informed by the finance office at University of Montana that they will be fully complying with the new veterans receive in state tuition to continue receiving public funding law (HR 3230 I think?) by July 1st 2015, which is excellent. Only three more months to go until freedom and waiting for fall semester.

Edit: Found it.

H.R 3230 Sec. 702. Approval of courses of education provided by public institutions of higher learning for purposes of All-Volunteer Force Educational Assistance Program and Post-9/11 Educational Assistance conditional on in-State tuition rate for veterans.

Ptolemaeus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 14, 2015

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Oneday for Life posted:

So if I decided to join the Reserves the day after I end Active Duty in order to continue to get health insurance and $350 extra bucks a month, do I still count as being in the military or do I count as Veteran? Will I be able to claim full 9/11 benefits or will it be as if I was still in the military?

Also, I'm guessing I won't be able to claim unemployment if I'm in the Reserves, so would it be better to just skip the Reserves and get free gov money for a short period of time (26 weeks in Texas?), or should I go with the guaranteed option of a smaller amount but cheap benefits for however long I decide to be in the Reserves?

Fair warning: You will pay 205$/month for healthcare that is not as good as active duty healthcare.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

Fair warning: You will pay 205$/month for healthcare that is not as good as active duty healthcare.

That's the family plan. Individual Tricare Reserve is like $50 and you can't beat that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's almost impossible to beat $200 for a family plan, either. CHCBP (basically like tricare standard for separating vets) was over $800 a month when I got out in 2012.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
You can claim unemployment in the reserves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Everything about unemployment is state dependent.

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

Everything about unemployment is state dependent.

I'm aware.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If I get a chance to study abroad next summer, I don't think the GI Bill pays the extra costs. Are there any ways to get those covered or do I need to save up?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

blue squares posted:

If I get a chance to study abroad next summer, I don't think the GI Bill pays the extra costs. Are there any ways to get those covered or do I need to save up?

The plane ticket will most likely be you. Although, you seem like a resourceful guy. Have you considered selling YA transwereotter erotica fiction on the Amazon Kindle store? That's a genre in dying need of a fresh, exciting voice.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Pat Tillman window is Feb 3rd - Mar 3rd.

http://pattillmanfoundation.org/apply-to-be-a-scholar/

I have no experience applying but I am going to apply. I have applied to 9 MFA writing programs and had my application materials reviewed by about a half dozen people so I think I've got a shot at it. I am happy to review / edit anyone else's materials or give them ideas. Yes, my writing is better than my posting.

If you're thinking of applying, start immediately:

Thinking of who you will ask to be your Character recommendation from a third-party (letter of recommendation, basically). Community service? Former teacher? Civilian boss?

Also get ready to dig up: Two photos from military service or with your spouse and I hope you can pass a background check.

Source: http://pattillmanfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/ptf_onesheet_application2015.pdf

Zeris fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 22, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
What's the rules as far as what's considered "in-state tuition" for a public university grad school program that doesn't receive any state funding (i.e., everyone pays the same tuition, regardless of residency status)?

I'd assume you would only get the national max for a private institution (think it's around $20k per year now), since in this case paying the tuition straight up would be drat near $40K a year. It's a relative moot point with yellow ribbon but I was just wondering.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

What's the rules as far as what's considered "in-state tuition" for a public university grad school program that doesn't receive any state funding (i.e., everyone pays the same tuition, regardless of residency status)?

I'd assume you would only get the national max for a private institution (think it's around $20k per year now), since in this case paying the tuition straight up would be drat near $40K a year. It's a relative moot point with yellow ribbon but I was just wondering.

What do you mean "the rules?" If the in-state and out-of-state prices are the same and above the state cap, you just pay that price, unless you get Yellow Ribbon. They aren't obligated to make it any cheaper for you if nobody is paying less than sticker. I've come up on that several times looking at medical schools. The thing that sucks is that they only have to consider you in-state for tuition, as opposed to tuition and preferential in-state acceptance, as far as I've seen. I would love to be able to apply in-state for Texas or California state medical schools. :(

EDIT: It appears I could be wrong:

Maximum Reimbursement
Public School All Tuition & Fee Payments for an in-State Student
Private or Foreign School Up to $19,198.31 per academic year National Maximum (see next table for exceptions)

I thought the cap applied to public schools too, but it looks different now than the last time I looked, so I don't really know.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 27, 2015

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I should really know this by now, however I still have to ask:

Should I have gotten a full bah payment today for being full time, full month of classes? Or was the partial bah payment I got with my book stipend all I get until March?

Post 9/11 100% GI bill eligible.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

second best sponge posted:

Should I have gotten a full bah payment today for being full time, full month of classes? Or was the partial bah payment I got with my book stipend all I get until March?

Is this your first post 9/11 deposit? If so, it could be screwy. Keep checking ebenefits for additional payments.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

second best sponge posted:

Did you start school on January 1st? Or start your semester in late December?

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

classes started January 11th. I got two deposits from the va in my bank account around that time, books and a partial bah (i think).

i was hoping to receive a full bah payment feb 2nd for the month of feb, since I already got my partial for January.

second best sponge fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 3, 2015

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You'll get paid on the 27th for the full month of Feb. It's always the last working day*

*funds are actually released a day early. Depending on your bank you may be paid 12:01 the 26th.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Pat Tilman window opened today, I am still willing to help anyone here with their applications who asks me. It's for any undergrad or grad degree, doesn't matter if you're halfway done or starting this year.

vains
May 26, 2004

Zeris posted:

The Pat Tilman window opened today, I am still willing to help anyone here with their applications who asks me. It's for any undergrad or grad degree, doesn't matter if you're halfway done or starting this year.

Sucks you gotta be a full time student

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Vasudus posted:

You'll get paid on the 27th for the full month of Feb. It's always the last working day*

*funds are actually released a day early. Depending on your bank you may be paid 12:01 the 26th.

Thanks. I thought so but I wasn't sure. I'm working full time while taking classes so I'm not hard up for money, I just like having more of it sooner.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Got my free money today. Feels good.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
So, my university forces freshmen to live in the dorms for their first 30 credit hours. Through my fafsa awarded money from the university, my grant and scholarship money should cover the cost of the dorms and meal plan. Will I still receive BAH and can I just pocket it for booze money? Thanks.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Ptolemaeus posted:

So, my university forces freshmen to live in the dorms for their first 30 credit hours. Through my fafsa awarded money from the university, my grant and scholarship money should cover the cost of the dorms and meal plan. Will I still receive BAH and can I just pocket it for booze money? Thanks.

You should really look into this "rule" a bit further, as it sounds like a blanket statement that your university has targeted towards traditional 18 year old freshmen. You will be taking a large financial hit if you pay for dorm housing and a meal plan. Also, I don't know your age or background, but do you really want to be the old person living among a bunch of kids? This is university-dependent, but you should consider that even if you are only 24 years old your classmates will probably perceive you as being approximately 35.

Just make a call to housing and tell them you won't be living in the dorm because you are a regular adult.

Edit to add: You will still receive BAH if you live in the dorms, but it's not worth the cost.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 4, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm 27 and my classmates all think I'm in my early 20s.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Cole posted:

I'm 27 and my classmates all think I'm in my early 20s.

I'm skeptical about that, but I guess it depends on the school environment and the individual veteran -- I started playing intramural soccer this semester and was told I look like I'm 30 (I'm 27). Regardless, living in a dorm is a terrible decision unless someone feels truly compelled to develop a social circle that skews towards the 'can't buy booze yet' demographic and is willing to overpay housing/living costs for it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Don't live in the dorms.

Start calling people and don't stop til you get a waiver or the university president tells you to gently caress off.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

sharkbomb posted:

You should really look into this "rule" a bit further, as it sounds like a blanket statement that your university has targeted towards traditional 18 year old freshmen. You will be taking a large financial hit if you pay for dorm housing and a meal plan. Also, I don't know your age or background, but do you really want to be the old person living among a bunch of kids? This is university-dependent, but you should consider that even if you are only 24 years old your classmates will probably perceive you as being approximately 35.

Just make a call to housing and tell them you won't be living in the dorm because you are a regular adult.

Edit to add: You will still receive BAH if you live in the dorms, but it's not worth the cost.

Yeah I definitely am doing everything I can to get waivered out of it. I am just planning worst case scenario, they do have a veterans "living community" on a floor in the dorms for upperclassmen that they waive the credit/gpa requirement for. So, at least I will be around a bunch of likely bitter jaded late 20's like myself instead of young kids. The thought of getting out and going straight into another barracks scenario is pretty much my worst nightmare though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The most important thing is to do very well in school. Being a vet and having a good gpa in a useful field is such an advantage in some places like holy poo poo.

It's highly suspect that being in a dorm/barracks will really permit that. Dorms are horrible poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

The most important thing is to do very well in school. Being a vet and having a good gpa in a useful field is such an advantage in some places like holy poo poo.

Nobody has ever asked me for my GPA in a job interview. The only thing it'll probably affect is admission to grad school, but even then they won't give a poo poo if you have a few years of work experience under your belt.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

Nobody has ever asked me for my GPA in a job interview. The only thing it'll probably affect is admission to grad school, but even then they won't give a poo poo if you have a few years of work experience under your belt.

If your resume has cum laude / summa cum laude, that will look nice. It can't hurt.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

The Feds and some state govs do. It's hilariously stupid but they do.

You also need a good gpa to get a chance at good internships, too. NYC finance internships for example will wipe their rear end with an application under 3.75.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I just checked tonight and realized it, so I haven't really gotten to the bottom of it, but is there any obvious reason why I wouldn't have gotten my GI Bill housing allowance this month? I'm thinking I hosed up something with the new year and didn't re-submit some form I didn't know or remember about, maybe? I knew it should only be a partial payment, since I've only been in school since the middle of the month, but I should have gotten something.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vasudus posted:

The Feds and some state govs do. It's hilariously stupid but they do.

You also need a good gpa to get a chance at good internships, too. NYC finance internships for example will wipe their rear end with an application under 3.75.

Yea you need above a 3.5 GPA to start as a GS-7 or even to qualify for some fed jobs at all. I got like a 3.501 in school and I've been getting referrals and interviews for federal jobs partly because of it. Don't slack off!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tautologicus posted:

Yea you need above a 3.5 GPA to start as a GS-7 or even to qualify for some fed jobs at all. I got like a 3.501 in school and I've been getting referrals and interviews for federal jobs partly because of it. Don't slack off!

GS-7 only requires a 3.0. Your veteran's preference rating is going to play more into you getting referred and interviewed for a federal job than your GPA, because referrals are based upon your score on the selection test (which is augmented by your veteran's preference) and the number of keywords that the machine picks up on. And if you're getting a 3.5 in a STEM degree, you're wasting your skill working for the Feds, anyway.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 8, 2015

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Average undergrad GPA for most schools is a 2.7 FYI. Yeah it takes into account a bunch of poo poo that doesn't matter in practice but regardless, it's important enough if you don't have the experience to compensate.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just trying to get a straight answer here:

I have a poo poo bachelors from university of Phoenix that I got before I joined.

I've got 9 years active duty time as of now.

If I get out-will the post 9/11 let me get a bachelors from a legit loving school in a completely different category? I have an accounting degree-wanting to switch to some kind of engineering degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yes. GI Bill doesn't care if you have a degree on the same level.

• Locked thread