Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jesus, who shat in your biandang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, the ones i was looking at for mate were all language courses but like the 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier unis where theyre learning whatever and just enough english to get their ielts to wherever.

Like Forestry University, Communications Uni, BLCU, Finance Uni etc

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Italy had a baby with the Emperor of Japan

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Jesus, who shat in your biandang?

JUUUUUDAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!
[audience laughter]

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

[audience laughter]

Your posts????

Not likely

:colbert:

:iceburn:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Anybody got any hot employment leads? I'm leaving my school at the end of the semester right before CNY. Teaching or non-teaching, I just want to keep my ARC.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Any Taiwanese TV shows you goons recommend watching?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Every taiwanese show is a crappy panel show or food travelogue. Or news about mistresses.

I just stick to sports or the classic movie channels i get. I was just watching MR VIRGIN, 3 1/2 stars

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
man, I haven't watched TV on a TV in like 2 years, except like standing in line at the bank and stuff

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
痞子英雄 / Black & White

Good acting
Okay dialogue writing
Decent overall plot
High production value
Easily available online

It's a pretty good show and I highly recommend it. Also, anyone with intermediate to advanced Chinese should at least attempt to watch it in Chinese, most of the vocab isn't terribly complex. There should be English available though.

I'm not up on current TV, but yeah a lot of it is crappy talk shows like GoutPatrol mentioned.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

GoutPatrol posted:

Every taiwanese show is a crappy panel show or food travelogue. Or news about mistresses.

I hope you like the same stock sound effects played over and over again for no reason, because you'll be hearing it a lot if you watch 80% of Taiwanese TV

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 24, 2015

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

Anybody got any hot employment leads? I'm leaving my school at the end of the semester right before CNY. Teaching or non-teaching, I just want to keep my ARC.

Take your release letter to NIA immediately on receiving it. You'll get a six month free extension to your ARC. The next extension will cost you whatever the regular fee is.

Source: Just did the same thing, and I'm legitimately here through June 30 while I mess around and entertain myself seek new employment.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

url posted:

Take your release letter to NIA immediately on receiving it. You'll get a six month free extension to your ARC. The next extension will cost you whatever the regular fee is.

Source: Just did the same thing, and I'm legitimately here through June 30 while I mess around and entertain myself seek new employment.

Is there a form or something I need to fill out or do I just take the release letter in and say "hey, I need an extension?"

Also, that's a pretty sweet deal. I saw one job I was legit interested in while browsing around today, but if that doesn't work out I think I'll take the next few months off, do some freelance tutoring/editing work, and finally have the free time to take some Chinese classes or at least get a tutor or conversation partner.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Is there a form or something I need to fill out or do I just take the release letter in and say "hey, I need an extension?"

Also, that's a pretty sweet deal. I saw one job I was legit interested in while browsing around today, but if that doesn't work out I think I'll take the next few months off, do some freelance tutoring/editing work, and finally have the free time to take some Chinese classes or at least get a tutor or conversation partner.

I think you need a reason for your extension, on paper, if you don't have one they just give you a plain sheet of A4 and a pen and ask you to write a sentence. You also need a scan of your passport, but they also have a scanner there.
When I did mine though I already had a job, so my boss filled in another blank paper to go along with mine, not sure if the secnd party is nessecary though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

url posted:

Even if you're not employed you can get six months on your ARC free, hardly any questions asked? Seems too good to be true.

Ninja: I don't mean to seem overly sceptical, just asking for more details.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

House Louse posted:

Even if you're not employed you can get six months on your ARC free, hardly any questions asked? Seems too good to be true.

Ninja: I don't mean to seem overly sceptical, just asking for more details.

As a note, when I extended my ARC it was the first time I did and I'm pretty sure there was a fee. But again, this could be because it was going through my employer (and he obviously didn't give me any money to pay for it when I turned up). It wasn't much though, it was only around 500-1000NT or something.

okami
Oct 23, 2014
I find NIA to be really chill. You just ask what you need from information, give them what they want and they take care of it. They went through a whole rigamarole to make sure that I got my full time for my ARC fees. It's so cheap, but they demanded to set it right.

It depends on what NIA, but I find the Changhua County one in Yuanlin to be very nice. The new 6 month extension thing is pretty nice of them, considering the bad old days.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

Just take the release paper, smile and be nice. They'll do it for you. The rules changed some months ago. With a release you're given a six month free to be a tourist, find alternate employment, get your poo poo together before you bail. It's better for everyone.

So yeah, release papers, proof if ID, be nice, you're good to go.

When they ask if you wanna surrender your ARC while you wait, say no. It's the usual 10 working day process so you'll wanna get the ball rolling asap because CNY is bearing down. You'll wanna keep an ID during the interim, just in case. Then when you go back, just hand in the old for the new.

E:
Just to be clear, you'll have to fill out the usual form. You know the one, name, address, shoe size, etc.

Your new extended ARC will say 'other' under 'Purpose of Residence' (lower left) instead of 'shady white sort' or whatever it said previously.

Current ARC, Passport(with more than 6 months), proof of address, termination letter, and you get a no bullshit extension.

url fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Reading this is making me miss the good old Republic of China. You wouldn't believe the amount of bullshit I've had to go through just to work legally in the Land of Smiles. First, you have to get up at an unholy hour so you can get to immigration, which by the way is so far removed from central Bangkok that it may not even technically be in Bangkok, before 7am so you can start waiting in line for the doors to open at 8:30am. You'll need to have all of your papers, signed in triplicate, and god help you if you get into the wrong line. One of the more annoying things is that your work permit doesn't supersede your immigrant visa. You'll be under the watchful eye of boy the MoI and the MoL. You can't get the right visa without the promise of a job, you can't get a work permit without that visa, and you can't extend that visa to last a year without having the work permit. Then every 90 days you or your representative have to report into the MoI to let them know you still want to keep your visa and continue working. And none of this lets you leave the country while maintaining your status. Want to spend a long weekend in Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat? Well, please fill in these forms so that your visa and work permit aren't automatically canceled when you cross the border.

But the food and temples are really neat!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sweeeeeeet.

You know, I vaguely remember reading an article about this new law and 6-month rule when I was working at the China Post, but it was a China Post story, so it would have been so poorly written as to be incomprehensible.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

Just take the release paper, smile and be nice. They'll do it for you. The rules changed some months ago. With a release you're given a six month free to be a tourist, find alternate employment, get your poo poo together before you bail. It's better for everyone.

So yeah, release papers, proof if ID, be nice, you're good to go.

When they ask if you wanna surrender your ARC while you wait, say no. It's the usual 10 working day process so you'll wanna get the ball rolling asap because CNY is bearing down. You'll wanna keep an ID during the interim, just in case. Then when you go back, just hand in the old for the new.

E:
Just to be clear, you'll have to fill out the usual form. You know the one, name, address, shoe size, etc.

Your new extended ARC will say 'other' under 'Purpose of Residence' (lower left) instead of 'shady white sort' or whatever it said previously.

Current ARC, Passport(with more than 6 months), proof of address, termination letter, and you get a no bullshit extension.
ARC VS OCR

FIGHT!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

ARC VS OCR

FIGHT!
"Dung Plaque Forest North"

ARC WINS
FATALITY

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
C-C-C-Certificate Rejected!

What app is that? So I can know how to avoid using or recommending it...

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

hitension posted:

C-C-C-Certificate Rejected!

What app is that? So I can know how to avoid using or recommending it...

It's not that bad an app for the most part. It easily outperforms,the ones I tried when o was on Android. I didn't use the flash (because glare) and honestly, the text on the ARC is tiny and illegible.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well at least I know my job's not under any threat from computers for a while yet.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Well at least I know my job's not under any threat from computers for a while yet.

Unfortunately, mine regularly is.

Anyways "With Prick... RIP Chen"

:iiam:

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Do not cheer :geno:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So uh, any feedback on which restaurant on the top of the Taipei 101 is better for a date night? :)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

So uh, any feedback on which restaurant on the top of the Taipei 101 is better for a date night? :)

I've never been to any of those restaurants. Or to Taipei 101. Or on a date.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

I've never been to any of those restaurants. Or to Taipei 101. Or on a date.

Can't help you there :(

The three choices are:

-Diamond Tony's
-Shinyeh 101
-Ding Xian 101

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Looks like we're looking for tech writers again: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=142248

If you like tech and grammar errors send you into a blind rage, this could be the job you're looking for!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

duckfarts posted:

Looks like we're looking for tech writers again: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=142248

If you like tech and grammar errors send you into a blind rage, this could be the job you're looking for!

What's the pay and hours?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

The only thing I've ever heard about any of them is that the food's mediocre as hell and they really just get by on the view. I've been to a Hsin Ye or however they loving spell it before and it was OK. Above average.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TetsuoTW posted:

The only thing I've ever heard about any of them is that the food's mediocre as hell and they really just get by on the view. I've been to a Hsin Ye or however they loving spell it before and it was OK. Above average.

Go to Spice Market on top of the Eslite building. Its a Thai buffet and pretty good. Runs like 800nt/person for a dinner.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Go to Spice Market on top of the Eslite building. Its a Thai buffet and pretty good. Runs like 800nt/person for a dinner.
We actually did that for a weiya a few years back, and yeah, it was solid.

We should do that poo poo.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Judging by the presence of tourists and the volume of photo-taking, Din Tai Fung is the place to be at Taipei 101.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Judging by the presence of tourists and the volume of photo-taking, Din Tai Fung is the place to be at Taipei 101.

This is actually true but it's at the bottom so it's not special and romantic.

It's the most consistently good DTF I've been too.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Gotta love DTF.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Thanks for the info!

If you had to take a girl somewhere really nice in Taipei on a date and you didn't mind $$$$ where would you go? It doesn't have to be Taipei 101

I'm also DTF

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If I was going to ask her to marry me, I'd take her to J.W. Teres. It's a Bulgarian place, runs around 2k for food per person, 3k for a bottle of wine. It's easily one of the best restaurants I've been to in the world. Owner is a really cool guy, makes his money selling expensive and old alcohols, was formerly an investment banker and decided to open his own restaurant. His place is usually empty because he has a select clientele that frequents and he doesn't need to pack the place. Not to sound like a loving elitist but it's really not for everyone and if you don't have a really discriminating palate for food, you're probably wasting your time going there unless you want to drop another 5k on 40 year old whiskeys. I went to La Festa which was the first Italian restaurant opened in Taiwan by a Michelin rated chef and it was completely bland by comparison. I went to J.W. for my birthday a year ago and dropped 14k, I'll probably do the same thing again in 15 days for my next birthday.

If you just want a nice place to have dinner and not spend over 2k for 2 people. I'd go with A Plus, which is a neo Japanese restaurant just north of Renai on Anhe. It's a sake bar which is cool if you're into that. They have really good sashimi, excellent rolls(go with the fried cheese one) and some excellent grilled stuff(the ribs with tomato sauce will melt in your mouth).