Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm really into birding so Android 16 is the greatest right now. I would totally look for warblers with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Has there ever been a real explanation for Turles & his gang? I think I read on a wiki that he looks like Goku because that's how all low-class saiyans look, kind of like clone troopers? Did he just run away from Freeza and form some Space Pirates?
As an aside, he has a cool purplish brown skintone that I think would look good in Xenoverse.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Firstborn posted:

Has there ever been a real explanation for Turles & his gang? I think I read on a wiki that he looks like Goku because that's how all low-class saiyans look, kind of like clone troopers? Did he just run away from Freeza and form some Space Pirates?
As an aside, he has a cool purplish brown skintone that I think would look good in Xenoverse.

Turles is a movie villian and not canon, so no, it's just this random group of Saiyans and one just looks like Goku.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, i like DBZA because it isn't just smug jokes about how stupid the source material is

it's clearly made with genuine love and affection for the source material, the fandom, and even the original performances. there's all sorts of references and callbacks to random obscure bits of trivia/dubs that most people in the US didnt watch that there's no way it could have been made by people going 'heh, DBZ is poo poo, let's make fun of it.' In its own way, DBZA is incredibly sincere.

There's some jokes that just don't land (Zarbon is pretty funny when he's accidentally spouting innuendo but there's still an uncomfortable 'lol homos' aura around him, a lot of the Nappa stuff, Dodoria) but there's nothing that's so bad as to ruin the stuff that does land.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hey, what's wrong with Dodoria?

Complete

annihilation.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I"m assuming the whole Dodoria was a woman schtick joke when Vegeta showed up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My favorite parts are the obscure material, I'll admit. I just finished the Bardock movie, and DBZA is pretty funny honestly. Gave it a bad wrap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem wasn't that joke, that was actually pretty funny and a reference to the fact that some of the foreign language DBZ dubs legitimately wrote dodoria as a woman (I guess because pink + lips are a different color, making them look like lipstick?)

it was more 'lol vegeta's grossed out because an ugly woman expressed some sort of romantic interest in him.' I'm not trying to be Social Justice Supreme, especially over an abridged series of all things, i just dont find that sort of humor funny

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

There's some jokes that just don't land (Zarbon is pretty funny when he's accidentally spouting innuendo but there's still an uncomfortable 'lol homos' aura around him, a lot of the Nappa stuff, Dodoria) but there's nothing that's so bad as to ruin the stuff that does land.

Zarbon is a meta joke because Kaiser is gay.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is it somehow possible that DBZA's Freeza is better than his canon appearance? Because he can be legitimately badass and scary.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

it was more 'lol vegeta's grossed out because an ugly woman expressed some sort of romantic interest in him.' I'm not trying to be Social Justice Supreme, especially over an abridged series of all things, i just dont find that sort of humor funny

Well I mean, Vegeta, at that point, is not exactly a good or nice persons by even the thinnest stretched definition of either of those two words, so I thought they kind of worked as that but I can see why someone would have issues with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I mean, Vegeta, at that point, is not exactly a good or nice persons by even the thinnest stretched definition of either of those two words, so I thought they kind of worked as that but I can see why someone would have issues with it.
well like i said it isnt a sj thing i just dont find that sort of humor funny

like im not going 'my my, how problematic' i just didnt laugh at it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

the problem wasn't that joke, that was actually pretty funny and a reference to the fact that some of the foreign language DBZ dubs legitimately wrote dodoria as a woman (I guess because pink + lips are a different color, making them look like lipstick?)

would you say that its

problematic

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Endorph posted:

At some point Kaiser said that the idea is that Vegeta is an awful person with awful opinions.

Kaiser's also said that, all the same, that T4S regrets these sort of jokes, and they won't be making them going forward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'its not a sj thing i just didnt like the joke'
'oh, so it's a sj thing? WELL...'

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Endorph posted:

'its not a sj thing i just didnt like the joke'
'oh, so it's a sj thing? WELL...'

Dodoria was clearly a species of anthropomorphic pufferfish and not a humanoid like pretty much all of Frieza's other men.

Vegeta was revolted at Dodoria asking him to gently caress a pufferfish.

Don't gently caress pufferfish.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I laughed more at the idea that Dodoria was a woman (since we know he's not actually a woman in canon) than any of the other implications, really. I can see why it'd rub someone the wrong way, though.

As for DBZA in general, it falls into an odd place because they actually try and keep the tone of the show, even if they are still making fun of it. I remember watching the Vegeta vs 18 ep and seeing the Abridged version right after, and they were pretty much the same thing. The only character I feel is off is Goku, really, and that's probably because he has the least wiggle room in terms of personality.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Firstborn posted:

Is it somehow possible that DBZA's Freeza is better than his canon appearance? Because he can be legitimately badass and scary.

LittleKuriboh just completely kills it in his performance.

"Wait am I immortal?"
"I don't know, let's see."

The delivery on the lines where he needs to break into menace is just absolutely incredible.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Momomo posted:

I laughed more at the idea that Dodoria was a woman (since we know he's not actually a woman in canon) than any of the other implications, really. I can see why it'd rub someone the wrong way, though.

As for DBZA in general, it falls into an odd place because they actually try and keep the tone of the show, even if they are still making fun of it. I remember watching the Vegeta vs 18 ep and seeing the Abridged version right after, and they were pretty much the same thing. The only character I feel is off is Goku, really, and that's probably because he has the least wiggle room in terms of personality.

That's been a problem lately, yeah. The show's in a stretch where it's pretty drat dark (and won't really get better until early Buu Saga), which puts them in a position where they either have to go back to random humor at thematically inappropriate times (bad idea) or let the material be serious when it needs to be and work in jokes and whatnot to cut the tension as best they can (good idea). They're going with the latter, which is great, but I think it's turning the show less into a "comedy abridged series" and more just a straight "abridged series". In places, like you note, it's almost just an even shorter version of DBZ Kai. Hell, at this point you could probably just as easily watch DBZA as the original series and pick up on the plot just fine.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Chickenfrogman posted:

LittleKuriboh just completely kills it in his performance.

"Wait am I immortal?"
"I don't know, let's see."

The delivery on the lines where he needs to break into menace is just absolutely incredible.

Minion 33, could you come in here? I need an example.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

He is in the Hungarian dub.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nappa still gave me one of my favourite gags in the series.

"I can fly."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Guru was surprisingly funny. I think they did just enough of the repeated jokes and goofy stuff.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

"I can fly."

My favorite because it makes one my friends absolutely livid:

Vegeta: "Nothing, just a aneurysm from sheer stupidity."
Nappa: "Wow. I didn't know you were that stupid Vegeta."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pureauthor posted:

"I can fly."

Wait, where'd he go?
or was he never there at all

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Falathrim posted:

At some point Kaiser said that the idea is that Vegeta is an awful person with awful opinions.

Kaiser's also said that, all the same, that T4S regrets these sort of jokes, and they won't be making them going forward.

That wasn't the offensive thing by any stretch. I can see how it isn't funny, but a guy just going 'eww' when trying to be seduced isn't sexist just hilariously mean spirited. Zarbon on the other hand...I dunno maybe?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nappa is the reason to watch season 1

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's true! He is hilarious and you'll quote everything he says.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I should say "Nice try, but I'm the Paddy-cake King" is my favorite because I found a good excuse to use it, but most of my favorite Nappa moments are little sparks that sets off Vegeta even if they aren't funny on their own.

*bing* "He tooook the dragonballs."

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'm eager to see the payoff in DBM for Buu's Advice Adventure. I am not sure what his gig is, and I'm not convinced he isn't just acting nonsensically, but it's a neat plot development that is just starting to wear out its welcome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly found Nappa pretty funny. v:shobon:v He got overplayed by people on the internet (and TFS even joked about this themselves) but he was one of the stronger points of the first season.

NutritiousSnack posted:

That wasn't the offensive thing by any stretch. I can see how it isn't funny, but a guy just going 'eww' when trying to be seduced isn't sexist just hilariously mean spirited. Zarbon on the other hand...I dunno maybe?

To be honest the one joke I really really disliked was the Freaky Alien Genotype joke. That one fell really flat both times it was used.

Most of the dumb jokes I'm either like "eh, that isn't very funny" or "that's a little weird but whatevs" but that one particular joke just felt like "seriously, guys?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Regardless of how the internet feels, I think Zarbon was pretty funny. The writing for him was good, and him having a girlfriend was the best. The F.A.G. joke isn't good, though. I don't know a kid who didn't think the whole anime bishounen thing weren't gay. No offense to anyone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Firstborn posted:

Regardless of how the internet feels, I think Zarbon was pretty funny. The writing for him was good, and him having a girlfriend was the best. The F.A.G. joke isn't good, though. I don't know a kid who didn't think the whole anime bishounen thing weren't gay. No offense to anyone.

named Chuck...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

named Chuck...

Her parents were hippies, okay, be more open-minded.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm sure Chuck is a sexy womanbeast.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6taE45Kko6w

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Some Numbers posted:

Because the most accurate transliteration of his name is "Gokuu" and Japanese doesn't have word stress the same way English does, but the long vowel makes it sound like the second syllable is stressed.

Basically, Kaiser is a huge huge DBZ nerd.

He's never did it before, though, so it's weird.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

AlternateNu posted:

named Chuck...

Frieza doesn't know that for sure ;)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, the FAG joke was a bit much. But I liked that Zarbon ended up being a joke at the expense of everyone else (including the viewer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Prison Warden posted:

He's never did it before, though, so it's weird.

He's done it in a number of their podcasts. I guess not as much in the episode breakdowns, but Goku hasn't been in a lot of the recent episode breakdowns.

• Locked thread