Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dude i love V2s, they even come in my favorite gibson finishes, silverburst and goldburst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

muike posted:

dude i love V2s, they even come in my favorite gibson finishes, silverburst and goldburst

It does feel really great, I love the wacky design with the beveled edges. It was a really impractical first guitar though especially with the horribly placed jack that ruins it for playing seated. Not that it stopped me, I just got so used to that awkward v between the legs move that it was strange to me to use a normal body shape.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How accurate is guitardaterproject.org? Because my serial number seems cool but I'm skeptical

guitardater posted:

Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo Plant, USA
March 12nd, 1980
Production Number: 1

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I think this means it's the first (only?) V2 made that day.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Olivil posted:

I think this means it's the first (only?) V2 made that day.

Ah ok that makes more sense I could have sworn they were making them in 79.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Perhaps I'm a horrible person but I want that blue paint job off the Jem. Want. Although I think the pickguard is a little goofy, and think an ebony fingerboard would be just awesome.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
"I NEED to control the volume and tone of each and every coil in infinite detail. I wish I could even control the bass players because they're loving deaf and gently caress them."

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thank you! Don't forget, tacky electric guitars aren't the only stupid music poo poo out there...

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I never knew I needed one of these until right now.

crashdome posted:

"I NEED to control the volume and tone of each and every coil in infinite detail. I wish I could even control the bass players because they're loving deaf and gently caress them."

I need to join a band so I can be that ever so slightly out of tune bass player. Just to drive that guy nuts.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

crashdome posted:

Hahahahahaha loving hilarious

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

so what's the co2 cartridge for, turning the tuning slide into a projectile?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think it's for shooting smoke out the bell?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

comes along bort posted:

quote:

Musical instrument adapted to emit a controlled flame
US 4247283 A
ABSTRACT
A flaming trumpet or a musical instrument which emits a flame under the control of the musician playing the instrument. The intensity and duration of the flame are controlled by the musician activating a control valve which controls the amount of gas emanating from a cartridge mounted on the instrument. The gas is directed through tubing so that it emanates from the flared end of the instrument and is ignited by means of a spark mechanism which is operated by the musician.

It's a flamethrower, in a god drat trumpet. AM I PLAYING TOO LOUD NOW YOU loving FLUTISTS?!?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

uh then that doesn't belong in this thread, that's rad as gently caress

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Why?
What is the point of having more than one pickup? Would you ever use them simultaneously? Is it a shock resistance system like you used to have on portable CD players that read the disc several times to make up for skipping?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDpDz7fLkg

Skip to 16:00 if you're in a rush

W424
Oct 21, 2010

kjetting posted:

Why?
What is the point of having more than one pickup? Would you ever use them simultaneously? Is it a shock resistance system like you used to have on portable CD players that read the disc several times to make up for skipping?

If it's not an art piece it's a real audiophile product, that's your answer. Audiophile products don't make sense, they don't have to. Someone will buy it if it's expensive enough or has magical crystals in it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCydGRcv1A

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pointlessone posted:

It's a flamethrower, in a god drat trumpet. AM I PLAYING TOO LOUD NOW YOU loving FLUTISTS?!?

that really would've come in handy back in high school marching band

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

crap cookie-monster music.

You've made an enemy for life.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Browsing CIJ/MIJ Jazzmasters for some odd reason and happen to notice this wonderful use of the vintage pegs.

for those who don't know, they go in the hole :ssh:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

Speaking of natural finishes, just got this back from a setup after years in storage. It's my first guitar from when I was 15 or so, about 1986. I think it was about $350. For a while I regretted not getting something more stripped down hardcore/punk looking instead of this thing that looks like you should be doing coke off of it.

Thought I'd take this naturally ugly girl out for a photo sesh for you

Let's see that pretty face, honey

Aww yeah nice curves

Just flip over for a sec sweetie

CROTCH SHOT

I love those goofy looking pickups, how do they sound? I almost brought a set once just to see how they were made, but anything with 'Gibson' on it costs x3 as much as it should especially if it's 'vintage', so I didn't bother.

pointlessone posted:

Part of me thinks it'd be fun to fill it with vinegar then just let it off if peoples faces. Fun until you got arrested anyway.

Someone just sent this to me with the caption "Namm 2015". You now know as much as I do.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

IronLawnmower posted:

You've made an enemy for life.

the irony is the rampant ibanez fanboyism considering they were the first to really capitalize on both the downtuned cookie monster thing and later nu-metal

i'll admit to lusting after a universe reissue after seeing morbid angel back in 94, and the glowing guitar world review didn't help matters

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

I played trombone and trumpet players were always jealous of the fact that we had a one shot brass rod launcher, as well as reusable 3 foot long spit dispenser. The flutists in front of us knew their place. A built in flame thrower would go far towards leveling the playing field among goofy brass instruments.

(Also some fat kid who was next to me shot his slide off gloriously in the middle of a concert)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

the irony is the rampant ibanez fanboyism considering they were the first to really capitalize on both the downtuned cookie monster thing and later nu-metal

i'll admit to lusting after a universe reissue after seeing morbid angel back in 94, and the glowing guitar world review didn't help matters

i know in the guitar thread i said 25.5 was too short for a 7 string but i make exceptions for universes like the pwh and the black mirror pickguard one

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Someone just sent this to me with the caption "Namm 2015". You now know as much as I do.

Someone made the point that a lot of the function of the guitar's body is to distribute the weight so it isn't neck-heavy. How heavy is that freaking headstocK?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

White Dog Eggs posted:

I love those goofy looking pickups, how do they sound? I almost brought a set once just to see how they were made, but anything with 'Gibson' on it costs x3 as much as it should especially if it's 'vintage', so I didn't bother.

I'm not the best judge since I never had a lot of experience with other guitars and most of what I ever used it for was downtuned crusty hardcore. People have compared it to a hot tele or just think it sounds weak since a v should have humbuckers.

I don't know if buying the pickups would be worth it since they are epoxy potted and may be impossible to dissect.

Here's what I've found about them:

quote:

Inside the V-shaped black plastic pickup cover are two separate single coils. These appear to be wired in series and out-of-phase for noise immunity. Each coil is assembled with a clear plastic bobbin containing a bar magnet. Both bobbins are taped to a base plate. This plate appears to be a soft, stamped metal in the shape of the bottom end of a hockey stick. Potting may also have been required to hold the bobbins against the top of the pickup cover because the base plate does not allow for screw attachments.

The bass string side coil sits against the back of the pickup cover and is almost perpendicular to the guitar strings. It's coil length covers the three bass side strings (E, A, D). The other coil is situated against the bottom front-side of the cover and has an exaggerated slant as compared to a Stratocaster bridge pickup. This coil covers the treble side strings (G, B, E). With the end of the bass coil pointing into the treble coil one quarter of the way down it's length at about a thirty degree angle from perpendicular, forms the hockey stick with a knob end. Both coils are wrapped with black tape to the baseplate.

Measuring these pickups indicate a high output level, or as players say, these are "hot" pickups. They ranged from 11k to 13k ohms. Sound characterizations are usually subjective, however these guitars have some of the warmth of a Les Paul and a bit of the bite of a Stratocaster. Because they are hot pickups, they tend to be somewhat muddy which is a characteristic of hot, twin-coil humbuckers.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

i know in the guitar thread i said 25.5 was too short for a 7 string but i make exceptions for universes like the pwh and the black mirror pickguard one

i remember you saying something about that. the 7 string i had was fender scale and i thought it was fine. then again i was using a 10-52 set on top and something like a 72 for the low b so i dunno

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh yeah it's not that I think it universally doesn't work but it's just not for me

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

legendary bassist joe preston has spectacularly ugly guitars:

also, of course faustus would hate good music. he probably would hate joe preston.

edit: VVVVV don't doubt it... perhaps I should say good ugly.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 27, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
kubickis are good, and old-school mockingbirds are cool

fyodor posted:

edit: VVVVV don't doubt it... perhaps I should say good ugly.

fair

muike fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 27, 2015

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

fyodor posted:

legendary bassist joe preston is spectacularly ugly

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i think it was on the old melvins listserv someone related a story about seeing thrones live and talking to joe preston before the show where he was chowing down on a couple of those 50 cent bags of peanuts

anyway he takes the stage and before he hits the first note a whole peanut falls out of his beard

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

White Dog Eggs posted:

So, a 7 string bass, made with two harmonic extra octaves per string like on the slightly less monstrous 12 string bass... Thatīs 21 strings, 17 more than a bass generally should have.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

kjetting posted:

So, a 7 string bass, made with two harmonic extra octaves per string like on the slightly less monstrous 12 string bass... That´s 21 strings, 17 more than a bass generally should have.

And 19 more than 99% of bass players need or deserve.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

darkwasthenight posted:

And 19 more than 99% of bass players need or deserve.

iirc the guy pictured is a maker of strings and plays that monstrosity quite nicely

so i mean, as a dude showing off strings, that's a solid choice

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I don't understand why it needs 3 strings per course.

It looks like there's 2 strings the same diameter.

Also the amp you would need to reproduce all those notes must be absurd.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

HollisBrown posted:

I don't understand why it needs 3 strings per course.

It looks like there's 2 strings the same diameter.

Also the amp you would need to reproduce all those notes must be absurd.

I think it's so that the higher notes are actually audible?

I've heard Greg Lake play an eight-string in that style, and you don't hear the higher note so much as a trebly clank on the attack.

The only time I can think of that I've heard a twelve-string is the beginning of "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

How much stuff made using that ridiculous range on a bass sounds good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah that bass exists literally just to advertise kalium/circle k strings and kalium basses

• Locked thread