Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Ahhhhh! I am doing Durlag's tower for the first time. So scary.
Luckily I am not good enough to do an Ironman so I am free to die aaaaall I want. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I went out of my way in order to get Drizzt's armour from him for my Blade the last time through BG1EE, and it turns out you can't cast arcane spells in it. I was really disappointed by that. There's still the elven chain as part of Dorn's personal quest, but that doesn't have nearly the AC.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm playing Icewind Dale for the first time recently. I learned that the default party is trash and AD&D rules are cumbersome but the game is way fun.

I just figured out right mouse button rotates the party movement icons :pseudo:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Are spell immunities from extraordinary Wisdom implemented in bg2/tob/ee?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

pun pundit posted:

No. Neither is the mental defense bonus. Only benefit you get from high wisdom is extra spells for clerics and a lore bonus.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

pun pundit posted:

Don't think so. In Icewind Dale 2 only, because it's 3rd Edition rather than AD&D like the rest, Wisdom gives you bonuses to your Will saves.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Acquire Currency! posted:

So I'm playing Icewind Dale for the first time recently. I learned that the default party is trash and AD&D rules are cumbersome but the game is way fun.

I just figured out right mouse button rotates the party movement icons :pseudo:

What makes the default IWD EE party trash? Seems to be a pretty reasonable party.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kujeger posted:

What makes the default IWD EE party trash? Seems to be a pretty reasonable party.

They didn't kill things well enough. I got to that first cave and couldn't manage a way to beat it. I reset with a custom party and did much better! This is my first infinity engine game btw

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
God damnit Neera, when I'm being magically tortured it's not the appropriate time for your stupid loving romance subplot!

This interruption after I defeat the Bhaal spirit broke the scripts for coming out of the spell. :rolleyes:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Playing PST for the first time and oh my god there is so much to do I just got out of the mortuary and it's so overwhelming. :(

There is literally just so much stuff that it's like I have so much to do but no idea on how to go about it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

God damnit Neera, when I'm being magically tortured it's not the appropriate time for your stupid loving romance subplot!

This interruption after I defeat the Bhaal spirit broke the scripts for coming out of the spell. :rolleyes:

Dont worry, if you report the bug you'll only need to wait another 18 months for the next patch.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Playing PST for the first time and oh my god there is so much to do I just got out of the mortuary and it's so overwhelming. :(

There is literally just so much stuff that it's like I have so much to do but no idea on how to go about it.

You spend tons of time in Sigil, just talk to people with names and do stuff that sounds interesting/fun. If you really want a starting point though, I'd recommend:

-Heading to ragpicker's square and talking to the healer lady there, and do her side stuff to unlock a good class.

-Head to the south west or east part of town, forget which, to the Smoldering Corpse Bar. There, you can pick up a new party member besides just TNO and Morte, and start on some sidequests while getting a permanent stat buff, potentially. The guys to talk to would be: Dak'kon, the bartender, and O. Everyone else there is good for lore/quest stuff, but those 3 are the most important.

Otherwise, just do poo poo and enjoy the game, if you're playing for the first time. It's really, really good, and I wish I could play it for the first time again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Torment thankfully has a very detailed quest list and journal system so you're never going to get hopelessly lost about what you're supposed to do. Just make sure you explore areas thoroughly before moving on, but you should do that anyway since the various NPC interactions are very much the meat of that game.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

PurplieNurplie posted:

You spend tons of time in Sigil, just talk to people with names and do stuff that sounds interesting/fun.

As you can learn in the Mortuary even generic-named NPCs can have unique dialogue, so there's that too.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
Does studded leather armour making sneaking about harder for thieves or is it the same as leather armour?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Lady of Pain stuck me in a Maze. I got out, but was their any benefit/will there be any benefit to that later?

Also, some dude in purple in the Hive challenged me to a duel and just completely wrecked me :( So did Blackrose. I need to learn to fight.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

JollyGreen posted:

Does studded leather armour making sneaking about harder for thieves or is it the same as leather armour?

Same as leather for the purposes of sneaking, at least in 2nd ed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Capsaicin posted:

Lady of Pain stuck me in a Maze. I got out, but was their any benefit/will there be any benefit to that later?

Not really, it's an entirely optional part that only happens because you pissed her off. For combat use Morte to tank and remember if you open your inventory while paused, there's no cool down on healing items, so you can use as many as you want at once.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Skwirl posted:

Not really, it's an entirely optional part that only happens because you pissed her off. For combat use Morte to tank and remember if you open your inventory while paused, there's no cool down on healing items, so you can use as many as you want at once.

Yeah, I've got that. So far, my primary method of attacking is "highlight Nameless, Morte, and Dak'kon, and then click bad guy."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, I've got that. So far, my primary method of attacking is "highlight Nameless, Morte, and Dak'kon, and then click bad guy."

Use Dak'kon's spells, attack with Morte first so they're more likely to target him exclusively. Use your other spellcasters. Don't hold on to consumables. If you need to, turn down the difficulty.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Remember to taunt with Morte, too. It draws most of the agro to him, and he's got the defenses to handle it, for the most part.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kanfy posted:

Torment thankfully has a very detailed quest list and journal system so you're never going to get hopelessly lost about what you're supposed to do. Just make sure you explore areas thoroughly before moving on, but you should do that anyway since the various NPC interactions are very much the meat of that game.

After I finished the game for the first time when it was new I picked up the guide for it and it's shocking how much stuff is easy to miss. For example there's a fantastic weapon for Morte that you can get from the woman running madly around the ward that's just outside the Mortuary.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Capsaicin posted:

There's bit of plot and a magical item or two inside the maze itself, but no major benefits afterward. There are also no major drawbacks, provided you don't upset the Lady again. (Don't upset the Lady again.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Draile posted:

There's bit of plot and a magical item or two inside the maze itself, but no major benefits afterward. There are also no major drawbacks, provided you don't upset the Lady again. (Don't upset the Lady again.)
The Nameless One's goal could be said to be the regaining of his mortality, so upsetting the Lady a second time could therefore be seen as a victory.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

The Nameless One's goal could be said to be the regaining of his mortality, so upsetting the Lady a second time could therefore be seen as a victory.

iirc she doesn't kill TNO, she banishes him from sigil

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Taear posted:

After I finished the game for the first time when it was new I picked up the guide for it and it's shocking how much stuff is easy to miss. For example there's a fantastic weapon for Morte that you can get from the woman running madly around the ward that's just outside the Mortuary.

I have them, I just can't figure out how to uh, install them.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

iirc she doesn't kill TNO, she banishes him from sigil

She casts her shadow across him the second time, killing him permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGEfdCj9bU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Taliesyn posted:

She casts her shadow across him the second time, killing him permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGEfdCj9bU

ha, i've never had that happen to me. then again i haven't played the game that much anyway.

kind of a bummer cos as far as we know, that really is a solution for TNO

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

ha, i've never had that happen to me. then again i haven't played the game that much anyway.

kind of a bummer cos as far as we know, that really is a solution for TNO

Nah, he's also looking to find out WHY he's immortal, and getting obliterated by something even the gods fear to cross doesn't help toward that goal at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

I have them, I just can't figure out how to uh, install them.

If it is Igniss' teeth you have you should be able to just equip them on Morte in the weapon slot. Examine them first though, they need....like...setting? I am not sure what word to use there actually. Defining might be better.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Don't equip any decent teeth on Morte until after he leaves for a bit. He won't have them equipped or in his inventory when you get him back.

If I remember right, he'll automatically leave the party after simply walking into a certain city section.

I'm keeping this as subtle as possible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Don't equip any decent teeth on Morte until after he leaves for a bit. He won't have them equipped or in his inventory when you get him back.

If I remember right, he'll automatically leave the party after simply walking into a certain city section.

I'm keeping this as subtle as possible.

I'm pretty sure they fixed that.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I might be misremembering, but my recollection is that when Morte leaves he drops everything he was carrying in a pile at your feet, and if you don't notice you'll spend the rest of the game wondering where his inventory went.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So I'm playing through BG Trilogy. Just beat Sarevok, and the game tells me to teleport to the Duchal Palace. Is this actually an ability I can dig up from somewhere, or is the game expecting me to walk through that dumb maze again?

Also, how can you tell if a party member has been gibbed? On a related note, is Khalid in BG2? Because if not, I don't think I'll bother to replay the Sarevok fight just to keep him around.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 28, 2015

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So I'm playing through BG Trilogy. Just beat Sarevok, and the game tells me to teleport to the Duchal Palace. Is this actually an ability I can dig up from somewhere, or is the game expecting me to walk through that dumb maze again?

Also, how can you tell if a party member has been gibbed? On a related note, is Khalid in BG2? Because if not, I don't think I'll bother to replay the Sarevok fight just to keep him around.

In BGT, you have to walk back out the maze (and the dudes lying on the floor have some additional dialog) and go back to the palace.

If someone has been gibbed (permanently killed), their portrait disappears and they are removed from the party automagically. And, no, Khalid is not in BG2 as a recruitable party member.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Baldur's Gate is from before the Mass-Effect era of tracking every single outcome of all your decisions. You can hire an NPC in BG1, get them chunked by an ogre, and then encounter them in BG2 just fine. There's some dialogue you can pick (which is there no matter what happened to them) that goes something along the lines of "uh, weren't you dead?", which gets instantly handwaved away by some reference to priest magic.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

After I finished the game for the first time when it was new I picked up the guide for it and it's shocking how much stuff is easy to miss.
Yeah protip for all first-time players of the game, don't go down the hole in Curst until you're sure you've done everything.

I was curious and lost literally millions of XP irrecoverably.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Woo. Just beat BG1. The Fighter/Cleric multi ended up being pretty fun. It helps when you have 20str.
Final party was F/C Main, Jaheira, Kalhid, Kivan, Imoen, and Neera.

Honestly fighting Servok was a let down after the cultist/demon fight and...well what I remember from years ago. I kinda just rushed in, buffed to the gills and slaughtered everything (<3 arrows of dispelling)

Time for BG2~! No idea who I'll use beyond Imoen. I think the last time I played was with an Inquisitor, Imoen, Jaheira, Mazzy, Minsc, and Jan. That was the only time I've actually beaten BG2...but didn't play much of ToB. MUST FINISH!

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 29, 2015

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Wild Surges are pretty great sometimes. Neera just gated a demon on the top floor of the Iron Throne building in BGEE. It killed everyone except one guy(?).

It then attempted to attack my PC through the floor (was waiting downstairs for Neera to cloudkill the room...it's a tough fight), it also spazzed out the autopause, apparently my PC and the demon could see each other through the floor, but only for a split second at a time. "Autopause: Target Gone" for like 2 minutes straight until I turned it off. Good stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Another way to cheese the Iron Throne fight is for everyone to throw a fireball (wand, spell, necklace, potion, whatever) right at the start. Aim right and any bad guy who doesn't get wiped out immediately will be hurt enough that they won't last more than a few seconds. (Not many NPCs can take 36d6 damage very well.)