Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Ok, let me reverse the polarity of this chat...

It's smaller on the inside, 2/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You could easily leave space for Big Finish without two hundred years between 6x11 and 6x12. That's just... I can't feel that. I can't easily buy him slipping back into Amy and Rory after that. That's the time gap that gets me most.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

Have you read the new comics? In a spot of brilliance they ditched the tv companions and introduced new characters so they're not locked into the tv episodes. The series for Twelve has Clara but Ten and Eleven are doing their own thing and they're excellent.

That is what I was talking about, yes. I've read the first issues of the Ten and Eleven comics but I don't really "pull" anything other than MTMTE.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You could easily leave space for Big Finish without two hundred years between 6x11 and 6x12. That's just... I can't feel that. I can't easily buy him slipping back into Amy and Rory after that. That's the time gap that gets me most.

Yet Rory already slipped back into things after 2000 years.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, that all became a vague memory to him at a certain point, didn't it? So nevermind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, that all became a vague memory to him at a certain point, didn't it? So nevermind.

He claimed that he could kinda shut them off, yeah. He had his life and memory from the normal, restored, Amy's-parents-exist universe to lean on, though, which I imagine helped a lot, since he could just... be that Rory.

There's a great line in one of the minisodes I wish had been in the episodes:

Doctor: 'Rory was a Roman for two thousand years.'
Amy: 'He says he hardly remembers it.'
Doctor: 'Ah? But sometimes you catch him just... staring.'

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rory the Centurion would be an awesome Big Finish spin-off line.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thexerox123 posted:

Rory the Centurion would be an awesome Big Finish line.

I wanted Danny Pink, Cyber Commander.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I wanted Danny Pink, Cyber Commander.

Heck, that would make a good crossover duo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

That would be great.

I kinda suspect he would've become a really good doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thexerox123 posted:

Especially since the universe he existed in made no sense because everything was collapsing in on itself.

Rory the Centurion in.... Tigers of the Antarctic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

In 118, the Pandorica was taken back to Rome under armed guard. In 420, it was plundered by the Franks. By 1120, it was the prized possession of the Knights Templar. In 1231, it was donated to the Vatican under Pope Gregory IX. Sometime after, it was sold by Marco Polo.

Rory Williams, Centurion Templar.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I'm more interested in the Marco Polo mention. Rory teaming up/crossing paths with the First Doctor! :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

He must've killed a lot of Assassins in all that time :ohdear:.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He must've killed a lot of Assassins in all that time :ohdear:.

He probably also fought Diablo. He's the one who locked Satan in the Satan Pit!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
drat, the finale of the Eighth Doctor Adventures is depressing. :smith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thexerox123 posted:

What is the actual reason behind the BBC not giving Big Finish new series rights, does anybody know? Are there more lucrative deals elsewhere that hinge upon exclusivity?

I think, and I could be wrong, it's a mix of letting Big Finish focus on the old series, getting the Doctors/actors back or letting them have time to have careers before bringing them back, and the BBC not wanting fans to think that absolutely have to buy the audios in order to be all caught up on the current TV series.

Or just blame the Tories.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pesky Splinter posted:

drat, the finale of the Eighth Doctor Adventures is depressing. :smith:

Don't worry, now you can move on to the Dark Eyes sets, those are smashing and uplifting!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It's all fun and games with the eight!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

adhuin posted:

It's all fun and games with the eight!

Whichever one playing monopoly is by far my best memory of a big finish audio. So thanks whoever recommended wiener one that was.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

quote:

Victoria: You probably can't remember your family.
The Doctor: Oh yes, I can when I want to. And that's the point, really. I have to really want to, to bring them back in front of my eyes. The rest of the time they... they sleep in my mind and I forget. And so will you. Oh yes, you will. You'll find there's so much else to think about. To remember. Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing.

He manages about 200 in Series 6, with a brief pop in to see how Craig is doing. What's another 200?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

RodShaft posted:

Whichever one playing monopoly is by far my best memory of a big finish audio. So thanks whoever recommended wiener one that was.

I believe that's the opening to The One Doctor with Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford...

X X X X X

Mysterious Voice: [maniacal laughter] At last! I control everything! You are my pawns to do with as I please. You have no choice but to BEND TO MY WILL. Yes.... I own you... I... am your Creator. And I can be... your Destroyer!!

Mel: Honestly, Doctor, stop being so melodramatic!

The Doctor: Mel, am I not permitted an occasional moment of melodrama??

Mel: Yes, but it's only a game of Monopoly!

The Doctor: A game... that I am winning! [maniacal laughter] Yeees, there is no power but mine! I control Park Lane... Mayfair... the Waterworks--

Mel: Doctor!!

The Doctor: I want to imagine what it feels like to be a power-crazed dictator! See into the enemy's mind...

Mel: And??

The Doctor: Boring. And I hate hotels.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm in the middle of Dark Eyes 3 - man, Alex McQueen loving rules as the Master (are we still spoiling this one? I kinda don't want to ruin UNIT: Dominion for anyone that hasn't head it yet despite it being two years old at this point). If we could have a multi Master story with him and Michelle Gomez it'd be hilarious. .

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

I'm in the middle of Dark Eyes 3 - man, Alex McQueen loving rules as the Master (are we still spoiling this one? I kinda don't want to ruin UNIT: Dominion for anyone that hasn't head it yet despite it being two years old at this point). If we could have a multi Master story with him and Michelle Gomez it'd be hilarious. .

I still stand by the idea my friends and I came up with during my bachelor party – Twelve turns into the Valeyard, Clara stumbles out of the TARDIS and runs into Eight, Eight gets defeated by the Valeyard, Eight says “we need someone who knows me better than I do,” and goes to get not only Missy, but the person you spoiled as well.

Yeah, I’m fantasy booking Doctor Who. Screw it, I want McGann back on my television for one full story and if McQueen shows up for the ride, so much the better.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

DoctorWhat posted:

...yeah. I've said some ugly things, haven't I. I'm sorry. I hate people who get all gatekeeper-y about fandom, but sometimes I end up doing the same lovely things from a different angle and that's wrong.

hey, I'm just gonna come (t)rolling into the thread to say that DocWhat is right and correct and shouldn't feel bad about anything he said

don't bully him, nerds. peace

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lt. Danger posted:

hey, I'm just gonna come (t)rolling into the thread to say that DocWhat is right and correct and shouldn't feel bad about anything he said

don't bully him, nerds. peace

Thanks for confirming that Doctor What is in the wrong

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I still stand by the idea my friends and I came up with during my bachelor party – Twelve turns into the Valeyard, Clara stumbles out of the TARDIS and runs into Eight, Eight gets defeated by the Valeyard, Eight says “we need someone who knows me better than I do,” and goes to get not only Missy, but the person you spoiled as well.

Yeah, I’m fantasy booking Doctor Who. Screw it, I want McGann back on my television for one full story and if McQueen shows up for the ride, so much the better.

That was actually quite close to the premise for the abandoned 50th anniversary audio "Fifty-Fifty".

At the time, there were tons of Cthulhu-y Fenric-types showing up in the 7th Doctor audios. The idea was that they were entering the Doctor's universe because holes were being punched through causality by a Pandorica-type object rocketing through the dimensions.

Hex finds the crashed ship, and inside... is the Eighth Doctor! Eight explains that, in Hex's personal future, the Seventh Doctor would become obsessed with "getting things done", and in pursuit of universal peace and order, would exile his own future in order to prevent his own death and regeneration. So it would be Hex and Eight vs. Seven and Ace.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds incredibly New Adventures.

(And I don't mean that in a pejorative way.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It was gonna be written by Steven Hall, writer of A Death in the Family, and planned for the 50th Anniversary, but McCoy and McGann's filming commitments, among other factors, killed the project before it even entered preproduction. Trace elements survived into Persuasion, however.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

That was actually quite close to the premise for the abandoned 50th anniversary audio "Fifty-Fifty".

At the time, there were tons of Cthulhu-y Fenric-types showing up in the 7th Doctor audios. The idea was that they were entering the Doctor's universe because holes were being punched through causality by a Pandorica-type object rocketing through the dimensions.

Hex finds the crashed ship, and inside... is the Eighth Doctor! Eight explains that, in Hex's personal future, the Seventh Doctor would become obsessed with "getting things done", and in pursuit of universal peace and order, would exile his own future in order to prevent his own death and regeneration. So it would be Hex and Eight vs. Seven and Ace.

How do you know these things and where can I eavesdrop comfortably?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It was posted on either GallifreyBase or the Big Finish forums a few years ago. I just remember these things.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was just on Youtube looking for a Blackadder clip, and I found this, which I feel is relevant. It's from the 71 edit of that episode of Blackadder II where Tom Baker boldly goes up the Old Sea-Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10GWjAB-2tg

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

I think, and I could be wrong, it's a mix of letting Big Finish focus on the old series, getting the Doctors/actors back or letting them have time to have careers before bringing them back, and the BBC not wanting fans to think that absolutely have to buy the audios in order to be all caught up on the current TV series.

Or just blame the Tories.

Also, don't the rights to the new Doctors belong to AudioGo? Or am I mistaken?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MikeJF posted:

We don't see / hear every adventure. He could be going around with Amy and Rory all the time, say once a year from his perspective, and get into shenanigans, or not get into shenanigans. We never did hear about Space Florida.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

CobiWann posted:

I believe that's the opening to The One Doctor with Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford...

That audio might be the single funniest episode of Who I've heard or seen. The robots on the IKEA planet were absolutely hysterical.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Star Platinum posted:

That audio might be the single funniest episode of Who I've heard or seen. The robots on the IKEA planet were absolutely hysterical.

It's very rare that the show does outright farce/panto. Doing so with Baker, Langford, and Christopher Biggins was a stroke of insane, inspired genius.

The "fake" trailer that opens Jubilee is also funny, but once you find out the truth behind it...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gordon Shumway posted:

Also, don't the rights to the new Doctors belong to AudioGo? Or am I mistaken?

AudioGo's kaput. Bankrupt. BBC Audio has them again, and are doing the audio stories again, beginning in summer with a Twelfth story. I assumes it's just going to be read by a single narrator like their previous efforts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

We don't see / hear every adventure. He could be going around with Amy and Rory all the time, say once a year from his perspective, and get into shenanigans, or not get into shenanigans. We never did hear about Space Florida.

No, it was a thing that he didn't see them between those two; that was his two-hundred-year going-to-die grump/'farewell tour', remember?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

ashpanash posted:

We never did hear about Space Florida.

It's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.

Davros1 posted:

AudioGo's kaput. Bankrupt. BBC Audio has them again, and are doing the audio stories again, beginning in summer with a Twelfth story. I assumes it's just going to be read by a single narrator like their previous efforts.

I suppose that's quite a bit cheaper than rounding up actors for a full cast drama, but I don't find them nearly as interesting. It's probably for the best for now, though. I'm guessing that besides David Tennant and John Barrowman, who are big enough Doctor Who nerds to try and make time in a busy schedule for an audio play, none of the main cast from the revived show would be interested in doing Big Finish at the moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gordon Shumway posted:

But it has automatic sand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gordon Shumway posted:

I suppose that's quite a bit cheaper than rounding up actors for a full cast drama, but I don't find them nearly as interesting. It's probably for the best for now, though. I'm guessing that besides David Tennant and John Barrowman, who are big enough Doctor Who nerds to try and make time in a busy schedule for an audio play, none of the main cast from the revived show would be interested in doing Big Finish at the moment.

Arthur Darvill's been in Benny, Dark Shadows, and Frankenstein, and Noel Clarke was in Stargate and Dalek Empire IV. Honestly, I think if they're schedules allowed it, Matt and Karen would probably come back, just for the chance to hang out some more. That's one reason some of the actors agree to return; not to play the part, but to just see one another again.

BF has said that they believe that the only reason Janet Fielding came was so she could torment Peter Davison. :)

• Locked thread