Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

interesting note that the lawsuit against ma bell was filed by the ford administration

could you imagine a republican admin filing that lawsuit today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

shouldn't the doj or ftc be concerned agencies, not the fcc? fcc just regulates what services need to provided and how, bell lasted for decades under fcc regulation, it was a doj lawsuit that broke them up

that lawsuit was some real bullshit because it did about nothing to actually destroy the monopolies the baby bells retained though

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

could you imagine a republican admin today?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

that lawsuit was some real bullshit because it did about nothing to actually destroy the monopolies the baby bells retained though

though cellular was probably better in the long run

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

nobody is using att built phones these days so thats something

well. i guess some people are probably still paying a rental fee on a princess or slimline from the 60s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

nobody is using att built phones these days so thats something

well. i guess some people are probably still paying a rental fee on a princess or slimline from the 60s

at&t's phone building subsidary was and probably is still the main supplier to all the baby bells and their descendant companies to this day.

you can even still rent phones from an at&t subsidiary derived company nationwide:
http://www.qltcls.com/

rent a 5.8 ghz band cordless phone for just $16.95 a month! rent a rotary phone in 2015 for just $4.45 a month!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

at&t's phone building subsidary was and probably is still the main supplier to all the baby bells and their descendant companies to this day.

you can even still rent phones from an at&t subsidiary derived company nationwide:

rent a 5.8 ghz band cordless phone for just $16.95 a month! rent a rotary phone in 2015 for just $4.45 a month!

no rotary princess? well gently caress them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

at one point I was doing 60mph on the highway and pushed the gearshift into reversal. it let out a massive *BANG*, and coasted to the side of the road.

put it in park, cranked it, and drove off like it was nothing.

that's amazing, because there is a lockout in every transmission i've shifted that prevents you from going directly from 5th to R without dropping it into the center first, so that was some real serious intentional destruction

e: o wait you it's an automatic lol. big whatever, automatics have fail-safe valves and electronics that prevent damage from happening when you do that (because they know that automatic drivers are morons)

i forget which thread was the no transmissionchat, but fuckit

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

give it two years and you won't have to imagine anymore!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nintendo Kid posted:

my great grandma had the same phone she paid the phone company (a local company, then GTE, then Verizon. bell didn't care about rurals) for every month from 1960 to when she died in 2005

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep gramma paid $2 for a bell phone (The Telephone, model 100 or whatever the gently caress) from the mid 50s till her death in mid 2000s

nice $6500 phone grandma

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nintendo Kid posted:

western electric? it's now part of alcatel-lucent

why do i know this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the upside: since the phone company expected to have a phone in service for 50 years, they were built like tanks and designed for repair

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the upside: since the phone company expected to have a phone in service for 50 years, they were built like tanks and designed for repair

like its so hard to make a durable landline phone

my parents still are using like a 10 year old set of cordless phones, which only replaced the previous ones that also lasted like 10 years because the batteries had worn out and replacing the three sets of batteries had then cost more than just switching to some 5.8 ghz band phones.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

like its so hard to make a durable landline phone

my parents still are using like a 10 year old set of cordless phones, which only replaced the previous ones that also lasted like 10 years because the batteries had worn out and replacing the three sets of batteries had then cost more than just switching to some 5.8 ghz band phones.

i've used phones that were nearly 100 years old. stuff was built to last.

it's not that it's impossible to design for these lifetimes. it's just that durability costs enough that nobody is gonna do it unless they expect to have poo poo in service for decades

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've used phones that were over 100 years old

it's not hard per se, but it costs enough that nobody is gonna do it unless they expect to have poo poo in service for decades

i mean the bases still worked fine and the handsets themselves worked fine, it's not like anything broke batteries just don't have infinite life. similarly the phone with the built in answering machine they use is from whenever using digital storage for storing messages became a thing, holds like 50 5 minute long messages which is quite more than enough, and has never broken at all. it's got bell atlantic branding on it still.so it's definitely from before 2000.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
my parents house still has a rotary phone in the living room, dad often takes calls on it. hopefully by the time i inherit it, rotary dialing will still work with whatever voip nonsense we've transitioned to

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

that's amazing, because there is a lockout in every transmission i've shifted that prevents you from going directly from 5th to R without dropping it into the center first, so that was some real serious intentional destruction

e: o wait you it's an automatic lol. big whatever, automatics have fail-safe valves and electronics that prevent damage from happening when you do that (because they know that automatic drivers are morons)

i forget which thread was the no transmissionchat, but fuckit

it's this thread, enjoy your ban fucko

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

slogsdon posted:

it's this thread, enjoy your ban fucko

rotor's reign of terror is over and i don't think OSI gives a poo poo about transmission chat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

my parents house still has a rotary phone in the living room, dad often takes calls on it. hopefully by the time i inherit it, rotary dialing will still work with whatever voip nonsense we've transitioned to

i had a rotary phone hooked up to my employer's voip pbx as recently as 2008. the pbx was none the wiser, the gadget that plugged into the phone took pulse+voice and emitted sip+rtp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
comcast voice service accepts pulse dialing just fine fwiw. the answering machine phone my parents use has a switch to convert the phone to operating in pulse mode.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
so i passed out in bourbon-drinking solidarity watching my facebook brothers fix the site earlier and woke up to this auto playing on hulu:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/simpsons-musk-who-fell-earth-214309

is sucking tech magnate dick really this mainstream or does the simspons just not give a poo poo anymore?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
so in a bizarre turn, this episode became thisthread.simpsons

elon sold springfield a bunch of tech advancements in bad faith, and ran off after they ruined society and caused mass unemployment.

i'm guessing if they'd subbed in travis kalanick for elon musk, this episode might have gone down as pretty drat prescient.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm a little surprised there's not a tech bubble 1099-type moving service

techies move about every five minutes when they get priced out of apartments

you cant disrupt something that's not regulated

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ultramiraculous posted:

so i passed out in bourbon-drinking solidarity watching my facebook brothers fix the site earlier and woke up to this auto playing on hulu:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/simpsons-musk-who-fell-earth-214309

is sucking tech magnate dick really this mainstream or does the simspons just not give a poo poo anymore?

elon musk is a very stupid name and i can't wait for the tech bubble to burst asap

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultramiraculous posted:

why can't it be both?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ultramiraculous posted:

so in a bizarre turn, this episode became thisthread.simpsons

elon sold springfield a bunch of tech advancements in bad faith, and ran off after they ruined society and caused mass unemployment.

i'm guessing if they'd subbed in travis kalanick for elon musk, this episode might have gone down as pretty drat prescient.

I'm p.sure the hank scorpio episode was about larry ellison

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

so i went to brunch with my white friend on sunday to some upscale brunch place called "Dottie's" on 6th street which is a whole story in its own, but she tells me about this new bus/uber/lyft alternative called "Chariot" where you pay $4 to hop in a van that has a semi-preselected route but the driver asks what stop you want and if no one wants the transamerican pyramid for example, then they skip it.

so of course this basically just sounds like what bus systems were before they failed as private companies and turned public, but the big selling point for her was that they could instantly get more vans on the road when they needed them, and take them off when they weren't needed. i asked what were they doing with the extra vans and drivers when they aren't needed, she said the workers were doing stuff in the office. i wake up this morning, turns out chariot is storing their extra vans in front of my apartment

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bassguitarhero posted:

my white friend

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dotties [the old one in the 'loin] and burma super star were the first places I ever saw people wait in line for an hour for food

laughing at the idea of people standing around on the sidewalk on 6th & market for 90 minutes to eat some eggs

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

bassguitarhero posted:

so i went to brunch with my white friend on sunday to some upscale brunch place called "Dottie's" on 6th street which is a whole story in its own, but she tells me about this new bus/uber/lyft alternative called "Chariot" where you pay $4 to hop in a van that has a semi-preselected route but the driver asks what stop you want and if no one wants the transamerican pyramid for example, then they skip it.

so of course this basically just sounds like what bus systems were before they failed as private companies and turned public, but the big selling point for her was that they could instantly get more vans on the road when they needed them, and take them off when they weren't needed. i asked what were they doing with the extra vans and drivers when they aren't needed, she said the workers were doing stuff in the office. i wake up this morning, turns out chariot is storing their extra vans in front of my apartment

disruptive

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

dotties [the old one in the 'loin] and burma super star were the first places I ever saw people wait in line for an hour for food

laughing at the idea of people standing around on the sidewalk on 6th & market for 90 minutes to eat some eggs

yeah this is dotties moving over from the TL. the food was good enough but honestly i've had stuff that was just as good from a local diner for $10 and no line. watching a line full of dottie's patrons ignore all the homeless folks around them while waiting for brunch just left a bad taste in my mouth

and apparently chariot just opened a cole valley route yesterday which is why they're staging on my block. i'm gonna guess part of their business model is staging vans in random people's neighborhoods until folks complain, then they stage somewhere else

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah there was something similar to chariot that was doing a fidi <> marina route a couple years ago but it didn't pan out, I think no matter what you can't beat traffic

cole valley seems weird because the N runs like right there

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't know if you guys get to experience this, but down in Dixie it's a big dick-swingin' thing to just ramp your truck forward over the parking spot block instead of backing out

i did not know this

qirex posted:

I remember in 2009 there was a dealership selling h2s buy one get one free

lol

Jonny 290 posted:

America's new Compact Pickup Truck

aaaaaaaaahahahahhahaha

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the long line thing is really stupid. unless your plans for the entire day was just to bullshit with friends anyway it is such a waste just so you can say you did it (and be better than all those plebs that can't be afford to take that time to do it).

place here has amazing bbq but the line now is often four goddamn hours long.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
do people not realize that you can just slow cook bbq at home and spend that time doing literally anything else

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

daft punk railroad posted:

do people not realize that you can just slow cook bbq at home and spend that time doing literally anything else

even better, you can get decent bbq at McDonalds when McRib is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
willing to pay up to six and a half figgies for mcrib flavored soylent

• Locked thread