Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How old is 616-Peter supposed to be? Early thirties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

Around that ballpark.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

26-29. Civil War had him say 15 when he got big and generally accepted 11-15 yeas. But no one from Marvel Comics will ever recognize him hitting the big 3 0 because that "ages" him too much

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah Pete is late 20's, they've very purposely not have him past 30 unlike the likes of say Daredevil or Iron Fist. He probably never will hit 30 unless they do decide to have him get married (again) and keep Miles around as the forever teen to manchild Spider-Man.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waterhaul posted:

He probably never will hit 30 unless they do decide to have him get married (again) and keep Miles around as the forever teen to manchild Spider-Man.
That's... Kind of really depressing when I think about it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In some strange sense, Deadpool is more financially stable and responsible than Spider-Man is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, realizing that is kind of what made me stop caring about modern Spider-man comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

FilthyImp posted:

Well that's just big two comics.

Pretty much every hero caps out in their mid 20's to early 30's with the exception of say Strange or Tony who are perpetually kind of in their 40's. You're not supposed to think about realistically how much stuff they go through. They just reflect their audience.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Pretty much every hero caps out in their mid 20's to early 30's with the exception of say Strange or Tony who are perpetually kind of in their 40's. You're not supposed to think about realistically how much stuff they go through. They just reflect their audience.

Didn't Didio say their audience was primarily men in their 40s?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waterhaul posted:

I remember reading a while ago that Strange was introduced in the 1960s as having been born in 1930, and they've stuck to that ever since, with the excuse that his magic has sustained his youth. Probably no longer an official explanation, though.

Isn't Frank Castle still a Vietnam veteran, or has he been "upgraded" to the Gulf or Iraq?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Still Vietnam. Remender de-aged him during FrankenCastle...well, after he was cured of it, anyway.

People kept saying that Rucka upgraded him to just "the war" but I don't recall that ever being in an issue. Maybe it was on the recap page or something?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, realizing that is kind of what made me stop caring about modern Spider-man comics.

Been reading Spider-Man comics on and off since I was seven, and going on thirty this year, I hope Peter always stays young. Marrying him off, giving him kids and a stable job, is just too far away from what made Spider-Man such a hugely popular character. We want to see the characters we love grow and change the way our lives do, but Spidey should be preserved for future generations.

There's a pair of old VHS tapes, one with a couple episodes of Spider-Man '66, the other with a couple episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, that really defined the character for me. I was fine with married Spider-Man, but when I got ahold of Ultimate Spider-Man in my teens, it felt like the comics were finally publishing the real Spider-Man again.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Lurdiak posted:

Where's Harry now?

Last he was seen he was rocking the Heisenberg look and hanging with his kid in a park, had to move after Pete called him on a burner phone.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

Been reading Spider-Man comics on and off since I was seven, and going on thirty this year, I hope Peter always stays young. Marrying him off, giving him kids and a stable job, is just too far away from what made Spider-Man such a hugely popular character. We want to see the characters we love grow and change the way our lives do, but Spidey should be preserved for future generations.

There's a pair of old VHS tapes, one with a couple episodes of Spider-Man '66, the other with a couple episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, that really defined the character for me. I was fine with married Spider-Man, but when I got ahold of Ultimate Spider-Man in my teens, it felt like the comics were finally publishing the real Spider-Man again.

Spidey's gone from high school, grown as a person, gone to college, had people come in and out of his life, die, done various jobs/career paths, gotten married and progressed in his "life" and been married at one point longer than wasn't (if I recall). Giving him a wife, a stable job, and being an actual adult I'd argue is what the character should be right now. He progresses in life and grows up. We've got plenty of teenie bopper Spidey's running around to satisfy and I don't get why everyone wants to go to that boring well.

Write it well and it'll be fine. Though, yeah, "Youth" is relative.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

Spiderman hasn't been young since like the 60's to about the late 70's. So he hasn't been young in over 40 years.

So I don't think that is what made him popular, all things considered.

Edit: Also he really didn't read that young in the 60/70's either, but that is more because of how they wrote him then age.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 25, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Early twenties Spider-Man is fine. It keeps close enough to the core of the character. Marrying him to a super model and giving him a kid matures him too much.

Nova aged out, and they replaced him with Sam Alexander. If they want to make Miles Morales the youthful Spider-Man, and let Peter grow up, then I'm fine with that. There just needs to always be a Spider-Man in that 15-25 range.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh I feel like core of the character isn't really at thing.

At least that specific.

The core to me seems to be the responsibility poo poo, and the soap opera poo poo.

Trying to narrow it down any farther seems pointless or just flat out impossible.

Like I like USM, but nothing about it seems spidermanish to me, it is just a teen soap opera poo poo. Spiderman may have also gone through that (I don't really think he did but for argument sake we will) but nothing about that has retained a spiderman specific identity.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 25, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Early twenties Spider-Man is fine. It keeps close enough to the core of the character. Marrying him to a super model and giving him a kid matures him too much.

Nova aged out, and they replaced him with Sam Alexander. If they want to make Miles Morales the youthful Spider-Man, and let Peter grow up, then I'm fine with that. There just needs to always be a Spider-Man in that 15-25 range.

They threw out the 'supermodel' part of things back with Johnathan Caesar in the 80s. The literally only bought it back so they could then complain about how unrealistic it was for Peter to be married to a supermodel. Why do people keep parroting this nonsense? :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Literally? C'mon..

I actually love the MJ/Peter marriage. She's the happy ending that Peter deserves. I just worry that the character isn't going to have the same appeal to kids if Spidey has kids of his own. I'm getting old, I don't think I need to take him with me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Literally? C'mon..

I actually love the MJ/Peter marriage. She's the happy ending that Peter deserves. I just worry that the character isn't going to have the same appeal to kids if Spidey has kids of his own. I'm getting old, I don't think I need to take him with me.

The idea that kids just can't enjoy an older married character seems to exist entirely in the mind of comic book writers who are terrified of getting old. Boy, kids sure hated Mr. Incredible didn't they?

I can understand the argument of "Peter needs to be a teenager" but that isn't what is going on with Peter these days. Peter isn't attending high school. He isn't having high school teenager problems that kids can relate to. It's still in his mid-to-late 20s and still leading with paying rent on his apartment/trying to find a job/ect/ect. Peter Parker is still an adult now.

OMD didn't reset Peter to a young teenage status quo. He was still an adult written with adult problems. It was just that he transformed from someone growing up into a manchild. If OMD had been a full-on reset back to high-school age Peter Parker I wouldn't have liked it but it at least would have made sense from a "we need to appeal to kids" mindset.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 25, 2015

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nevermind that kids just do not read loving comics and it hasn't stopped the vast majority of mass media Spider-Man appearances from having a single Spider-Man. Or even a young, teenage Spider-Man. In fact, I don't think there is any mass media adaptation outside of the newspaper strip where he is actually married to anybody.

90s series doesn't county because you can't marry a Water Clone, duh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

They threw out the 'supermodel' part of things back with Johnathan Caesar in the 80s. The literally only bought it back so they could then complain about how unrealistic it was for Peter to be married to a supermodel. Why do people keep parroting this nonsense? :colbert:

I do love the idea of realism (or relateablility) was a problem for a character who just literally had his mind swapped with a villain.

Who is now also fighting inter dimensional Vampires.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If we're merging 616 and Ultimate there's nothing to lose by pushing Miles or a Peter clone as the new Spider-Man to keep them youthful, and then bookending Peter Parker by forcing him to grow up, get a real job, and start a family in a different title. Spider-Man is one of the most recognized Superheroes in the world, not Peter Parker. If you put someone else in the costume and push it hard people will adjust. No one cared about Tony Stark until he became Robert Downy Jr, and no one cared about Thor until he was Chris Evans. People care about Starlord now because the movie and casting were so good.

If you just push out a great Marvel movie featuring Miles, or a Peter Clone, or whatever you want eventually that character is going to become well loved too, I'm sure.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Flameingblack posted:

If we're merging 616 and Ultimate there's nothing to lose by pushing Miles or a Peter clone as the new Spider-Man to keep them youthful, and then bookending Peter Parker by forcing him to grow up, get a real job, and start a family in a different title. Spider-Man is one of the most recognized Superheroes in the world, not Peter Parker. If you put someone else in the costume and push it hard people will adjust. No one cared about Tony Stark until he became Robert Downy Jr, and no one cared about Thor until he was Chris Evans. People care about Starlord now because the movie and casting were so good.

If you just push out a great Marvel movie featuring Miles, or a Peter Clone, or whatever you want eventually that character is going to become well loved too, I'm sure.

Hemsworth. But your point stands.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Die Laughing posted:

But... even if Peter grows up, the old stories are preserved for future generations. I'm not exactly sure what you think is going to happen if Peter ages in the comics - it's not as if the old stories get burned in a fire, and they're apparently still perfectly accessible to youths, since you yourself admit to growing up on Spider-Man stories from 20 years before you were born.

People who think change would be cool aren't trying to retroactively take away the old stories you like. You'll still have the decades upon decades of comics and cartoons that you treasure, and they'll still keep making great "Young Spider-Man" adaptations like Ultimate Spider-Man and the amazing Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon from a couple years back.

Future generations won't be losing anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Die Laughing posted:

Literally? C'mon..

As has been said by a thousand others, the reason Peter is a young bachelor is because old men want him that way. It's not to appeal to kids. Kids actually *want* to grow up. That's their wish fulfillment. Only sad old people get wrapped up in the idea of being forever young, because they aren't ever going to be young again. Been that way for a long, long rear end time as far comics have gone.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

After reading Amazing 13, I figured today that I would really enjoy the totem concept a lot more if most of the most of the other spiders were not alternate Peter Parkers. Pavitar's speech about being just a reflection is kind of sad, because while Spider-UK comforts him and says all of them are unique, we as the audience know he was created as a reflection of Peter.

On a tangent, is anyone playing that Spider-Man Unlimited runner? It's pretty addicting. Gotta catch em all (Spideys)!

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

On a tangent, is anyone playing that Spider-Man Unlimited runner? It's pretty addicting. Gotta catch em all (Spideys)!

I am. It's probably the best version of Spider-verse there is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

XboxPants posted:

But... even if Peter grows up, the old stories are preserved for future generations. I'm not exactly sure what you think is going to happen if Peter ages in the comics - it's not as if the old stories get burned in a fire, and they're apparently still perfectly accessible to youths, since you yourself admit to growing up on Spider-Man stories from 20 years before you were born.

People who think change would be cool aren't trying to retroactively take away the old stories you like. You'll still have the decades upon decades of comics and cartoons that you treasure, and they'll still keep making great "Young Spider-Man" adaptations like Ultimate Spider-Man and the amazing Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon from a couple years back.

Future generations won't be losing anything.

You're right. I do hope there's always a young Spider-Man because when I was a teenager I found high school student Peter more relatable than high school teacher Peter. This was also the time where the only DC books I read without Batman in them were Teen Titans and the Legion of Super Heroes. Like, I'm sure that Ms. Marvel will do fine when she becomes an adult, but I wouldn't trade those teen years for anything.

It's an interesting conversation. Maybe we can rile up the detailed thread sometime and argue about what kind of characters kids and teens prefer, and the importance of youth for certain heroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

You're right. I do hope there's always a young Spider-Man because when I was a teenager I found high school student Peter more relatable than high school teacher Peter.heroes.

I felt the same way but in 2001, when JMS made him a HS teacher it rekindled my like of the character because I was in school to do the same thing.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Fishylungs posted:

I am. It's probably the best version of Spider-verse there is.

I want the "newer" version of SpOck, not the red/black "classic" look.
Did I miss it already?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

TheComicFiend posted:

I want the "newer" version of SpOck, not the red/black "classic" look.
Did I miss it already?

I've only seen the classic, they haven't done regular SpOck as far as I've seen. Looks like he's not coming out this month at least, with Spider-Punk and Ashley Barton on the way. I imagine next month we'll get India Spider-man, Lady Spider, and probably another community vote.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
All this talk of Peter being a manchild made me think of the words "Spider-Chrischan" and now I hate all of you. Also what's this about Marvel trying to pull a "Crisis on Infinite Earths"? Is there a crossover storyline I haven't heard about?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They're doing a big Secret Wars 2 thing, this time with multiple dimensions, it's going to be boring and affect nothing.

Although it is pretty unfortunate that it sounds like a DC idea.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

They're doing a big Secret Wars 2 thing, this time with multiple dimensions, it's going to be boring and affect nothing.

Although it is pretty unfortunate that it sounds like a DC idea.

It's Secret Wars 3. Secret Wars 2 was Spidey teaching the Beyonder how to use a toilet, and also some other stuff.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, as someone who mostly hangs around the fringe ofcomic books, is there a known reason why they chose Morlun and his family NotMorlun1, NotMorlun2, She-Morlun, and GoodMorlun to be the main big bad threat to this whole Spider-Verse thing?

Because they are really, really boring as villains. I mean, I don't even mind JMS' original run with him back in the day because sometimes a story about facing off against a relentless remorseless force instead of an actual character is good too. But I don't see anything that makes it a good idea to hang a giant crossover on Morlun and family being the focal bad guys. They don't even have interesting powers or anything.

Also the joke with the Newspaper Comics Spider-Man was great and they really should have more of Morlun being confused and irritated by worlds that operate under different laws. Like, I dunno, MvC Spider-Man immediately popping back up for round 2 or something.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 27, 2015

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's Secret Wars 3. Secret Wars 2 was Spidey teaching the Beyonder how to use a toilet, and also some other stuff.

It's Secret Wars 4. Secret Wars 3 was a storyline in the Fantastic Four where the Beyonder and Molecule Man do the Fusion dance and become a Cosmic Cube.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pureauthor posted:

So, as someone who mostly hangs around the fringe ofcomic books, is there a known reason why they chose Morlun and his family NotMorlun1, NotMorlun2, She-Morlun, and GoodMorlun to be the main big bad threat to this whole Spider-Verse thing?

Because they are really, really boring as villains. I mean, I don't even mind JMS' original run with him back in the day because sometimes a story about facing off against a relentless remorseless force instead of an actual character is good too. But I don't see anything that makes it a good idea to hang a giant crossover on Morlun and family being the focal bad guys. They even have interesting powers or anything.

Also the joke with the Newspaper Comics Spider-Man was great and they really should have more of Morlun being confused and irritated by worlds that operate under different laws. Like, I dunno, MvC Spider-Man immediately popping back up for round 2 or something.

It's honestly a riddle for the ages.
Frankly Slott did the 'Spider-Men of different universes team up' way better in Shattered Dimensions, where instead of a single enemy there's a bunch of different guys in the various dimensions who all want the MacGuffin. He should have really just revisited that idea, just with more Spiders.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Because they are really, really boring as villains. I mean, I don't even mind JMS' original run with him back in the day because sometimes a story about facing off against a relentless remorseless force instead of an actual character is good too. But I don't see anything that makes it a good idea to hang a giant crossover on Morlun and family being the focal bad guys. They even have interesting powers or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if Slott originally wanted to use Norman as the villain and it was vetoed by editorial. He was the main villain in the USM show version of Spider Verse called Web Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should've followed cartoon precedent and used Spider-Carnage.

• Locked thread