Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Savy Saracen salad posted:

OP, You deserve to be hanged for not including this!

http://a.pomf.se/rovemx.webm

Is that...is that Charles Dance? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

WMain00 posted:

It's either Benedict Cumberbatch or Andy Serkis.

(It's charles dance)

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

WMain00 posted:

Yes! Basically the perfect antagonist you could ever imagine in a video game!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Who said he's an antagonist? I've always been a fan of Nilfgaard, the northern kingdoms are unruly and cruel, they need some some order.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

On the other hand the invasion caused cool grandma Calanthe's death, so he can choke on a dick.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Who said he's an antagonist? I've always been a fan of Nilfgaard, the northern kingdoms are unruly and cruel, they need some some order.

But he wanted to (ACTUAL book spoiler incoming, but from what Gamestar said, it will be revealed in the prologue anyway) gently caress his own daughter

Section 31 posted:

Done.

e: I noticed Geralt called his horse by whistling the same way as player's character does in Dragon Age: Inquisition....and I'm not exactly fan of DAI... :stare:

Maybe he's actually whistling for it like the player character in Two Worlds :colbert:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm hoping the PC graphics are really good. There's been talk that they're doing one build for all the versions of the game, and that PC will get only small stuff like hair FX.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Section 31 posted:

Done.

e: I noticed Geralt called his horse by whistling the same way as player's character does in Dragon Age: Inquisition....and I'm not exactly fan of DAI... :stare:

GrossMurpel posted:

Maybe he's actually whistling for it like the player character in Two Worlds :colbert:

Would it make you happy to equate it with RDR instead?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GrossMurpel posted:

But he wanted to (ACTUAL book spoiler incoming, but from what Gamestar said, it will be revealed in the prologue anyway) gently caress his own daughter

Even Sapkowski says he regrets that plotline and he's quietly retconned it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm hoping the PC graphics are really good. There's been talk that they're doing one build for all the versions of the game, and that PC will get only small stuff like hair FX.

This is not an official statement, but I think that this rumor comes from some of our polish fans misunderstanding something that was said in one of the PL interviews.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^ You sound like you work at CDPR. Give us behind the scenes details! I've been watching DoubleFine's Devs Play and I'm now interested in every developer story ever. :v:

TW1 spoiler question: Does anything you do/choose with Alvin affect how his adult acts? It's been too long and I've only played once through so far.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pretty sure Comte can't give details even if he wanted to, due to NDAs and marketing having to approve everything.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I do work here but I'm really just posting as a fan and occasional shill. After the game comes out I'm more willing to talk about stuff but I respect the job our marketing team does too much to spill beans.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This will be the game I finally upgrade my video card for.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Here's the article which said the models and textures are the same across the board.

http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1132&STR=3

quote:

And all the models and textures are the same?

Yes, there is only one version, without it we would not be able to create the game on time. We'd have to undress her, build and test separately on three platforms, which is impossible. So we do it on a single database, and then distribute it to all devices.

On platforms where there is less memory otherwise manage it. Load less complex models, it all depends on what is happening on the screen at any given time. In summary, there is little difference between the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, rather than solve some errors reconfigure.

That's kind of sad.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Yeah, I honestly think people reading that don't understand what's being said or how games are developed.

EDIT: What he's saying is that you don't make different assets for each platform, that's just not realistic. You make the assets to your target and then do what you need to do to make sure they run. It doesn't mean that all three builds are identical or that the PC has been down-rezzed to look the same as Console Z or whatever. People are reading between lines that aren't there.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 27, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

TW1 spoiler question: Does anything you do/choose with Alvin affect how his adult acts? It's been too long and I've only played once through so far.

The lessons affect his dialogue while you're in the vision of the icy future.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yeah, I honestly think people reading that don't understand what's being said or how games are developed.

EDIT: What he's saying is that you don't make different assets for each platform, that's just not realistic. You make the assets to your target and then do what you need to do to make sure they run. It doesn't mean that all three builds are identical or that the PC has been down-rezzed to look the same as Console Z or whatever. People are reading between lines that aren't there.

Can you please supply us all a demo? In return - goon sex.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WMain00 posted:

goon sex.

least appealing sex

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I confess that I still haven't finished The Witcher 2. I'm in Loch Muine right before the end and just lost interest. I may be the only person who prefers TW1 to TW2.

Definitely picking up Wild Hunt though, looks incredible and an open world game that has actual care put into the environments and missions sounds nice.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You know, I still can't decide which branch of Act 2 in Witcher 2 I prefer. On the one hand I seem to remember that aligning with the Squirrels gives you a deeper insight in the background machinations of the Lodge and the whole subplot about that dragonslaying Princess-to-be (gently caress me if I can remember her name :v:) was pretty interesting. But on the other hand Roche is just a complete bro and much more fun to work with than Iorveth, and the gameplay of that branch also seemed to involve much less in the way of annoying travel everywhere.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Perestroika posted:

You know, I still can't decide which branch of Act 2 in Witcher 2 I prefer. On the one hand I seem to remember that aligning with the Squirrels gives you a deeper insight in the background machinations of the Lodge and the whole subplot about that dragonslaying Princess-to-be (gently caress me if I can remember her name :v:) was pretty interesting. But on the other hand Roche is just a complete bro and much more fun to work with than Iorveth, and the gameplay of that branch also seemed to involve much less in the way of annoying travel everywhere.

Yeah it's tough to choose between hanging out with Roche - the bro who helped you escape from prison to hunt down the king killer - or Saskia a literal dragon

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

DoubleWelp posted:

I would tell you to skip the first one. It's not bad, just really unpolished. The second one is good, and cheap on GOG.

The first one is good too. But you need to find some cheats or trainers or mods or whatever to make the combat easy so you can just plow through the game because the combat is the shittiest part. i do think it has the better atmosphere and music and such things.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I like Roche, and he's my bro forever for getting me out of that jail and introducing me to Ves, but Iorveth is dreamy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Perestroika posted:

You know, I still can't decide which branch of Act 2 in Witcher 2 I prefer. On the one hand I seem to remember that aligning with the Squirrels gives myou a deeper insight in the background machinations of the Lodge and the whole subplot about that dragonslaying Princess-to-be (gently caress me if I can remember her name :v:) was pretty interesting. But on the other hand Roche is just a complete bro and much more fun to work with than Iorveth, and the gameplay of that branch also seemed to involve much less in the way of annoying travel everywhere.

Though the single most annoying thing in the game is on Roche's Path.

Oooooghren!!!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If you're going to play only one path, it should be Ioverth's because half the plot is flat out not explained on Roche's side.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

Oooooghren!!!

HEEERE BOY

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Suspicious posted:

If you're going to play only one path, it should be Ioverth's because half the plot is flat out not explained on Roche's side.

You still ge the gist of what's going on with the Lodge on Roche's path and I just like the characters better. Plus, Loc Muinne isn't half as bullshit to navigate.

I have played the prolog about 5 times due to several HDD failure/upgraded PC shenanigans. I still hear "THOSE TREBUCHETS ARE loving POUNDING THE PULP OUTTA THEM! MUST BE SHITTIN THEMSELVES ON THE WALLS" in my head whenever I think of the game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Yeah for multiple playthroughs I'd recommend Roche -> Iorveth because the latter spoils a lot for the former but not so much the other way around. For a single playthrough, Iorveth's is the more "complete" one.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A quick reminder that Emhyr gave his armies clear orders to commit straight-up genocide on the occupied northern territories, and to drive the survivors into slavery, so the whole "Nilfgard is more civilised than the Northern Kingdoms" really, REALLY doesn't hold water. I'll be incredibly disappointed if I don't get to kill the fucker in Witcher 3.

Honestly, the Nilfgardian invasion in the books has some strong parallels to German invasion on Poland in 1939, to the point where the first kingdom invaded, Aedirn, is soon attacked from the opposide side by Keadwen, and then split between between the invaders, mirroring the Russian invasion on 17th September.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Lycus posted:

Oooooghren!!!

Sorry, that never ceased being amusing for me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Suspicious posted:

I think that's an exaggeration. On Roche's Path you never learn about the dragon, on Iorveths Path you never have anything to do with the two other Witchers.

The important parts of the plot are explained by Letho in Act 3.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Aumanor posted:

Honestly, the Nilfgardian invasion in the books has some strong parallels to German invasion on Poland in 1939, to the point where the first kingdom invaded, Aedirn, is soon attacked from the opposide side by Keadwen, and then split between between the invaders, mirroring the Russian invasion on 17th September.
While that is obviously the intended parallel, Pan Sapkowski was praised for the rare allusion to the division of Czechoslovakia when he visited Prague.

Edit - Various elements of the Nilfgaardian army literally have skulls and lightning bolts as their emblems. The allusion is anything but subtle.

Lycus posted:

I think that's an exaggeration. On Roche's Path you never learn about the dragon, on Iorveths Path you never have anything to do with the two other Witchers.
Only a minor one. Roche's path explains a number of how and why's that aren't really that relevant. The big What's are revealed with Iorveth.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 27, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Aumanor posted:

A quick reminder that Emhyr gave his armies clear orders to commit straight-up genocide on the occupied northern territories, and to drive the survivors into slavery, so the whole "Nilfgard is more civilised than the Northern Kingdoms" really, REALLY doesn't hold water. I'll be incredibly disappointed if I don't get to kill the fucker in Witcher 3.

Yeah, but Demevend, for example, did exactly the same thing against nonhumans.

(I don't really think the Nilfgaardians are the good guys, the whole point is that there aren't any.)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Only a minor one. Roche's path explains a number of how and why's that aren't really that relevant. The big What's are revealed with Iorveth.

Like which big Whats? I don't remember being amazed at anything revealed in my second playthrough and I went Roche first.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Like which big Whats? I don't remember being amazed at anything revealed in my second playthrough and I went Roche first.

Nothing comes to mind other than the truth about the dragon.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Really excited for this game. I also really enjoyed the first one despite people telling me to skip it, maybe I'm the only one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lycus posted:

Nothing comes to mind other than the truth about the dragon.
Yes, that and the Sorceress Lodge intrigue around it. Basically, a large chunk of the game's plot that you're completely missing when you're playing on Roche's path.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Lodge intrigue has a place in Roche's Path with Sile sneaking off to kill one of the Witchers to cover up their involvement, and Lethos explanations are identical on both paths. I still think its an exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm pretty psyched for this. Is there any news that the combat is going to be different (i.e. not utter garbage)? I skipped the Witcher until I got it with GWG on the 360 and was impressed. It scratches the Dragon Age itch that I refused to scratch after I got herpes from Dragon Age 2.

I played EE on Hard until the Kayran, but as far as I could tell hard doesn't actually require more skill, it just requires you to kite enemies longer, roll more, and cast Quen a lot.

• Locked thread