Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fan voting for points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

go3 posted:

this is why im not really worried. the american motorsports landscape is gonna have a hell of a reset when the bottom falls out of NASCAR

Top-level motorsport might die in Australia in the next decade or so too.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Maybe instead of having some dirt bike racing or X-games derivative sport on NBC Sundays, put the races on network TV.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Athanatos posted:

Maybe instead of having some dirt bike racing or X-games derivative sport on NBC Sundays, put the races on network TV.

Youths don't really watch TV though. Maybe simulcast races live on YouTube?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, racing is definitely in for a shake up in the long term, but I'm not actually that worried...

Lemons running the daytona 24 hour with 200 shitbox cars is gonna be incredible!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cygni posted:

Lemons running the daytona 24 hour with 200 shitbox cars is gonna be incredible!

You almost say that like it's a bad thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Daytona has always been a B-tier enduro so that's fine :colbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Minto Took posted:

You almost say that like it's a bad thing.

I legit didnt mean it with sarcasm, haha. ChumpCar runs a 14 hour race at Daytona in the summer, so we're almost there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We may get some wacky Formula Libre out of the Motorsport collapse.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Yeah that's some serious bullshit.

Not that I don't respect/enjoy seeing that stuff, but yeah that's a problem.

go3 posted:

this is why im not really worried. the american motorsports landscape is gonna have a hell of a reset when the bottom falls out of NASCAR

I'm kind of wondering what nascar's end game is going to be. at this point.

They've already lost sponsors, attendance and ratings are both down. Not to mention.they don't seem to be attracting new fans despite their best attempts to be more "Social Media" friendly.

Do they eventually get to a point where they acknowledge something is wrong and try to get back to their roots? I mean there has to be a point where even Brian France will have to admit he hosed up.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Human Grand Prix posted:

We may get some wacky Formula Libre out of the Motorsport collapse.

I pray for this nightly

c'mon I just wanna see some dude get plastered into some trees at 250mph

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The ABC deal literally won't allow for NBC to put other races on network TV. I love the tradition of the 500 but if that has to be on NBC in order to get more enthusiasm for the product as a whole then by all means make that move. ABC doesn't do enough to build the 500 to justify it at this point.

I think the cultural shift is the important thing. Fewer people care about cars, fewer people care about sporty cars, so fewer people care about racing. And in our world now it's hard to see that passion returning en masse.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

RE: Canadian motorsports writers

You have to take their writing with a grain of salt, as they had a better outlook and relationship with CART and it's teams/drivers, and given the history of open-wheel racing in Canada, that makes sense. Norris does a decent job, all things considered.

Unless it's Dean McNulty from Sun Media, who is off his loving rocker.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i don't think most racing fans actually care about cars

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

much like the crippling autism of racing fans, my theory is that there is sort of a spectrum.

there are people that want racing to basically be a mobile car show at all costs, who cares if the winner leads every lap from pole and finishes with 3 laps on the field if they are EXCITING pretty cars. key words to ID them: 'technology', 'development', 'factory backed', 'exclusive'.

on the other far end are people who want to see the cars close and the drivers battling in as equal and level a playing field as humanly possible, who gives a poo poo if its lawnmowers or 2000hp spaceships. key words to ID them: 'wheel to wheel', 'on track product', 'parity', 'drivers series'

and most people fall somewhere on that line between the two polar extremes

and my EXTENSIVE further studies have shown*faarrrrttttt*

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

The ABC deal literally won't allow for NBC to put other races on network TV. I love the tradition of the 500 but if that has to be on NBC in order to get more enthusiasm for the product as a whole then by all means make that move. ABC doesn't do enough to build the 500 to justify it at this point.

I think the cultural shift is the important thing. Fewer people care about cars, fewer people care about sporty cars, so fewer people care about racing. And in our world now it's hard to see that passion returning en masse.

The last time ABC/ESPN gave :effort: for open wheel racing was back in 2006 or so.

It's been time to move on and find another network for quite some time now. The fact that ESPN covered the Coca Cola 600 more so than a race they actually had the rights to, speaks volumes.

I saw them do daily segments for the Brickyard 400 as well.

I'd love to see NBC with the rights to Monaco and Indianapolis. I think they'd do a lot with both. While I don't believe the series will ever become what it once way, I think Indy could at the very least return to some form of respectability in terms of ratings/coverage.

be nice wicka posted:

Half of the equation is the driver, the other half is the machine. (or so Paul Page says in the 1995 version of the "Delta Force" intro).

People love talking about the "Granatelli Turbine Car", "Gurney Eagle", "Yellow Submarine", "Johnny Lightning", "Ground Effects", and the 1994 "Beast Illmor". The series has to slowly ease it's way back to that while kind of remaining spec. friendly.

What I think Walker is doing is very slowly taking the series away from being Spec., and trying to make it some form of drama-less CART.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Race Cars>Road Cars. I'd take one of those lovely March-Alfas over any Tin Top any day.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 27, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I found a SCCA Toyota Atlantics race from Long Beach on Youtube.

King Hiro won, and Jeff Andretti came from 33rd to 5th :vince:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sounds like a quality grid

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The front row was Scott Goodyear and Mark Dismore, so you can draw your own conclusions from there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Mark Dismore because he's entirely known for having a sweet-rear end crash at the pitlane entrance one year

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hate that out of all possible choices for commentators, we have Scott Sad Sack Goodyear. Uncle Bobby may be wrong about many things, including how many 500 wins he has, but he's better than Scotty.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I want the Bill Weber and Rusty Wallace Experience.

Go all out if you're gonna have an awful open wheel commentary booth.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I want the Bill Weber and Rusty Wallace Experience.

Go all out if you're gonna have an awful open wheel commentary booth.
Todd Harris says :whatup:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I hate that out of all possible choices for commentators, we have Scott Sad Sack Goodyear. Uncle Bobby may be wrong about many things, including how many 500 wins he has, but he's better than Scotty.

Scott is a good guy, but I sense he'd be better in a different role, like a Jeff Hammond/Jon Beekhuis type.

I like Cheever because he comes across as a :smug:-type that would be good to have to play off another analyst, like say, Paul Tracy.

Alain Post posted:

I like Mark Dismore because he's entirely known for having a sweet-rear end crash at the pitlane entrance one year

The man that brought us Dan Wheldon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dis was a cool dude I think. One of the Treadway drivers sent everyone in my dads engine shop a personalized Christmas card and I think it was him and that's cool.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

be nice wicka posted:

I definitely don't

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like Cheever because he comes across as a :smug:-type that would be good to have to play off another analyst, like say, Paul Tracy.

Cheever regularly (sometimes not-so) subtly trolling Goodyear about never winning the 500 is one of the few entertaining things about the ABC coverage.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

he's no Kevin Cogan

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Most of the fans I've come across who care about cars are older.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
because young people grew up in a spec series, and young people generally don't know enough about engineering to spot something intriguing

that kind of stuff you need a few years under your belt

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are we talking about cars in general or the technical aspects of the race cars? Because I'm more interested in the latter.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

Are we talking about cars in general or the technical aspects of the race cars? Because I'm more interested in the latter.

The technical aspects of IndyCars are what attracts me to IndyCar and detracts me from NASCAR. I :love: technology and speed

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of engineering goes into stock cars as well, and I like the fact that they still use Manual gearboxes. I read an issue of racer where Pagenaud described his ideal series; basically allowing for aero and active suspension, but with fully manual gearboxes. I like him.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

he's no Kevin Cogan

I'd wager Cogan is more famous for taking out Mario at the start of the '82 500 than his pitlane wreck.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm just not thrilled with the current version of NASCAR.

I do like a lot of the teams and drivers. I have a lot of respect for them, and I think they're legit good at racing.

Just not thrilled with the most recent cars, "The Chase" and the "NASCAR on Fox" crew. Stock Car Racing can be some of the best racing on the planet, just the fuckers at Daytona Beach need to cut it out and let the teams manage things. Just isn't a good product right now. Your local dirt track probably does it better imo.

I was (gasp) actually a bigger fan of NASCAR from about when Richard Petty retired to about when Dale Jr. won his first Daytona 500. After that? Just went kind of blech.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'd wager Coogan is more famous for taking out Mario at the start of the '82 500 than his pitlane wreck.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

That took me a minute. :haw:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
say what you will but Michael Waltrip's collapsing spoiler was the top racing engineering feat of the last decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

His collapsing everything at Bristol was the top engineering feat of the '90s as well.

• Locked thread