Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

rolleyes posted:

Yeah unfortunately it's a big ole road trip through a few countries, so not really any time for detours!

By the sounds of it I should give up all hope of speaking Danish and just concentrate on trying to read menus and road signs.

Some fun hints can include g being randomly almost silent, although that's usually after a vowel, and when d is after a vowel, that's fun, because it's a mangled sound, and absolutely nothing like a d. Oh, and if you see two 'a' it's the same as å, which you think, might sound like an a? Nope, more like o.

I'm sure it'll surprise and delight. Well, have fun on your trip!

Edit: Ah, my delay in going to the language school was caused by a mix up, where the attentive and ever-vigilant civil servants noted my arrival year as 2012, when it was 2014.

vv Yeah, seems right. Jeg, the "eg" is like "eye".

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Yeah the silent letters thing is the main pain point at the moment. I realised that was going to be fun very early on with the word for "I". For people not familiar with Danish, this is "Jeg". Take a guess about how you might pronounce that.

So far as I can tell, an English phonetic spelling would be something like "Yai", but I'm sure I'll be corrected.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Some fun hints can include g being randomly almost silent, although that's usually after a vowel, and when d is after a vowel, that's fun, because it's a mangled sound, and absolutely nothing like a d. Oh, and if you see two 'a' it's the same as å, which you think, might sound like an a? Nope, more like o.
Amager ([ˈɑmɑːˀ] or, especially among older speakers, [ˈɑmæɪ̯ˀɐ])

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Coredump posted:

they point to the "and other duties as assigned"

I know the response is YOTJ and I've been trying on and off for two years but in the meantime I want to make my stay here better and more beneficial to me. Any advice?

Pretty much, any job that hides behind wooly wording of a contract is already on borrowed time (or should be).

About the only advice is to try and talk to them like adults. It seems you've already tried that.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Update! Paraphrased slightly...

cowonker of awesome: dude i think i'm about to get fired if not all of us.

me: Why?

c.o.a.: [Director] demanded i document the linux servers fully by the end of the month.

me: We've got most of that already, just look in the Docs Archive...

coa: no, not like what is where. he said if we want to keep running our toys (unquote) then we had to fully document everything about them.

me: Yeah, so for example here's (Fakename), it runs RADIUS, DHCP, etc, it's on 172.16....

coa: no, like he wants "it completely documented so someone could come in without any training and take over"

me: Well gently caress a bunch of that.

coa: yeah imma go down in flames.

me: How?

coa: get linux for dummies and leave it on his desk

me: He'd probably add to the title and make it "Linux IS for dummies."

mewse
May 2, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

:allears: This guy is amazing, please keep posting

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

sfwarlock posted:

coa: no, not like what is where. he said if we want to keep running our toys (unquote) then we had to fully document everything about them.

turn the toys off then, the company apparently does not need them :lol:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

MrMoo posted:

turn the toys off then, the company apparently does not need them :lol:
Indeed. I'm sure the director in question would agree that toys have no place in a business environment.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

Every introductory language class will teach these, though. And cases and even tenses vary in their presence of most languages.

It hasn't been my experience that every introductory language class will teach them. They're introduced, and the idea that you'll eventually get a feel for how the language should sound is arguably valid, but it's a very rough landing for languages which have hard rules on sentence construction and pronouns which change with the case or declined languages, or...

An introductory language course doesn't have time to also be a remedial grammar course, which many native English speakers need to grasp the concept in an apples-to-apples way

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Still Danish chat?

According to the State Department, it's actually one of the easier languages for English speakers to learn: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Language_Learning_Difficulty_for_English_Speakers

You guys really ought to give Japanese a try :D

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's because it's an introductory course. The idea is as you progress you'll build upon the basic foundations. Unless you're taking an intensive immersion course, expecting to learn the intricacies of a language in a standard high school or college semester is a lofty goal.

Realistically, the easiest time to learn a language is going to be before the age of 12. Things like grammar are constructs developed by adults for adults. Kids will automatically pick up on things like declension and verbal aspect without having to understand what they are.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So it turns out driving to that job I interviewed for would take over an hour one way, and that's without any traffic whatsoever. Public transit would take over two hours. Not happening. Kind of hoping they pass me over, if only to avoid turning them down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

psydude posted:

Kids will automatically pick up on things like declension and verbal aspect without having to understand what they are.

"Declension" sounds like what happens when you're riding a scary rollercoaster.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

So it turns out driving to that job I interviewed for would take over an hour one way, and that's without any traffic whatsoever. Public transit would take over two hours. Not happening. Kind of hoping they pass me over, if only to avoid turning them down.

Just ask them for double the salary you currently make, then politely decline because they can't meet your salary expectations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dick Trauma posted:

"Declension" sounds like what happens when you're riding a scary rollercoaster.

Well more like what happens when you're suddenly not riding it anymore.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Coredump posted:

Snow machine. There's a word that gets under my skin. It's a snowmobile. Why would you refer to a snow mobile with a less specific word? A snow blower is also a snow machine.

It's one of those soda/pop words that's apparently pretty regional. Up here you get made fun of for calling it a Snowmobile, '"it's a snow machine you idiot". I agree it's sorta retarded, but I also think people calling my delicious Coke a bottle of pop seems strange.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A "snow machine" is one that creates snow, like at a ski slope. Do they continue the metaphor - road machine, water machine, air machine?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

SHTF at an on-prem client. We're on a bridge and just hit hour #4. That is all.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

cowonker of awesome: dude i think i'm about to get fired if not all of us.

me: Why?

c.o.a.: [Director] demanded i document the linux servers fully by the end of the month.

me: We've got most of that already, just look in the Docs Archive...

me: Yeah, so for example here's (Fakename), it runs RADIUS, DHCP, etc, it's on 172.16....

coa: no, like he wants "it completely documented so someone could come in without any training and take over"

me: Well gently caress a bunch of that.

me: He'd probably add to the title and make it "Linux IS for dummies."

Man this just keeps getting better and better. Is he just looking to hire someone to decommission everything and try and run a windows equivalent? How did he even get to this level of management?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Man this just keeps getting better and better. Is he just looking to hire someone to decommission everything and try and run a windows equivalent? How did he even get to this level of management?

Two additional levels of possible hilarity. Get a windows theme that redoes the server UI to look a loot like out of the box Ubuntu, and a Gnome theme that looks a lot like windows. Set them up on a few real low budget VMs and tell him you switched everything over.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Two additional levels of possible hilarity. Get a windows theme that redoes the server UI to look a loot like out of the box Ubuntu, and a Gnome theme that looks a lot like windows. Set them up on a few real low budget VMs and tell him you switched everything over.

That would be AMAZING! You could even get some performance charts and graphs and point out how everything seems to run much better now and thank him for his inspired leadership.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coredump posted:

Goon in well here, need some advice.

Every job description always has the "and other duties as assigned" line in it right? Well the place I work at has 4 desktop support guys including me. Thing is, the job I do is vastly different from the other 3 guys. I have to do a more manager type role of looking after student workers and keeping an eye on the frontline helpdesk. I've done scheduling in the past and still have a hand in training. However, all four of us have the same job description according to HR. Brought this up to my associate director and the director of the department and they point to the "and other duties as assigned" and an internal reorganization of the department back in 2010. However, as far as I can tell, with this reorganization nothing was done with hr as far as job titles, job descriptions, etc.

I know the response is YOTJ and I've been trying on and off for two years but in the meantime I want to make my stay here better and more beneficial to me. Any advice?

Yeah, if they won't give you the title and you're pretty much managing, you could try and get a job somewhere else. My contract is the same, it has the "and other duties as assigned". A lot of companies just use it to shuffle you around without having to give you a pay rise when they give you more responsibilities.

For example, the third line team lead at my place gets no pay benefits, but double the workload. When he mentioned it they pointed at his contract. People who run these companies will then wonder why they can't keep anyone certain positions... :rolleyes:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's contract has the 'other duties as assigned' in it. It's lovely companies that use it as an excuse to screw you over. All I can say is ask for more money, or leave asap.

Edit: And if they give you more money, don't worry about the position you are in. Other than truly entry level employees, everyone is a 'engineer' or a 'Senior Admin' these days, it quickly becomes meaningless.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 27, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Spazz posted:

SHTF at an on-prem client. We're on a bridge and just hit hour #4. That is all.

<STYLE="Four Yorkshiremen">
God, when I was in support, we had some 12 hour confcalls. I've fallen asleep on them. In fact, when I was moving over from support to engineering and implementation, I got to miss a 22 hour call by mere minutes due to timing.
</STYLE>

I find it funny when customers specifically say, "we don't want to pay for your services to run X" but then start throwing tickets at me "X doesnt work, fix it!"

"uh, no."

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

nitrogen posted:

God, when I was in support, we had some 12 hour confcalls. I've fallen asleep on them. In fact, when I was moving over from support to engineering and implementation, I got to miss a 22 hour call by mere minutes due to timing.
</STYLE>

I find it funny when customers specifically say, "we don't want to pay for your services to run X" but then start throwing tickets at me "X doesnt work, fix it!"

"uh, no."

I'm still on the call. :negative:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Spazz posted:

I'm still on the call. :negative:

Well at least we know their phones are working :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our conferencing bridge kept dropping out the other day, repeatedly, while two of our sales guys were on a call with a potential client.

We sell phone systems.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

</STYLE>

"uh, no."

Sales: "If we help them for free now they will give us more money and buy more services for sure"
Sales somehow convinces manager that this is a good idea, even though the customers never do actually buy more

sfwarlock posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if I'd stick around to watch the trainwreck or quit.
Probably quit, but that's because working with a muppet like that would make me irrationally angry.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 28, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

theperminator posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if I'd stick around to watch the trainwreck or quit.
Probably quit, but that's because working with a muppet like that would make me irrationally angry.

I might not quit right away but I would completely check out while I looked for a better job. Maybe see how long I could get away with just ignoring the idiot's decrees.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Well, I got this wonderful email today:

quote:

I will be coming around later today to chat with you 1:1 about this pay cut that you've heard me mention at the daily huddle.

We are asking all employees making more than $100,000 a year to take a 20% pay cut so that we can stretch our current cash all the way out until the end of April. At the current burn rate, our current cash only lasts us through the middle of March, and even though our fund raising efforts so far are looking good, with a majority of our seed investors already committed to funding a bridge note while we continue to discuss our Series A with VC's, there's a risk that we won't have completed our fund raising efforts by that time.

Asking employees like you to make this sacrifice helps ensure that we can make it through this period without having to lay anyone off or make deeper cuts.

In return for asking you to cut your pay, we will be issuing a new options grant to employees in the amount of 6.25% of your initial options.

I recognize, however, that this may be an unacceptable hardship for some employees, and so I will be coming around to discuss this with you 1:1. If this is not something you can accept, then let me know and we'll do our best to accommodate you.

Thanks.
- Ceo McCEOerson (CEO)

This is from the guy who's been chasing investors and "strategic partnerships" like a dog chases squirrels, with about as much success. There's just no demand for this startup's product, and it shows. This place is going down hard due to a combination of poor planning, vague goals and no leadership. I'm just happy I have savings because it's not a question of if, anymore, it's when the doors shut. I've learned a ton and it was great to do that, but holy poo poo guy, this place is on fire. It was a good company but they grew too fast and just plain hosed up, with multiple "pivots" to try to fill various niches that don't actually exist.

So he comes over and does his super serious "We need to talk" thing, and the first thing that pops into my head (and directly out my mouth) is "You're supposed to buy me dinner before you gently caress me."

I still have a job but I'm basically nuking the bridges from orbit as I go. No great loss, but I've hopefully ensured my primacy in the layoff rounds that will inevitably follow. No sane interviewer, upon asking "Why did you leave your last job?" and being told "I was given a 20% pay cut", would do much more than go "Ok then!", right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sfwarlock posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Urit posted:

My CEO is burning bridges faster than we can.

That's loving awful. Good luck.

Edit: Don't burn any bridges of your own on the way out! You never know.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 28, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Urit posted:

Well, I got this wonderful email today:

This is from the guy who's been chasing investors and "strategic partnerships" like a dog chases squirrels, with about as much success. There's just no demand for this startup's product, and it shows. This place is going down hard due to a combination of poor planning, vague goals and no leadership. I'm just happy I have savings because it's not a question of if, anymore, it's when the doors shut. I've learned a ton and it was great to do that, but holy poo poo guy, this place is on fire. It was a good company but they grew too fast and just plain hosed up, with multiple "pivots" to try to fill various niches that don't actually exist.

So he comes over and does his super serious "We need to talk" thing, and the first thing that pops into my head (and directly out my mouth) is "You're supposed to buy me dinner before you gently caress me."

I still have a job but I'm basically nuking the bridges from orbit as I go. No great loss, but I've hopefully ensured my primacy in the layoff rounds that will inevitably follow. No sane interviewer, upon asking "Why did you leave your last job?" and being told "I was given a 20% pay cut", would do much more than go "Ok then!", right?

startup life

Most startups fail. Time to get out

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Here's a tool request:

I have used Lansweeper and PDQ inventory to get easily understandable beautiful reports of our deployed hardware. However, management has shot me down every time I have shown how pretty and useful it is, and wants every request and report to go through Microsofts SCCM, which to me looks just like an SQL dump.

Are there any applications or otherwise that can plug into the SCCM data and pretty it up in a useful and attractive way similar to Lansweeper or PDQ Inventory?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

I have a fairly Pavlovian response to, "I need you to fully document everything you do, step by step, so anyone can do it." Given that both times it's happened it was instantly followed up by being made redundant. It's pretty clear that your co-worker is ear-marked for the door and so are you.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Urit posted:

I'd write it from the perspective of someone with a couple years of Linux admin experience and leave it at that. If the person doesn't have the first clue on how to do Step 1 then they have no loving business touching anything. Seriously, how the gently caress do they expect the person to fix it if they don't even know what the hell they did to break it?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Things that do not piss me off at the moment: I got to talk a bit about the danish language with student that came in to return her books about the danish language. This thread has a tendency to be really weirdly relevant at times.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

LordVorbis posted:

I have a fairly Pavlovian response to, "I need you to fully document everything you do, step by step, so anyone can do it." Given that both times it's happened it was instantly followed up by being made redundant. It's pretty clear that your co-worker is ear-marked for the door and so are you.

My goal at my previous job was to document to the extent where I could be replaced by someone with a minimum of product/etc knowledge. (And followed by someone who's been out drinking all night, which was one of the reasons I was the one taking pages 24x7--coworker "could" be toasted at any point after five.)

Do it, find a positive way to brag on your documentation skills and ability to deploy fixes to the help desk folks, and put those things on your resume. Even if you don't get "made redundant", at some point you're going to want to move up over or out.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

That call lasted 10 hours yesterday and it's resumed this morning. None of the action items we gave the client were done overnight. If I didn't like this job, I would be in full on :yotj: mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Apparently one of my coworkers came into the office during the storm yesterday and is acting like he's some hero. The building was closed and we told him that we had enough people working from home that he could take the day off. He wasn't going to lose any pay for it. He's fairly new so I think he was trying to prove how awesome he is but it is mostly just making me annoyed to keep hearing him brag.