Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Khizan posted:

Most of David Drake's military sci-fi is pretty solid, imo. If you use an e-reader of some sort there's a lot of his stuff available for free(legally) here: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

They come from promotional CDs released with books by various Baen authors that contain a lot of the author's other books in various formats. Drake's CD is the one called "When the Tide Rises CD". You have to download the whole drat CD, sadly, since Baen only allows the distribution of the CD in its entirety, but hey. Free books. It's got some of the Hammer's Slammers books in there, as well as some of his other stuff. Redliners was one of my favorites by him, IIRC, though it's been a long while since I've read it.

lol baen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ahriman Sourcer is really good guys

The Ahriman series is good

Read these books.

The wolves in it are fuckin sick, chasing Ahriman through the warp since Prospero

Can someon explain the ending though between the inquisitior and grey knight? I didnt get the whole renegade chapter thing. Are they talking about the wolves or like some renegaed 1k sons??

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I ain't the fondest of them and most of their authors are poo poo, but free books are free books and I've always like David Drak'e military sci-fi.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, wish me luck. I just submitted my short story excerpt for their publication submission. Here is hoping that I get picked.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Waroduce posted:

Ahriman Sourcer is really good guys

The Ahriman series is good

Read these books.

The wolves in it are fuckin sick, chasing Ahriman through the warp since Prospero

Can someon explain the ending though between the inquisitior and grey knight? I didnt get the whole renegade chapter thing. Are they talking about the wolves or like some renegaed 1k sons??

It took me a while after finishing it but the chapter they are going to destroy is the chapter astraeos and kadin are from. The daemon trapped in their chapter mate's body tells astraeos it's ahriman who is responsible for the death of his chapter, which is indirectly true. That's why astraeos meets the other 1k sons and says he's going to kill ahriman. Little does he know it's him who is responsible. When Astraeos gets captured by the inquisition, he's living in the past. That book owns as it's the first book i can think of that properly starts to portray the time fuckery of the warp. .

When I realised that :aaa:

Confirming the wolves in that book own.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rocket_Magnet posted:

It took me a while after finishing it but the chapter they are going to destroy is the chapter astraeos and kadin are from. The daemon trapped in their chapter mate's body tells astraeos it's ahriman who is responsible for the death of his chapter, which is indirectly true. That's why astraeos meets the other 1k sons and says he's going to kill ahriman. Little does he know it's him who is responsible. When Astraeos gets captured by the inquisition, he's living in the past. That book owns as it's the first book i can think of that properly starts to portray the time fuckery of the warp. .

When I realised that :aaa:

Confirming the wolves in that book own.

Yeah Astraeos and his buddies are mad at the Inquisition because the Inquisition/Grey Knights came and killed his chapter for seemingly no reason. Ironically, the Inquisition does this because they first this captured crazy chaos sorcerer named Astraeos who's in league with Ahriman, so they track down the chapter he's from and blow it up.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So is the book about the assassins aggressively bad, or is it just bad because it was shoe-horned into the Horus Heresy series?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So is the book about the assassins aggressively bad, or is it just bad because it was shoe-horned into the Horus Heresy series?

Aggressively bad

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It's a great idea terribly executed.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
could have been a really solid stand alone if they chose to target someone they had a chance of killing. the description of some the assasins were cool, and the hunting games the custodes play but it was like 15 pages of super cool concepts surrounded by poo poo

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

could have been a really solid stand alone if they chose to target someone they had a chance of killing. the description of some the assasins were cool, and the hunting games the custodes play but it was like 15 pages of super cool concepts surrounded by poo poo

Yeah, knowing the end before you even started reading killed any hope of suspense. Also, the angsty brother/sister parts should have been put in the editor's recycle bin.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Nemesis really should have just been about the assassin clades dealing with their own loyalties and divides during the heresy. A more clandestine split on Terra between groups would have been great to read and write about!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shroud posted:

Yeah, knowing the end before you even started reading killed any hope of suspense. Also, the angsty brother/sister parts should have been put in the editor's recycle bin.

The super-mega-Pariah thing likewise could have been ditched, even if the noir-ish detective parts were pretty interesting. I would have been down for another story like Legion or Prospero Burns, told from the perspective of a proto-Inquisitor trying to track down the actions of the assassin orders and determine their loyalties.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Nemesis really should have just been about the assassin clades dealing with their own loyalties and divides during the heresy. A more clandestine split on Terra between groups would have been great to read and write about!

Yeah, especially when the Eversor clan gets involved and the murder games get a whole lot louder.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Baen has a a lot of poo poo, but Drake is one of their few legit-good authors.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I just finished Helsreach and that book was metal as hell. Also the Steel Legion stormtrooper, uh... Andre? I listened to the audiobook so spelling's a little weird, but that guy owned bones and I would read an entire spinoff of him being smug.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

Baen has a a lot of poo poo, but Drake is one of their few legit-good authors.

But their cover art is, well, art. It's incredible.

He doesn't have one of those .ISOs on the free baen e-library full of his books. And that sucks.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

SavTargaryen posted:

I just finished Helsreach and that book was metal as hell. Also the Steel Legion stormtrooper, uh... Andre? I listened to the audiobook so spelling's a little weird, but that guy owned bones and I would read an entire spinoff of him being smug.

Track down the Blood and Fire novella - it's a nice follow-up/ending to that storyline.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Going through Talon of Horus and I do like the Thousand Sons guy's perspective

How him and other Sons don't hate the Wolves but consider them the decieved when they learned that Horus was the one that turned the mission from police action to execution. God drat do I love the Thousand Sons. I always liked that their turn to chaos was a tragic misunderstanding and then to throw stuff like this in there. If I played the actual tabletop I think my two armies would have to be the IG and the Thousand Sons. Just so much to that legion.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Reading Pariah and it may be the first time I see a fantasy/sci fi writer mention half-swording/mordhau in a sword fight. Abnett owns.

Also all the grimdark fades away if you are reading a book about North Korea at the same time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Waroduce posted:

could have been a really solid stand alone if they chose to target someone they had a chance of killing.

Who was the target? Currently I have in my mind a crazy rear end plan to kill the Emperor, Malcador, Leman Russ, Sanguinius and Guilliman all at the same time. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's anything less.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Who was the target? Currently I have in my mind a crazy rear end plan to kill the Emperor, Malcador, Leman Russ, Sanguinius and Guilliman all at the same time. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's anything less.

It's Horus.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Azran posted:

Reading Pariah and it may be the first time I see a fantasy/sci fi writer mention half-swording/mordhau in a sword fight. Abnett owns.

Also all the grimdark fades away if you are reading a book about North Korea at the same time.

I visualized that one as taking place in Shanghai for some reason.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Horus. Somehow, that's even more unbelievable than what I thought. After what happens in Galaxy in Flames, they really think assassins could get anywhere bloody near Horus? I need to read this now, simply because of how much of a trainwreck it must be.

I'd imagined it was some kind of a scheme to press the Imperium into a much more warlike state so it would be better suited to combat Horus, at least something vaguely possible. But when it comes to the Horus Heresy, killing Horus does nothing. The traitor legions would still march on Terra, and the Emperor may still have been wounded in battle by one of the other traitor Primarchs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Horus. Somehow, that's even more unbelievable than what I thought. After what happens in Galaxy in Flames, they really think assassins could get anywhere bloody near Horus? I need to read this now, simply because of how much of a trainwreck it must be.

I'd imagined it was some kind of a scheme to press the Imperium into a much more warlike state so it would be better suited to combat Horus, at least something vaguely possible. But when it comes to the Horus Heresy, killing Horus does nothing. The traitor legions would still march on Terra, and the Emperor may still have been wounded in battle by one of the other traitor Primarchs.

No the whole rebellion thing is pretty much held together by Horus, the traitor Primarchs pretty much all hate each other and the legions for the most part just follow their Primarchs. There's no real overriding ideology or anything holding them together beyond Horus saying "gently caress you dad"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It's okay, the assassins accidentally run into a completely unrelated Chaos plot to murder the Emperor via a super-mega-daemon-Pariah thing and stop it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mange Mite posted:

There's no real overriding ideology or anything holding them together beyond Horus saying "gently caress you dad"

But they'd still all be fallen to Chaos. The damage they'd wreak to the Imperium would still be great, the only (though major) thing would be that the Emperor wouldn't be nearly dead.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Going through Talon of Horus and I do like the Thousand Sons guy's perspective

How him and other Sons don't hate the Wolves but consider them the decieved when they learned that Horus was the one that turned the mission from police action to execution. God drat do I love the Thousand Sons. I always liked that their turn to chaos was a tragic misunderstanding and then to throw stuff like this in there. If I played the actual tabletop I think my two armies would have to be the IG and the Thousand Sons. Just so much to that legion.

You mean the Skjall's perspective? Which guy do you mean?

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I think he means Khayon's view on the wolves razing of prospero.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Something along those lines that I'm still unsure about is Malcador's idea of assigning a squad of Wolves to each loyal primarch. What doesn't make sense (to me, at least) are two things:

1) I don't care how bad-rear end Wolves are, they're still going to need a lot more than a squad to take out a primarch (especially one backed by Chaos)
2) If they're more of an early-warning system (as in, if they don't report back, the primarch has gone traitor), surely he knows enough about Chaos to know that they could figure out a way around that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shroud posted:

Something along those lines that I'm still unsure about is Malcador's idea of assigning a squad of Wolves to each loyal primarch. What doesn't make sense (to me, at least) are two things:

1) I don't care how bad-rear end Wolves are, they're still going to need a lot more than a squad to take out a primarch (especially one backed by Chaos)
2) If they're more of an early-warning system (as in, if they don't report back, the primarch has gone traitor), surely he knows enough about Chaos to know that they could figure out a way around that

It might also be a lessons learned thing from the wolves. They got tricked pretty bad with the whole killing of Prospero thing and a big part of that was due to poor communications with and a lack of knowledge of their brother legions. They could easily be big red phones/ambassadors/spies with a veneer of macho posturing to cover the fact that they're a response to them loving up big time. Also who says Malcador directly ordered them to do anything? For all we know it's just Russ creatively interpreting his orders

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I always liked this theory: Every Primarch has his flaw, and if Russ has one primarily, it's a blind spot forged of confidence - He 'knows' the Truth is nothing like what his father has told everyone, and feels he's in on the Big Secret, with his Legion being poised as Executioners of the rest. Of course, his blind spot is himself; he doesn't realise he's no more incorruptible or better than anyone else. He creatively interprets his orders to watch his Brothers, and the Emperor/Malcador are okay with that, but if it really came down to it, they know the only way you kill a Legion for real is to set multiple Legions on them.

The only reason it worked on Magnus and the Thousand Sons was because they were taken unaware, and Magnus himself did nothing until it was too late. Of course, by the 40k setting, that action has become the thing of myth, and just reinforced this assumption in the Space Wolves, who now think they're the Big Bad Scaries of the Imperium.

"There are no wolves on Fenris."

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It can be summarized as everyone overestimating their own capabilities constantly, like in Abnett's short story "Blood games" where two custodes really thought they could take head-on Rogal Dorn and five space marines at the same time and win.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I am god drat terrible at remembering (and spelling) names. Khalon or how ever its spelled. The guy with the Wolf daemon.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
No idea. Now I want to reread it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Its the main character

That eldar bitch near ruined it for my some legit my waifu anime poo poo

Hella gay

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Its the main character

That eldar bitch near ruined it for my some legit my waifu anime poo poo

Hella gay

What is this post?

I had a shower thought. If space marines rib cages are fused into a solid mass of bullet proof bone during the implant process, and they're given a third lung during the same process, then how do they breathe without intercostal ligaments? Without the flexibility afforded by flexible bones and intercostal spaces, are their chest cavities cavernous enough to allow for the expansion of three respirating lungs along with their primary and secondary hearts?

How the gently caress?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 28, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What is this post?

Accurate, if poorly formatted.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I didn't mind the Eldar in Talon at all; She wasn't half as bad as the Internet (indeed, even this thread) made out, and there wasn't anything that made me squirm. Fine, it's a bit fanservice-y to have her in at all really, but neither was she used for anything offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just thought it was funny he couldn't recall the name of the main character of the book.