Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Samsung makes a heck of a fridge.

In fairness our sarnsung TV is alright. The menu UI needs to be taken out back and shot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

8th-snype posted:

In fairness our sarnsung TV is alright. The menu UI needs to be taken out back and shot though.

I like how it needs to update itself like every day and locks up when trying to load smart hub to the point I have to turn it off and back on. I really needed another PC in my life.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

They have nice displays and SSDs, but the quality of those is starting to fall. From a professional and a consumer standpoint however, they're a company I hate dealing with. I won't give them another dime just because of the headaches they've caused me on that last sentence.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

timrenzi574 posted:

I like how it needs to update itself like every day and locks up when trying to load smart hub to the point I have to turn it off and back on. I really needed another PC in my life.

My Hitachi smart TV locks up every few days and requires a power cycle to turn it off/stop blasting a crap channel at full volume.

Except the power button on the remote won't do anything and there isn't a physical power button - meaning you have to pull the plug (which I had carefully tucked away behind furniture.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

spog posted:

My Hitachi smart TV locks up every few days and requires a power cycle to turn it off/stop blasting a crap channel at full volume.

Except the power button on the remote won't do anything and there isn't a physical power button - meaning you have to pull the plug (which I had carefully tucked away behind furniture.

You make me happy that my plasma is just a big dumb screen. (That probably uses a poo poo-ton of power compared to the fancy LCD affairs... :smith: )

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

VomitOnLino posted:

You make me happy that my plasma is just a big dumb screen. (That probably uses a poo poo-ton of power compared to the fancy LCD affairs... :smith: )

Yeah but I don't need a second box for Netflix now, just a reboot. :suicide:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can someone tell me why Canon haven't released a digital version of the QL-17 G-III? It seems like a no brainer, given the popularity of similar models from other manufacturers.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

frogbs posted:

Can someone tell me why Canon haven't released a digital version of the QL-17 G-III? It seems like a no brainer, given the popularity of similar models from other manufacturers.

By that do you mean a retro look camera, or a large sensor fixed lens? I know they've said multiple times in interviews they don't dig the retro thing and don't plan to do it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

That's a pretty sexy camera, I would scab one if they were available.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Canon hates retro design, vocally.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I really love the look, so clean and flat. The viewfinder especially, not even a bevel.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

By that do you mean a retro look camera, or a large sensor fixed lens? I know they've said multiple times in interviews they don't dig the retro thing and don't plan to do it.

Or it might be because there's no difference between their old and new styles

for Canon, 'retro' looks the same as 'modern' (1989 vs 2012)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

spog posted:

Or it might be because there's no difference between their old and new styles

for Canon, 'retro' looks the same as 'modern' (1989 vs 2012)

1989 is not exactly retro. If they made a DSLR that looked like an A-1 or an F-1, , or if they made a large sensor fixed lens like the above Canonet , that would be retro. Who is crying out for the design sensibilities of the late 80's exactly?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

"We've gotten so used to this duopoly we've literally forgot how to compete"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

timrenzi574 posted:

It doesn't matter because they're not gonna do either.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

whatever7 posted:

Canon hates retro design, vocally.
And yet their sensors say otherwise... :downsrim:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

And yet their sensors say otherwise... :downsrim:

:iceburn:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

frogbs posted:

Because fuji already did it and it has less fiddly dials

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It helps that the Nikon Df turned out to be so dumb, so there's not really any pressure from their main competitor.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

feigning interest posted:

Because fuji already did it and it has less fiddly dials

As great a camera as the RX100 is, its lens is undeniably less sexy than the one on that Canon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fart Car '97 posted:

It helps that the Nikon Df turned out to be so dumb, so there's not really any pressure from their main competitor.

Nikon's Df model seem to be an attempt to sabotage the retro design trend. It's like Fox's take on Dragonball Z live action movie.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

It's like Fox's take on Dragonball Z live action movie.

and we have a new thread title

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l-QoM5PoB8

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bought a GX7! Finally, after humming and harring for ages. Panasonic Canada had ridiculous deal going with the discount I get through work, $690 CAD+tax for a body and 14-42mm kit lens. I've already got the 20mm pancake, I'll likely sell/trade in the 14-42 and put it towards the 7-14mm or 100-300mm.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Congrats, the GX7 is great. If Panasonic ever develop actual 5-axis-IBIS and put it into a GX8, Olympus will have a hard time with their PENs...

That 7-14 should be great, but Olympus are gearing up to release their own UWA pro-zoom soon, so you should wait anyway :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cool, I've liked the GX7 when I have played with it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My friend gave me an old vivitar canon mount 70mm-210mm lens. Nothing spectacular but all I needed was a cheap adapter off eBay and its another fun toy.

Now I need to buy a few extra rear lens caps so I can swap the lenses out and not have to store the two mount adapters I have now separately. More so on the screw mount one I got, that thing is a pain in the rear end.

If you need things like adapters or want to check out the nicer security camera lenses, the seller I have been buying from has been good: http://www.ebay.com/usr/rainbowimaging?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2754

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A lot of rear lens caps will interchange. For instance, Olympus OM caps will fit on E-mount lenses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

A lot of rear lens caps will interchange. For instance, Olympus OM caps will fit on E-mount lenses.

My favourite find was that the generic E-mount front cap size (49mm? Fits all or almost all of the crop NEX lenses) fits the old Russian Jupiter-9 that I have.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Well yeah, it's still a 49mm lens cap. I've got a Sigma and Minolta set that's on my NEX lenses right now

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Took my X-T1 to Iguazu Falls in Argentina. I am so so glad it is weather sealed, if I had taken the X-E2 it would surely be dead now. The camera got completely drenched a couple of times, I was afraid I would get moisture inside my lenses but they held out. Eventually I wanna swap the kit 18-55mm for the new 16-55mm just for it being weather sealed.

Image cross-posted from the lanscape thread:

Iguazú Falls by Mannymall

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 4, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

E-M5II announced, has the better VF of the em-1, newer better IS, 40mp mode, 1080/60p video, 10fps shooting, 1/8000 shutter with 1/16000 electronic shutter, wifi, weather sealing, and all the buttons and ports you might want. gently caress yeah.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-ii

also focus peaking and the ability to have the levels and histograms showing at the same time.

e. most importantly the power button isn't in the worst place possible anymore, and the 2 piece battery grip uses the same battery pack portion as the old em-5, so you only need to buy half of it to upgrade instead of spending full price on the 2 piece kit.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 5, 2015

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I am excited to use and abuse that updated stabilization. The updated video specs are decent, too. I think this may be the catalyst to get me going on some fun video projects. I'm also glad that they got rid of the accessory port.

I don't know if I should actually pre-order this or wait until it pops up on Amazon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I mashed the preorder button on amazon, it'll be interesting to see if it actually ships before summer at this rate though. Seems like it fixed every annoyance I had with the em5.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Oh. I was under the impression the Mark II was due to ship out around the end of this month. (Which also gives me some time to meditate on the E-M1, because I'm actually torn between the two to some degree.)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The actual order page on amazon refuses to list an order date, it's just the email that went out that had a date on it. I don't trust it one way or another though.

Also, fuji and sony need to catch up on the accessory game. Don't see either of them selling a red dot sight for their cameras:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

No reason to buy an E-M1 now, unless you have a bunch of old 4/3 lenses. Really impressed with this new camera. If I didn't already have two Sigma Merrills, I'd pounce on it for the sensor shift thingy alone, seems like that almost makes it competitive with MF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQKYgQaNHQ

EDIT: Not sure what the point of that f1.8 fisheye is, though. There are more than enough decent fisheyes for m4/3, whereas a rectilinear 8mm prime would have been a real winner.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 5, 2015

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Mr. Despair posted:

The actual order page on amazon refuses to list an order date, it's just the email that went out that had a date on it. I don't trust it one way or another though.

Also, fuji and sony need to catch up on the accessory game. Don't see either of them selling a red dot sight for their cameras:

What is the red viewfinder thing?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've done a bit of mucking around with the GX7, holy crap there is a lot more going on there than on my old GF1.. The filters, image modes and scenes are definitely numerous.. Looking forward to trying out the time lapse function, and stop motion. I haven't had a chance to try the app, but remote firing the shutter from my phone sounds like a really good idea for long exposure night photography. Previously I would set the camera down and use the 2 second timer, but that could be hit or miss. Just the ability to push photos over WiFi to my NAS is a boon, though it doesn't play nice with my TV for directly displaying photos on that over WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

EDIT: Not sure what the point of that f1.8 fisheye is, though. There are more than enough decent fisheyes for m4/3, whereas a rectilinear 8mm prime would have been a real winner.

They seem to be basically making m4/3 equivalents of every 4/3 lens they had, for better or worse. There was a 4/3 fisheye that almost nobody bought.

THey've also announced a sealed 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6, which is probably nice for travel, but I haven't been impressed with most lenses that keep huge ranges like that.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 5, 2015