Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'd be upset also that some kids cheating in an online music class cost me games and knowingly covering up child rape for years and years and years cost the other guy... um... well, a statue... for now...

:cripes:

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'd be upset also that some kids cheating in an online music class cost me games and knowingly covering up child rape for years and years and years cost the other guy... um... well, a statue... for now...

At least Bobby can take comfort in the fact that he didn't die in utter misery with his legacy in burned ruins around him and the words "kiddy-loving enabler" permanently attached to him. That's a pretty big win IMO.

dadgum

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah I'd be pissed that I was the living coach who wasn't shamed into the grave and was able to see his successor win a National Championship.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its the juco wins not the vacated wins that matter there

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

E: ^^^^^ This is the best option.

Three ooc games would be an issue for Clemson and South Carolina. They're both required by state law to play another, smaller school from South Carolina every year. If either of their conferences moved to a 9-game schedule, they would in effect only get a choice of one game per year between the cross-conference rivalry and the mandated in-state FCS matchup.

Not really a problem though since we only ever fill the 4th OOC with a cupcake. We had this past season: UGA, SC State, GA State, SCar. And that's pretty much our template moving forward. 2015 we have Wofford (small in-state requirement), App State, SCar, and Notre Dame (I guess they count as OOC still?).

I really don't think you need more than 3 OOC games: 1 in-state FCS, 1 cross-conference rival (if you have one), and 1 random P5 team. And if you don't have a cross-conference rival, pick another random P5 team.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 27, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

I wish everyone had to play one OOC game against every other P5 conference every year, randomly selected during some sort of insanely overhyped ESPN show.

I don't watch anything other than games on ESPN, but I would watch the poo poo out of this show.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I don't watch anything other than games on ESPN, but I would watch the poo poo out of this show.

5 machines, each with pingpong balls representing one of their schools.

Drop 2 balls, it'd be like the lottery!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When you steamroll over your OOC slate of Colorado, Wake Forest, Purdue, and Iowa State, you can say "it's not OUR fault we had a weak schedule.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Holy poo poo Sash has a great idea

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dattserberg posted:

Holy poo poo Sash has a great idea

Didn't the SEC say they were going to require all teams to schedule a P5 opponent sometime last year and Kansas reported like a day later that they'd received calls from half the conference?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoguh posted:

Didn't the SEC say they were going to require all teams to schedule a P5 opponent sometime last year and Kansas reported like a day later that they'd received calls from like half the conference?

Probably from the West. They're the worst offenders in the SEC for ooc strength.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
only one certain SEC team should be allowed to beat the poo poo out of Kansas every year

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Scarf posted:

Probably from the West. They're the worst offenders in the SEC for ooc strength.

We always play a p5 opponent so I would say it was probably those Mississippi schools.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Its the juco wins not the vacated wins that matter there

And if you start counting wins at every level then neither he nor Patnero has the record anyway. Gagliardi is almost 100 up on Paterno.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Fluffdaddy posted:

We always play a p5 opponent so I would say it was probably those Mississippi schools.

Yeah Bama schedules their cupcakes like anyone else but they're definitely not backing down from any P5 teams either. I think playing WVU and Michigan in consecutive years proves that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
scheduling against non-Ohio State Big Ten teams really feels like exploiting the system.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

scheduling against non-Ohio State Big Ten teams really feels like exploiting the system.

We haven't played a Pac team OOC since UCLA during the dark times of mike dubose

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State should never have agreed to delay the Alabama games and pounced when they were weak

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sash! posted:

Penn State should never have agreed to delay the Alabama games and pounced when they were weak
Getting them when they can't defend themselves is definitely a model that Penn State had followed with success before.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Groucho Marxist posted:

only one certain SEC team should be allowed to beat the poo poo out of Kansas every year

Agreed :colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
eat grass todd reesing you stupid turd

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Only if Kansas gets to beat the poo poo out of them in basketball.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
that's fine i don't watch the lame dunkless version of basketball

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Groucho Marxist posted:

that's fine i don't watch the lame dunkless version of basketball

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Scarf posted:

Bama and LSU have been pretty good with scheduling OOC games under Saban and Miles. LSU has beaten Washington, Oregon, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and TCU just off the top of my head.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Bama and LSU have been pretty good with scheduling OOC games under Saban and Miles. LSU has beaten Washington, Oregon, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and TCU just off the top of my head.

When they beat TCU, the game was played less than 20 miles away from TCU's campus.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Man I hope this offseason excitement for UNLV translates to on the field production

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There were rumors like a year ago that LSU-PSU was going to be a thing, but I don't know if that ever actually happened.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The last few years Bama scheduled one P5 team and three Charleston Southern-caliber cupcakes each year. Pretty sure they could step their poo poo up a tad.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also, again, the issue most teams that play 9 conference games have with the SEC/ACC/whoever's 8 games isn't just their soft SOS (because as has been pointed out SEC teams do, in fact, often play tough OOC schedules). It's specifically the fact that they get to schedule a cupcake in like week 12 instead of having to play a conference game. That's absolutely huge for a number of reasons, chief among them being that they help avoid upsets late in the season and give the whole conference a bit of a boost by giving a bunch of the teams free wins rather than having half of the conference take another loss since they all had to play each other.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Alabama 2014: 1 Big 12, two Conference USA, one FCS
2013: 1 ACC, 1 Sunbelt, 1 Mountain West, one FCS
2012: 1 Big 10, 2 Conference USA, one FCS
2011: 1 Big 10, 1 MAC, 1 Sun Belt, one FCS

It's definitely not as bad as Florida or the Mississippi's. And I like that they go through multiple conferences instead of just playing one ACC team every year. Also Saban is firmly in the more Power 5 games camp, which isn't something you're hearing from some of our neighboring states.

We definitely schedule FCS teams late because of the loving Iron Bowl though.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
If UAB's football program ever comes back I want there to be a state law Auburn and Alabama have to play them alternating years, that would rule.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

VDay posted:

Also, again, the issue most teams that play 9 conference games have with the SEC/ACC/whoever's 8 games isn't just their soft SOS (because as has been pointed out SEC teams do, in fact, often play tough OOC schedules). It's specifically the fact that they get to schedule a cupcake in like week 12 instead of having to play a conference game. That's absolutely huge for a number of reasons, chief among them being that they help avoid upsets late in the season and give the whole conference a bit of a boost by giving a bunch of the teams free wins rather than having half of the conference take another loss since they all had to play each other.

I think that is a relevant thing but that it mostly hasn't mattered because the bottom of the SEC had something like a 2-48 record against the good teams before last season (whatever that Bob Stoops stat was), so that extra game would have overwhelmingly just meant an extra loss for some team that wasn't relevant to the BCS,

but it does effect things on the margins when some team like Utah ends up with 5 losses but they are actually probably just as good as 2-loss Duke, but then Utah had to play like 7 ranked ranked teams and 9 conference games and Duke played nobody, and so Utah ends up not counting as a quality win only they are good enough that they handed a loss to some other relevant team like UCLA or Arizona, so now UCLA and Arizona are ranked lower and maybe now the 11-1 Pac12 champ after they beat UCLA or Arizona for the second time is in trouble if they are in a #4 vs. #5 battle for the playoff spot because now all the Pac-12 conference teams on their resume have taken a bunch of losses and are undervalued in the rankings.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VDay posted:

While this is a problem, I also think the bigger issue is that a Pac-12 team plays 9 P5 games in conference, but most Pac-12 teams have a P5 OOC game. That's 10 games against P5 competition. SEC teams play 8 conference games, and usually 1 P5 team OOC. So immediately they generally play fewer P5 schools than Pac-12 teams. So even though they may schedule decent OOC competition, this at best gets them to 9 games against P5 competition.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brandon Vandenburg and Corey Batey were convicted today on all charges they faced in the Vanderbilt rape case. Two more players, including one who testified against them, still await trial.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

While this is a problem, I also think the bigger issue is that a Pac-12 team plays 9 P5 games in conference, but most Pac-12 teams have a P5 OOC game. That's 10 games against P5 competition. SEC teams play 8 conference games, and usually 1 P5 team OOC. So immediately they generally play fewer P5 schools than Pac-12 teams. So even though they may schedule decent OOC competition, this at best gets them to 9 games against P5 competition.

It still depends on the schedule and the teams in question though. For example FSU + 2 cupcakes next year is probably a lower expected winning percentage for UF than playing Northwestern, Kansas, and 1 cupcake would be.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I think Washington is trying to do the P5, G5, FCS scheduling now in a way (they term it A-B-C scheduling so take that as you will), except last season Illinois was the P5 team

So yeah, it still depends on the teams in question

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lasagna Pilot posted:

It still depends on the schedule and the teams in question though. For example FSU + 2 cupcakes next year is probably a lower expected winning percentage for UF than playing Northwestern, Kansas, and 1 cupcake would be.
FSU + FAU + FCS is fine and nobody's gonna complain too much (though Florida should leave the loving state when the schedule is 8 games for an OOC thing once in a while). So yeah, it would depend. But the problem is with the 8-game schedule, not a hypothetical 9-game schedule. I can see SEC East teams, because of their out-of-conference rivalries, wanting an 8-game schedule. But on an 8-game schedule you would still want to schedule a good OOC game in addition so you can get to 10 games against P5 schools. Now, if you're just scheduling the dregs, nobody's going to give you much respect for it, but it's still probably better than scheduling the dregs of the Sun Belt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I really don't like the FCS games for the simple reason that the overwhelming majority of them have zero chance of ever winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm ok with other teams scheduling them. That way I can enjoy the occasional upset while still acting smug about how UCLA has never played an FCS team as if that's some kind of actual accomplishment.

• Locked thread