Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'm also starting to slowly realize that I'm a pacifist, and that realization isn't all that shocking to me, what is shocking is how bizarre and out of place that ideology is perceived by others in this country.I've lived in the U.S. my whole life, it really shouldn't be that surprising but for some reason it is. The idea that violence and killing is not acceptable under ANY circumstances is just not something most American's are willing to even consider.

No you are not out of place at all. Pacifism has a long history in the US and it's pacifists are a big part of counterbalancing our military strength. America could pave this planet flat and if we wanted to but the numbers of pacifists we have keep us from doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I thnk it's a little odd that I've heard the word used so often as an insult.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I thnk it's a little odd that I've heard the word used so often as an insult.

A lot of people perceive it as weakness. Their mind right away leaps to a Hollywood scenario where a Bad Guy is about to do a Bad Thing and you are the only one with the means and opportunity to stop them.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
By the way, if Cooper gets a win for this movie. Keaton should punch him in the face. Out of all the actors for best actor, I think Keaton should win hands down. He could act circles around Cooper and I think Cooper knows that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Politics aside.

Saw this over the weekend and the only remotely likable thing about the movie is Bradley Cooper. Even then he feels really wooden. There were some really jarring edits and scene transitions. Not even just disorienting, but bad. The supporting cast was hollow and added very little. This really was not a good film.

There might be an interesting story to Chris Kyle's life, but it wasn't here.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harlock posted:

Saw this over the weekend and the only remotely likable thing about the movie is Bradley Cooper. Even then he feels really wooden.

I found Bradley Cooper's performance to be the only redeeming aspect of the film. I come from a very conservative background and have met many veterans, including those in my extended family, who behave exactly the way he did in civilian life. Cooper was performing someone who really was "wooden" in real life through a combination of internalized values (think of the conservative adulation of the strong, silent, rugged individual), stress from PTSD, and a general sense of alienation from society. His performance was tremendously restrained and subtle, and immediately recognizable to anyone who has met someone like the fictional Chris Kyle. It's really too bad the rest of the film was such bland nothingness and had some really nasty things to say.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sienna Miller has much more screentime in this yet seems like a more complete character in Foxcatcher.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

teagone posted:

Man, you guys sure do hate this movie, lol.

Nation's Pride only took six minutes so yeah it's not gonna get old but an hour and a half long version would get old really fast.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Correction: two hours fifteen minutes. And man does it draaaaag for the entire running time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

http://www.clickhole.com/article/co..._source=twitter

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

teagone posted:

Man, you guys sure do hate this movie, lol.

This is my favorite completely useless statement, followed by "I don't really care that much" and "it's just a movie".

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Fans of this movie are the most brainless human beings I have ever encountered.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
It was a decent action movie. The sniping scenes were great imo. Especially that one, you know which.

Eb
May 6, 2003

myshl0ng posted:

It was a decent action movie. The sniping scenes were great imo. Especially that one, you know which.
Yeah basically people realize they can't call it a bad movie just because they don't agree with its politics so they make up some other reasons. For instance it pretty obviously never "dragged on", if anything it blew through scenes too quickly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eb posted:

Yeah basically people realize they can't call it a bad movie just because they don't agree with its politics

Yeah you can.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eb posted:

Yeah basically people realize they can't call it a bad movie just because they don't agree with its politics so they make up some other reasons. For instance it pretty obviously never "dragged on", if anything it blew through scenes too quickly.

It's poorly paced, looks like poo poo, has no tone or point of view, and has perfunctory action on par with a bad TV show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Calling any movie simply "bad" and moving on is always lazy, its not an opinion that's useful for discussion in any way.

But if a film's politics are so disgusting that it kills my ability to enjoy the story and the characters, I consider that a failing of the film.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There have actually been entire pages of this thread worth of people taking detailed looks at why the film itself is poo poo. The politics are just poo poo icing.

If you want to watch a bunch of action scenes about snipers, go watch Enemy at the Gates. It's not really a great film or anything, but it has a better cast, better pacing, some actual attention paid to cinematography, etc. American Sniper basically ripped off 80% of that movie and stuck an American coat of paint on it anyway (including the smash-cut hunting flashback and using a child for shameless emotional leverage). Kind of weird how many people don't see an issue with American Sniper being treated like an action movie in the first place, but whatever.

It's ok to admit that you enjoyed watching a bad movie.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also, ahaha, in what world is "Go America" a refreshing stance in a war film? Are you forgetting Lone Survivor, Zero Dark Thirty, Act of Valor, Hurt Locker, not to mention the small-scale stuff like Jarhead 2.

A few of these are contentious, but rather than open a huge can of worms I'm going to focus on a particular scene in Hurt Locker. Remember when Jeremy Renner is going on his badass lone wolf war detective mission and he ends up breaking into a guy's house and pointing a pistol at him, and it turns out the guy is a soft-spoken professor who thinks it's pretty cool to have what he assumes is a CIA agent in his house? And then his wife barges in and beats Renner with kitchenware until he fucks off, and she's portrayed as pretty much entirely being in the right?

A scene like that could never happen in the universe of American Sniper, not unless Renner expertly disarmed the wife and then discovered that the kitchenware was actually a cache of AKs for insurgents.

There's a lot of cheerleading, a lot of lionization, a lot of "the bad parts of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are what they do to our American soldiers, not anything to do with local civilians" that goes on in the movies you listed, some more than others. But if someone's referent for modern war films is Bigelow's work, I can easily see how this movie comes across as having more rah-rahs and easy moral answers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
On top of that, pick any one random action scene in Hurt Locker or 0DT. This American Sniper poo poo isn't even in the same universe. Compare the scenes of the crowd gathering at the end of 0DT versus the crowd parading the body in AmSni. One looks like the work of an interesting and thoughtful filmmaker and the other looks like a goddamn episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Stop lying to yourselves folks.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Full disclosure: I'm the shrill leftist harpy who's talking poo poo about this movie without having seen it yet, just going based on the plot descriptions posted here and elsewhere.

That said, I'm curious, Hundu: I've seen a sandstorm battle late in the film singled out for praise as far as visuals go. Was that a lone point of impressive visual filmmaking for you, or is that getting overhyped as well?

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

*same movie but brown guy killing whites*
*progressive atheists cum their pants MOTY 2015*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you want to watch a bunch of action scenes about snipers, go watch Enemy at the Gates. It's not really a great film or anything, but it has a better cast, better pacing, some actual attention paid to cinematography, etc. American Sniper basically ripped off 80% of that movie and stuck an American coat of paint on it anyway (including the smash-cut hunting flashback and using a child for shameless emotional leverage). Kind of weird how many people don't see an issue with American Sniper being treated like an action movie in the first place, but whatever.

That's an amusing comparison because Enemy at the Gates was criticized at the time for taking plenty of liberties with what was the story of a real-life man in a very real battle that killed tens of thousands(maybe more). The main character is Russian, the enemies are Nazi's, the conflict took place more than 50 years before the film was made, and it was still criticized. American Sniper is trying to get away with the same poo poo but without the benefit of literal Nazi's and the passage of time the movie is infinitely more offensive.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Jonny Angel posted:

Full disclosure: I'm the shrill leftist harpy who's talking poo poo about this movie without having seen it yet, just going based on the plot descriptions posted here and elsewhere.

That said, I'm curious, Hundu: I've seen a sandstorm battle late in the film singled out for praise as far as visuals go. Was that a lone point of impressive visual filmmaking for you, or is that getting overhyped as well?

The sandstorm battle was actually cool, and there were a few shots that stood out for me, particularly the image of the wave of sand towering over the city.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

myshl0ng posted:

This is an obvious troll, but Django Unchained got a good amount of criticism here, so still nope.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

myshl0ng posted:

2/10: Basics of trolling understood but misapplied. Please consider remedial training in FYAD or 4chan before continuing.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

sean10mm posted:

This is an obvious troll, but Django Unchained got a good amount of criticism here, so still nope.
What could there possibly be to criticize in Django?

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

If movies make you mad then I guess that's that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

Drab, uninterestingly staged or shot. Jarhead straight up rips off some stuff from Lessons In Darkness but it least it knows what to steal from.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

myshl0ng posted:

A common delusion that conservatives and conservatives bluffing themselves as centrists have is that Leftists un-ambiguously endorse 'reverse racism' in order to mitigate their white guilt. As one might suspect, this is merely a projection of what the conservative, in their heart of hearts, endorses - that if we just stage a reversal of racism as part of a bloody fantasy, this signifies the progression of society into a post-racial consciousness, where the only people who still complain about racism are guilty white liberals and colored people with chips on their shoulders.

People who are actually interested in ethics and aren't just bullshitting to make themselves feel ideologically superior see through these 'reverse racist' fantasies as a symptom of reactionary, conservative racism, not an effective counter to it.

Case in point:

myshl0ng posted:

What could there possibly be to criticize in Django?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's your mark of quality, really, when the "multiculturalism is code for anti-white" psychos crawl out of the woodwork.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Eb posted:

Considering that I had a problem with the politics of the actual events in which the movie in set and seeks to promote, hell yeah I can have a problem with it's politics. Especially when the filmmakers alter actual events and peoples own words to make them more likable since the reality of the situation isn't palatable to the general public anymore.

Anyway, trolls aside, here's some discussion fuel that I found funny:

So if any of you guys follow the D&D Polititoons thread you saw this Horsey comic posted the other day:

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon/display.cfm?cartoonist=HorseD

Kind of a low content comment on both sides of the political spectrum wanting to know if they should like it before seeing it.

Well funnily enough Eastwood himself just put out his thoughts on what his movie is saying and: Link

Eastwood posted:

In the wake of antiwar criticism from the left and pro-war praise from right about his film American Sniper, director Clint Eastwood told those gathered at Saturday’s Producers Guild Award Nominees Breakfast that his film makes “the biggest antiwar statement any film can.”

Eastwood insisted that the film was an “antiwar statement” because it depicted “what [war] does to the family and the people who have to go back to into civilian life like Chris Kyle did.”

“One of my favorite war movies that I’ve been involved with is Letters from Iwo Jima,” he continued. “And that was about family, about being taken away from life, being sent someplace. In World War II, everybody just sort of went home and got over it. Now there is some effort to help people through it. In Chris Kyle’s case, no good deed went unpunished.”

So I was somewhat right in that the movie tries to distract from the idea of "War itself is bad" by trying to focus the audience on "The bad part of war is that is harms our soldiers". He didn't mention anything else about the movie that people are commenting on , like the portrayal of Iraqis or it's portrayal the war itself. But as far as Eastwood himself is concerned the movie is Anti-War because it shows that war harms our soldiers and their families.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

*Clint Eastwood nudges 150,000 dead Iraqi civilians under a comically small oriental rug with his foot*

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jonny Angel posted:

God drat, that scene sucked. It was just a bunch of CGI sand flying everywhere and people shooting blindly. The scene was dark and you really couldn't see poo poo as to what was going on. The framerate (?) also got really weird, I'm assuming, because of the CGI. It felt really visually jarring to me.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

krnhotwings posted:

God drat, that scene sucked. It was just a bunch of CGI sand flying everywhere and people shooting blindly. The scene was dark and you really couldn't see poo poo as to what was going on. The framerate (?) also got really weird, I'm assuming, because of the CGI. It felt really visually jarring to me.

Most of American Sniper's action bits look like they are from a video game, not a movie. The sandstorm is reminiscent of Spec Ops: The Line, while the drone scene feels like Call of Duty. In fact, a good chunk of the film could easily take place in a Call of Duty game.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sinnlos posted:

Most of American Sniper's action bits look like they are from a video game, not a movie. The sandstorm is reminiscent of Spec Ops: The Line, while the drone scene feels like Call of Duty. In fact, a good chunk of the film could easily take place in a Call of Duty game.

The severe lack of 360noscopes is the real crime in all of this.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 27, 2015

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

myshl0ng posted:

Wanna watch this movie.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

myshl0ng posted:

I'd watch a Christopher Doerner movie done like this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Basebf555 posted:

That's an amusing comparison because Enemy at the Gates was criticized at the time for taking plenty of liberties with what was the story of a real-life man in a very real battle that killed tens of thousands(maybe more). The main character is Russian, the enemies are Nazi's, the conflict took place more than 50 years before the film was made, and it was still criticized. American Sniper is trying to get away with the same poo poo but without the benefit of literal Nazi's and the passage of time the movie is infinitely more offensive.

Enemy at the Gates, for all its faults, works a lot harder to humanize its Nazis (in particular the Ed Harris character), sets up tension by showing Zaitsev to be clearly inferior in terms of raw sniping talent to his nemesis (note that Major Konig is the one who makes the 'impossible' shots in that film. Zaitsev wins only because he had people willing to die for him, not because he outshoots the bad guy), muddies the water by showing the propaganda side of war and allows the Soviets to do lots of bad, wrong things.

It is a better film than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fangz posted:

Enemy at the Gates, for all its faults, works a lot harder to humanize its Nazis (in particular the Ed Harris character), sets up tension by showing Zaitsev to be clearly inferior in terms of raw sniping talent to his nemesis (note that Major Konig is the one who makes the 'impossible' shots in that film. Zaitsev wins only because he had people willing to die for him, not because he outshoots the bad guy), muddies the water by showing the propaganda side of war and allows the Soviets to do lots of bad, wrong things.

It is a better film than this.

I forget: Does "Enemy at the Gates" have a scene where it shows Russian machine gunners shooting their own troops if they tried to turn back? Or am I confusing another movie.

• Locked thread