Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

zoux posted:

Does anyone else find the British to be extremely grotesque and unpleasant to look at?

Fixed it for you.

Yes, yes they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

zoux posted:

Does anyone else find the British political cartoons to be extremely grotesque and unpleasant to look at?

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Please tell the class what exactly George Soros did, Glenn.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

D.N. Nation posted:

Native Esperanto speaker. gently caress em

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mister Beeg posted:

So this showed up on my Tumblr dashboard

To a true believer, is the bible just some simple little thing you can get the gist of in half an hour or something?

edit: I mean, I assume this particular picture is a joke, but still.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Samurai Sanders posted:

To a true believer, is the bible just some simple little thing you can get the gist of in half an hour or something?

Depends on whatever your perception is before getting into it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Garrand posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's happening in panel 2, and why is Zed winding up to kick her in the face?
I think it's supposed to be him leaning on a wall, resting his ankle on his other knee. But Muir cannot draw, so the two legs kind of meld together. So yes, if you see the legs as being the other way round, it does look like Waifu is about to get a boot in the face. You've greatly improved that panel by not being able to read it properly.

zoux posted:

Does anyone else find the British political cartoons to be extremely grotesque and unpleasant to look at?
Does anyone else find the American political cartoons to be several large sacks of irredeemable horseshit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I seriously scroll right past em because 1) I rarely know what issues they are addressing and 2) they look like Pink Floyd movies.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

zoux posted:

Politics is a grotesque and unpleasant subject.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

TheDarkFlame posted:

I think it's supposed to be him leaning on a wall, resting his ankle on his other knee. But Muir cannot draw, so the two legs kind of meld together. So yes, if you see the legs as being the other way round, it does look like Waifu is about to get a boot in the face. You've greatly improved that panel by not being able to read it properly.

Does anyone else find the American political cartoons to be several large sacks of irredeemable horseshit?

I come here for those sacks of horse poo poo. The Brit cartoons are slightly too competent and accurate to be entertaining, and also I get to live in Britain and the British cartoons remind me I am doing that.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Glenn, you drew that cop and even he looks like he thinks you're an idiot.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Let's be fair, most American political cartoons are grotesque and unpleasant to look at as well. Martin Rowson can only dream of being as much of an assault on the eyes as say, Ken Catalino or Joe Liccar.

Speaking of whom...

2 "Crusifixions"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

D.N. Nation posted:

The Jews, using their simple minded but brutal pawns the blacks, once again exert their influence over American politics to keep America divided and bring us closer and closer to race war while they make themselves richer and more powerful.

You know, basic stuff from most white power publications.

No idea where Glenn would have gotten HIS theory from, of course, no idea at all...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh bro, we the left isn't making up that fake baby thing as a slight against your beloved Islam murder movie.

Baby looks fake because it is literally a fake baby.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I'm sure certain British political cartoonists are completely unaware their art is a bit nasty to look at and make people feel a bit uncomfortable; surely if you wrote them a letter they would clean up their act.

"Dear Martin Rowson,

Why must you dirty your canvas so with colours like brown and grey, when in fact there are a lot of bright colours you can use to delight the eye in an artistic composition? I have a few handy tips for you:

1. Use a tablet. It makes things immeasurably easier to clean up. I know you're just trying to go over your mistakes (like doing David Cameron a horrible pink, what are you thinking) with your miasma-cloud wash, but really consider the investment in your art. It's time for you Brits to stop doing things like continuing to use pen and paper, for some reason.
2. Declutter your compositions with simple visual metaphors. I mean, yeah sure politics is essential to the chaos of modernity and a bit of a shitfit where nobody quite knows what they're doing, yawn grandad - we GET IT.
3. Simple caricatures. For an artist of your limited ability it is overambitious, because you've ended up making Cameron look like a condom, and George Osbourne has testicles on his nose. This is inaccurate caricature; what you're meant to do is make certain features of their face bigger at the expense of other features on the face. But for now, just try drawing their face accurately.
4. Nice bright colours. Not that difficult really, something to draw the eye, nice and simple to digest. Nobody wants to look at an inky aneurysm, least of all me.

Yours sincerely,

A Concerned Connoisseur of Political Cartoons"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

This is one of those cartoons where a character just says a bunch of reasonable things that we are supposed to see as crazy, right? I hadn't seen one in a while.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 27, 2015

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It's a cute disconnect the right has with American Sniper. On the one hand, If You Don't Like This Movie You Hate America, as if it were still 2004 or something. On the other, the White House is EEEEEEEEVIL I HATE GOVERNMENT ALMOST 50% OF AMERICANS SUCK. For people who demand adherence to their limited view of patriotism, they sure don't like America/Americans that much.

e: And I should mention the troops. Not the nebulous "ARE TROOPS" concept, but the soldiers at constant risk of having their benefits cut by austerity vampire Republicans. Wingnut love of The Troops goes only as far as 1) The idea of them killing those people and 2) Sweet military toys and tanks and laser planes!!!!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Meanwhile, the Administration is expected to open up much of the eastern seaboard for lease to oil companies, but hey, you gotta find SOMETHING to slam Obama on.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oh that's much better Rogers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

J_RBG posted:

I'm sure certain British political cartoonists are completely unaware their art is a bit nasty to look at and make people feel a bit uncomfortable; surely if you wrote them a letter they would clean up their act.

"Dear Martin Rowson,

Why must you dirty your canvas so with colours like brown and grey, when in fact there are a lot of bright colours you can use to delight the eye in an artistic composition? I have a few handy tips for you:

1. Use a tablet. It makes things immeasurably easier to clean up. I know you're just trying to go over your mistakes (like doing David Cameron a horrible pink, what are you thinking) with your miasma-cloud wash, but really consider the investment in your art. It's time for you Brits to stop doing things like continuing to use pen and paper, for some reason.
2. Declutter your compositions with simple visual metaphors. I mean, yeah sure politics is essential to the chaos of modernity and a bit of a shitfit where nobody quite knows what they're doing, yawn grandad - we GET IT.
3. Simple caricatures. For an artist of your limited ability it is overambitious, because you've ended up making Cameron look like a condom, and George Osbourne has testicles on his nose. This is inaccurate caricature; what you're meant to do is make certain features of their face bigger at the expense of other features on the face. But for now, just try drawing their face accurately.
4. Nice bright colours. Not that difficult really, something to draw the eye, nice and simple to digest. Nobody wants to look at an inky aneurysm, least of all me.

Yours sincerely,

A Concerned Connoisseur of Political Cartoons"

I know it's the aesthetic they are going for, I just don't care for it, as a personal matter of taste.

Also isn't there a UK politoon thread maybe they should all go there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Uh bro, we the left isn't making up that fake baby thing as a slight against your beloved Islam murder movie.

Ok Zoux real funny posting someone's slapped together Youtube movie as if it's a scene from an Oscar nominated movie with a budget and star power and poo poo

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
American cartoons look like poo poo, and they don't have the excuse of doing it intentionally.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

colonel_korn posted:

2 "Crusifixions"

The day Muslim extremists become capable of turning a major American city into this:

They will be a more serious threat than global warming. At this moment not even nukes can do that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Ok Zoux real funny posting someone's slapped together Youtube movie as if it's a scene from an Oscar nominated movie with a budget and star power and poo poo

My master plan to undermine patriotism and America itself continues apace.

Mehuyael posted:

American cartoons look like poo poo, and they don't have the excuse of doing it intentionally.

Yeah and we call them out for looking like poo poo. There's a difference between "bad drawling" and "gross boogerman MPs with red sharp teeth on purpose" grotesqueries.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

There's not really any attempt to portray radical Islam as an existential threat, if anything the laundry list of atrocities makes it clear that they've been trying their hardest for decades without seriously threatening western civilization. This one practically AGCs itself.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Still better than most child actors.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

DarklyDreaming posted:

The day Muslim extremists become capable of turning a major American city into this:

They will be a more serious threat than global warming. At this moment not even nukes can do that

I know this is depicting a horrifying and very real possibility, but "Strait Outta Compton" got a laugh out of me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The frist one, the answer is: "stop being a problem that can be bombed into itty, bitty pieces for Kurds to sweep up."

The second one's hilariously accurate.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah and we call them out for looking like poo poo. There's a difference between "bad drawling" and "gross boogerman MPs with red sharp teeth on purpose" grotesqueries.

I don't care if someone thinks British cartoons look grotesque (I skip them myself since I have no clue what goes on there), but at least one person somehow jumped from 'these cartoons are gross' to 'we shouldn't post them here'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the best part of the Bennett is that both of them have a look of completely calm resignation. Jeb isn't angry, Mitt isn't looking desperate to hold on, they're just going 'yep, this is what life is for us this year'.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Kakairo posted:

I know this is depicting a horrifying and very real possibility, but "Strait Outta Compton" got a laugh out of me.

The whole set is full of terrible ocean puns and it's amazing

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is one of those cartoons where a character just says a bunch of reasonable things that we are supposed to see as crazy, right? I hadn't seen one in a while.

Notice how it starts with a dumb thing Michael Moore said to lend an air of legitimacy and then tries to say three thing in a row that are true aren't true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mehuyael posted:

I don't care if someone thinks British cartoons look grotesque (I skip them myself since I have no clue what goes on there), but at least one person somehow jumped from 'these cartoons are gross' to 'we shouldn't post them here'.

Oh yeah? Who said that?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Garrand posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's happening in panel 2, and why is Zed winding up to kick her in the face?

One man's face is in her crotch, her face is in another man's crotch, seems obvious.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh yeah? Who said that?

I wonder. :rolleyes:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
were you not around FOR THIS EXACT DISCUSSION NOT EVEN A MONTH AGO zoux?

Some goons asked to have periodic UK toon updates, so deal

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 27, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

eNeMeE posted:

One man's face is in her crotch, her face is in another man's crotch, seems obvious.

Political Cartoons 2015: One man's face is in her crotch, her face is in another man's crotch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Look, we all agree that global warming is the existential crisis of our time, but anything that results in the destruction of Orange County can't be all bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

Well I don't care for it :colbert:

Dunno if this is strictly a politoon but it's from the Nib and it's funny and correct.

This image is not grotesque and unpleasant to look at, and comes to you authorised by the Federal Department of Zoux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm just wondering what Pennsylvania will look like in the worst case scenario, I would like having beach front property out in Indiana, PA

• Locked thread