Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MrLonghair posted:

I did however find that you've got a hiccup with your recording interface, too low ASIO latency? Many keys on hit a snag like this

(D3, F3, G3, A3, C4, D5, E5, F5, G5, B5 and too many of the black key samples to be able to fill in the empty spaces)

e: Speak up if you want a 76 meg Roland S-550 sample-set with a ton of good stuff, also has wav-conversions for use with non-S series sampler

Hrm, I let synthcatcher run and just sanity checked a couple keys before RARing it up. It looked pretty sketch with an ancient version of savihost included so dunno if that had something to do with it, I've never had ASIO underrun problems before. I'm gonna bite the bullet and end up getting ESC I think. Especially if you want to stick those S550 samples somewhere. :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Roland S-550 sample library, and raw .wav conversions thereof: https://mega.co.nz/#!yN03hCJZ!GW_fQ9R3-kbkHi5fa_O6HWiuIBRckRhI_43ICWwansI
Good percussive library and basses, samples in general (like impact sounds from ball sports including golf), gonna keep it there until February starts

I fixed the top B4 note via sound-wave surgery, not even my super-aurals can pick up the tweak so it's all fine now. It's an oscillation-dupe getting cut causing a pop

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 25, 2015

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Here's the Bonerjamz submission as it currently stands, complete with cheesy wailing guitars, string machines, excessive fadeouts, the works.

https://soundcloud.com/stillvisions/days-in-cali

As usual I made the mistake of making it a longer than expected; I don't like how a bridge section is flowing together so that might get chopped down. All done in live, with the Streichfett used as the non-arpeggiated strings. I think it's got enough sleaze and cheese for the theme at least.

Feedback always appreciated... mixed too loud, guitar too loud, not enough synth cheese, jarring transitions etc.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 25, 2015

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

stillvisions posted:

Made using Live with the Streichfett as a string machine.

I love you.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Roland S-550 sample library, and raw .wav conversions thereof: https://mega.co.nz/#!yN03hCJZ!GW_fQ9R3-kbkHi5fa_O6HWiuIBRckRhI_43ICWwansI
Good percussive library and basses, samples in general (like impact sounds from ball sports including golf), gonna keep it there until February starts

Thank you! I love stuff like this.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Boner Jam after action report:

I used cubasis for this one. I've got some complaints about it. Like all iOS stuff, it can be finicky to use. It's got a weird, unpleasant bug wherein sometimes when you undo/redo it shifts all your tracks up a track, which changes all their levels/mutes/routings. I probably spent more than 4 hours of my boner time just fixing the after effects of that bug. If you record midi using an external controller it does weird things to the note off messages, at least to the extent I was willing to mess with it. Basically, if you record using an external controller and you need to edit the recording, you're better off just rerecording it. The grid snap to doesn't support triplets (though the quantize does) you may notice my boner is kinda out of timing with itself, that is because my beats were done using the weird er-1 triplet time signature where as all the non drum track notes were entered in on straight 1/8th note timing. This loving kills me, but I'd expect it will be added in the nearish future. I couldn't figure out any way to collapse/minimize tracks. Once you get over 4 or 5 tracks poo poo starts to get unweidly. I don't really like the way they handled saving and loading. I work on a track for a month I want to be able to save it, multiple copies of it, I do not like this prospect of "freezing" it.

Still, it's a fully functional DAW on an iPad. It works tolerably well and it works better and more smoothly the more you use it. I wish they'd put in triplet gird snaps, collapsable tracks and fix that loving undo/redo bug. It's definitely worth the 50$ for those who are sitting on the fence, I'm gonna use it for my next track, though I may end up making some of the midi sequences in genome and importing them in. It's real nice having integrated midi and audio on an iPad and, as I've been using Yamaha grooveboxes for sequencers for so long, it's nice to have a genuinely linear sequencer for a change.

The dark horse synth ended up being FM4, also on iOS. It's a 4 op FM synth with really basic modulation. As such, it lacks a bit of depth, but it's super easy to patch, sounds good too. It set me back a whopping 1$ on the intro speciali. For those intimidated by FM synthesis, FM4 is a really good way to get your feet wet without getting overwhelmed. I can't really emphasize enough how easy it is to patch, like, for any synth, let alone an FM synth. It was the boner bass synth.

I finally used my midibox SID synth for the first lead and the arpegiated bit. That turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I wish there was a better editor for it and I wish the design would get updated to make use of the new (modern) core module. I also need to get around to adding the other 6 sids and building the full control interface, maybe when the daughter is in college.

Jx-8p handled the string/pads and the wobblely filtery bass line in the first break.

Cz-101 was used for one of the leads and will probably used for a sustained drone in the last verse. Which every UK goon it was who had memory cards for that thing and wanted to send them to me, please do.

Which brings me to the great iOS disappointment. Casio just released an iOS cz synth. It sounds great, it's easy to patch and it's 4 parts multitimbrle. It does not, however, support background audio which makes it completely useless to me. I had to pay 20$ to find this out and it is, one of exactly two ios synths I know of that don't do background audio.

Drums and quirky noises are all courtesy of the Korg ER-1. Man, that's a fun little beat box. I'm almost tempted to pick up a mark 2 to get a few more voices.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Yesterday I made a track for a friend that's on a gamejam.

https://soundcloud.com/tzer0/the-pressure

I also tried speeding it up from 80 to 130 bpm, here's the result:

https://soundcloud.com/tzer0/the-pressure-130-bpm

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

field balm posted:

E: If we're doing sample requests, anyone have some nice rhodes samples? :shrug:
If it's not too urgent and if I can find a ultra low effort way of doing it, I can pick a nice one from my JV2080. Though I suspect a good Rhodes sound depends a lot on velocity layers, which might be beyond what I'm willing to bother with.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it's not too urgent and if I can find a ultra low effort way of doing it, I can pick a nice one from my JV2080. Though I suspect a good Rhodes sound depends a lot on velocity layers, which might be beyond what I'm willing to bother with.

Raw samples and let the person you're making the samples for do the velocity mappings?

edit: ooo ooo I got a sample request too! Goons making single hit voice noises like what would be on early '90s dance tracks. poo poo like "Ohhh" and "Yeah" and "Ohh Yeah" and "Move" and stuff like that.

edit^2 : A reminder that Saturday is the last day for Boner Jamz submissions. Send your lossless files to Startyde for mastering. If no one else want to do it, I guess I'll do the art and liner notes.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 25, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

I fixed the top B4 note via sound-wave surgery, not even my super-aurals can pick up the tweak so it's all fine now. It's an oscillation-dupe getting cut causing a pop

Tight. Also looking like it might have been my velociraptor taking a poo poo. :rip: Time to make a microcenter pilgrimage.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Startyde posted:

Tight. Also looking like it might have been my velociraptor taking a poo poo. :rip: Time to make a microcenter pilgrimage.

I can't make B4 or D3 clean enough to safely normalize :<

But hell yeah getting this quality out of a cute lightweight plastic slimkeys keyboard weighing less than my first cellphone, that can also run 6xAA batteries for 3-5 hours of play instead of beep-boop electronic sounds :unsmith:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

field balm posted:

E: If we're doing sample requests, anyone have some nice rhodes samples? :shrug:
Re-quoting this because:
http://1drv.ms/15B6AUu

That's the "S.A.E.P." (<- its name) preset on my JV2080 without effects. There's like 10 or more electric pianos on there and this seems the best balanced out and playable one. Sorry if it isn't Rhodesy enough. I prefer Wurlys actually.

Sampling was doable. First make the midi with the notes spaced out enough. C0-B6, four volume layers (127-100-63-20). That's 1.5 hours of recording just the notes. Then use SOX to split them up. Took some googling, so here it is for anyone who's looking to do something similar.
code:
sox in.wav out.wav silence 1 0 0.04% 1 2.0 0.04% : newfile : restart
This skips until a single sample goes above 0.04% (which, after normalizing the whole file was the noise floor of my interface), then writes the data to a file until it encounters 2 seconds below that noise level. Then starts over with a new output file name on the rest of the file.

Then realize the cuts are pretty good, except they don't happen on zero crossings and the lowest velocity level has notes in the highest octave that have had their tails cut because they went below the noise level. Give no fucks. Make SOX do some linear micro fades at start and end:
code:
sox in.wav out.wav fade t 8s 0 0.1
That's an 8 sample fade in and a 1/10th second fade out. Throw that in a batch file that performs that command for all WAVs in the folder. Say all that took half an hour to work out. Will take three minutes next time, if there is one.

Then pull my hair out for three additional hours because I don't realize the new Audition writes WAVs in a different format that not a single program has a problem with, except ShortCircuit², the only real sampler I have available. Try a million things that don't work. Then discover that I can batch convert them to the old type. Ok, alright.

Throw that poo poo in a renamer program, to get to a naming scheme that samplers might recognise as sequential (v is the velocity, n is the midi note number). Zip it up, done!

Now, thanks to the automatic cutting and all the work Roland has done, phase alignment is pretty good and you can crossfade the velocity levels. I'm really not hearing problems with that. Thank god, because just the four as separate layers sounds pretty terrible. I've not normalized individual notes. I'm not sure if I should have, but I guess you'll figure that out on your own if that's what you want. It's all in 24bit, which I guess is nonsense thinking about how big the JV2080's ROM where it came from is, but whatever.

You might want to throw some effects on this, like chorus, tremolo, reverb, delay and certainly some tube or tape saturation. Easy to make it sound better.

Looped sounds; now there's a multisampling nightmare I won't touch again ever. This: comparatively a doddle.

Edit: Found a demo of the preset on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ianfl5z_5Sw

Edit_2: Updated Link

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 26, 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The 7z seems to be 0 bytes large at the moment

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

The 7z seems to be 0 bytes large at the moment
Thanks, I don't know what went wrong there. That'll teach me not to check whether links actually work.

Don't know why re-uploading 220MB has to take 45 minutes either. Maybe I should reboot or something.

Anyway, I updated the link. Here it is again: http://1drv.ms/15B6AUu

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe I should reboot or something.

That solves network problems for me too many times. Using an Intel NIC that should be super-reliable.

Gonna set up some sweet rhodes banks for the MS1 with that bundle, thanks!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I hadn't been paying as much attention to the NAMM stuff as some of you guys have, and I know you've already talked about the new Roland stuff- but after seeing this Gearslutz interview about the JD-Xi, it is actually sounding like a crazy little monster of a synth for only $400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbXZgtW6NY4

EDIT: Too bad about the mini keys. My wallet might be at risk when the JD-Xa comes out though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Radiapathy posted:

I hadn't been paying as much attention to the NAMM stuff as some of you guys have, and I know you've already talked about the new Roland stuff- but after seeing this Gearslutz interview about the JD-Xi, it is actually sounding like a crazy little monster of a synth for only $400.

Showing up as $500 on B&H, but still seems pretty awesome (although I am completely new to synths and could tell my rear end from a CV gate).

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: Too bad about the mini keys. My wallet might be at risk when the JD-Xa comes out though.

would have been nice if the dude they sent to the show actually knew something about the product he was supposed to be selling, but maybe that's too much to ask

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Oh hay guys, John Carpenter's new album just dropped on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/25/379336431/first-listen-john-carpenter-lost-themes

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This just made my day.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

Sorry to double post, but dang, this might be the first modern Roland synth I'll actually consider. I'm interested to see what a final product ends up like.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm kinda disappointed that Korg didn't come up with anything new for the electribe 2, or sneak out a firmware update. I'm pretty frustrated with them right now for two reasons: One, tones of lame rear end bugs in the electribe 2, and two they didn't document an essential feature on the Volca bass.

For part 1, Korg needs to fix the following:

Poly 2 is useless because it has loud, awful clicks every time the envelope triggers during another notes decay/release. No amount of attack will get rid of them.
Patterns don't transition smoothly when one of the patterns has a muted part, making muting useless. You can use part volume to work around this but ugh.
Any midi mangling effect or step jump will desync parts within a pattern, making the effects useless.
When switching parts, effect and note tails end abruptly which sounds like poo poo.
The step editor is powerful but painfully horribly tedious, like editing 4 notes and 2 parameters with two buttons and one knob bad- for 64 steps. Not exactly broken, but not good either.

That's the worst of it there other bugs too.

Second, I just found out yesterday the LFO on the Volca Bass is syncable to tempo by holding func while you twist the knob.. AND it can be controlled via midi CC043.

Ah, Korg, what you document doesn't work and what you don't is really, really useful sometimes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

AxeBreaker posted:

Second, I just found out yesterday the LFO on the Volca Bass is syncable to tempo by holding func while you twist the knob.. AND it can be controlled via midi CC043.

Jeeeesus.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Ok, to balance that bitching out, the things that do work on the electribe 2 sound pretty good. I can get some good resonant sounds out of the filters and I like a lot of the oscillators. Drum patterns are easy to set up in sequencer mode. If they fix the bugs it will be good.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Mein Gott!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

Reading up on the rumors the JD-Xa doesn't have just another analogue and another digital oscillator over the Xi like I said the other day, it's suppose to have 4 of each.

It's also going to be a "flagship" synth so expect it to be at least a grand but a 4 voice poly + 4 osc digital synth with an integrated drum machine would be really impressive, especially since the analogue sounds super musical.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just finished soldering together my Groovesizer Red! Trip report:

-Dropping $100+ on a soldering iron was the best investment I've made in years. I didn't know the squalor I was living in prior to this.
-The build quality on this little guy is pretty crap, but that's reflected in the kit cost. I know I'm the one building it, but I mean the pots and switches. They don't feel like they'll stand much abuse, and the tension on the pots is hilariously uneven.
-It's got its own unique brand of brokenness, probably due to me loving up a couple of solder joints, then fixing them later. I have no idea if I'm hearing what I should be. That being said, it's kind of charmingly lo-fi and unpredictable; in the step sequencer mode, you set pitch in a pretty clumsy button press + knob turn fashion, which is fun in its terribleness. It'll probably end up being another midi module.

All told, there are worse things I could have spent $80 on. However, there are likely much better things that money could have been spent on too, but I wanted to get into synth kits, and for that this was great. I may have hosed the thing up, but I don't really know one way or the other, and I'm not out a ridiculous sum if I did.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 27, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AxeBreaker posted:

Poly 2 is useless because it has loud, awful clicks every time the envelope triggers during another notes decay/release. No amount of attack will get rid of them.

Do you mean Mono 2? KingKorg only has 1 poly mode, but I know that envelope retriggering in Mono 2 mode does have problems like that. It comes from the envelope resetting instantly to 0 then proceeding to the attack stage instead of attacking from the current level, I think. I'll map out the behaviour when I get home, but I do know that the retriggering click is there sometimes.

Does it happen when you put the amp in gate mode? Just curious, as the KK doesn't have this option, and I wonder if they made the same problem with the filter EG.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Speaking of, what's the official submission guideline again?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Patterns don't transition smoothly when one of the patterns has a muted part, making muting useless. You can use part volume to work around this but ugh.
Any midi mangling effect or step jump will desync parts within a pattern, making the effects useless.
When switching parts, effect and note tails end abruptly which sounds like poo poo.
The step editor is powerful but painfully horribly tedious, like editing 4 notes and 2 parameters with two buttons and one knob bad- for 64 steps. Not exactly broken, but not good either.

yeah these are all super annoying, especially on top of all the other minor bugs that are less critical. i really wish they had made a more intuitive step recorder instead of making you record live to do anything more complicated than drum programming. (although knowing korg's documentation this probably already exists and i just don't know how to use it). the step editor also seems to behave weirdly if you're already in sequencer mode when you go into step editor mode.

also if you use the shift-pad shortcuts they added in fw 1.03 in part mute mode it still mutes/unmutes the part corresponding to the pad you hit in addition to the shortcut

the pattern switching release/insert fx cut is just inexcusable imo. i understand that there may be hardware limitations in play if, e.g., there's a completely different effect on the pattern you're switching to but it should be smart enough to tell that if you have the exact same part setup that they don't need to reboot the entire fx engine. for now i'm getting around this by copying the same sound to multiple parts and switching between them using part mute, but this obviously doesn't scale.

the most frustrating thing is that the hardware is actually really really nice. the buttons and knobs all feel great and it generally sounds really really good (modulo the clicking issues) but it just feels crippled by garbage firmware. c'mon korg :argh:

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

AxeBreaker posted:

Similarly, on the Beats, holding func while adjusting the stutter frequency will cycle through fractions of the tempo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MockingQuantum posted:

I just finished soldering together my Groovesizer Red! Trip report:

-Dropping $100+ on a soldering iron was the best investment I've made in years. I didn't know the squalor I was living in prior to this.
-The build quality on this little guy is pretty crap, but that's reflected in the kit cost. I know I'm the one building it, but I mean the pots and switches. They don't feel like they'll stand much abuse, and the tension on the pots is hilariously uneven.
-It's got its own unique brand of brokenness, probably due to me loving up a couple of solder joints, then fixing them later. I have no idea if I'm hearing what I should be. That being said, it's kind of charmingly lo-fi and unpredictable; in the step sequencer mode, you set pitch in a pretty clumsy button press + knob turn fashion, which is fun in its terribleness. It'll probably end up being another midi module.

All told, there are worse things I could have spent $80 on. However, there are likely much better things that money could have been spent on too, but I wanted to get into synth kits, and for that this was great. I may have hosed the thing up, but I don't really know one way or the other, and I'm not out a ridiculous sum if I did.

On a similar note, since I'm interested in getting into synths as well... is it worth it to drop some cash on the Moog Workstatt (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076886-REG/moog_werkstatt_01_moogfest_2014_kit.html)?

There's so much terminology I don't understand since I'm diving right in, and I'd rather actually understand what's happening rather than just memorizing things.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Looks like I"m going to have to record it tonight.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Any (legal or not hard to get .wav/aiff) source of Mellotron samples other than https://web.archive.org/web/20070228111412/http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/aphex/113/index.html ? I've turned those four into MicroSampler banks and they're glorious, the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

sliderule posted:

Do you mean Mono 2? KingKorg only has 1 poly mode, but I know that envelope retriggering in Mono 2 mode does have problems like that. It comes from the envelope resetting instantly to 0 then proceeding to the attack stage instead of attacking from the current level, I think. I'll map out the behaviour when I get home, but I do know that the retriggering click is there sometimes.

Does it happen when you put the amp in gate mode? Just curious, as the KK doesn't have this option, and I wonder if they made the same problem with the filter EG.

There is a poly version in the electribe that re-triggers the envelope on every note, poly 2. Poly 1 doesn't re-retrigger until the last note pressed during the envelope time for the first has been released. The clicks happen whether the amp EG is on or not, and still happen in poly 1 albeit a lot less.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 27, 2015

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

MrLonghair posted:

Any (legal or not hard to get .wav/aiff) source of Mellotron samples other than https://web.archive.org/web/20070228111412/http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/aphex/113/index.html ? I've turned those four into MicroSampler banks and they're glorious, the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Mods please rename MrLonghair to MrMicrosampler tia

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

toadee posted:

Speaking of, what's the official submission guideline again?

pop a boner, send it along

VoodooXT posted:

Looks like I"m going to have to record it tonight.

I've gotten twothree so far so start jerking those knobs

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Startyde posted:

pop a boner, send it along

Ok to you in a PM? Any email for a wesendit link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BonoMan posted:

On a similar note, since I'm interested in getting into synths as well... is it worth it to drop some cash on the Moog Workstatt (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076886-REG/moog_werkstatt_01_moogfest_2014_kit.html)?

Probably not. That's a lot of money for not a lot of synth.

e:

synthdrunk at gmail is the email addy for startyde's mastering service.