Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Puistokemisti posted:

More like.

So winners will keep getting stronger and stronger and the first group to reach the top can teabag everyone else trying to get there. Sounds like pretty solid design. It's like the best part of WoW PvP experience is the gear grind before you actually meaningfully participate but with added bonus that when you get globaled by a fully geared Rogue/Druid attacking from Stealth, they can also steal all your poo poo and make you do the whole grind again.

I can't think of any game that fits what you're describing. Games with looting aren't made with artificial grinds like 'spend 60 daily battleground tokens for this weapon' - recouping losses is a normal part of the experience and a normal part of the player-driven economy.

Losing your ship in EVE sucks, but it happens to everyone, and it gives the players who specialize in building ships a reason to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The other thing full loot does is add some risk vs reward to poopsocking. In UO a vanquishing weapon was a lot better than a GM weapon and definitely gave someone a huge egde, but they weren't used very often because the chance of you during and losing it was so high.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Wadjamaloo posted:

That only exists if you use a lovely wow style progression model. Look at dayz as an example of how the threat of loss can lead to rewarding gameplay.

The thing with Day Z that is completely missing from PVP sandbox MMO's in the last decade is that obtaining awesome gear is doable by anyone at any point in the game. Most Sandbox MMO's put such a big emphasis on crafting that they make it next to impossible for new players to compete in regards to gear.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Jimlit posted:

The thing with Day Z that is completely missing from PVP sandbox MMO's in the last decade is that obtaining awesome gear is doable by anyone at any point in the game. Most Sandbox MMO's put such a big emphasis on crafting that they make it next to impossible for new players to compete in regards to gear.

In Darkfall it was not rare to see newbs with top tier gear, either donated by guildmates or from opportunistic looting.

"Vulturing" is an easy way for a new player to get top gear in a game with full loot. Get in a GvG battle, wait until at least a few enemies are dead, then run over and start picking up as much as you possibly can before you're noticed.

Many guilds ban that kind of vulturing in the middle of a battle, and some ban it even after battles unless they believe you contributed to the fight. But in the latter case it's usually a gray area and most of the time moochers end up with a lot of nice loot.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

MrBims posted:

Losing your ship in EVE sucks

Occam's razor

EVE sucks.

I love that razor.

rage at me
Mar 7, 2006

i can feel your anger
I'm not sure why people find it so hard to wrap their head around gear not being too important in an MMO.

If you play an MMO where the format is to poopsock a dungeon 400 times to get your blue set so you can poopsock the next dungeon 400 times to get your purple set, then of course gear loss on death makes no sense. But frankly I'm not even sure how people enjoy that kind of game.

It would be nice to have an MMO with more to it than just a massive gear grind.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its because thats how MMO's have worked since Everquest.
Getting away from that model would be sweet, the only problem is still do need some sort of carrot on a stick. This is where I think Shadowbane, and to an extent EvE excelled. Progression was more focused around guilds and community building and less on the individual player. In SB character progression was quick and meaningless, it was guild progression and territory control that kept you playing.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

Getting away from that model would be sweet, the only problem is still do need some sort of carrot on a stick. This is where I think Shadowbane, and to an extent EvE excelled. Progression was more focused around guilds and community building and less on the individual player. In SB character progression was quick and meaningless, it was guild progression and territory control that kept you playing.

Yep, precisely. Crowfall seems to be going for a similar system, but it looks like they're introducing an explicit "win" condition, which will likely involve one's guild becoming the king over some territory or possibly an entire world or server.

I think that'll probably either be really fun or really lovely depending on how they implement it. Maybe both.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A neat way to do it would be to have soft resets every 4-6 months, with whoever is the king of the hill at the end getting some kind of reward and then all guilds going back to some sort of starting territory. Incentives to win while also not completely wrecking the loser permanently.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Wadjamaloo posted:

EvE has that model with capital ships that sit on accounts that never get logged in because the slightest risk of losing one is too much for the players to allow.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The Shortest Path posted:

A neat way to do it would be to have soft resets every 4-6 months, with whoever is the king of the hill at the end getting some kind of reward and then all guilds going back to some sort of starting territory. Incentives to win while also not completely wrecking the loser permanently.

How do you combat a guild alliance with 50x the numbers of everyone else that would just win every reset? 80% of server population alliances ruined quite a few servers in SB. I mean DAoC style forcing three specific sides would do the trick, however that limits freedom for guilds and nation building significantly.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 27, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

rage at me posted:

I'm not sure why people find it so hard to wrap their head around gear not being too important in an MMO.

If you play an MMO where the format is to poopsock a dungeon 400 times to get your blue set so you can poopsock the next dungeon 400 times to get your purple set, then of course gear loss on death makes no sense. But frankly I'm not even sure how people enjoy that kind of game.

Those aren't fun and don't satisfy that urge people have in their reptilian brain to see numbers go higher. If you can't condescend to someone because they haven't min-maxed their gear the same way everyone else has on the server, where's the fun?!

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Rad Russian posted:

How do you combat a guild alliance with 50x the numbers of everyone else that would just win every reset? 80% of server population alliances ruined quite a few servers in SB. I mean DAoC style forcing three specific sides would do the trick, however that limits freedom for guilds and nation building significantly.

It depends on how it's implemented. I do suspect zerging may become an issue.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Zarithas posted:

In Darkfall it was not rare to see newbs with top tier gear, either donated by guildmates or from opportunistic looting.

"Vulturing" is an easy way for a new player to get top gear in a game with full loot. Get in a GvG battle, wait until at least a few enemies are dead, then run over and start picking up as much as you possibly can before you're noticed.

Many guilds ban that kind of vulturing in the middle of a battle, and some ban it even after battles unless they believe you contributed to the fight. But in the latter case it's usually a gray area and most of the time moochers end up with a lot of nice loot.

True, but that wasn't the majority of peoples experience. It got a bit better after they added the auction house, but early on it was rough on solo's and small groups.

Rad Russian posted:

I think there has to be more incentive than just owning a part of the map. for example you could have the upkeep for land you own be ridiculous and rely on player commerce within that land to be essential to being able to keep it. If zerg and act like dicks to the whole of the server you could essentially just get starved out of your own holdings.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 27, 2015

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Rad Russian posted:

Talk to the second in command of this ginormous alliance and ask him how he would fare against the first in command if he split off with all his most loyal followers. Would he succeed or fail? The temptation alone is almost too great to resist. Or, in other words, politics.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rad Russian posted:

Bring your own alliance in, pre plan before the next reset, get more new players and zerg the poo poo out of it where applicable

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Biowarfare posted:

Bring your own alliance in, pre plan before the next reset, get more new players and zerg the poo poo out of it where applicable

You're kind of retarded. This isn't Starcraft. You can't just build more units.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vorgen posted:

Talk to the second in command of this ginormous alliance and ask him how he would fare against the first in command if he split off with all his most loyal followers. Would he succeed or fail? The temptation alone is almost too great to resist. Or, in other words, politics.

A nice fantasy but you aren't thinking it through. Your hypothetical second in command doesn't get anything from his hypothetical coup. In such a structure, all players in the winning alliance have a vested interest in not rocking the boat.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Those aren't fun and don't satisfy that urge people have in their reptilian brain to see numbers go higher. If you can't condescend to someone because they haven't min-maxed their gear the same way everyone else has on the server, where's the fun?!

Looting games satisfy the urge people have in their reptilian brain to loving smash people over the internet. I can't remember any point in the last two years that you didn't have Day-Z or a Day-Z clone in the top 3 of steam sales.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MrBims posted:

Looting games satisfy the urge people have in their reptilian brain to loving smash people over the internet. I can't remember any point in the last two years that you didn't have Day-Z or a Day-Z clone in the top 3 of steam sales.

it is legitimately satisfying to play a full loot game and gain in 30 seconds, what it might have taken someone hours to gather

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
did somebody say fantasy sandbox mmo with open-world pvp that you can early access up to $5000 in a way that easily enables this company to take your money and run I THINK SOMEONE FUCKIN DID

https://goblinworks.com/pathfinder-online/

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

A Fantasy Sandbox

The world of Pathfinder Online is highly persistent. You will make meaningful impacts on the world as you build structures, create a economy of player character crafted goods, and struggle for territorial control.

Open World PvP

You will struggle for control of territory, trade routes, and resources with other players. Conflict is central to the game, and often conflict will mean combat. Some areas of the world are safer than others - but the more risk you take, the greater the rewards you will earn.
Combat between player characters should be meaningful. Randomly attacking others without context will damage your character's reputation, affect their alignment, potentially flag the attacker for retribution by others, trigger bounties, and over the long term, force the character to live and train only with others of a similarly murderous bent, significantly impacting their abilities.

A Player Driven Economy

With the exception of some low-level gear for new players all the equipment, supplies, building materials, and consumables in the game will be created by player characters from resources they harvest and exchanged via in game markets. Characters will have to arrange to transport their raw materials, intermediate processed components, and finished goods to crafting facilities and then to active markets.

Develop Your Character The Way You Want To

You can play as an iconic role familiar to players of the tabletop Pathfinder roleplaying game - an adventuring hero like a Fighter, Wizard, Cleric or Rogue (and in time, like the other classes in the tabletop RPG) or you can explore many more ways to develop your character. The world of Pathfinder Online is a superset of the tabletop experience. Characters can be spies, diplomats, soldiers, teamsters, explorers, or hundreds of other occupations and specialties. You will determine how your character develops. Follow a traditional role, or mix & match character abilities as you see fit to create your own customized and unique approach.

And Much, Much More

i hope your boner is as big as mine for this stellar entry into the mmo genre from a company i've never heard of before

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

i hope your boner is as big as mine for this stellar entry into the mmo genre from a company i've never heard of before

im pretty sure I heard they have a subscription even in early access which is hilarious

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

im pretty sure I heard they have a subscription even in early access which is hilarious

lmao

and of course the forums are restricted to early accessers so that every singler poster is sure to have sunk cost

we need an echo chamber of positivity stat

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

lmao

and of course the forums are restricted to early accessers so that every singler poster is sure to have sunk cost

we need an echo chamber of positivity stat

they managed to find an even more purestrain echo chamber than star citizen, lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The 20,000 or so folks who will be admitted into early enrollment play (a number that includes the 7,000 Kickstarter backers) are expected to pay $15 a month as the team continues to develop the title. In exchange, characters and progress will not be wiped, and players will get to see the game take shape around them.

haha holy gently caress pathfinder online, you cray

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
lmao jesus christ

a monthly fee on a loving alpha of their game so that you can be one of The Established

and it's totally clear that, if this mmo were to actually exist, it's going to be loving new players so goddamn hard

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we'll see how crowfall does, and I paid for Albion Online alpha (but at least they are wiping and I get goodies on launch) so I guess I can't judge too much

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cool art style

they are saying all the right things, but every dev does before the game comes out

:goonsay:

quote:

Please, please, please get some help with the horse body model. Horses are extrememly difficult to get right in an animation and impossible without a deep knowledge of equine anatomy. You can see every leg bone and joint and major muscle group on a horse, you can't just wing it when trying to model one or you end up with a strange looking fugly horse and you don't exactly know why.

Your stifle joint is too low. This should be barely below the belly, not halfway down the leg. Hoof wall angle is too vertical. The front knee on a horse is very angular, but the flat face of that joint splits the difference between the angle of the cannon and radius. It doesn't stay parallel to the cannon as depicted in the concept art. And it isn't so lumpy. The triceps brachii muscle just above and behind the front elbow is one of the major visible muscle groups on a horse, neglecting to emphasize it makes the shoulder look weak and puny. Another major visible muscle group is the gaskin. It needs definition.

Now the above might sound super picky and you could say, hey we aren't going for realism here, but would you draw a human warrior with weak biceps? Or no pectoral muscles? No Abs? Deltoids? These major muscle groups are critical to get right even in a cartoon style, or it just ends up looking weak, or mutant and wierd. Likewise, omitting joints in the lower leg... it happens all the time in horse animations and it's obvious.

Use well conditioned and conformed horses as reference models. They look entirely different than pasture puffs. There are plenty of ugly real life horses, too.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I, too, demand realism in my fantasy creatures.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

Put a cap on guild and alliance sizes, have exponentially increasing taxes on property or guild members, add some sort of incentive for guilds to betray alliances, there are all sorts of ways to do it.

Heck, you could just make the gameplay heavily skill-based so that zergs do jack poo poo against competent players.

Personally I think the best way to do it would be to make it take an actually significant amount of time to get from place to place, so if a large guild gets attacked somewhere they can't mobilize before stuff gets burned to the ground. But that's really player-unfriendly and won't work in an actual game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest way to combat a zerg? Have AOE abilities that do more damage as people are bunched up

If your AOE hits 1 dude? might as well have hit him with a pillow, hits 10+ dudes? its pretty damaging

idk I think thats what the Albion Online people are doing and it kind of makes sense

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Anti-zerg mechanics will ensure that no goon guild will be successful.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Put a cap on guild and alliance sizes, have exponentially increasing taxes on property or guild members, add some sort of incentive for guilds to betray alliances, there are all sorts of ways to do it.

Heck, you could just make the gameplay heavily skill-based so that zergs do jack poo poo against competent players.

Personally I think the best way to do it would be to make it take an actually significant amount of time to get from place to place, so if a large guild gets attacked somewhere they can't mobilize before stuff gets burned to the ground. But that's really player-unfriendly and won't work in an actual game.

Darkfall was pretty skill based but zergs were still an issue. It definitely could've been way more of an issue if they dumbed down the combat though.

Fast/insta travel vs. realistic travel is usually one of the most contentious issues in sandbox games. In Darkfall a lot of people were very against it, and a lot of people were all for it. The devs eventually created a system where you could travel between cities owned by the same clan if they built a portal, and you'd have to farm semi-rare items which would grant you access to the portal and be consumed each time you use one.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That sounds pretty decent, actually.

I know darkfall got a rerelease or some poo poo somewhat recently, is it actually alive? I might try it out to get a feel for what went wrong.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Puistokemisti posted:

Anti-zerg mechanics will ensure that no goon guild will be successful.

Then we know it must come to pass.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

rage at me posted:

i can almost touch the elitism oozing out of this post

if only all those sheeple realized how wrong they are

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

oh u guys found crowfall. i signed up on the forums to figure out what it was since the main page doesn't tell you much and boy howdy they are a pretentious bunch in there. and im not talking about just the hopeful players.

they have a speech somewhere about how if you're on the forums then you are like the future of MMOs and want something truly unique and new lol

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

they have a speech somewhere about how if you're on the forums then you are like the future of MMOs and want something truly unique and new lol

I am literally giggling like a maniac. It's Groundhog Day again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets posted:

oh u guys found crowfall. i signed up on the forums to figure out what it was since the main page doesn't tell you much and boy howdy they are a pretentious bunch in there. and im not talking about just the hopeful players.

yea like, if they make a fun game ill play it, but the amount of :smug: from the players and devs is hilarious

its mostly "man im so glad we aren't plebs and like this dead niche in a dead-ish genre"

• Locked thread