Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Elliotw2 posted:

For those who joined us for the first time tonight, please don't be scared off. We usually are able to actually win matches.

Haha, no, we have been terrible at pub matches for a while. We only seem to be able to win at all when there are less than 4 goons in a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014
What is with the super hate. We can do pretty well a good chunk of the time. Tbh the biggest issue I've come across over the past few days is the discos at the start of the match causing us to have out of position mechs or ruining morale. On average we're average so we're going to lose some win some etc.

Also clan mechs are on cbill sales tonight so eat up some stormcrows and or Timberwolves for pub dropping or for future use and if you have a metric ton of cbills buy three of each. They benefit so much from speedtweak given the fixed engines and urge to run hot.

Also if you've already got all of these pick up a warhawk they can be pretty mean and less vulnerable to get into bad positions with a sexy speed tweaked 71kph . Don't let the trial build scare you

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I had to opened up a ticket a couple of weeks ago to try and resolve the patch loop problem I'd been having. I solved it on my own before the ticket system got around to me. I had to change my DNS settings, which is frankly ridiculous, but there you go. Anyhow, when the PGI support rep finally sent me an email, I just told him that I'd resolved my problem and to close the ticket. For my trouble he hooked me up with 2 weeks of banked premium time, so that's not a bad deal.

I guess the moral of the story is if you've got a legit problem, try the support ticket lottery?

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Words words

Two months ago I wouldn't believe this kinda thing happened. It's almost impressive how much the development and support changed since insert money to fly failed to takeoff

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It depresses me just how bad the Atlas is, in non-ECM cases. I finally finished getting all basic skills for the AS7-RS(c), AS7-D-DC and the Boar's Head, but sweet christ was it a chore. The AS7-RS(c) in particular is the worst, most overheating pile of hot garbage I've ever had the misfortune of piloting for an extended period of time. The Boar's Head can at least brawl for 10-15 seconds without shutting down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Talmonis posted:

It depresses me just how bad the Atlas is, in non-ECM cases. I finally finished getting all basic skills for the AS7-RS(c), AS7-D-DC and the Boar's Head, but sweet christ was it a chore. The AS7-RS(c) in particular is the worst, most overheating pile of hot garbage I've ever had the misfortune of piloting for an extended period of time. The Boar's Head can at least brawl for 10-15 seconds without shutting down.

The RS was never a good brawler anyway - stick a 4 LLs/ERLLs and a gauss rifle on it and it was pretty good at drilling fuckers out at medium to long range. Unfortunately a) ghost heat and b) clans being able to do the same job much better means it's pretty bad now.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
To be fair I was only around for one real match, but we did win it handily. The biggest thing that keeps me from even bothering to log into mumble is the queue time and likelihood of having to play Turret Warrior Online. Also it is better C-bills/hour for me to sit in the skirmish queue than to participate in CW.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Hi guys is this game fun and good yet and should people not feel terribly ashamed to even suggest that it is playable

haha that wasn't really a question we all know it isn't and you should go gently caress yourselves

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Prawned posted:

Hi guys is this game fun and good yet and should people not feel terribly ashamed to even suggest that it is playable

haha that wasn't really a question we all know it isn't and you should go gently caress yourselves

Saw the last post was by you so I just had to go look. Ok I got a good laugh from this one. :)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I bought a stalker 4n as my first assault while it was on sale, and i'm having a lot of fun trundling around shooting robomen with big rear end lasers. decided i wanna invest in this line of giant chicken mech.

I've got enough to buy a second one while this sale is still going on. i'm considering the 3f because better yaw sounds nice, or the 5m because srms are fun. also considering waiting for the 5s to be on sale down the road because it seems good too, but i've got 6k spacebux burning a hole in my pocket during a sale, you know?

Wondering which stalkers people like and why, basically.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, does anyone have any of the PCgamer paint codes left over?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, does anyone have any of the PCgamer paint codes left over?

I think that's been over for a while.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

brainSnakes posted:

I bought a stalker 4n as my first assault while it was on sale, and i'm having a lot of fun trundling around shooting robomen with big rear end lasers. decided i wanna invest in this line of giant chicken mech.

I've got enough to buy a second one while this sale is still going on. i'm considering the 3f because better yaw sounds nice, or the 5m because srms are fun. also considering waiting for the 5s to be on sale down the road because it seems good too, but i've got 6k spacebux burning a hole in my pocket during a sale, you know?

People like the -5M Rhino a lot (lots of SRM6s and MLs, get close, fire all the missiles)

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Cosmic Afro posted:

I think that's been over for a while.

There was actually a few hundred that were collected somewhere, might be in the op or the other place somewhere , but I thought they weren't completely out. Sorry this post isn't more helpful.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I thought there was an expiry date on the codes but maybe I'm way off on that one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I made an alt for clan CW and goddamn why does this game store every single setting under your profile? Why would I want to use completely different graphic settings for a different account on the same computer?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

brainSnakes posted:

Get the one with large laser quirks and the 5M for a SRM6-Medium laser build.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I love me some srms, so the 5m it is. comes with double heat sinks already installed too, that's a nice little bonus.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Washout posted:

Get the one with large laser quirks and the 5M for a SRM6-Medium laser build.

I see people mentioning quirks and attributes of certain mechs. Do mechs have hidden stat bonuses to certain weapon types or is that part of the upgrade tree?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I see people mentioning quirks and attributes of certain mechs. Do mechs have hidden stat bonuses to certain weapon types or is that part of the upgrade tree?

When you point at a Mech in the store or mechbay, you'll get a popup like this that shows all the quirks a mech has. Almost all IS Mechs have quirks that make them better with something in particular.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Revolver Bunker posted:

Basically a bunch of poo poo-tier mechs got pumped up into viability by giving them both armor and weapon bonuses. Pre-quirks, Thunderbolts were terribad, but put 7 MPLs on a -5SS or 3 ERPPCs on a -9S and you have some of the best IS mechs in the game.

Here's a list:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#mechs_quirks_light_innersphere

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
For the -5M I use 5 SRM'S, STD 300 engine, and 2 LL. DHS and endo, get like 500-700 ammo, fill rest with DHS. Use LLa's to poke, and when in SRM range (311m due to quirks) only use your SRM's. You have to down armour each leg to like 65 I think. Torso twist all the time, use 2 weapon groups (left+right) for srm's to avoid ghost heat and 3rd group for both lasers. Also remember to keep bay doors closed for the mid range poking, but open them just before you're in SRM engagement range. Another fun alternative is to drop one SRM, (so two per side), remove LLa's and add 2 PPC'S. You can even get artemis if you want this way at the expense of 4 tons iirc, but that is 4 DHS, so YMMV.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 27, 2015

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ladies and Gents, our midweek tournament.

20 MC (up to 2000) per qualifying match of 130 points under this formula:

Match Points = (Kills × 10) + (Kill Assist × 20) + ((Damage Done - Team Damage) ÷ 15)

I don't love that assists are worth double that of kills again, but I'll take it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
You'd rather have everyone trying to be the next kill stealer 2000?

quote:

Okay MechWarriors, it's time to cash in. For the rest of January every match in MWO is a chance to earn reward MC.Players will earn 20 MC per match when they score 130 points or above under the formula below. The maximum a player can earn during this event is 2000 MC. The reward MC will be injected into your account after the event ends.
Match Points = (Kills × 10) + (Kill Assist × 20) + ((Damage Done - Team Damage) ÷ 15)

Get 7 assists per game = 20 MC. 100 games = 2k MC. Enjoy (or not).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, time for me to load up on MC since I'm an assist machine anyway.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'd rather kills and assists be worth the same, at least!

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

novaSphere posted:

Thank you Reddit for reminding me that there are people who do not have a working understanding of order of operations or basic multiplication. :psyduck:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Is it just me or is the Vindicator-1AA really good for solo-drops? that Mobility with an XL, max JJs and 2 PPCs is insane. Now that i am getting the hang of aiming those PPCs somewhat reliably on CTs and some basic map awareness and the only time i ever get caught is if i managed to get chased down by some lights that can actually keep up. That and the fact that it looks like some kind of ugly pigman-mech is making me play it all the time.

Even thinking of going with some kind of hideous Gauss Rifle variant on the last -1x. Suspect it will be bad though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Thank you Reddit for reminding me that there are people who do not have a working understanding of order of operations or basic multiplication. :psyduck:

This sounds like something I would love to read. :allears:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Westy543 posted:

But that's actually from the official website?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What is '((Damage Done - Team Damage) ÷ 15)' supposed to be the amount of damage your team did vs the amount of damage it took? So if you steamroll someone and don't have a chance to get assists you may get the points still?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FatCow posted:

What is '((Damage Done - Team Damage) ÷ 15)' supposed to be the amount of damage your team did vs the amount of damage it took? So if you steamroll someone and don't have a chance to get assists you may get the points still?

It's the total damage you did minus any damage you did against teammates divided by 15

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
It's your damage versus your friendly fire damage. It is a dumb and confusing thing and when I first saw that formula I also thought it was doing some bullshit with how much damage your team does etc.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ArchangeI posted:

But that's actually from the official website?

Yes, and people aren't understanding it:

quote:

Is it me or are a lot of people missing the "÷15" at the end of the formula?

Granted, i suck at math, but it looks to me like just getting 7 assists and doing some damage won't cut it. 7 assists plus 150 damage = 140 + 150 = 290 pts, now divide that by 15. It's 19.33 which is not even close to the 130pts required.

Am i missing something? Probably.

----

quote:

Neat, but I doubt I'll get anything. I rarely get kills (scout/harrasser or LRM boat), and don't usually do much damage either.

S'ok. I'll still have fun, and if I get some extra MC, wootness will ensue.

To which someone said they just need 7 assists. They asked "can you show me the math?"

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Should just tell them to take a closer look at the parentheses. I also had an idiot moment until I saw the second set.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Talmonis posted:

Should just tell them to take a closer look at the parentheses. I also had an idiot moment until I saw the second set.

The kind of people that would type "much wootness" unironically in TYOOL 2015 probably aren't very bright

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

brainSnakes posted:

The Stalker 4N with 4-6 large lasers is one of the best IS assault mechs in the game, the 3H with 4 ER large lasers is pretty fantastic at any sort of long range fight(such as boreal in CW, and alpine peaks), and the one with the large pulse quirks(5S I think?) is like a banshee 3M but way worse(still better than the other variants though). People probably still put SRMs and medium lasers on stalkers but brawling is garbage and brawler mechs that don't go over 80 kph and/or have REALLY loving good torso twist(which none of the stalkers including the 3F have) are especially terrible, so you should probably just leave that old fashioned poo poo by the wayside

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The kind of people that would type "much wootness" unironically in TYOOL 2015 probably aren't very bright

Sad but true. Though look on the bright side, this also coincides with the Clan sale. Stormcrowmeggedon will happen sooner than I thought.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

garth ferengi posted:

The Stalker 4N with 4-6 large lasers is one of the best IS assault mechs in the game, the 3H with 4 ER large lasers is pretty fantastic at any sort of long range fight(such as boreal in CW, and alpine peaks), and the one with the large pulse quirks(5S I think?) is like a banshee 3M but way worse(still better than the other variants though). People probably still put SRMs and medium lasers on stalkers but brawling is garbage and brawler mechs that don't go over 80 kph and/or have REALLY loving good torso twist(which none of the stalkers including the 3F have) are especially terrible, so you should probably just leave that old fashioned poo poo by the wayside

Yet more proof that you hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Put lrms on mech, shoot everything, get 2000 mc.

• Locked thread