Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Popular Thug Drink posted:

is this one of those things where i need to assert that i believe murder is bad before we start talking about the other thing

im not going to read that huge flaming midden of a thread just to get some insight about why you have a stick up your rear end about internet leftists

No, Popular Thug Drink, I was not inviting a big conversation to kill this thread stone dead, I was suggesting that the typical opinion expressed is so superficial fart noises would be a meaningful response to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not trying to concern troll, she is no different than many kickstarter people who are either far behind deadline or are just failing deliver overall. If you promise something to people in exchange for money you should do your best to deliver.

Edit: I'll drop the subject, I really had no idea people felt so passionately about it here.

What's wrong with being a social justice warrior?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bwee posted:

What's wrong with being a social justice warrior?

Iv not mentioned that once?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

No, Popular Thug Drink, I was not inviting a big conversation to kill this thread stone dead, I was suggesting that the typical opinion expressed is so superficial fart noises would be a meaningful response to it.

if steven colbert couldn't stop himself from 'satirizing' islam like bill maher does it's fair to suspect one of being islamophobic

for the record, i do believe that murder is bad, and any criticism, opinion, statement, notion, or otherwise communicated thought should be interpreted in that context. Thanks.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

making 8,600 dollars a month right now for filming on a macbook and a mid-level Canon vixia with the onboard microphone. If you haven't seen the video where they're talking and you literally cannot hear what Owen is saying because he's outside the cone for the microphone on the macbook, it's loving adorable.

The one thing gamergate has taught me is that people who think they're smart are going to get bilked out of their money forever, and I kinda wanna get in on that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They are of the staunchest anti-racist newspapers in France, and I'm sick of anglo-american "leftists" simply accepting the line that they were racists because they take their caricatures at face value. You might as well call Colbert or the Onion racist.

I sometimes wonder what kinds of articles would be used to show that the Onion was racist if someone shot up their offices.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Poizen Jam posted:

Even South Park pulled a 180 as of the last couple seasons, and seems to be treating some things as just not worth making fun of. I was particularly taken aback by The Cissy and it's portrayal of trans issues. I was admittedly cringing at the thought of South Park tackling the issue. But when I watched it, I discovered it was a sharp departure from the Mrs. Garrison arc in its treatment of transexual people, and totally shrugged off the typical South Park 'truth is in the middle' rhetoric in favour of taking an actual stand.

That was a surprisingly tolerant episode, but then two weeks later they showed a disabled boy getting raped by a man in a dress. So they're still willing to invoke trans-panic when they think it's funny.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
South Park's entire shtick is offending people, that's what they set out to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

South Park's entire shtick is offending people, that's what they set out to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

No they've held a fairly consistent political view over the years, that claims to be equally offensive but generally represents a bias. That's not to say they haven't shifted over time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Venom Snake posted:

And here I always thought it was a show about getting cheap laughs out of profanity and shock value. Shows what I know.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Crain posted:

I think the "she took money and then did nothing" fails as a criticism because that's a) not unique to anything on the internet, even major studios and b) she has produced videos. Criticizing her for being behind schedule is fine, I guess, but still only tangential at best. She is still dealing with thousands of rear end in a top hat constantly harassing her. Also keep in mind that she's been invited around to many industry events and to talks at major developers. I can forgive her for delaying the internet videos that the target audience has made clear that they won't accept the message, in lieu of talking to people who are receptive and can actually change the way women/minorities are represented in gaming.

It also fails as a criticism because the people chomping at the bit to harass her for 'taking money and doing nothing' generally did not give her money to start with, nor are they interested in seeing her videos except to wait for the inevitable response from neckbearded shitlords.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not trying to concern troll, she is no different than many kickstarter people who are either far behind deadline or are just failing deliver overall. If you promise something to people in exchange for money you should do your best to deliver.

Edit: I'll drop the subject, I really had no idea people felt so passionately about it here.

You're in the same boat as these dudes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

wolverines *buys guns because of isis video*

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Crain posted:

Who here has actually watched any of her videos?

I watched the one thunderfoot cherry picked, and one other, been a while now tho. She tends to pad the indictment, giving critics something to work with. Bugs the poo poo out of me when people who have otherwise damning evidence do that.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
edit: wrong thread

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Luigi Thirty posted:

wolverines *buys guns because of isis video*

It should be noted that Fox News' website has been referring to ISIS members as "thugs" today. Apparently, the people in Ferguson are equal to beheading terrorists.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if steven colbert couldn't stop himself from 'satirizing' islam like bill maher does it's fair to suspect one of being islamophobic

for the record, i do believe that murder is bad, and any criticism, opinion, statement, notion, or otherwise communicated thought should be interpreted in that context. Thanks.

Maher is probably Islamophobic, yes, and I'm sure that you have a more nuanced view on the issue, but that's not what I meant, nor is your second sentence what I desired, nor am I intending to encourage you to put on your best paralegal cosplay. I'd like to apologize for the lack of clarity.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VideoTapir posted:

thunderfoot

Now there's a name I could have gone my whole life thankful to have never heard again. Christ what an rear end in a top hat that guy is.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Who What Now posted:

Now there's a name I could have gone my whole life thankful to have never heard again. Christ what an rear end in a top hat that guy is.

How that guy ever got away with criticizing anyone is beyond me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crain posted:

I remember that very early in his "career" he just made fun of some creationists. It was typical smug atheist bullshit but 14 year old me thought it was funny. Then one day he shifted gears in it was nothing but "those loving WHORE WOMEN saying things I don't like! And those FILTHY IGNORANT BROWNS, too!" :aargh:

Seriously, gently caress that guy.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Crain posted:

Thankfully, I didn't have to click on a video to give him the hits. Rational Wiki took care of me! :thumbsup:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

You're in the same boat as these dudes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdIHK8O5yo

No I'm not, because I am neither a white supremacist or a preacher of dark enlightenment.

Zeitgueist posted:

No they've held a fairly consistent political view over the years, that claims to be equally offensive but generally represents a bias. That's not to say they haven't shifted over time.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And here I always thought it was a show about getting cheap laughs out of profanity and shock value. Shows what I know.

In every interview they have been given were they are asked why 2 guys who are fairly socially and economically liberal often making fun of stuff like global warming they have always commented on that they believe no one is above being made fun of, that includes both those on the left and the right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

No I'm not, because I am neither a white supremacist or a preacher of dark enlightenment.

In every interview they have been given were they are asked why 2 guys who are fairly socially and economically liberal often making fun of stuff like global warming they have always commented on that they believe no one is above being made fun of, that includes both those on the left and the right.

Pretty weird that it's more of a 90-10 split focused on liberal ideas then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I sometimes wonder what kinds of articles would be used to show that the Onion was racist if someone shot up their offices.

Reminds me of when someone posted the "By Allah, white people are so stupid" cartoon in the Political Cartoons thread a while back and people weren't aware it was a goon-made parody. I can imagine someone going through that thread and using a bunch of the parodies from some of the more prominent posters as proof that we're all crazy racist right-wingers.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Reminds me of when someone posted the "By Allah, white people are so stupid" cartoon in the Political Cartoons thread a while back and people weren't aware it was a goon-made parody. I can imagine someone going through that thread and using a bunch of the parodies from some of the more prominent posters as proof that we're all crazy racist right-wingers.

Poe's law is a hell of a thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Who What Now posted:

Pretty weird that it's more of a 90-10 split focused on liberal ideas then.

I'm sure they've done episodes making fun of people who believe in gravity or the conservation of energy, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crain posted:

Poe's law is a hell of a thing.

It's not even Poe's Law though, it's literally a bunch of people who've never even glanced at French news looking at their political satire and going "WHAT?! RACISTS!"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's not even Poe's Law though, it's literally a bunch of people who've never even glanced at French news looking at their political satire and going "WHAT?! RACISTS!"

I meant the polititoons thread example. There were so many legitimate comics that were just as bad, if not worse, as the "By Allah!" example.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Satire can still be racist. If I draw a satirical cartoon critical of Obama's drone warfare policy and I dress him up like a witch doctor, that would be both satirical and pretty racist. Charlie Hebdo also didn't appear to be doing the biting satire people want to give them credit for in retrospect. ISIS and other groups in the region are using Islam as a smokescreen, and the Charlie Hebdo satire was predicated on ignoring any other real world issues and taking that smokescreen at face value.

It was satire, and it was also garbage with collateral anti-muslim racist implications that were pretty lovely. Again, if this had been a satire of Israel with a bunch of drawings of hook-nosed jews, and Charlie Hebdo was shot up by an Israeli.. people here probably wouldn't be jumping as quickly to the FREE SPEECH canard that lets them spread a bunch of racist propaganda. I'm pretty sure it would be more nuanced in order to avoid accusations of anti-semitism. Nobody's afraid of being accused of being anti-muslim, though, and so people are just letting that poo poo fly because they agree with it.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It's funny that we're having a huge detail over Charlie Hebdo due to some guy using a tweet that 1) she didn't even make, and 2) in no way said that they deserved to be killed to call Anita Sarkeesian a "bad feminist".

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
To be fair, the tweet was written by Jonathan McIntosh, Anita's co/ghostwriter on Feminist Frequency, and while it may not make them bad feminists, it sure doesn't make them anybody I want to listen to or support.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If one person working on something saying one thing you disagree with is enough to make sure you don't watch/listen to/read/etc it, you must consume pretty much no media.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Mornacale posted:

It's funny that we're having a huge detail over Charlie Hebdo due to some guy using a tweet that 1) she didn't even make, and 2) in no way said that they deserved to be killed to call Anita Sarkeesian a "bad feminist".

What's more, the timing on that tweet might explain some. McIntosh has admitted to, basically, trolling. He's not making up opinions he doesn't hold, but has said he's deliberately dropped some things he actually believes, worded in ways that clearly piss off Gamergate, at times when smaller targets who may not be prepared for the onslaught found themselves in the harassment group's crosshairs.

The timestamp on that tweet is the evening of January 12th. Early on January 13th, there were news articles about how a Seattle web developer who was a Gamergate critic had someone attempt to SWAT him the previous night (failing only because the target had been informed he'd been doxxed, prompting him to call police and warn them someone might try that).

Seems pretty possible that the tweet there is a real belief that was packaged as to serve as bait to try and draw off the sick shits who were attacking that guy.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Who What Now posted:

I remember that very early in his "career" he just made fun of some creationists. It was typical smug atheist bullshit but 14 year old me thought it was funny. Then one day he shifted gears in it was nothing but "those loving WHORE WOMEN saying things I don't like! And those FILTHY IGNORANT BROWNS, too!" :aargh:

Seriously, gently caress that guy.

Right there with you, man.

I remember hearing about the fallout from the video and wondering if it was the same guy who basically used "atheists are always rational" as his schtick, now crying about how a lady punching a dude in the balls made up for being a hostage the whole game and the rabid feminists just hated his logic.

My scant year as a reddit atheist. Never want to go back.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This is probably the last one or two of the people on my friends list that posts poo poo like this, but holy poo poo this one.

Sorry in advance for the low res tiny text, there's no larger size versions of it.

Comments are pretty standard fare, i.e. apologists and false equivalencies, yada yada.

"Isn't it interesting how some of these 'anti-violence' groups are actually more violent than the groups they oppose?" Yes, I feel threatened most when I am surrounded by people who don't carry a lethal weapon on a daily basis.

"Never know when one of those crazy anti-gun moms will come flying out of nowhere..." :jerkbag:

Wait, what's this?

Where can I learn this martial art that gives my fists a range measured in hundreds of meters and traveling faster than the speed of sound? :stare:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

HiroProtagonist posted:

This is probably the last one or two of the people on my friends list that posts poo poo like this, but holy poo poo this one.

Sorry in advance for the low res tiny text, there's no larger size versions of it.

Comments are pretty standard fare, i.e. apologists and false equivalencies, yada yada.

"Isn't it interesting how some of these 'anti-violence' groups are actually more violent than the groups they oppose?" Yes, I feel threatened most when I am surrounded by people who don't carry a lethal weapon on a daily basis.

"Never know when one of those crazy anti-gun moms will come flying out of nowhere..." :jerkbag:

Wait, what's this?

Where can I learn this martial art that gives my fists a range measured in hundreds of meters and traveling faster than the speed of sound? :stare:

You must go on 1500 military tours first.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HiroProtagonist posted:

Still doesn't kill as fast as a gun though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Also ignoring why firearms became popular to begin with: you don't have to dedicate your life to them to be an effective killer with them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think of Anita's videos similar to seeing a movie about a social topic. You're not going to get the full story in 2 hours, and the director is going to take a few creative turns for entertainment value to keep the audience engaged over a 100% true story, but overall it's an introduction and it gets you thinking about it. It in no way will make you an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Business Fax Spam:

Hear that guys?? Now you don't have to sign up for Obamacare! Instead you can sign up for Affordable Care due to some vague Act!