Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SubponticatePoster posted:

No, I live in Utah. Hence "5 inches of snow is barely an inconvenience." I can only imagine Atlanta trying to deal with that. I never had a snow day in school, even when it snowed several feet. We're pretty used to it. Well, except this year when it's 50 degrees right now (late March weather) and it's only snowed any appreciable amount in the valley twice this winter.

The company I contract for has a customer service office about 40 minutes from Atlanta, so we got basically live coverage from the four women who worked there. Having never dealt with even a few inches of snow in their lives, just about everyone flew into a blind panic. They were abandoning cars along the side of the road in droves if they didn't think they could drive on the ice, people were locking themselves away from civilization like the end times were coming, and drivers who only knew how to drive in the summer were stomping on the gas and sailing into the ditches.

A lot of the problems could have been solved if they paused to think and use their eternal connection to the gigantic repository of networked human knowledge that is the internet and get advice on how to deal with the unusual weather, as opposed to using their lizard brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pravda on the Patoka

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Sorry Ben Carson, I didn't realize you had legit and realistic fears about gay wedding cakes.

See this is all about protecting gay couples from wedding cakes bought at the bakery run by evil stepmothers and queens from Disney movies.

This guy's not even going to make it to the drat primaries, he needs to slow the gently caress down.

I wanna open a gay-only bakery and deny him service. Then make it black-gay only, and deny service to all whites.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mineaiki posted:

So Republican governor of my state and potential 2016 US Presidential candidate Mike Pence has proposed a state news agency called Just IN.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/01/26/pence-starts-state-run-news-outlet-to-compete-with-media/22370005/

For some reason the Star expects people to pay to learn about news in Indiana, so I'll copy relevant parts.

Yes, a "fiscal conservative" wants to spend taxpayer money to create a conservative state spin-machine that will keep the liberal media (the INDIANA liberal media) from controlling the message. Let's base our public news source on the systems of hopelessly corrupt Illinois and the federal government's primary propaganda organ, only we'll talk about why unions are destroying the world and gays are evil.
This is especially hilarious if you know anything at all about Indiana's major newspapers, many once owned by the renowned liberal Quayle family (of vice-president Quayle fame) whose most memorable moment was refusing to put a picture of the recently-assassinated MLK Jr. on the front page with a quote to the effect of 'there ain't never been a n***er on the front page of this paper and there ain't never gonna be' or something to that effect and most recently (2014) had to retract a racist Thanksgiving cartoon.

These are the 'librul news media' that is being fought by the creation of the state-run news service.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

With enough wind, 5 inches can gently caress up some of the plains states, especially with the way they put big call center buildings on cheap land in the suburbs/exurbs. I worked at such a place a few years back and I think it was a 6" storm that came through. Since little else was nearby to stop what came from probably several cubic miles of snow-filled airspace, it all collected against the side of the big call center building in a drift about 25ft high and 150ft long, merging at the bottom with another drift coming up the embankment from the frozen pond outside. The storm didn't inhibit travel or anything except for the visual/slick conditions at the height of the storm, but you had the occasional "tail lights poking from a garage-sized drift." If you don't have anything to get in the way of sufficiently dry snow it just keeps blowing until it hits something. The lawn crews just ignored the drift once the engineers said the building would hold, and just cleared the walkways of the few inches they collected. God forbid the entryway was on the windward side, though. That could have been messy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

The company I contract for has a customer service office about 40 minutes from Atlanta, so we got basically live coverage from the four women who worked there. Having never dealt with even a few inches of snow in their lives, just about everyone flew into a blind panic. They were abandoning cars along the side of the road in droves if they didn't think they could drive on the ice, people were locking themselves away from civilization like the end times were coming, and drivers who only knew how to drive in the summer were stomping on the gas and sailing into the ditches.

nah

the problem was that it was a normal day, until the government said "come get your kids we're closing the schools" around noon and everyone hit the roads at the same time. atlanta already has enough problems with rush hour traffic and bad drivers that you only need a few people to wipe out on black ice to shut the whole thing down

everyone who has the option knows to stay home if there's potential snow because gently caress all that noise. nobody from my office went in that day except the tryhards and the people who recently moved here and haven't had an atlanta snow day yet

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It doesn't snow in the south, it ices. We don't have the infrastructure to deal with it because it happens infrequently to not warrant spending hundreds of millions of dollars on heavy machinery.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Some more interesting stuff about the Atlanta ice storm last year. The Southeast in general had a few traffic fatalities, but Atlanta itself had zero traffic fatalities during the storm, if I remember correctly, and there was a huge amount of good samaritans making food, gathering blankets, and bringing it to stranded drivers, and a load of people being offered to sleep in nearby houses. A bunch of folks were using their 4x4 trucks for driving stranded people back to their cars the following day too.

The fact that traffic stood still enough to allow all this to happen was a huge failure of leadership, but the Atlanta citizens acted really well for the ordeal :unsmith:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Even in cities where drivers know what to do and there's equipment, a few stuck vehicles will stop everything on limited access roads. Look at Chicago in 2011. An accident shut down all 4 northbound lanes of lsd, then the offramps south of that had stuck cars and that was that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Phone posted:

It doesn't snow in the south, it ices. We don't have the infrastructure to deal with it because it happens infrequently to not warrant spending hundreds of millions of dollars on heavy machinery.

I dunno, when you consider all the other poo poo government--federal, state, and local--wastes its money on I'd rather waste money on something that would enable me to be prepared for stuff like the absolute poo poo-show that happened last year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Maybe Governor Deal should hold a prayer rally whenever there's snow in the forecast. It worked for the drought, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Maybe Governor Deal should hold a prayer rally whenever there's snow in the forecast. It worked for the drought, right?

We would ask but no one can find him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

We would ask but no one can find him.

He's been raptured! :angel:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

he put together a 'task force' to investigate what happened, and when we got an earthquake a month later people were all asking if he was gonna put together a task force to investigate that too

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nutranurse posted:

I dunno, when you consider all the other poo poo government--federal, state, and local--wastes its money on I'd rather waste money on something that would enable me to be prepared for stuff like the absolute poo poo-show that happened last year.

NC passed a law outlawing measuring the rising ocean level because it'd harm the real estate market at the Outer Banks. "Planning for the future" isn't in the loving lexicon.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Joementum posted:

Could I get a good summary about what Nathan Deal is all about? I used to live in GA so I'm a bit curious.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

blunt for century posted:

Could I get a good summary about what Nathan Deal is all about?

Corruption

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Could I get a good summary about what Nathan Deal is all about? I used to live in GA so I'm a bit curious.

he's a huge corrupt shitfucker but he's OUR huge corrupt shitfucker *votes straight ticket R*

georgia politics have always, always been stacked against atlanta and the problem is getting worse as atlanta continues to increasingly dominate the state's economy, demography, and everything else important

this too: http://flagpole.com/news/comment/2014/10/22/gov-nathan-deal-and-the-longest-corruption-scandal-in-georgia-history

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

he's a huge corrupt shitfucker but he's OUR huge corrupt shitfucker *votes straight ticket R*

georgia politics have always, always been stacked against atlanta and the problem is getting worse as atlanta continues to increasingly dominate the state's economy, demography, and everything else important

this too: http://flagpole.com/news/comment/2014/10/22/gov-nathan-deal-and-the-longest-corruption-scandal-in-georgia-history

Sounds similar to our situation here in Florida where you have the Orlando/Tampa Bay/Miami/Keys/Gainesville bloc, then the rest of the state tells them all to shut up and pretend they're still part of the Deep South because the Republicans have the state government on lockdown (hooray the state government giving no fucks about voter suppression in Miami-Dade and Broward because they're all brown people).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Poor freshman state rep Todd Courser. Of all of the issues he prays about and strives to change about the lack of real conservative Christian values in Michigan's state government, there is one thing that weighs heavy on his heart more than any other, and which is why he published a 2,000 word screed about it yesterday. He's really unhappy about where they made him sit in the state house chamber. It may be a conspiracy from the agnostic leftists who don't want him to do God's work in Michigan.

http://www.toddcourser.com/house_seats/

Todd "5Head" Courser posted:

What about the seats?

It's hard at times to know what should and should not be shared with people about the mechanical processes of official government, nor what is even worth sharing, and how it affects them. As a representative my first duty is of course to God, then to my family, then my home district, and finally to the great people of our state that truly want a voice that is uncompromising in its advocacy for the cause of freedom and liberty. All of this should be done with a sense of decorum and civility that is due the respect of the office with which I have been entrusted.

This issue I need to bring to light today is that of the seat selection process in the House of Representatives. While the seat one sits in may seem trivial, there are much deeper issues going on at the root of what really happens. The following is the state law that governs seating on the House floor:

quote:

As a part of the organization of the house of representatives upon the first day of the first regular session of each legislature, the seats in the hall of the house shall be selected by the members in a manner as follows: The clerk shall call the names of the members having the greatest total length of service in the house who shall select a seat. In like manner, the clerk shall call the names of members in the order of their total length of service in the house, who shall select seats of their choice not already selected, down to and including those members commencing their second terms. If there are 2 or more members who have an equal length of service the clerk shall prepare a list of their names and place opposite each name a number, which shall be drawn by lottery as prescribed in this section for members entering their first terms. The clerk shall then prepare a list of members entering upon their first terms, listing the names of such members alphabetically and placing opposite each name numbers in consecutive order from 1, using as many numbers as are necessary. A box shall be provided in which shall be deposited numbered white balls, which shall bear the same numbers as those appearing on said list. A boy or girl, selected by the clerk, then being blindfolded shall draw from the box 1 ball and hand it to the clerk, who shall announce the number on the ball, and the clerk shall call the member's name found on the list opposite the corresponding number, who shall then select a seat not previously selected. In like manner all members entering upon their first terms shall select seats. Any representative-elect necessarily absent on the first day of the session may, in writing, appoint any representative to select a seat for him, and if no one appears for such absent representative-elect, then the clerk of the house shall make a selection for him, when his name is called.

This is not at all what happened during our first day as new representatives. The “lottery” was merely a charade; in reality, each of us was handed a card telling us in which seat we were to sit. When each name was drawn, we were instructed to “choose” the seat that had in fact been chosen ahead of time for us. This is clearly contrary to the intent of the law. First steps matter; the steps that are taken on the front end of a process determines where you end up in the weeks, months, and years ahead...

Many may wonder why I am making such a big deal out of this - does it really matter where we all sit? This is a critical issue for several reasons. First, I think it goes to the heart of the integrity of this particular process and the whole of the processes of state government that we are asked to administer; I think it is appropriate to take great issue with the fact that the first thing we were all asked to do as new representatives was to break a law and act in some sort of play for the public. This is the first set of steps on a path that is meant to set a precedent for how we are expected to behave: it's a do as you’re told and it certainly creates an inauspicious beginning for all of us who are sworn in. Secondly, the seats were assigned in a strategic manner such that forming coalitions between like-minded legislators is very difficult. Finally, the charade of seat selections is a small piece of a much bigger picture: go along with what those in power tell you to do, or be stripped of your ability to be an effective legislator.

quote:

"A box shall be provided in which shall be deposited numbered white balls, which shall bear the same numbers as those appearing on said list. A boy or girl, selected by the clerk, then being blindfolded shall draw from the box 1 ball and hand it to the clerk, who shall announce the number on the ball, and the clerk shall call the member's name found on the list opposite the corresponding number, who shall then select a seat not previously selected. In like manner all members entering upon their first terms shall select seats...."

This is how the machine keeps its grip on power. Unfortunately there are hidden politics and theater at every level and at times it's hard to even see the evidence, but in this current case it is strikingly clear. In so many parts, it still remains unnoticed and incomprehensible to the general public. Every appointment, committee, party, and person that is brought forward is done only with the permission of power and they are placed in these positions because they willingly submit to the authority of those who placed them. For things to change it is critical for the people to have an awareness of the way in which the intended system is twisted away from benefiting the people for political purposes and against good governance. For people to be aware, someone must be willing to sacrifice their positions and standing, and have the courage, grit and fortitude to step up and make people aware of how the process is working against the interests of liberty on so many levels. Taking these steps sometimes brings consequences; some subtle, some open, and some harsh and detrimental, but that does not negate the responsibility to be honest with the people of this state about where there is a charade of the process and give the people the opportunity to understand what is being done to them and why. If I am not willing to stand in these small moments then really I wouldn't deserve the support I received during my election and I would not be worthy of the position I have been entrusted with, both officially and also for the cause of liberty. For freedom to prevail to the next generation we must have people who are willing to forgo the easy road and be willing to stand for the right things at the right moment for the right reasons; if not, then power simply owns the process; shielded behind men, who appear all to well intentioned; advancing both tyranny and the self-interests of their political masters. Finally, if men and women are not willing to step up and speak about the way the machine has stolen away the liberty and freedom, then we have lost already.

The seat selection process was a very emotional moment for all of us and for myself and my family; unfortunately some of what happened that day was done outside the intent of the law regarding the seat selections and a fraud was perpetrated on the public trust. I need to set the record straight on how it happened: this is done with the hope that it will not happen this way again in the future. It has been my duty and my burden to be up front and honest about the way the whole political machine works and to make sure I am always watching for overreach of the power machine in its attempts to take advantage of the people’s House; to do my best, with the role I have been entrusted, to be the guardian at the gate, ever watchful and ever mindful of the inches and yards of freedom being taken by the massive progressive actions of the grinding power of government. The spirit of the law was to make sure the representatives were given equal opportunity to be a part of the legislature, while limiting the power of the speaker and those who are behind the speaker in the seats of power; and also to keep the elected representatives from becoming pawns in a charade, forcing the representatives to be at the mercy of the whims of the party bosses and to keep a check on the accumulation of power in the house leadership.

It is disrespectful to the districts of the representatives to have the representatives participate in a charade while making it appear the lottery occurred and that each representative made their own choice in the house chambers. I will not speculate as to why the leadership decided to take this course of action and assign the seats, nor will I speculate what their motive was in doing so, nor whether the leadership felt their actions were in line with having an open and fair process, but the way it was done held no dignity for the moment or the process or of course the voters. It is just incredibly demeaning to the public and the representatives to put on a show and act as though a non-discriminating process occurred. If the speaker wants the authoritarian power to assign the seats of each representative then he is fully able to put forward a bill in full view of the public for normal regular consideration, or if he believes that he has such authority then he should not have used the lottery system to hide such authority. For the record, I must say, I am completely fine with the seat I have been assigned, I have no complaints whatsoever, but that does not in any way make these actions any less disturbing or unlawful. Although covered in the perception of honesty and integrity, these actions were completely at odds with the honor due the offices and the people they represent.

Whenever such a political maneuver is done it's done in a way to force everyone into a spot where acting in a different way is smothered in a public moment, and doing anything different causes a lot of personal and political pain. In this case the seats were decided by the speaker through an intermediary whom, I would assume, is in full knowledge of the fact that it is being conducted outside the bounds of state law. The speaker's office assigned a man to assign seats; some knew ahead of time what seats they were given, and some did not know until they were standing at the desks to be sworn in. Their assigned seats were put in envelopes that were placed on our initial desks during the moments we were taken into caucus. Of course this whole process is wrapped behind a person who is seen as beyond reproach, which is how power acts when it wants to do something in full view of the public; this process looks impartial, but this doesn't make it any less offensive to the public, nor does it make it any more legitimate.

Others will have their own opinions on all of this and I understand that, but for me, I have to simply say you have my apologies for whatever part I played in perpetuating this fraud on the public. I ask for your forgiveness; your trust in me is something I do not take lightly or flippantly. My hope in bringing this forward to you is that in the future such things will not happen, and you as the public will be more informed and aware of the overreach of power into the official process. In all of this, I must say I have lamented my own actions, even if I am not really sure right now what would have been an alternative course of action in the moment; but for me I must say my actions did not rise to the level of the honor I have been entrusted with and you all have my most humble apologies for whatever part I might have played in assisting in this or perpetuating it.

In His Grip...

todd

P.S. Finally, for the record - it is important to understand that scripturally it is best to go to the person first and give them and chance to resolve the issue…while of course keeping an eye on grace and understanding...

P.S.S. Many have asked me to comment on a whole host of things over the last few weeks – Agema Issue, the twisting of Committees away from being effective for the conservative cause or for good governance, the MIGOP Chairman’s race, the real legislative process, and of course the seat selection process. I personally have been focused on the seats because I think this illustrates how important it is to have the public trust, how it can be lost, and of course why first steps matter for the integrity and credibility of all involved. I think it is absolutely crucial to understand how much first steps matter and that all of this says a lot about what will come, so at this moment the rest of these topics will have to wait a little longer...

The next two years are going to be amazing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Sounds similar to our situation here in Florida where you have the Orlando/Tampa Bay/Miami/Keys/Gainesville bloc, then the rest of the state tells them all to shut up and pretend they're still part of the Deep South because the Republicans have the state government on lockdown (hooray the state government giving no fucks about voter suppression in Miami-Dade and Broward because they're all brown people).

yeah pretty much

miami = atlanta in terms of size and global importance, tampa = savannah, everglades = appalachians, and orlando = columbus if you replaced disney world with a massive military base

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

God I love flagpole, if for the comments section alone. Georgia politics are also especially great when you're in one of the three (two and a half?) blue enclaves in this godforsaken state :smithicide:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Well that much is clear, what with disappearing for a while

Jesus Christ :stonk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't believe that Fox News is still editing people's pictures like that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Well that much is clear, what with disappearing for a while

he didn't hit the adultery trail disappear, he's just off gladhanding film and tv execs promising them how they won't get any taxes for ten years if they just move here and hire a few people to build sets and run cameras. he has to sneak out because he gets a lot of criticism about how it's not really a good deal for the state to bribe folks with tax incentives to attract a bare few jobs just to ease up on our horrid unemployment rate

if you're a twentysomething in the atlanta social scene you are guaranteed to know a good handful of people who work in the local film industry as well as at least a baker's dozen epidemiologists. the last time i dated i went on like six dates in a row with six different women who were all studying public health, it's weird

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

That is not a Fox News photoshop. That is a real picture taken from his website.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please pray for freshman Michigan Rep. Todd Courser. There's nothing wrong with him his head just looks like a Frankenstein.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
He's the legislative branch's starting qb.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

zoux posted:

Please pray for freshman Michigan Rep. Todd Courser. There's nothing wrong with him his head just looks like a Frankenstein.
What does he stuff in there? Judging from his letter it's not brains...

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

That is not a Fox News photoshop. That is a real picture taken from his website.

:joke:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You knew it was coming: the House will hold a vote to repeal Obamacare next week.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

You knew it was coming: the House will hold a vote to repeal Obamacare next week.

I thought replace was the new repeal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How has no one busted out that "definition of insanity" that politicians are mandated by law to mention once per speech?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

NC passed a law outlawing measuring the rising ocean level because it'd harm the real estate market at the Outer Banks. "Planning for the future" isn't in the loving lexicon.

It's a moot point anyway because the coastal real estate market's gonna be wiped out in a couple decades:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us/obama-plan-calls-for-oil-and-gas-drilling-in-the-atlantic.html

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

PostNouveau posted:

I thought replace was the new repeal?

They would need to agree on something in order to vote on what to replace it with. The house GOP can't even agree long enough to pass the border security portion of their piecemeal immigration reform package or 'abortion bad' bills right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

:black101: Come and Take It

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
It's also important to keep well-practiced at attempting to repeal obamacare.

The loss of muscle memory might hinder their technique in the future. You've gotta stay limber.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
So will it get to the White House? I could see some senate dems voting for cloture so Obama can break out the veto pen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

So will it get to the White House? I could see some senate dems voting for cloture so Obama can break out the veto pen.

Senator Thune has said it will at least get a vote in the Senate sometime this year, but I don't think the Republicans will get 60 votes for it.

Of course, there is this thing called budget reconciliation....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm curious how the "repeal obamacare" thing is supposed to work for people who got insurance on the exchanges. Do they lose their insurance? Keep it but suddenly start having to pay 100% of it? What about state exchanges, would they get shut down?

• Locked thread